[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How anachronistic do you allow your games to be if it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: PCs playing on console.jpg (999KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PCs playing on console.jpg
999KB, 1920x1080px
How anachronistic do you allow your games to be if it's set in a fantasy world? Personally, I wouldn't mind adding some modern entertainment technology in my game if it doesn't serve that big of a purpose. Like that one Dragon-Half OVA.
>>
>>55297209
I don't mind adding things like metal snaps, zippers, and other anachronisms into my fantasy games. When you're talking magic, and presumably better education, then you end up with some stuff a bit early, even if it's not industrially made. I usually sneak guns in somehow, even if it's just mortars or cannon.
>>
>>55297209
Depends on the mood. If we're being silly, I'll let just about anything happen if it's cool in the moment. If I'm being super super serious, then I turn into a historical accuracy autist.
>>
File: 1461324443748.jpg (125KB, 554x740px) Image search: [Google]
1461324443748.jpg
125KB, 554x740px
I leave anachronisms as a result of contact with other planes of existence like the Abyss, since those planes are effectively timeless and have no real reason to be stuck with one particular material plane's current technology.
>>
File: 1504889662597.jpg (863KB, 1100x686px) Image search: [Google]
1504889662597.jpg
863KB, 1100x686px
I like the idea of adventurers getting excited about retro 80s games.
>>
I try to keep my games pure. I'm a big setting guy in that way.
>>
File: 1497838584635.png (28KB, 1540x214px) Image search: [Google]
1497838584635.png
28KB, 1540x214px
This anachronistic.
>>
>>55299280
>potatoes
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEI don't actually care, I use them all the time.
>>
For the past few years, I have been compulsively running a setting with spaceships, world-terraforming, laser guns, ansible-internet-connected computers and smartphones, televisions, memory uploads and VR sensoriums, mind-recording and mind-resleeving into new bodies, artificial intelligences, bioaugmentations and cybernetic implants (some of which are hereditary), controversies over implants, cloning, nanomachines, and so on. People travel to different planets. There are megacorporations.

However, all of it is literally magic, and the setting is Planescape's Great Wheel (focusing on the Outer Planes) with a touch of 4e's World Axis.

The spaceships are highly advanced spelljammers, world-terraforming is an alchemical balancing act of Inner Planar elements, the laser guns project arcane force, the ansible-internet-connected computers and smartphones are matrices of divination and illusion, the televisions work through scrying, the memory uploads and VR sensoriums work ala the Society of Sensation, the mind-resleeving into new bodies is advanced reincarnation at the hands of the Believers of the Source and the Dustmen, the artificial intelligences are incorporeal constructs, the bioaugmentations and cybernetic implants are biomancy (also hereditary), there are huge controversies over things like altralothic implants, the clones are illusory simulacra and necromantic clones, the nanomachines are elementites, etc.

There is planet-hopping, there is plane-hopping, there is exploration of the uncharted reaches of the infinite multiverse, there are dozens-miles-long capital ships. The Great Wheel's factions are cyberpunk-like monolothic megacorporations, only with much more benevolence and appeal to PCs.

Have you ever run or played in a sci-fi setting with a purely magic-focused paradigm like this?

For that matter, what are your favorite sci-fi-isms that you would like to see filtered through a magical, planar-fantasy lens?

Would you have fun in a setting like this?
>>
>>55297209
Usually stuff like modern hygene, medical advancemebts in re gards to medication and surgery along with proper sanitation and plumbing are in my games. Usually theres some magic analogue for mass broadcasts akin to radio. Modern slang and speech patterns too. Except for tribal civilizations.
>>
>>55298964
How is amazon's controller even still working
>>
>>55299433
>Have you ever run or played in a sci-fi setting with a purely magic-focused paradigm like this?
Yes, I'm currently playing in one now.

It's shit and I wish the DM would stop jamming in this crap because he thinks it's lol cool epic XD!!!1!!
>>
>>55297209
bolt action rifles in my pseudo medieval fantasy setting are a must.
So are ancient WW2 looking battle tanks.

Generaly i like modern trappings in fantasy games if they do not distract from the world.

Unexpected anachromisms and kitchen sink stuff dressed up in such a way that it feels consistent.

Sadly my players are plebs and hate the idea of anything non tolkien.
>>
File: space beholder.jpg (91KB, 539x709px) Image search: [Google]
space beholder.jpg
91KB, 539x709px
>>
Like 4 years ago i was in a game where spellcasters had internet analogue through magical artifacts. We had a sidequest about someone spreading crystalballs-lite that allowed priests and paladins acces to special magical boards and their presence "disrupt atmosphere" there.
>>
>>55297209
Things that are self contained are fine but if it depends on a power grid and access to internet service then that makes no sense in a pre-electric era. At least come up with a mumbo jumbo explanation like how it works with magic instead.
>>
>>55297209
Any setting we've had major anachronisms in was because of a high tech empire in the long mythical past. I don't mind it though.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.