[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been DMing 5e with a group of friends for a while and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1415026753145.jpg (178KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1415026753145.jpg
178KB, 640x480px
I've been DMing 5e with a group of friends for a while and it's all been fun except for one thing... Armor Class. I don't like that my wizard keeps missing his spells due to shitty rolls or that enemies eat our warrior due to lucky rolls. Is there a way I can play around Armor Class without deleting it but making it work differently?

I would like it to work under thresholds or something similar. Where under certain rolls, the attack completely misses, over that but below the AC the attack hits but its damage is reduced and everything over the AC is a clean hit.

I want to hear your opinion on AC, damage reduction mechanics on your 5E games or tips on how can I change this (if at all) without breaking the game.
>>
>>55302640
>5e
There's your problem, sport
>>
If your issue is that you don't like luck, your best move is probably just to reduce the ACs of the enemies and increase the ACs of the party.

5e has an innate mechanic for that called Advantage/Disadvantage that sounds like you should use more often and more generously.
>>
>>55302657
>a contrartian crawls out of the woodwork
>>
>>55302640
>I would like it to work under thresholds or something similar. Where under certain rolls, the attack completely misses

Yes, there's a great system for that. It's called Armor Class.
>>
File: 1397628294547.gif (1MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1397628294547.gif
1MB, 325x244px
>>55302640
>I would like it to work under thresholds or something similar. Where under certain rolls, the attack completely misses, over that but below the AC the attack hits but its damage is reduced and everything over the AC is a clean hit.

Use a second track of HP tied to their Dex, Con, and Wis and have that depleted from non-hit attacks first.

Disclaimer: I never played 5E or know anything about the system
>>
>>55302640
Work with partial/full cover, and flanking mechanics. It makes combat much more dynamic and less prone to randomness
>>
>>55302673
ADV/DIS works wonders. Everything has gone better since I started being more generous with it.

>>55302684
Where under certain rolls, the attack completely misses, over that but below the AC the attack hits but its damage is reduced and everything over the AC is a clean hit.
There are 2 thresholds man. You didn't read throughly. An example, a creature has 15 AC:
>7<= AR. The attack misses
>15< AR >=8. Damage is reduced by X value
>AR>15 Clean hit

>>55302689
This sounds like a good idea but I'm afraid that it's little bit complicated and my friends are newbies. I think it's too much for them to handle

>>55302715
I like the flanking mechanics of the Shadowrun videogames. Under what circunstamces should a creature be flanked other than being attacked from behind?
>>
>>55302752
When attacked from both sides.

>>55302640
The problem here imho is not in rolls or mechanics of the game, but lack of imagination and strategy.
Fgiths should not look like a bunch of people standing face to face and slaping each other. Both players and enemies should learn to knock enemies prone, distract or dodge, try to flank etc.
>>
>>55302715
OP should be giving advantage for flanking already

Just give out ADV more generously to reward crafty players.
>>
>>55303002
What do mean by giving adv more generously? It is and should be given by special effects/spells. Don't you mean inspiration?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.