[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /tg/ I just ran into a situation at my friend's last

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: death curse.gif (45KB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
death curse.gif
45KB, 356x200px
So /tg/ I just ran into a situation at my friend's last campaign.
>Playing a custom system that a friend is making.
>In said custom system, magic ends if you're unconscious.
>Last session, party mage dies in one hit.
>Before death, cursed a monster to have a massive penalty to his rolls.
>Tries arguing that because he was killed, rather than KO'd, the spell is still active.
Now, we tried arguing with him about this crap for about ten minutes until the GM decided to end the campaign for the night and let us go our merry way.

Luckily, it happened around the time when we were going to end the campaign anyways but it got me thinking, is there a situation where magic can be dispelled from rendering someone unconscious but not if you kill them outright?
>>
>>55377059
that depends on how afterlife works there OP, imagine, for example if in the afterlife the dude was completely functional just disembodied

like if you go and chop a fuckers head off, does he go unconscious before he dies or does he just become a ghost?
>>
>>55377059
On a logical level, I'd say the spell obviously ends, as the intent is clearly that when the mage is disabled or killed, their magic is too. Given that the person making the system is probably available, why don't you just ask him his intention with the situation? It's probably just an oversight on his part in the letter of the rules.
>>
>>55377110
As far as my friend's system is concerned, we don't really have a good idea as far as what happens after death.

Then again, I also never really asked about it and I don't know if he's passing notes between other players between games or something so who know?
>>
>>55377186
According to the pdf he sent us, it pretty much says that if you're rendered unconscious, and active spell effects that you created beforehand automatically ends.

The dude whose mage died argued that because it didn't mention anything about death, that meant that the spell persists after death even though we argued that once you're dead, you're basically locked in an unconscious state, or something to that effect.
>>
>>55377059
Your friend wrote the system. Ask him.

Why are you even bringing this up with us? You haven't posted the rules you're working with, so there's no possible way we could know.
>>
>>55377110
Even if there is an afterlife where the player's ghost may be conscious and able to control their spells, their character would likely blackout before outright dying. Now sure this is a game and games aren't real life, so ultimately the GM makes the call, but realistically when you die you usually first lose consciousness because your brain shuts down from a lack of blood flow. If the ruling is that being incapacitated ends a spell's effects, I'd say that death wouldn't make sense to work differently than being ko'd.
>>
>>55377222

I suppose it depends on whether his curses are considered active or not, less then whether he died or got knocked out after casting. To me a curse is a passive effect, you cast it, it does its thing and you don't think about it until it's time to redo it. If he has to spend effort keeping the curse on, like an action every turn, then it becomes an active effect.
>>
>>55377059
But a death curse is by far the more interesting alternative! It would make for a setting where mages need to be knocked out before they can be killed.
>>
"How do you die without losing consciousness?"

Is the first thing that comes to mind. I haven't seen your DM friends notes so i'm not sure how the HP system works, but if someone dies its a safe assumption that they passed some kind of threshold to be considered unconscious
>>
>>55377732
Maybe it's like, you die so fast that you don't even realize that you died.
>>
>>55377059
Conscious is defined as:
Aware of and responding to one's surroundings.
Conversely, Unconscious must mean to be unaware of and not responding to one's surroundings.

Dead people are neither aware of, nor do they respond to, their surroundings.
Ergo, dead people are unconscious.
>>
>>55377059
Most spells? Yes.

Curses?

Those are practically fated to carry on forever after death.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.