[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The two main gods are the creator of the world and a gnostic-like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: blake06a.jpg (89KB, 709x534px) Image search: [Google]
blake06a.jpg
89KB, 709x534px
>The two main gods are the creator of the world and a gnostic-like god from beyond this cosmos offering liberation from this universe he claims is a prison
>Neither are evil or even really wrong
Could it works? How would make both religions feel different, opposed yet not evil?
>>
>>55406077
What isn't evil about Cthulhu coming from out of space and telling humans to kill themselves so they can stop having to be physical? That's not religion, that's widespread clinical depression.
>>
>>55406077
Kinda what >>55406106 said. The alien god is described as being so far removed from our reality as to be largely irrelevant for day to day life, unless you're crazy enough to try to liberate yourself from your mortal coil to join him. Why would a farmer or similar regular person care about such a deity, beyond "kids these days and their elder gods"?
>>
>>55406077
It could work in a metaphysical sense.
The monomyth is an idea offered to explain why the human angst exists. The idea is passed down by Creator (who is brother to mankind, mind you) and reinterpreted by man into the myriad cultures.
A proposed gnostic Outsider would then be offering a competing monomyth and be seditious as shit.
Of course then you'd have humans interpreting the Outsider as being the original and that the "Creator" is a pretender.
Really your system isn't much different from the current lines of gnostic thought. The only difference I can tell is there's this vague implication that your deities are at least partially manifest-able into singular, distinct forms.
>>
Are they equal in power or is one greater, and the other... trickier?
>>
>>55406283
inb4 Enantiomorph
>>
>>55406077
Rather than having the outside being be the "proper" Gnostic God, have it be a Buddha-like figure. He was able to step out of reality, figured out that it was a lot nicer there, and now he's showing everyone how. The material god is genuinely trying to make a nice place, and using the path out can make the universe unstable. Theoretically, both sides want humanity to have a good eternity, they're just using methods that sabotage the other's plan. Add in disagreement on how to live a good life and people who are well-meaning, but short-sighted, and you have a setup for a cosmic stalemate.
>>
>>55406106
>>55406140
I dunno, buddhists and hinduists are fine with thatm
>>
>>55406077
Spitballing here, but my instinct is that the liberator religion would emphasize self-reliance- you can't anticipate, necessarily, that anything you know in this world beyond yourself will come with you in the "jailbreak." When it comes to doing good, it teaches "have your own house in order first" and "you can't save anyone if you're a mess yourself." Detractors accuse it of being the sociopath religion that emphasizes "me first."

Mirroring that, the creator religion emphasizes harmony with the world- everything was made by the creator and has its place. You help your community and your community helps you, live with nature instead of against it (whereas the liberator might be more pro-technology despite being a bit more averse to societies). Families, friends, and social order are important. Detractors accuse it of discouraging change, challenge, achievement, or strife, while encouraging parasitic lifestyles and treating people like children.
>>
>>55406077
Isn't the outsider god a bit pointless if there is already an afterlife?
>>
File: 1465551288346.jpg (37KB, 546x512px) Image search: [Google]
1465551288346.jpg
37KB, 546x512px
>>55409122
What if the afterlife is also part of that prison?
What if Oblivion is the only true liberation?
I don't even know what's heretical anymore.
>>
bumo
>>
>>55409326
I can't imagine the good gnostic god would be powerless to free you from.the afterlife just because you died not knowing. Maybe you spend two eternities in heaven before it really drags on you then you unmake yourself with the gnostic help. Maybe heaven is all its cracked up to be and infinite eternities is fucking awesome despite what our mortal minds conceive.
>>
The two gods, whilst having different origins, work in tandem to the bulk of the religious. You spend your life serving The Creator, then when your time is coming to an end you give yourself to The Outsider. There's plenty of room for different interpretations and extreme schisms, and no-one's forced to choose between an early suicide and an eternal prison.
>>
>>55413372
Just re-read and realized opposition was wanted, yeah, this doesn't tick that box, my bad.
>>
>>55406077
Depend on boundaries of the world. Might work if mortal can find a way to see or even leave this realm for limited time, astral cord and all, not just accept chance blindly, while creator god provide protection from malevolent invaders from outside.
>>
>>55407091
Buddhism is Depression: the Religion anyways
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.