[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me /tg/, all my friends enjoy playing tabletop, particularly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

Help me /tg/, all my friends enjoy playing tabletop, particularly D&D. I want to, but every time I try playing with them I don't have a good time.

The first time I played (Pathfinder), I rolled a very weak mesmerist and put a lot of points into bluff.
Understandably, I was weak in combat-- But I constantly rolled under 10 for every attack, so non-spells were useless.
Then the GM set a custom rule for some reason that rendered one of my spells useless as well.

Next character, I rolled a Gnoll fighter with very good stats, and his gimmick was that he only spoke Gnoll and loved loot.
While this would seem on the surface scummy, I planned to trade everything people wanted for something cool.
e.g., I traded a cloak of resistances or something for a cool looking stick somebody found.
Another player took this as a threat and started hoarding everything themselves, even going so far as to declare "I loot the body first!"
He'd never looted before this character joined.

Whatever. Next character. 5e this time. I make a slayer with a bow, it sounded pretty cool at the time and I wanted something serious compared to the previous two.
After constant low rolls nearly getting myself and my party killed, I proceeded to roll even lower and get three nat 1s in a row.
I was out of commission for an entire session due to my rolls, and the next session I had to leave for real life reasons.
The campaign ended shortly after.

Am I a lost cause? Or should I give tabletop another go?

Sorry for the wall
>>
Stop playing D&D and its variants. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>55269178
Say were you using the same dice all that time? If the answer is yes put them into a 1:1 compound of hot water and kitchen salt. Toss the dice in several times, if it keeps rolling the same number most of the time then throw them away, they arent random in that case.
>>
>>55269635
>using a different system means your friends stop being cunts and you roll better
Of all the memes on /tg/, this is one of them.
>>
>>55269795
Different systems can encourage different attitudes, and different dice systems do have different chances of a critical failure or an equivalent, so yes.
>>
File: penbeeninbum.jpg (185KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
penbeeninbum.jpg
185KB, 2560x1600px
>>55269178
The D&D really well if you dont play a gimmicky charterer. Bluff type spells are hard to gm for because it works and bipasses the encounter or just dosn't work. There is really no middle ground.
>Gnoll fighter
While it sounds good again, you need the right group to play off this " I loot everything but can give it away really easy type" . I played this really well as a trader type, most of the group was really good with it. But we had a player come back from being sick and a PC death and the two "new" members killed off the sync.
>low rolls
They happen. The gm should be balancing everything as they go to stop people feeling shitty, but this is a highly contested issue on here.

>What to play next
Ok. So I would go for a cleric or a wizard. And go for spells that don't require to hit rolls. They just do damage . Same with the cleric, he dosn't need to hit with his healing magic.
I find playing things that are all about being friends with the rest of the party and having each others backs lead to the best games.
Some people really like infighting and fucking each other over to get the best items for themselfs. I don't I see it as to why would we be travailing together let alone sleeping in the same room as you.

>Not playing D&D
While I hate D&D I can understand that some people are really into it. And its hard to get a group to change.
>>
>>55269178
Start GMing GURPS
>>
>>55271183
That wont help at all. Stop talking shit
>>
>>55271329
It would be an improvement.
Not much of an improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.
>>
>>55271762
Sure it has more of a bell results. But if your rolling low all night your rolling low all night.
I was playing apocalypse world (I think that was the system) and was rolling 8-10 all night apart from one 4. (on 2d6).

His problem is gimmicy characters, inflexible friends and not being experienced enough to be able to play around when the rolls are not working well.

The only thing we can help with is the gimmic pcs
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.