[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've started quantifying PCs' personal relationships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: l_tschorr_apeworship1.jpg (65KB, 432x343px) Image search: [Google]
l_tschorr_apeworship1.jpg
65KB, 432x343px
I've started quantifying PCs' personal relationships in order to make my players give a fuck about their survival and that of allied NPCs.

The presence of a single Loved One negates up to one point of morale penalty, but does not provide any bonuses. The presence of any additional Loved Ones provides a cumulative +1 morale bonus to everything you do.

Witnessing the death of a Loved One inflicts a -2 morale penalty. This penalty can be removed by passing (the equivalent of a) Will check with an impossible DC. One check per day, and the DC is lowered by one for each passing day.

They've suddenly stopped murderhoboing and backstabbing everything in sight and started actually giving a shit about each other's characters.

And all it took was concentrated, numerical autism.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>55364284
No amount of numbers is going to make roll-players and That Guys actually Roleplay. If anything, they're just going to game this too, as if it were any other rule.

Rules aren't the solution to bad players. Having the balls to kick the out of your group is.
>>
>>55364558
Sounds like they give at least token appreciation towards NPCs now instead of treating them like mobs from a MMORPG, which is an improvement.
>>
>>55364558
A bad player is someone that disrupts the group of real people trying to enjoy the game together. On the other hand someone that has a different style of play isn't a bad player.

You could point to real life analogues of these emotion rules and say that real life doesn't ask you to story your way out of a situation. It forces you to deal or take a handicap. Just like you can't story your way out of a real phobia, you don't get that choice, if mechanics don't reflect that disadvantage it's not likely to be taken seriously.

Game mechanics are supposed to be a tool to help you express what is going on, the gravity of the situation, and how it affects the characters. If you intend to run a game where the game mechanics run parallel as a separate system to the story then you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>55364284
Until someone starts storing his loved ones in droves in other-dimesnional space put under magical sleep for their own protection, to stack up those sweet bonuses.
>>
>>55364558
Rules ARE the solution -- making gameplay and narrative the same thing is good -- but this is a shitty, semi-bait version of that.
>>55365661
There's no reason for people to throw up their hands and say "well, I don't agree with how you play, but you don't disrupt me so you're not a bad player". They are a bad player, using whatever arguments you use to justify your own playstyle. They're just not a disruptive one, and you don't have to be a cock about it.
>>
>>55364284
Also consider looking into an idea like shadowrun's contact system to encourage players to think about NPC relationships as valuable.
>>
>>55365875
You're hilarious so you think a bad player is anyone that doesn't kumbaya and make shit up? Or anyone that doesn't play how you want them to?
>>
>>55364558
False!

Mechanics can help set the tone for the campaign, as well as give context for IC bullshit that allows the players to feel the effects.

Like all the time I hear people going on about "hurr HP not meat points LMAO!" and yet they expect me to believe them when a) shit like dodging and luck are already referenced in the rules by actual mechanics and b) you lose nothing from being at 1HP as opposed to full health.

If you want your players to treat something seriously, you need to be able to back up the event with a mechanic, even if it's a minor one.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.