[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exactly do you run a horror game without accidentally delving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: overprotective parent.jpg (32KB, 259x306px) Image search: [Google]
overprotective parent.jpg
32KB, 259x306px
How exactly do you run a horror game without accidentally delving into subjects that one/some/all of your players do not wish to delve into?

Like I had one scenario where the group are investigators investigating a local death, and it turns out that a woman was cursed so that anyone who she loves will die the moment that they leave her sight, forcing her to be over-protective of her children to the point of abuse while at the same time causing her to become more and more deranged from days of lack of sleep.

I know at least one person in the group has had to deal with parental abuse in the past and I'm worried about making things a bit too real for them but at the same time, I think that it would be a good kickstarter to the rest of the campaign, which would deal with psychological bullshit that's designed to make the players feel uncomfortable about the whole situation.

So what should I do? Should I scrap the idea entirely or should I go through with it anyway?
>>
>>55342104
Ask her what she thinks and if she isn't cool with it scrap the idea. Either way give her the option of leaving the room during the most grotesque moments
>>
>>55342104
the answer should be obvious as fuck.
if you are worried about things like that, you talk to your players beforehand.
we can't tell you what your buddies are okay with, but they can. very easily.
>>
If it isn't weird to, talk to that person one-on-one about how they feel about child abuse in games. A lot of people are basically OK with personal traumatic event in fiction as long as they're earned, so that might solve it.

If it would be weird to do that, it's gonna be real uncomfortable in game.
>>
>>55342132
It's not going to be gruesome or anything, I personally despise violence and think that it's the low-hanging fruit of horror games (next to jump scares).

No, what I'm more worreid about is triggering some flash back to when they lived with their parents and having that ruin their night accidentally.
>>55342158
The thing is, if I talk to them about it, then not only are they spoiled on the nature of the session but they're also put on edge because they're expecting to be triggered.

Like, I've been in situations where I was totally okay with a scenario occurring, until someone told me something and I ended up getting upset, and then it turned out to be nothing like how I imagined it being and I ended up getting upset over literally nothing.
>>
>>55342158
>>55342132
Come on guys, stop giving rational grown-up answers. OP wants you to spaz out about snowflakes pretending to have PTSD.

>>55342132
He never said the player's gender.
>>
>>55342104
>How exactly do you run a horror game without accidentally delving into subjects that one/some/all of your players do not wish to delve into?
Literally just fuck your feelings. Friends don't have to handle each other with mittens on, not if they're good friends.
>>
>>55342287
>complains about SJW snowflakes
>"don't assume her gender reeeee"

nibba what is your angle?
>>
Here is what you do. Talk to you players and ask them to secretly send you a message or just jot down on paper anything that might trigger underlying mental issues. Say they don't have to go into any detail, or explain themselves. If they write something down, nix it with no questions.

Just be honest about how, in a horror game, you don't want to reveal anything but you care about the players and don't want to fuck them over.
>>
>>55342104

What sort of AC bonus would bubblewrap armor give you?
>>
>>55342603
+3 to Force, Bludgeoning, and Falling Damage
>>
>>55342358
>complains about SJW snowflakes
Wrong snowflakes.
>>
>>55342104
As long as the abuse stays supernatural in nature. I doubt your friend will be bothered by it.
>>
>>55342104
>hi /tg/ how do I run a horror game
...is one of the most common thread starts.

Well yeah. Inject horror into your players directly. That is how you run a horror game. Tentacle mostners from outer space doesn't do it. But real actual dread, now that is something else.

So OP if you really want to run a horror game, then horrify your players.

If she can't take it then go play D&D or something
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.