[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the silliest monster you put in your games that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 27

File: killershrews4.jpg (58KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
killershrews4.jpg
58KB, 600x450px
What is the silliest monster you put in your games that's still a genuine threat to your party?
>>
Master Splinter and the TMNT(lizardmen and a wererat) killed one of my players in a early sewers quest
>>
Just one lizardman shaman. Thing is I always make him summon dinosaurs and for some reason this scares my party.
>>
The Grither
>>
Speckled Jim, the 1000 ft. tall Pidgeon. He was once a normal bird, but fell into a vat of radioactive glitter. Angry and confused, he proceeded to tear through the city of Metroville, doing such things as: pecking at glass skyscrapers, take a giant poop on the statue of the city founder, and attempt to make a nest on roof of Durkle's Donuts.
>>
Dr. Mengele's soul inhabiting a mass of corpses.
>>
>>55394196
My party fought a group of demons that steal voices and can only be killed by hearing themselves laugh. They went around the town butchering people while the party did weird silent slap stick bits. I can only imagine the confusion of the poor civilians
>>
>>55394340
>>
>>55394196

Ok, but Killer Shrews actually isn't a bad movie. Plot-wise, it's a LOT like an earlier, sillier Dawn of the Dead.
>>
>>55394196
We once fought reverse centauricorns. They ate half the party and we would've had a TPK had one party member not trapped them all in a warehouse with himself and enough gasoline to bring a tear to michael bay's face.
>>
>>55394868
>reverse centauricorns
So they were... people with unicorn heads?
>>
>>55394196
A horde of thousands of retarded, subterranean lizard men, along with their massive queen.
>>
File: unicorn-mask1.jpg (36KB, 398x332px) Image search: [Google]
unicorn-mask1.jpg
36KB, 398x332px
>>55394919
>>55394868
How horrifying
>>
File: itballoon.jpg (90KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
itballoon.jpg
90KB, 1200x800px
>>55394196

Pic related. None of my players have seen the movie or its remake. And likely will not. I am mostly basing it off the book version.

So far its fun. Game is Call of Cthulhu.
>>
>>55394986
Like that, except with a torso or arms, so just the unicorn head and human legs. The had no digestive system and terrible balance, which by the crazy logic of the setting meant that they had to eat a hundred times their weight in human flesh a day to survive and had the speed and strength to accomplish that. They were really fucking terrifying. The moment a party member was knocked unconscious was when the entire hoard converged upon his unconscious body in a feeding frenzy, giving us no opportunity to save anyone that was downed, unlike every previous combat where the greatest threat of death to us were ourselves.
>>
>>55395190
meant to say "without a torso or arms"
>>
>>55394196
Giant toads. The party was ambushed in a swamp by four of them, nearly got eaten alive. It also didn't help that the mud was actually 40% tar and they used fire spells, causing the mud to light on fire and spread, cutting off their exit and requiring a dashing leap through the flames.

I also ran a session with attractive mermen leading the party to die by horrible fish women.
>>
File: worried gaston.jpg (80KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
worried gaston.jpg
80KB, 1920x1080px
>>55395190
>All of that
That sounds absolutely horrifying what the fuck, anon.

please tell me more
>>
Giant nannerpuss. I gave it a thing to where when it hit half health it slapped around in several different directions and it managed to finish off the fighter and down the wizard.
>>
>>55395311
The DM hinted that they are scattered across the multiverse, possibly originating from a home plane just chock full of them, close to bursting. It was my only game with him, but his other players confirmed that these abominations premiere in all his campaigns. The ones we ran into this time were an organized crime ring and a smuggling operation, wore fedoras, and introduced themselves with "whiney".
>>
>>55395593
>They're sentient
I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse, honestly.
>>
>>55394196
I got tired of my party just dumping their mounts everywhere so I have their dead horses rise as revenants and pursue them.
>>
>>55395593
It's another episode of "Dm had a bad mushroom/dmt trip but he'll if I can use that in a campaign"
>>
Calzone golem. Only newfags won't recognize where it's from.
>>
>>55395818
The game was at university. I don't know him well enough to know if he was taking drugs, but I know he's a mathematics and philosophy major if that contributes to anything.
>>
>>55394196
Troll Santa Claus, and his magic flying reindeer squad, including a special one that shot heat rays out its nose.
>>
We had these magical beasts called Rabbers.
Rabbers were, basically, humans with rabbit heads like pic related.
Fuckers were vicious, they were sentient but they couldn't talk and were absolutely insane.
They swarmed the party and atacked with axes, they ran like motherfuckers and could jump houses.
They ended up killing 3 out of 5 characters, and the other two only survived because they stole two horses and ran the fuck away. The characters ended up with PTSD and couldn't even come close to rabbits without having panic atacks.
>>
>>55395818
>that sentence
bad 'shrooms goin round, man...
>>
They were sent to save a princess. It was a trap. The whole room - complete with well-stocked wardrobe (dresses, gowns, lingerie, you name it) - was an army of animated objects, cloakers, mimics, and the like, and the room itself was a genius locus.
>>
>>55395141
Did I hear the words "underage gangbang?"
>>
A Halfling Ranger/Paladin with a Giant Rabbit animal companion that also counted as his paladin mount in 3.5e.

He rode around on it with a lance and plate armour, he frequently served as a friend/kinda rival to the party. Until the time they uncovered his background story where the rabbit was actually the old king who went missing years ago, and the Halfling was actually a servant of the new king who was going around brutally murdering anyone who might oppose him.

All those Paladin levels ended up being Blackguard ones.
>>
>>55394196
During the first DnD campaign I ever DM'ed, the party had a random encounter with a Cryo-Hydra in a swamp. They beat it up pretty quickly, but it managed to escape into a bog a swim away before they could finish it.

For the rest of the campaign, the party kept joking that the Cryo-Hydra would come back and attack them when they least suspected it, seeking revenge.

We reach the last session. The BBEG had some kind of ultimate weapon he would unleash. I was hyping it up for quite some time, having entire villages laid to waste, but the party had no idea what it was.

Finally, in the last battle, the BBEG unleashed his ultimate weapon...

MECHA CRYO-HYDRA
>>
File: 1503206221947.jpg (45KB, 653x655px) Image search: [Google]
1503206221947.jpg
45KB, 653x655px
An audiophile lich who gave us massive debuffs by playing shitty music, it was at this point the GM (my brother) starts playing music from my collection
example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf5uJYGoiU
>>
>>55395959
What a classic. A silly, silly classic.
>>
>>55395141

If you said monsters and childish things. Then I would be really concerned. For the players safety.
>>
File: Camio.jpg (96KB, 344x387px) Image search: [Google]
Camio.jpg
96KB, 344x387px
Don't have an image but his name is
"Rickety Cricket" he's a gaint 5ft tall bi-pedial cricket that wears a top hat and can move at flash speeds.
He mostly fucks with the party from time to time and has multiple personality disorder.
>>
>>55394196
A talking pig that whenever they hit it it became larger and tougher to hurt. They attempted to use volume/size ratios to kill it. it responded with "Its magic genius! The Zodiac court cares not for your pitiful science." Then it got stuck in a gorge, and was unable to move.
>>
>>55395190
Creepy af. I'm definitely adding a few of them in my campaign
>>
>>55396799
King is such a weirdo.
>>
>>55394196
My Dark Heresy group fought a Tzaangor, which I accidentally made comical because how the fuck do you make scary bird noises? It then proceeded to nearly kill one PC and an NPC, by itself.
>>
>>55394196
My GM homebrewed a monster called a "buttsqueazel", which would lurk in dark areas and reach out and grab you with its horribly long and strong arms, dragging you away to death.

The thing's face, when we saw one, was a dead ringer for her husband's.
>>
>>55396199
I will defiitely add them to my campaign. Very creepy
>>
>>55395141
Movie's end was literally a dungeon and a boss fight.
>>
The Carp.
>>
>>Playing Delta Green
>>Key witness is a child in a hospital, surrounded by armed police and dozens of media reporters trying to figure out what just happened at some spooky location
>>Players are half cops, half random friendlies
>>Use disguise and persuade rolls to make it inside the cop's perimeter
>>Want an interview with the girl
>>Have to face Mr. Eryle

Pic related. An imbecile of a child psychologist, who uses a sock puppet of Sigmund Freud to communicate with abused children, rolled a crit to realize they were all out of place, had zero jurisdiction, and might be conducting a private investigation of their own. The party just barely got away, and are now plotting an attempt to beat the information out of Mr. Eryle in his office.
>>
>>55394196
A bear with tentacles, that was inexplicably found in the middle of an asteroid turned into space station.
>>
A burning emaciated corpse that ran like a girl and made a high pitched screaming sound.

It almost wiped the party.
>>
>>55401563
lol
>>
File: 1472742178578.jpg (64KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
1472742178578.jpg
64KB, 599x449px
>>55397254
>>
>>55394196

A giant beaver.
>>
>>5539448 Would you have problem if i steal your idea,
>>
>>55395211
Just a unicorn head on human legs?
>>
>>55394196
Audrey 2.
A giant carnivorous potted plant spellcaster that ruled a tribe of vegepygmies.
I had fun with it. They players did too, judging by the Tiefling who protested that she shouldn't be eaten first because she was currently pollinating.
>>
File: Flail_snail-1e.jpg (38KB, 350x381px) Image search: [Google]
Flail_snail-1e.jpg
38KB, 350x381px
>>55394196
>All these crazy answers
>Not going back to the basics
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 193x261px
Flumphs

Specifically, Flumph guards in the underdark. Party murderhoboed one trying to give a hand.

TPK.

Don't fuck with Flumphs.
>>
File: Rest Easy.jpg (360KB, 710x508px) Image search: [Google]
Rest Easy.jpg
360KB, 710x508px
>>55401054
>>
>>55402894
>tpk
Cr1! How!?
>>
>>55402894
>Attacking a fucking flumph
>Flumphs are universally friendly to adventurers because "oh god finally, someone who isn't absolutely pure evil down here!"
Are your players idiots?
>>
>>55402847
>>55402894
Why not have a Flumph Paladin riding a Flail Snail.

>Flumph: "Onward my noble steed! To victory!"
>>
>>55402899
Least it wasn't a Zombie Giant Sponge.
>>
>>55394196
Our DM sicced a pack of Howlbears on us once. Nearly wiped half the party.
>>
>>55402992
*Those* aren't mobile.
>>
>>55403043
But what if they were?
>>
>>55403110
Pull the lever.
>>
>>55403143
But sir, the Sponges are capable of flight! There's no guarantee the lever will even work!

>[SCREAMS SEMIPOROUSLY]!
>>
>>55396799

Obligatory "it was a train, not a gangbang, REEEEEEE"
>>
>>55403220
Then shut and lock the doors! We have a well and internal farms, we'll leave the monster to the seasonal traders!
>>
>>55402899
Srsly. It was first game for them. I prepared cute little village, quest chain, some forest cult etc.
First thing they say to me that "We want something with alot of crafting and freedom like df", ditch all the hooks and go fishing to "amass food for the winter".
I throw a fishmonster with maxed out physical stats at them.

Like really a bad thing to do, but it worked. They throw away /v/ision and start playing they characters
>>
>>55402847
FLAIL
SNAIL
>>
>>55396799
Wasn't a gangbang though. It was a trainwreck.
>>
>>55403760
Four Words:
Awakened
Flail
Snail
Barbarian.
>>
File: Sunflower_Idle.gif (746KB, 203x219px) Image search: [Google]
Sunflower_Idle.gif
746KB, 203x219px
>>55394196
I needed random artefacts to round out an Inquisitorial vault of the Ordo Xenos, and wanted some kind of alien biosample in a stasis field.
I chose pic related off the top of my head; I was really flying by the seat of my pants.
One player, who has a near-suicidal fondness for poking things to see what happens most uncharacteristic of an Astartes of the Carcharodon Astra, decided to disable the stasis field, and it started bobbing.
Then he tried to touch it and it leapt on him, rolling a 10 and a 9 on 2d10+8 Warp Weapon and giving him 1d5 Corruption per round until he could get it off by screaming and thwacking it off his gauntlet with a chainsword.
>>
>>55394196
Large carp. No seriously, we almost had a party wipe from those fuckers.
>>
>>55402414
What kind of beaver are we talking about here?
>>
>>55394196
A "manotaur." As an NPC described it: "One half: man! Other half: DIFFERENT man!"

Also it reared up on its hind legs to quadruple-wield weapons, because of course it did.
>>
>>55394196
I knew a DM who liked to occasionally make extremely weird worlds. He once made a world infested with giant carnivorous hamburgers, with the idea being that the party were in a constant struggle to find food that wouldn't eat them from inside.
>>
File: CatDog.jpg (20KB, 262x197px) Image search: [Google]
CatDog.jpg
20KB, 262x197px
>>55406670
So it's like...two dudes arranged in a CatDog configuration? Or two dudes glued back-to-back?
>>
>>55407191

Maybe like Goro from mortal kombat?
>>
>>55394196
A dance-battling mummy monk. Mummy rot still hurts even if it happens because a blinged out undead does a headspin.
>>
File: Mantaur.jpg (59KB, 500x520px) Image search: [Google]
Mantaur.jpg
59KB, 500x520px
>>55407191
>>
File: Womantaur.png (140KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
Womantaur.png
140KB, 500x497px
>>55407506
Oh.
>>
>>55394196
Giant mutant banana-nut muffin monster
fucking thing ate a few thousand citizens before the pcs caused a civil war within an intelligent ant society to get them to devour it
Alpha complex is a silly place
>>
>>55407535

I mean its human enough for me. Infact its alittle extra human.
>>
>>55395141
That is great inspiration. "It" is one of those cases where the book has ten times the depth that the movies and culture would have you believe
>>
>>55394196
A giant monstergirl.

She broke a guy's back and caused massive internal injuries, picking him up and shoving him in her vagina.
>>
>>55407696
So did Beverly, apparently.
>>
File: 1444677571127.png (40KB, 152x254px) Image search: [Google]
1444677571127.png
40KB, 152x254px
>>55407535

I've found a new one.
This is a special day.
>>
File: Bipedal Rust Monster.png (2MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Bipedal Rust Monster.png
2MB, 1200x1600px
>>55394196
Rust Behemoth. It was hilarious for everyone not wearing metal armor since it was like a big puppy dog. Except the paladin, whom promptly shit himself and ran away as it chased after him and ate his armor.
>>
>>55394196
Rape-apes. Half fiend ape that try to rape mortals. They're all female.
>>
>>55409109
Dare ye enter my magical realm?
>>
>>55396199
If you have stats for them I would fucking love them, they're just the right amount of unsettling but mortal I want.
>>
>>55407856
Seriously, what the hell was king thinking
>>
>>55408420
I'm sending my players into a rust monster-infested mine in a session or three, post stats/what system?
I had originally planned for it to be 3 silver dragon hatchlings driven mad by malnutrition from rust monsters eating their egg yolks, but that could work better.
>>
>>55411662
Basically used an Umber Hulk from DnD 5e as a template for stats and slapped on some of the rust monster's traits on it such as being able to smell ferrous metals within a set range, non-magical metal weapons rusting on contact with its body, etc.. Also added an acidic bite attack that does piercing damage and rusts on hit instead of standard normal bite of rust monster.
>>
>>55394196
I have a tradition of making the first encounter of a game starting at level 1 a gang of housecats. They have claimed a few characters over the years. It serves both as a way to break the ice for new players, but also as a humble reminder that sometimes, you get fucked for no good reason.

Another time, a random NPC (a baker, if I remember correctly) one of my players murdered early on kept coming back, increasingly reanimated into stronger and stronger bodies. He wound up replacing the BBEG I had planned on.
By the end of the campaign, he had become an undead cyborg vampire, with touches of fey, demonic, devilish, and angelic origin, had become a petty god of sea birds, had become an efreet, and then became a psionic and literally willed himself back to life one last time, whatever that makes him. He straight-up murdered the previous BBEG after his final big speech in the last fight, and went down for good that time.
After the first fight, he got his own theme, and I've sometimes screwed with those players since by either playing something similar, or just "accidentally" revealing it on the playlist for the night.
He did come back one more time in a game that specifically had a tournament full of weirdos, but that doesn't really count.
>>
>>55411650
He wasn't, he was writing.

Sometimes, when you are writing, you get so involved in the writing and what is going on, you don't stop to think what other people will think. You are writing the piece and what happens is you follow the thought process involved in the writing and just put it on the paper, because that's what would happen in the story with the elements you're already working with. There isn't any consideration for the readership or the editors or the standards of society, there's just the story and how things work within it weather anyone outside of the story cares or not. And when you're finished you look at it and realize, "holy crap, people will shit their pants over this". Then you have the choice to let it stay as is, or rewrite it and hope top whatever powers that may be that you can write somethign half as coherent and suitable for the story to appease those pesky readers and editors.

King chose to let his editor make the decision, and I don't blame him one bit.
>>
>>55413956
I love this guy.
>>
The muscle wizard.
Well, not a monster persee andhe became more of an ally since the group managed to talk it out with him, but he was designed as a freak of nature that uses magic and muscle mass to flex everyone and everything into submission.
He is my favorite.
>>
>>55394340
Love it, weaponise jim
>>
>>55395966
Can confirm, drugs or not- he was crazy. Spinozzaaa! *shakes fist*
>>
Miss Penelope

An amalgamation of 4-9 faulty clones of a long dead fashion model (humans doesnt exist in my setting, only faulty clones exist)

Miss Penelope hoards any cosmetic stuff or anything that she deems to be 'fashionable', she almost killed one of the players for a lipstick which is worth a fortune in the current economy in my setting.
>>
>>55411650
He was probably thinking "I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE!"
>>
>>55394291
Were they young when jurassic park came out?

I know if you have me fight either a pack of raptors or a 20ft crab monster, I'll be terrified of the raptors.
>>
>>55416343
I'd probably be more afraid of the raptors too unless the crab was sufficiently scary/threatening on its own.
>>
File: BOC_CultErec[1].jpg (61KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
BOC_CultErec[1].jpg
61KB, 350x350px
Catoblepas.

>Lake area in Curse of Strahd is kinda boring
>Put a Catoblepas from Volo's on the bottom of the lake, no one will ever find it but it's cool to have one there.
>Players are chasing the subplot with the kidnapper fisherman
>Row out on the lake in boats
>Lolsorandum dwarf revenant player decides to jump over the side and sink to the bottom because he's bored

Well... Fuck

>He sinks to the bottom, doesn't need to breathe because lol undead
>Starts exploring the lake bed while the other PCs dick around hunting for the kidnapper
>Is actually roleplaying underwater exploration really well, using darkvision and probing ahead in the mud with his sword
>He starts going to the deepest part of the lake
>Casts detect good/evil
>Catoblepas is neutral

"You sense an aura... It's neither demonic nor angelic. But whatever it is, it's incredibly old, and incredibly strong."

>Other players stop what they're doing all at once
>All eyes are on the dwarf
>"I head straight for it."
>He finds an enormous mound of dark mud on the bottom, something is sleeping under it
>Other players are shitting bricks now
>"Don't do it man!"
>,,,
>"I poke it with my sword."

Session ended with the players fleeing the lake, Catoblepas in hot pursuit, death-raying them every few turns. I used pic related for its illustration because the book illustration is stupid. It nearly instant killed half the party and they never, ever went back to that lake. Luckily they did complete the quest though.

Overall I'm very pleased with my creepy use of a very silly stupid monster. I basically implied it's a prehistoric beast that's been sleeping there for eons. Not even Lord Strahd knew it was there, because he never bothered to look.
>>
>>55394730
I see House and Mr.Bean, but sauce?
>>
Horse-sized ducks.
>>
>>55394196
Giant wraithbone bookworm in an ancient Eldar library on an abandoned, ring shaped craftworld.
>>
>>55419130
You haven't wathced Blackadder, anon?

I do hope you had nothing important in mind for the next 12 hours. It's got Stephen Fry, Brian Blessed and everything!
>>
>>55419307
I can imagine a group of duck riders flying in a v formation through the sky.
>>
File: ProudHeritage.png (256KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
ProudHeritage.png
256KB, 576x432px
A crab with a sword who later gained class levels. It challenged the magus to a duel; the magus lost. Somehow through the power of magic bullshit, the crab with a sword then gained magus levels and stole the character's sword. Somewhere under the sea, that crab is casting maximized shocking grasp on a squid.
>>
>>55419083
I'm just imagining the dwarf guy sitting at the table, everyone else just staring at him with varying degrees of hostility, and he just stares back and says, "I poke with my sword," in a very angry, petulant way.
>>
uma delicia
>>
File: Bonolenov_card_07_SR.jpg (52KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
Bonolenov_card_07_SR.jpg
52KB, 640x800px
>>55407486
>A dance-battling mummy monk
>>
>>55400577
Is there also an aluminum monster?
>>
File: Mars Rover.png (4MB, 2889x2529px) Image search: [Google]
Mars Rover.png
4MB, 2889x2529px
A demonically possessed mars rover. It had no weapons or tools which could effectively be repurposed as weapons and was limited to ramming into ankles.

A long chain of events involving PCs backstabbing each other and a catastrophic yodeling-induced avalanche later, the campaign ended with a TPK and the rover perched triumphantly atop the heap of corpses.
>>
File: training_complete.png (271KB, 1050x800px) Image search: [Google]
training_complete.png
271KB, 1050x800px
>>55394196
Nilbog
>>
File: tumblr_nevs1zFZjX1rg5dd5o5_250.gif (2MB, 245x160px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nevs1zFZjX1rg5dd5o5_250.gif
2MB, 245x160px
>>55419130
That particular image is from Blackadder goes forth.
>>
>>55394196
Had the party investigate a crashed spaceship on a jungle planet. One of the containers that had mostly survived had been carrying Tribbles. There had been a trail of dead and mostly consumed native life around and beyond even the impact crater, but they still poked around. They were not expecting a composite ball of fur the size of a Humvee to lurch out at them. Gods I miss running that game.
>>
>>55422283
good luck everyone
>>
>>55422181
>blossom's bow tied on the front of the bangs
>>
I had my party of murderhobos go up against a literal group of murderhobos led by a rat man. They wiped them pretty easy, but they will return
>>
>>55422181
>Worm's goblin king

Evacuate the area!
>>
>>55420384
I'm stealing this lmao
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.