[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question regarding two axes alignments and characters with hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: two-axes.jpg (61KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
two-axes.jpg
61KB, 1920x1080px
Question regarding two axes alignments and characters with hard requirements on them. Is one of the axis subordinate to the other?

I warned one of my players not to make a lawful stupid character because they are boring, but he went with a Paladin anyway. In order to make his life miserable, the party has shipwrecked on an island nation with an economy powered by involuntary slavery, and laws demanding return of freed slaves.

I plan on having an enslaved woman beg the party to free her baby from a life of indenture. This should fuck Dudley-do-right since he has to either violate the lawful alignment or the good alignment.

I just want to make sure that he can't weasel out of it by saying the lawful axis is subordinate to the good axis.
>>
File: 0xUiLTG.jpg (18KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
0xUiLTG.jpg
18KB, 704x396px
>>55368918
Alignment is a chart, not a grid.
>bait
>>
>>55368918
this is bait
>>
>>55368918
I will also reply to your bait post
>>
>>55368918
You can choose which laws your character interprets as lawful. You don't need to follow evil laws after all.
>>
>>55368918
Does the Paladin's god prohibit slavery? If so, by freeing the baby they are following the laws of their god.
Even if that isn't a factor, being lawful doesn't mean following laws robotically. It just means acting like the straight-laced one in a buddy cop movie.
If a law is unjust, then there is no reason that a LG Paladin should follow it.

On top of all that, there must be a way to get the baby free legally. Maybe offer to buy it off of however owns them, Anakin style?

>>55369200
also this
>>
>>55369259
>>55369292
Surely deities that support law and order do not want their representatives disregarding laws because they are inconvenient?

> Maybe offer to buy it off of however owns them, Anakin style?
Here's hoping Dudley doesn't think laterally.
>>
I get that this is bait, but I know there are DMs that think this way, so I have to ask why a DM would be so mad about a character choice that they would go out of there way to ruin the fun of one or all of the players for there ego?
>>
File: FIXED IT.jpg (75KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FIXED IT.jpg
75KB, 1920x1080px
>>55368918
>>
>>55369644
> Ego

Anon, not even close. It's when your players emerge, bloodied and exhausted, despite every ounce of vitriol and hate you've thrown at them for every choice that they make... Only then will they discover the true fun.

It's why I love D&D. It lets you craft scenarios to shit all over anything your players want to do but still provides them with the mathematical means to yank it back from your cold and wretched hands.
>>
>>55369452
Again, you're not supposed to follow unjust laws.
>>
>>55369780
>I plan on having an enslaved woman beg the party to free her baby from a life of indenture. This should fuck Dudley-do-right since he has to either violate the lawful alignment or the good alignment.

It lets you craft scenarios to shit all over anything your players want to do but still provides them with the mathematical means to yank it back

I know you may not be OP but it seems you are defending his point of view which seems to conflict with what you are saying. The OP wants to make a situation in which the paladin is guaranteed to fall no matter what. There is no "mathematical" means to take back the narrative in the scenario the OP wants to occur.
>>
>>55369987
So now paladins are really just Neutral Good?
>>
>>55369990
Nothing wrong with crafting hard scenarios and then relying on the players to fuck your best laid plans. Someone already pointed out that the party could just pay the slave owner for the child. I like this option as it hamstrings the entire party in order to appease the Paladin's requirements.
>>
>>55370068
No, the law that he follows is his paladin's oath not the law of whatever land he is currently in. Lawful characters follow a certain code or set of ideals that they never break from, it's not that they blindly obey every law that an authority figure of any type makes.
>>
>>55370158
When you're right, you're right.
>>
>>55370068
No, they're lawful good and understand Kantian philosophy.
>>
>>55370220
Turns out the order/chaos axis (if people will even agree that it exists) is subordinate to the good/evil axis.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.