[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, what audience was each of the four factions in Ixalan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 14

File: Maro_Says_11.png (12KB, 700x267px) Image search: [Google]
Maro_Says_11.png
12KB, 700x267px
So, what audience was each of the four factions in Ixalan designed for?
>>
>>55272188
They explained this in one of the artucles they did in thevlast two weeks but zi forgrt which. All I remember is that vampires were for spikes.
>>
Are there example cards from each faction I can look at to figure out which category wizards thinks I fall into?

Like I feel kinda pissy about this logic but won't live in denial if they peg me as an X/Y/Z
>>
Dinos are for Timmies, Vampires are for Spikes, Pirates are for Johnnies.
>>
>>55272303
Really? I feel like Merfolk are more for Johnnies
>>
I am Vorthos, I'm the target audience for every faction.
>>
>>55273315
But which faction is the most Vorthos?
>>
>>55273362
The plane started as a story pitch about vampire conquistadors searching for new blood, so probably them.
>>
File: 82d.png (58KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
82d.png
58KB, 625x626px
>>55273525
>He doesn't know anything about Ixalan's lore or the factions.
>>
Spaniard vampires are for chads, rest is for virgins
>>
>>55273900
>Not the dinosaurs
I could care less about the silly people that work with the dinosaurs, but the dinosaurs are more chad then your sissy white boi vampires. Get ready for 12 feet of hard dinosaur cock going up your ass, Edward.
>>
>>55273289
Pirates are more complex so far, both in terms of being in more colors but also having more cards that interact with one another. Merfolk will only be UG, while pirates will have enough cards that a Johnny can brew different kinds of decks (Grixis, UB, UR, etc.)
>>
>>55273942
>Edward
Señor, el nombre es Eduardo. Also wait, you'll see how we'll exsanguinate those 6' turkeys
>>
>>55273699
Why would he? MtG hasn't had lore worth reading for over a decade. Ixalan is worse than most.
>>
>>55274001
May have a hard time there, Señor. Those turkeys are clever girls.
>>
>>55272188
Mechanically speaking it's obvious vampires are for Spike, Dinos are for Timmy, Pirates are for Johnny and Merfolk are for Melvin.

In retard-speak, however, they don't even need to try. SJWs see niggers and imediately cry their meme battle cries. However it's clear the native-vs-conquistador dichotomy is causing them a lot of internal asshole bleeding because actual hispanics support both factions, while tumblrinas want the vampires to be demonized which means they'll get called out harshly by either their progressist interns or their second largest market by the end of the block.
>>
>>55273942
How many sexy female dinosaurs have there been? Whats that, zero? Check yourself BEFORE you wreck yourself, dino-virgin.
>>
>>55274043
Reminder that melvin isnt a psychographic, the factions almost certainly overlap in some capacity with one another, I dont remember if they spelled it out for Ixalan, but they DID for C17.
>>
>>55274002
Fair enough. I'll summarize.
>Vampires don't normally need to feed, but they had their precious MacGuffin stolen, so now they require blood. They don't kill or feed on the innocent. Pirates, murderers, rebels, and other serious offenders are fair game.
>The Sun Empire is the Not!Aztec-Mayan faction that has dinos n shit.
>There are no guns or smallpox.
>All of the factions are relatively matched. Pirates are too numerous and decentralized to eradicate. Merfolk have homefield advantage. The Sun Empire has dinos. Vampires already have their own place far away.
>>
>>55274002
Which you would clearly know, having read none of it.
>>
>>55274157
>They don't kill or feed on the innocent
No, they don't kill or feed their allies/fellow religion followers, period.
>>
>>55274056
>Sexy dinosaurs
Only Virgins think of sex that much, my amigo. Now go back to stroking your little willy to Morticia while I wave my arms around and walk the dinosaur.
>>
>>55274114
Oscar isn't an official psychographic either, but whole swathes of cards have been made almost exclusively for backdraft.
>>
>>55272188
I think the four commander decks this year appealed to the audiences better.
>>
>>55272227
>zi
Did you just un-assume your own gender, you shitlord?
>>
>>55274322
>Implying someone is doing something wrong jerking it to Morticia
dude wtf
>>
Dinos are definitely for Timmies. I can tell because I'm hype as fuck for all the stupid huge dinosaurs that are never actually going to work. Tribal in general gets my hard as fuck, though, so no matter who wins I'll be happy.

BUT I'M STILL HYPE FOR THE JURASSIC PARK TCG.
>>
>>55274056
>How many sexy female dinosaurs have there been? Whats that, zero?
SJW REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55272188
Colorful feathery dinos are for furries and teal/pink haired lesbos.
Vampires are for teen girls and goth whales
Pirates are for kids/boys
>>
Vampires aren't Spike because they're fucking awful. Dinosaurs seem kind of pushed actually.
>>
>>55276743
What about the fishmen?
>>
File: average mtg worldbuilder.png (1MB, 1142x954px) Image search: [Google]
average mtg worldbuilder.png
1MB, 1142x954px
yfw I my inner /pol/ack tells me to go Team Vampire
>>
>>55276873
nice meme
>>
>>55274157

>Sun Empire religion requires them to feed merfolk captives to their dinosaurs
>merfolk rebel, fail
>Vampires tell the merfolk they will be treated fairly if they bend the knee and join alliance against Sun Empire
>alliance defeats the Sun Empire
>vampires sack the city of gold, get filthy rich
>set up new feudal system in Ixalan with merfolk and sun empire humans as serfs/blood tithe taxpayers
>merfolk and sun empire humans can't rebel for several centuries because half of them died of old world diseases
>other old world powers with rival religions to the vampires pardon the pirates and pay them to ransack vampires fleet and take all the riches for themselves

This would be a good storyline. And it's basically what happened IRL. Too bad WotC writers are braindead.
>>
>>55277020
They're purposefully avoiding real life parallels outside of the obvious.
>>
>>55274157
This is nitpicky but Merfolk are actually Mayans, Sun Empire are just Aztecs. They were originally combined until design needed them to make 4 factions instead of 3, so they split Mayan and Aztec. They distinguish the two visually by heavily making use of Mayan jade tools and equipment.
>>
>>55274157
>There are no guns
Wizards plz reconsider your retarded decisions, firearms have a place in some of your settings. Both this and Innistrad would have benefited.
>>
>people actually shilling for pirates and vampires
Are you fucking serious? Vampires have been in Magic for-fucking-ever. We don't need more of them. They are literal edgelord shit, everyone I knew who played vampires was an edgelord. I was a freshman in college when Innistrad came out (the first innistrad block, not the reboot). All the anime weeaboo cucks played vampires. It was incredibly fucking annoying. Ever since, there's been this stain of vampires on magic, fuck them. I fucking hated all those kids. Smelly nasty skinny fucks who died their hair and listened to the absolute shittiest metal of all time. I fucking wanted them all to get hit by a car. And pirates? Who gives a flying fuck. They are all butch lesbians in long coats meant to pander to the Tumblr demographic. They can go fucking die as well. I hope they all sail into a storm like the fucking spanish armada at the end of that third Pirates of the Caribbean movie. That should have been the last one, why the fuck did they make two more? Yeah I hope they all go down the fucking drain. Dinosaurs are awesome. When I was six I beat the shit out of some kid who insulted dinosaurs. But of course Wizards of the Coast makes a set with something actually cool, and they will probably nerf it to hell. Since when have fatties been viable in Standard anyway? Why not try to make them viable? They won't, though, they'll do more scrying shit, or graveyard shit, to keep pandering to bluefags trying in vain to make blue viable again because they listened to obnoxious autistics who squeezed blue's slice of the pie down to "counterspells, debuffs, bounces, deckstacking, and unblockable" the latter of which has been shit on because it kills planeswalkers and god forbid people's planeswalkers die because then Hasbro jews don't get their money printing fuck-ass expensive planeswalker cards to get people to buy boosters. The other four are nice, but they don't win games.

In short, dinosaurs rock, pirates & vampires suck.
>>
>>55277513
>hates on others
>falls for meme dinos
>>
>>55272227
>vampires for spikes
I don't see it so far with what's spoiled. Merfolk to closer, but more of a johnny or johnny/spike
>>
>>55276828
Subhuman filth
>>
>>55273942
Dinosaurs are for the turbo autists who are mentally still 4 years old, so right up your alley
>>
>>55277513

These vampires aren't edgelords though, they're the good guys
>>
>>55277367
This.
Not having guns in magic is dumb.
>>
>>55274101
>he doesn't like pirates
you're lower than a nig, to be honest
>>
>>55274317
And on the innocent. If you are not a heretic, traitor or rebel (all crimes that deserve death), you are safe
>>
>>55272188

I don't know, all I know is that none of them are for heterosexuals.
>>
>>55277807
>b-b-b-b-but, they're the GOOD GUYS! epick twist!
For fuck's sake...
>>55277546
How are they memes? Because they aren't specific species? Please elaborate.

>>55277691
Let me explain, anon. My enthusiasm for dinosaurs is not on the autistic 4 year old level. It's just like "ok cool, dinos, sure." But let me explain. Magic the Gathering has been a crock of shit since Zendikar, maybe Scars of Mirrodin if only for the Phyrexians. The game is basically "what culture can we rip off shamelessly next?" Mongoloids, Egyptians, Indians, Greeks... I mean what in fuck's cunt is going on in these developers' heads to make them think this shit is creative? Kill yourself, MaRo. Your ideas aren't even ideas, they are literally ripped from a 7th grade history textbook.

So yes, I am excited the new set centers around a world with shit from prehistory instead of history. The last eight or so blocks have left zero impact. I can barely even name them in order for fucks sake. Was there one between a theros and tarkir? I can't fucking remember.

Dinosaurs may not be *that* cool, but the bar for quality when it comes to MTG lore has sunk so fucking low that even a compsognathus could step over it.
>>
what the fuck is this thread
>>
>>55277935
People don't like pirates, they like what pirates represent. That sense of true freedom and the danger that comes with it doesn't translate to a card game built entirely around rules, numbers, and mechanics. So it's pretty much just an empty aesthetic, same reason people hate steampunk so much. They didn't even keep the "fun" pirate voice everyone loves so fucking much, their flavor text sounds like every other MtG character
>>
>>55276828
Speshul snowflakes. Probably want something humanoid (humans are too mainstream) without going totally for the dinosaurs. They're for people who pretend they've played magic forever (because they've heard Merfolk is a modern deck), but they're noobs.
>>
>>55278552
This. Tumblr would abandon dinosaurs in a heartbeat if there were filthy non-heteronormative scalies avaliable.
>>
I hope there's a Huitzilopochtli expy in Rivals. Aztecs just don't feel like aztecs without any allusion to their patron god.

Just give us a Mayael for dinosaur avatars or something.
>>
>>55279095
Which one is this? The Sun Empire does have 3 named gods and the I presume currently unworshiped bat god (represented by the three concentric circles), though they probably won't be actual cards. I don't recall their names. Tilonalli, something, and Ixanalli?
>>
File: (you).gif (867KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
(you).gif
867KB, 480x336px
>>55278373
>rags about them stealing ideas from history
>praises them for stealing ideas from PREhistory
>>
>>55279130
It's ok if the gods themselves don't get cards it's just the aforementioned Mayael and related Progenitus cultists had more of a mesoamerican religion going than the Sun Empire seems to have. And you didn't need to watch podcasts to be aware of it.
>>
>>55277691
I'm the actual anon you posted to not this >>55278373 faggot. I'm fucking shit talking, but I do like my dinosaurs. However, you good sir can go fuck yourself with a rusty spork because I'll like what I want to like, you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>55272188
"I see you've decided to go with blatant pandering using meme themes and mechanics. Was that intentional?"
>>
>>55279130
>Which one is this?
The god of the sun, war, literacy and amaranth that needed the blood of sacrificed enemies to continue fighting eternal night.
He was represented as a giant blue skinned warrior with saint-seiya style hummingbird armor.
>>
>>55272303
>Pirates are for Johnnies.

Shouldn't Johnnie leave her, Johnnie, leave her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWS5dGSDOc
>>
>>55278453
Did you know that autism gets stronger with every year it's left to age? MtG is decades old, conquistadors are centuries old, dinosaurs are old.
>>
>Vampires
I literally only care because of Edgar Markov, and because I like Mardu colors. Still holding out hope we get warrior or knight tribal in the same colors, though.
>Merfolk
Fish-pussy low-tier. Spikes will fap themselves dry over the arcane magic of ancient formats getting support, but as someone who plays EDH primarily, and dislikes anything with CMC 5 or higher in the command zone, I don't really care.
>Pirates
A raging nostalgia boner for the old Pirates! constructible card game keeps me mostly blind to the shitty tumblrina themes omnipresent in these cards, and Beckett Brass is the only fucking commander with a reasonable CMC. I don't hold out a lot of hope they'll be good, even if I know I'm going to brew that shit. While crying, if I have to.
>Dinos
They look fun but they also look like they're "We're dragons, but different, we promise!". Kinda boring, but what I'd force in draft probably. Secretly hoping they really do just become "not dragons" and we get Muraganda soon with sultai dinos for Mimeoplasm. It won't happen, but I can dream.
>>
>>55272188
Why are all the legendary pirates female?
>>
>>55280330
>I literally only care because of Edgar Markov
>as someone who plays EDH primarily, and dislikes anything with CMC 5 or higher in the command zone
?????
>>
>>55280439
I don't really have to cast Edgar to get a lot out of him, and I bought all the precons because I didn't feel like speculating on anything specific.

I do plan to tinker with them a bit, more to see if I can get them roughly equal. Might sub out dragons for something else though, 5c is a bitch to balance.
>>
>>55280526
Well, it seems Ixalan has a lot of manafixing for tribal, and the decks themselves had some new fixing, so it's not that bad for 5c.
>>
File: 16114.jpg (48KB, 417x305px) Image search: [Google]
16114.jpg
48KB, 417x305px
>>55272188
JUST GIVE ME ONE, JUST ONE FEMALE PIRATE LIKE PIC RELATED
>>
>>55280355
>Faction composed of people who have never fairly earned anything in their lives and subsist by taking from others
>Led by women
I'm not seeing the issue
>>
>>55280582

thin, pretty women are not progressive enough for current year WotC

your tropespace is problematic
>>
>>55280687
>your tropespace is problematic
Do you think the tvtropes creators are proud of the dilution on the english language that they unleashed?
>>
>>55281017
I honestly think that should be tried as war criminals with the creators of reddit and zuckerberg
>>
>>55281034
>It's transparently obvious to everyone but me I just enjoy whining about popular things to feel superior to others
>>
>>55281073
Facebook is genuinelly harmless but reddit is cancer and tvtropes promotes a false sence of literacy among imbeciles.
>>
>>55280608
The best pirates have been male and if memory serves me only 2 women have ever been as famous.
>>
>>55279203
Yeah. Cause they haven't done that shit yet.

>>55279318
This. Anyone ragging on dinosaurs should stick an AIDS needle in their wrist.
>>
>>55281243
The two best pirates ever were Bartholomew Roberts who hijacked 400 ships in just 3 years with a flagship infinitely less impressive than the Queen Anne's Revenge and single-handedly put a stop to the african slave trade. And Ching Shih who fucked up the chinese seas so fucking hard she had to be attacked by the whole Purtuguese Navy with aid of EIC and British Navy ships just to convince her to take an amnesty.
>>
>>55280330
>EDH posting

Not even once you nigger.

EDH is literally the asshole of MTG, and the autists who play it are the kind of people who enjoy picking at scabs. I'd rather frontier be a popular format than EDH.
>>
>>55274043
Imagine being this butthurt about imaginary people.
>>
>>55274170
I try to every so often but the cringe is too strong.
>>
>>55277367
>>55277914
Guns are ickybad for their primary target audience, young liberals.
>>
>>55272188

Why the fuck are people wasting their time discussing this stupid fucking question? All sets these days are made with a single purpose and target audience in mind; Draft Players.

All the flavor in the cards is nothing more than the interests and in-jokes of WotC staff that gets approved by the Hasbro marketing team.

/thread.
>>
>>55281629
>Draft Players.
what
why
>>
>>55281613
I thought their reason for not having guns was the dorks who think guns existing makes a setting not Fantasy or something.
>>
>>55281661
Trains and cars are totally okay though
>>
>>55281613
Young people don't even realize they're liberals. Most don't give a shit about politics and probably aren't scared to death of guns

>play game that regularly depicts killing people and animals
>be afraid of depicts of guns
Hasbro and MaRo are Jews but I doubt this is their aim
>>
>>55281667
m yeah but guns are bad okay?
>>
i fucking hate what this game has become

where my white, christian and european power fantasy?
>>
>>55281704
Guns are good
Penises are bad
>>
>>55281723
All those are Haram
>>
>>55281732
but black penises are the best
>>
>>>55273289
>big ass latina teen chased by lesbian loving TREX on a hoverboard then fucked
>>
>>55272303
>Timmies, Spikes, Johnnies
What?
>>
>>55282124
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Player_type
>>
>>55282233
That looks stupid. Do people actually identify themselves with those things?
>>
>>55282278
No but R&D design cards around this philosophy.
>>
>>55282363
That's a pretty narrow view. It seems like it would limit their design focus.
>>
>>55282410
It does. Especially since, to them, certain colors are ONLY ever capable of being one type of player. This is most notable for RG, which I think MaRo's ACTUALLY SAID "Is more of a Timmy color combination".
This is basically the limp wristed sounding git calling you a retarded child if you like RG
>>
File: Acorns.png (639KB, 997x309px) Image search: [Google]
Acorns.png
639KB, 997x309px
>>55282278
Yes. yes we do. Johnny4Life!
>>
>>55282410
No shit Sherlock, why do you think the more "design tools" they come up with (player demographics, NWO, mythic rares, etc.) the worse the game gets.

R&D is old and inbred.
>>
>>55282456
R&D needs to be hosed out completely and hired from a pool of game designers that don't live within 100 miles of Wizards HQ
>>
>>55282448
But what about things like Wort? Red and green certainly have more design space, even keeping color pie fluff, than just being Gruul expies.

>>55282451
Nice bait.

>>55282456
It's almost as though changing up the design philosophy for a game entirely will result in a different game!
>>
>>55282532
The context of MaRo saying that, is that he said Bloodrush was a mistake since it was too spike for RG
To sum it up, if you play red, you're only timmy. Ever.
Spike and Johnny is the exclusive domain of esper players that also sometimes run green
>>
>>55282233
So to summarize

>Anyone who likes flashy cards, plays primarily with friends, or high variance is the same in WotC's eyes as a little kid who started playing the game

>People who like figuring out "combos" and "homebrews" are so smart and clever that they need to design cards specifically to feed that

>If you netdeck for any reason, like efficiency, play conpetitively at all, or find satisfaction in winning, you hate creativity, children, and fun

>People who like complex/mechanically distinct cards are special snowflakes and find wordy cards "beautiful"

>People who like the lore are extra special snowflakes that get bonus labels because they all love that
>>
>>55282586
That's absolutely stupid. I love all the burst ramp and rapid filter draw that red provides. Is that why there haven't been any recent rituals, Browbeat-type effects, or land destruction effects? Or efficient creature burn?
>>
>>55282612
Where's the player type for people who want Wizards to regulate the secondary market by killing Mythic rarity, improving injections of old useful cards into the market by improving Masters set contents, and not having to scramble getting a new set of stupid RARE dual lands every fucking rotation.
>>
>>55282642
Probably part of the reason. Browbeat effects don't show up cause they ain't that good and fast mana is "Too hard to balance properly" to them.
I mean, this is from a man who's called Llanowar elves overpowered
>>
>>55282650
Huh? No magic player wants that! I'll bet you're a gamergater troll!
>>
>>55282676
Browbeat effects are fun, and could be done better (make them more cost efficient, using the opponent having a choice as a downside; see Dash Hopes). Also, he thinks Llanowar Elves is overpowered? What? What "profile" did this guy stick to himself? Timmy and Spike seem pretty derogatory, so I'm guessing Johnny.
>>
>>55282721
I can't remember. His favorite colors, in order are Blue (Big surprise), Red (Big surpise) and White (Also a big surprise). Basically the color combinations that form the most annoying aspects of the fan base
>>
>>55282749
Red is my second favorite color, after black. Since it seems like his views on things are based entirely around Ravnica, I guess that means I'm "supposed" to like suicide rushdown aggro, right?
>>
>>55282650
It probably goes against Wizards business philosophy regarding Magic to have the entire community unified under a single idea. It's better for them that the community self-divide itself into tribes whether that be by: guild, color, deck type, psychology, format, etc. etc. and create friendly infighting among the community than actually have an aggro player find some common ground with a control player.

That's why it is particularly unnerving for me when people ask what I like to play in Magic. I just look at them and say I like everything with a slight preference for high interaction and they're still baffled later in the future when I crush with an aggro deck when I've been playing a run of control decks.

You just can't like Magic as a whole, you have to find a stupid fucking niche because that way, you can bitch or celebrate when Wizards does or doesn't throw you a special bone. If your "bone" is "affordability" the saddest thing when Wizards never delivers is the fact that everyone doesn't realize they've been fucked too.
>>
>>55272227
Vamps seem the weakest so far though, but I guess we haven't seen anything and they could have some blow out cards.
OR
it could just be wizards being retarded again (like how they thought werewolfs were going to run over standard when SOI came out)
>>
>>55282787
So that's why people at the LGS got confused when I was picking up cards for a black devotion deck, budget high tide, and some STAX pieces.
>>
>>55282801
>Weakest tribe
>For Spikes
>Current WotC hates efficiency, "netdeckers", and uses Spike as a buzzword bogeyman

Hmm...
>>
>>55282864
really pops the popcorn.
>>
>>55282870
They know competitive players are the most entrenched and devoted. That's why they can shit on them; it'll draw support from casual-elitists, and make them look more friendly to new players. Plus, that whole "divide, then throw identity niches bones".
>>
>>55282410
What design space is limited by the psychographics is design space not appreciated by any player. For example, Timmy might enjoy flipping coins, but he wants doing to to be exciting where something clearly good or bad can happen. Meanwhile, Spike doesn't want to flip coins at all, he wants his cards to be predictable so that he can plan around them. So if you make a fairly costed coin flip cards where both outcomes are balanced positives, neither player type will appreciate it.

This is also not unique to WotC. Many companies use psychographics to help understand their consumers.

>>55282448
That's not at all what it means. Timmy is a social gamer. He's not retarded.
>>
>>55282832
If they don't say it out loud they're wondering why you did something outside of their impressions or expectations of you. They never think, "maybe this person just loves all of Magic - nah, that's not possible".

There are people whom I've known for years who just haven't fucking figured out that I can do anything in Magic. They always think I force a certain deck in the draft so they'll stay away from my "traditional" strategies except I'm open to doing anything it takes to win; and sometimes they fuck it up for the both of us. They look at me at the end and say, "were you in white/blue" and I'm like, "no I was in red/black; didn't you notice that you were getting nothing and I passed a million white/blue cards" and they're just baffled at me not at their inability to read signals.

And that's what makes me the saddest about Magic. That some people just put up some retarded arbitrary and very tribal barriers that prevent them from trying anything new in the game including getting actually good at the game. And because they have this idiotic mental block in their brain, anything that Burn player says clearly has no meaning because they're fucking Burn players and therefore are sub-human.

Don't get me wrong, I say jokingly that Blue is Master Race but it's slathered in such sarcasm that I hoped for a while that nobody took it seriously, until I realized that they did, then I had to stop.

They reprinted an Overrun variant in Limited with this past set. I was pissed because fuck that card. A card like that getting printed ruins drafts and nobody could unify under that and I think that inability for people to agree on a clearly egregious problem is why the fuck Wizards can be such a shitty company.
>>
>>55282786
More or less.
I'm pretty sure MaRo prefers spellslinger gameplay, even though it's pretty much never good these days since all the colors he likes, when combined, become spellslinging and more spellslinging
>>
>>55282888
They treat timmy like he's retarded. Usually when a card is blatantly bad, they'll call it a "Timmy card" in order to save face
>>
>>55282947
Spellslinger decks can be fun, but, "Creatures: the Tappening" memes aside, creatures are the central point of the game, for better or worse. I've seen people divide themselves based on card types they use, ffs
>>
>>55282978
Well, if you go through MaRo's alleged favorite colors in order you get:
Monoblue: Primary spell color
UR: Designated spell shitting guild
UWR: Literally prowess
>>
>>55282888
>So if you make a fairly costed coin flip cards where both outcomes are balanced positives, neither player type will appreciate it.

Johnny possibly would, though.

I identify as Johnny, and I would definitely build a deck around cards that have balanced coinflip outcomes in ways that I can capitalize on both outcomes... if I still played MtG anyway
>>
>>55282532
> things like Wort

Wort was printed nearly a decade ago. Times have changed.
>>
>>55282955
A lot of MaRo's writings are post-facto justification for bad design. The one he had on rarities is often cited as the most blatant bullshit excuse for moneygrubbing, anti-consumer practices.
>>
>>55282801
BW whatever is one step above in playability by virtue of having access to Duress, Fatal Push and Walk the Plank plus White's Sideboard tech.
>>
Target audiences of each faction.

>The Sun Empire
Fresh-faced children who like dinosaurs. Also marketing professionals who see nothing but money from the idea of attractive said children.

>The River Heralds
The same people who try to push Fish back into the spotlight and have been for the last umpteen years.

>The Brazen Coalition
Ultraleft busybodies with nothing better to do than to ruin everything for everyone.

>The Legion of Dusk
Smart, good looking, intelligent people who have good taste and probably smell like pine trees and fresh-cut grass.
>>
>>55283067
I think a lot of people who actually bother to read his shit would be fine with them saying "Yeah, rarities are just there so the game's more profitable" They could easily spin it as a positive thing like "And since it's more profitable, we can afford to support other, less profitable product lines we want to have" or they could if they actually did that
>>
>>55283073
This is honestly what I'm hoping by building the vampire deck, carried by B/W's post-rotation support.

Also I don't hate the combination of Yahenni, Mavren Fein, and Sanctum Seekers. I think there's a strategy of some sort in there.
>>
>>55283094
>Okay, so maybe selling heroin isn't good for the kids
>but it funds cancer research and NASA
>>
>>55283000
So what does liking black, red, and blue mean in their color-liking assumptions?
>>
File: stereotypes.jpg (173KB, 968x790px) Image search: [Google]
stereotypes.jpg
173KB, 968x790px
>>55283142
>>
>>55283154
>Varies wildly
Pretty spot on
>Crazy idiot
How?
>Everything about UR and UB but worse
Well, let's see...
>Fedoralord know-it-all
I'm generally the quiet one among my friends, but this fits a guy I know who, up until recently, ONLY played UR because "loyalty to the Izzet"
>Gets off on others watching me masturbate
Literally my kink, how'd you know?
>>
>>55283094
>And since it's more profitable, we can afford to support other, less profitable product lines we want to have
If anybody said that in the history of corporate business they would be out of a job tomorrow in order to rally the stock.
>>
>>55281661
Ixalam is probably one of the least original and magical worlds they have made. It's literally America in the 1500.
I understand their reason when they did original worlds in the past, but original/magical worlds like Mirrodin, Ravnica or Lorwyn are long lost in nu-MTG.
>>
>>55274397
Oscar?
>>
File: file.png (142KB, 2535x478px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
142KB, 2535x478px
what the fuck is happening to 4chin, mods deleting the posts with the n-word now?

fuck off you libcuck shitcunts go back to fellating yourself on leddit. people are having a discussion here.
>>
>>55283607
Is true that those niggers are censuring /tg/ now?
I need to prove that such faggotry can be done.
>>
>>55273525
>>55274101
>>55277974
Mods are like Ixalan pirates: they steal stuff from nice places and they are nigra niggers doing niggardly things
>>
>>55283304
Ixalam
Islam
How funny.
>>
>>55283675
Honest mistake.
>>
>>55277367
what are you smoking? Innistrad had guns.
>>
>>55283740
Sure there was fucking holsters in the artwork but actual powder-guns did not prominently feature in much of the art. Most projectile weapons were crossbows.

Some fucking holsters getting past the art editor isn't something to set a goddamn precedent for.
>>
>>55282650
Goys
>>
>>55283740
Those were tiny crossbows.
>>
File: moltensentry.hq.jpg (153KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
moltensentry.hq.jpg
153KB, 480x680px
>>55283003
>Johnny possibly would, though.
No. No one liked Molten Sentry.
>>
>>55283094
Maro doesn't say those things because he's not allowed to. No sane business would allow its people to say such things because it would tank the stock faster than you can say "market panic."

He never denies that there's monetary reasons for many of the decisions they make, however.
>>
>>55284327
Of course not, it'd be overpriced for either of those units.

Now if it cost something like RR, maybe 1RR and you could spend R to flip a coin again, I could see myself getting tempted.
>>
>>55284580
It wasn't overpriced at the time. In fact 3R for a 5/2 haste was considered pushed.
>>
>>55284843
Really? I guess I always valued units differently then.
>>
>>55284327
Cards like this should speak to players who like testing their skills at actually piloting their decks

It's very telling that WotC don't include such players in their model
>>
So I don't know what the Standard meta is like at all, as I just draft and play casual EDH.
Could a standard Fleet Swallower + Fraying Sanity combo deck be viable?
>>
>>55274157
You forgot heretics, Vampires feed on heretics
>>
>>55286384
>players who like testing their skills at actually piloting their decks
That'd be Spike.
>>
>>55276796
Spikes like managing resources. Greed is a quinissential spike card.

I get that Spikes will do anything to win, but in terms of psychographics, Spikes are about challenging themselves and performing at their peak. Cards that let them do that are "spike"-cards.

There are things in the world as bad spike cards. They just aren't popular.
>>
>>55284327
I have a deck with four of him. It is 60 card casual. I like how with Krark's Thumb you get to choose, but it sometimes doesn't listen.
>>
>>55278373
>implying Maro has anything to do with the creative team
>>
>>55272303
This leaves Merfolk for Vorthos, which I will concur with.
>>
>>55288095
Vorthos and Melvin aren't psychographics. They're about player motivation. All players fall into either Timmy, Johnny or Spike and is also either a Vorthos or Melvin.
>>
>>55288225
Vorthos Spike master race.

Just kidding, it's pure suffering.
>>
File: IMG_1334.jpg (276KB, 1000x731px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1334.jpg
276KB, 1000x731px
>>55283740
Guess again fuckboy, go back and look at the set.

This is my friend Elite Inquisitor, you see that hand crossbow on his belt that would literally never work? That was a pistol the artist drew because he didn't get the memo that there are no guns on Innistrad. It was edited after if was done and that little crossbow bolt was adding in his mouth.
>>
>>55290585
Vorthos Johnny is the patrician choice.
>>
>>55279095

Gishath fills that role
>>
File: tumblr_n4szzfpxTt1ri1r1uo1_1280.jpg (82KB, 960x703px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4szzfpxTt1ri1r1uo1_1280.jpg
82KB, 960x703px
>>55291295
I've gathered the townsfolk and it looks like one has a crossbow and one has a holstered pistol, so I assume they have both but bows are more common.
>>
>>55291535
Canonically no MTG plane has guns. It was one of the arbitrary rules Garfield set before he left the company.
>>
>>55291535
That's an error then because the Art Department were meant to ensure no gun made it though, this was in the internal style guide.
>>
>>55291873
>>55291884
Well I don't know what to tell you about the gun in that picture then, or the entirety of the old Portal II set, wherein they had rifles and shit. Unless those have been retroactively declared noncanon, at least one part of Dominaria at the very least had guns at one point, if not still today.

Does this mean we'll ever see that place again or R&D will take this into account for future lore? Fuck no, but it was there.
>>
>>55278781
For not being tumblr, fags like you sure talk just like them.
>>
>>55274043
What happens when the block progresses, and suddenly Nicol Bolas, some Eldrazi douchebag, or some shit shows up and drags their nutsack across everything?
>>
What are all the psychographics?
>>
>>55291873
I think that the place where Portal 2 takes place still exists and it has guns. It's just that the current creative directive is to avoid them, so no going back to there.
>>
File: Alaborn Bangstick.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Alaborn Bangstick.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>55291873
>>55294937
It's Dominaria, but it's also Dominaria so having guns is hardly impressive armament next to mana cannons, powered armor, giant robots, and magic nukes powered by planeswalker souls.

Seriously, Urza, you're fucked up. At least the Thran didn't realize they were collapsing planes in order to make batteries.
>>
>>55293280
>Timmy
Likes big flashy stuff.

>Johnny
Likes to put together combos make them go off.

>Spike
The only thing more important than winning, is winning more than once.

>Melvin
Reads the comprehensive rules in detail and then basks in how awesome interactions are.

>Vorthos
Fluff guy, likes art, flavor text, and playing to a theme.

>Dave
You don't design for Dave, you design around him. Dave plays to ruin your fun.

Be aware that you can overlap and be fusions of the profiles.
>>
>>55297782
>Be a Vorthos Johnny who started 10 years ago
>The game is progressively getting further and further from my ideal playstyle.
>Combo is dead
>Lore is just jacetice league
FUCK.
>>
>>55298399
We have a literal bottom up Johnny set so new its still in standard.
>>
File: 1453499408097.png (405KB, 463x537px) Image search: [Google]
1453499408097.png
405KB, 463x537px
>>55298399
I feel your pain, man.
>>
>>55298448
Which set? Because all I see is mid-range creatures for Timmy with accidentally too good of cards for Spike. Where are the weird combos or the tools for deckbuilders to find combos? Energy counters were mediocre, Amonkhet mechanics, while very good, didn't lend to any real interactions, and the only thing coming up that could be a thing for Johnny's in Ixalan is a half-assed enrage deck.
>>
>>55298538
>Because all I see is mid-range creatures for Timmy with accidentally too good of cards for Spike.
>tfw when I should love this
>tfw cared about nothing recently except Innistrad 2.0
Sucks to be a Vorthos Timmy who's been playing so long he can't help but Spike.
>>
>>55272188

Dinosaurs: Underage and manchildren
Pirates: Normies
Merfolk: nostalgiafags who are interested in seeing if there is anything worthwhile to add to their old merfolk decks
Vampires: True patricians, gentlemen of wealth and taste.
>>
>>55297782
And who the fuck is Oscar?
>>
>>55297782
>Probably would be considered a Melvin Spike/Melvin Johnny
>Hour of Devastation is the most interesting set for me in recent years
>>
>>55272188
We haven't seen all of the dinosaurs yet. Mark my words, if they have the guts to print a dinosaur that gives mana when it is damaged, it will be the dawn of Combosaurus Rex.
>>
>>55300147
>Vampires: Twilight fans and those who unironically enjoy nuMagic characters and settings (interchangeable)

Fixed
>>
>>55277020
>This would be a good storyline
No it's a terrible idea and trite. Please never be a writer
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.