[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I narrate travelling through mountains to achieve a form

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 75e.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
75e.gif
2MB, 300x300px
How do I narrate travelling through mountains to achieve a form of suspension? Should I go Tolkien level of description or "you travelled three hours until you spotted [enemy]"?
What kind of interesting things might just be there that I could describe and the PCs could interact with?
>>
>>55402695
>What kind of interesting things might just be there that I could describe and the PCs could interact with?
Everything your party interacts with should be interesting. If it's not, why are you wasting time? If your party doesn't care about the context of what they are doing and just want to murderhobo, just throw more enemies at them and it doesn't matter what kind of enemies.
>>
> a form of suspension

wut?
>>
>>55402695
Tailor it to the urgency of their situation. If they're in a big fucking hurry, a sentence describing the scenery which " flies by as you gallop along the path to your destination!" If they're not in much of a hurry, spend a few sentences setting the general scene of the landscape and how it changes as they progress (eg. windswept stone slowly begins to give way to sparse woods as you make your way down from the pass". Maybe give them an interesting set piece to interact with as they go along which may or may not give them a side activity or a bit of information (which might become useful later). For example, a lake stop and rest at, or weathered statues of long-forgotten civilisations.
>>
>>55402695
Roll dice to determine how harsh the conditions are, like weather. Dice always tell the players that something COULD go very, very wrong.
>>
>>55402695
Give them choices and hazards. X path is safer but Y path is quicker. Roll Dex to keep your footing. Make a save against cold temperatures. You can erect some ropes but that's going to take a skill check. etc. etc.

Most DMs skip this for a reason, though.
>>
>>55402695
>What kind of interesting things might just be there that I could describe and the PCs could interact with?
Ruins of a castle from a long forgotten kingdom, entrance to a forgotten dwarven hold at the back of a cave, statues carved into the mountains, a community of people that haven't had contact with the outside world for centuries, several dragons gathering at a mountain peak for some unknown reason, a frozen monster no one has seen for millennia in a cave they rest in.
>>
I like throwing red herrings.
Telling one player they think they see somthing moving . Caves with nothing in them but a single gold coin, dark storm clouds .
>>
Say one sentence about something glorious happening and never mention it again. Maybe after few decades someone turn that sentence into 5min expensive as shit cgi.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.