[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ I need some advice. I've been looking to play a PC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: bluud.jpg (1MB, 1076x1600px) Image search: [Google]
bluud.jpg
1MB, 1076x1600px
/tg/ I need some advice. I've been looking to play a PC who is functionally a blood mage. Mostly applies to D&D type stuff, but any fantasy universe or system will also do for these suggestions.
Where do I begin, to make my character a compelling one that's based around blood magic?
How do I avoid being "edgy" (Though I understand that every mongoloid that's discovered the meme will call anything 'dark' that."
What would be a good motivation that would end up with them being nuanced and not evil?
>>
>>55398402
>blood mage without being edgy
You should quit now.
>>
>>55398402
What system and setting?

Also what the fuck do you mean by "blood mage"?
>>
>>55398424
>Mostly applies to D&D type stuff, but any fantasy universe or system will also do
Blood magic meaning magic that uses blood as fuel instead of mana or whatnot. Magic that is fueled by life or can maybe twist a being's physiology. See Dragon Age and Diablo for examples.
>>
>>55398402
Why have you been looking to play a PC who is a compelling character that's based around blood magic while avoiding being "edgy"?
Your answers will lead us towards the right sort of character.
>>
>>55398402
blood magic is inherently edgy.
>>
>>55398441
OP here. I always get pissed off when a particular type of magic can automatically identify an individual towards being 'good' or 'evil.' I understand that those are concrete concepts in D&D, and I've always felt that the alignment system, though quite iconic and useful, is also limited.
Say, what if my Blood Mage is a Surgeon or Chirurgeon? What if he uses his innate understanding of the mortal body and the energies within to heal or otherwise enhance a person for combat?
Why is a blood mage always seen as a person with little to no regard for life? Surely, a person who uses Life as their main resource would understand its value.
I dunno. I always hate it when people wave their hands in a story and say "ooga booga, evil magic!" Because it's never that simple.
A person can have access to dangerous tools, but it's up to him to decide how he uses them.
That's what I want my blood mage to be. A surgeon wielding a very sharp knife.
>>
>>55398402
Are we talking about the type that uses one's blood/life force as magical fuel or the type that can manipulate blood/anatomy?
>>
>>55398467
Either, both.
>>
File: Signiture.png (658KB, 1204x900px) Image search: [Google]
Signiture.png
658KB, 1204x900px
>>55398465
>I want my blood mage to be a surgeon wielding a very sharp knife using his innate understanding of the mortal body and the energies within to heal or otherwise enhance a person for combat.
Okay this is a good base to work towards.

First:
>>55398448
>blood magic is inherently edgy.
This is kinda true, but it absolutely can be worked against.

Resisting the Edge.
One of the main aspects of being "edgy" is that is done to seek attention.
Resisting that means not drawing attention to the blood magic and the blud.
A great way to do this is by simply treating it as if it was mundane and normal.
The summoning in Naruto is a good example of this.
It's not treated as blood magic or treated as dark and evil because of the blood.
It's just one more tool in the arsenal and everyone moves on.
>>
>>55398465
I guess the main issue with what you're trying to do is that D&D doesn't help you do it, in D&D there's no real cost to doing magic and no gain to be made in making the said sacrifice. The only way to do the kind of character you're interested in would be that the entire group buys into the idea that in this setting magic always has a cost, otherwise, it's hard to justify why your character gets his power from causing harm when other options exist.
>>
File: Questions.png (822KB, 982x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Questions.png
822KB, 982x1066px
>>55398579
Another method to resist the edge is to actively avoid other aspects of edginess.
By making a helpful, cheerful healer wielding fierce blood magic and dedicate to group, you would already be distancing yourself from a lot of edgy aspects.

Which brings us to character.
The best way to avoid being "that edgy PC" is to be "Firstname McLastname the Trait Role".
The more human and developed you make your character, the more the character seems like a person instead of a set of aspects, some of which are edgy.

Been meaning to crop this image up for a while.
It might help.
It's from the Complete Book of Villains
>>
If you've got the Scion books, the Aztec signature character is a good one to examine for attitude.
>>
>>55398402
1. World of Darkness. All vampire, kindred of the East, ghouls are basically blood magic users. Some vampire hunters too.
2. Savage Flower Kingdom has a skill/perk "blood magic" that allows you to power spells with health when you run out of mana.
3. Barbarians of Lemuria has multiple ways of powering magic including sacrificing animals and humans, sacrificing your own blood, whatever...
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.