[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Starting a game with a new GM soon. >Go to GM >So I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1476137362561.jpg (44KB, 251x231px) Image search: [Google]
1476137362561.jpg
44KB, 251x231px
>Starting a game with a new GM soon.
>Go to GM
>So I've been thinking about my characters backstory a little bit
>GM: It doesn't really matter
>mfw
>>
You're going to have to expect some of that on occasion. New DM's aren't really equipped to handle all the new shit they're dealing with yet.
>>
>>55279042
Did he mean it doesn't matter as in it won't have story relevance or it doesn't matter as in you're putting too much importance on it?
>>
he might just want to erase your characters memory.
>>
>>55279118
A bit of both. He's running a module.
>>
Having a backstory can be interesting not only by giving the GM something to use, but also informs how the character acts.

If you feel like you have to have a backstory, have a simple one that could effect how the character acts, even use it as a self imposed challenge.

Different GMs have different way to run games. Some will put different elements over others, this also includes player backstories
>>
>>55279042
>>55279222
Don't bring your RP characters to a beer and chips game. I'm in campaigns online that are well over a hundred sessions in with characters with well over 20 pages of backstory. You know what I play as when I meet up with my firends IRL?

Memes. Two-dimensional boisterous stereotypes whose whole being can be summarized in a paragraph. Tabletop is a big hobby, you have to know your group and what they're expecting.
>>
I get pissed when shit like this happens. Not because of not dealing with these types of games, just the utter lack of communication with players.

It is really bad with pet homebrew universes where gms want things to suprise players. We used to have a gm who would tell us to make characters, then strip us of any backstory and have use be orphans from the same back water in every campaign. After thre seperate campaigns of plane hopping to basically see the sights of his daydreams, we conspired to stop him from running again by always having someone on deck.
>>
>>55280837
>lack of communication with players.
This is the only reason this backstory thing is ever an issue.

>>55280740
>you have to know your group and what they're expecting.
All of this post.

>>55279042
>>GM: It doesn't really matter
>>55279222
>He's running a module.
Well, anon, he's kind of right.
It can be more difficult to incorporate a backstory into a module.
If he's not going to do it, it's better he tell you beforehand.
If he was simply letting you know that your backstory won't affect the main plot, then that's communication and there's nothing wrong with it.

Now, if you just wanted to talk about your character and he coldly shut you down and wasn't remotely interested in talking to you about it, that's a bad sign.
>>
>>55281172
>Now, if you just wanted to talk about your character and he coldly shut you down and wasn't remotely interested in talking to you about it, that's a bad sign.

It wasn't to 'shut me up' per say. But it was more like 'this will have no effect on the game and thus I don't really care.'
>>
>>55283141
Exploring a backstory about someone he dosn't know is boring. Play something interesting to make him want to know more.
>>
>>55279042
Tell me about your background. <3
>>
>>55283141
>per say
It's so easy to trigger me.
>>
>>55283141
Alright, then it boils down to how quickly he reached the 'I don't really care' stage:

>I'd like to talk about my character's backstory, they-
>Doesn't matter, don't care.
Immediately indicates a rude as fuck GM.
This bodes poorly.

>I'd like to talk about my character's backstory.
>Doesn't matter, I'm just running a module.
>But they...
>Sorry, I don't care since I'm not using it.
If they politely express their disinterest, then it's probably just a difference of expectations.
This can be easily remedied by adjustment.

>I'd like to talk about my character's backstory.
>I'm just running a module.
>But they blah blah blah...
>Doesn't matter.
>But their unique blah blah blah...
>I'm not using it.
>No, but see they blah blah blah...
>I don't care.
>And then they blah blah blah...
>I'm ending this conversation.
Sometimes, the GM just doesn't want to hear more player nonsense.
>>
>>55279042
I'm more like that than not. I'm not big on the backstory thing.

The reason is that I prefer to have the players develop their backstory during the game. I typically start players out at first level and be 'locals' to whatever location we start in.

Give some thought to your characters motivation. More importantly, tell me where you want your character to go. What are some cool things you want in your 'backstory' when you talk about your character when he hits tenth level.

Maybe a secret or two would be good as well. But we can develop a lot of that during play anyhow.

But I really don't want a multi page backstory.
>>
>>55285514
>I really don't want a multi page backstory.
I am big on the backstory thing, and there is never any reason for more than a page.

If a a player wrote more, neat.
But it's like if they wrote a related poem.
I'll read one if I have time, but we're here to game, not write.
>>
>>55284993
>It's so easy to trigger me.
People like you are a diamond dozen.
>>
Backstory for a new character shouldn't be more than a paragraph plus a character description imo. Your character's story is written during the game based on what happens throughout the campaign. Disregard this if you're starting at a high level.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.