[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello /TG/! ive been planning on getting into dungeons and dragons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

hello /TG/!
ive been planning on getting into dungeons and dragons with my friends, and i will be Dungeonmastering, and will be using the Curse of Strahd, but i have no idea how to describe things to the players, can i get some help? pic unrelated
>>
>>55357708
self bump
>>
>>55357708
Just be yourself.
>>
>>55357708

If you have the time I would suggest watching other DnD groups play on youtube. Critical Role is a particularly good example as all the players are voice actors. You can pick up little hints on how much detail to give, how to handle questions and explanations and a bunch of other useful tricks just by watching how an experienced group does it. Also check out DMtips on youtube, its done by Matt Coville who writes the DnD books.
>>
File: 1490713041854.jpg (67KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490713041854.jpg
67KB, 500x500px
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

The intro should give you a fair sense of what's expected of you. In general, how much you describe is really up to you, and it's probably good to err on the side of more, rather than less, so the players have plenty to interact with.

There's also a good amount of advice in the DM's guide, and it's probably best to read through that first and then ask more specific questions, because the best general advice you're probably going to get is largely just repeating what's already said in that book.
>>
>>55360613
>>55360564
thank you both, i will check all of them out, ive been watching projared vids but ironically for a guy who says he DMs a lot doesnt really have a lot for starting DMs, just how to act
>>
>>55360671
This is a good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XikjjQok5Y&list=PL7atuZxmT9570U87GhK_20NcbxM43vkom
>>
>>55360900
Thank you! this will be amazingly helpful
>>
>>55357708
Do not DM as a beginner. I repeat, DO NOT DM as a beginner. Find a local group, and ask to join. Play for a bit and eventually you will be experienced enough in the rules and gameplay to DM
>>
>>55363992
This is impossible advice for some people. If no one around you has played the game befor, it is not possible to simply jump into a game. Most online games are a cesspit of masturbatory GMs, a misunderstanding of basic rules, and players who couldn't really give a shit. If the options you have are touching out a session or two as GM or being a player in an online game as your first experience, just dive into the deep end and start GMing. Read the book, take notes, maybe play some preconstructed adventures, and keep a labeled book mark for rules based on when you plan on needing them. Planning on having an epic chase halfway through the session? Bookmark the pursuit rules it's a reference to that pat of the plot. Having a small fight to get the players into the combat? Keep a combat quick reference on the back of the enemy's character sheet
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.