[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many GMs of /tg/ avoid their game system's attempts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: lookAtThisDorkGettingWedgied.png (156KB, 553x451px) Image search: [Google]
lookAtThisDorkGettingWedgied.png
156KB, 553x451px
I know this will hugely be influenced by the group, as players want what they want as well.

But after playing PnP systems for near thirty years at this point, I just can no longer not simplify combat to one round of stated actions and dice rolls if I can. Don't get me wrong, nothing can add tension to a game like the uncertainty of dice rolls and a bit of chaos that a turn or two of combat can bring. But that said, I just look at what DnD 3.x turned into over time with the rules creep revolving toward ever more levels of weeaboo fight'n magic (till it became Pathfinder). So now I usually just have players state actions, roll for the uncertainties, and work out how it all happens at one time, because sequential turn based initiative is another concept I have moved away from. And it usually works great, with combat seeming to be heavily one sided between those who were prepared, and those who were not, and those who got the fuck out of there. This has also seemed to go hand in hand with using more rules lite game system mechanics like Risus or Fudge, classless character play, etc.

The biggest advantage has been, I think, the keeping of story momentum and player buy in to emersion. A lot more story gets crafted in these game sessions.

Is this a general progression most other GMs, and play groups, shift to with time? Or is this more so developing a preference between enjoying rugby or flag American football with time?
>>
>>55261063
Traveller GM here and i do not.
The system was written by a actual veteran and strikes, in my eyes, the perfect balance between simulation, improvisation and narrative.

And i'm excluding MgT 2e which is a fucking mess.
>>
>>55262171
>Traveller
Nice
Twilight:2000 (1e) was intensely crunchy with combat, but once you got the hang of it, it was fast and very fucking lethal.
>>
File: 1497229996818.jpg (79KB, 627x986px) Image search: [Google]
1497229996818.jpg
79KB, 627x986px
>>55261063
I've always wanted a system that simulated simultaneous fights. I like but never fully enjoyed the turns system of most games, I could never get over the image of everyone standing around and taking shots or wacks at one another.
>>
I don't, but I tend to play games where the point of combat is to be part of the underlying resource management basis of the game. Simplifying it would throw the rest of the game's balance off.
>>
>>55262410

It is interesting how the combat becomes more so lethal in that the person who is the first target of the side initiating the attack is usually dead. And how quickly the side unprepared will either fall into retreat, unless the initial attacker screws up and opens up to counter attack.

In absence of turn based initiative, having a clear idea of what belligerents are the aggressor, and which are the defenders, makes it pretty clear what logical would stand to happen, and who would take what actions. Or more so what the risk of some actions would become. For example, as the aggressor in an ambush situation it is a lot easier to keep sneaking about to the enemies flank, as your comrades open fire. As a defender, not so much, because the enemy most likely had eyes on you, with the rest of your group as you approached the ambush point.
>>
>>55261063
The "have you try not playing DnD" is a common response here for a reason.

The D20 mode of Tabletop role-playing games as we know them as a Industry only exist because the TRS's peanut butter of wargaming somehow got mixed with the chocolate of improve theatre storying games. If you don't really think you're interested in that go find something else.

if you only like chocolate you shroud really stop buying recess pieces. Don't try to eat around it or post on tumblr how they should accommodate people nut allergies. Go buy another chocolate bar.
>>
I just don't play D&D and go with systems that have actually interesting combat, or generally avoid or abstract it. If I really was feeling that wargaming itch then I would get a session of 5E in, but otherwise I don't care.
>>
>>55261063
Either make the combat independently fun enough to be a tabletop game in and of itself (4e) or make the combat FAST (stuff like Risus and Fudge that you mentioned)

In-between is wasting all our time
>>
>>55263768
>>55267553
I'm with these guys.
>>
>>55261063
In my case it's the opposite. Since I began GMing I've always been trying to keep combat rules as simple, quick and snappy as possible, to the point of simplifying actual rules of the system I've been using, because I felt that dragging it too much was pointless, only resulting in players' loosing attention and the tension dropping.
Now however, I start leaning towards more tactical combat and would really like to try it, but unfortunately the habits are still there and whenever things take longer during an actual session I often kind of panic and quickly resolve the whole thing asap
>>
>with combat seeming to be heavily one sided between those who were prepared, and those who were not, and those who got the fuck out of there.
That's how combat works - you're normally not supposed getting wiped out when you're laying an ambush.
>>
>>55263768
>>55267553
If combat is uninteresting and takes too long, then it's probably more a DM/player issue than a problem with the system (I cannot speak for DnD/ADD since I never played those). How OP describes his "simplified" system is pretty much like every non-pulpy game works (Delta Green, CoC, Cyberpunk 2020, Pendragon...).
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (245KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
245KB, 1000x1000px
>>55261063
I try not to fiddle with a system too much. As with anything else, removing what, at first glance, seems like unnecessary elements might get you into a situation where breaks you are rapidly accelerating downhill and your breaks don't work. Learned it hard way by removing and "simplifying" things in pathfinder, just to turn it into bigger shitpile paizo could ever dream of.
Instead of doing that, now i pick a system that supports intended style of play and try to stick to the rules.

I found fiddly tactical combat to be entertaining at first but over the years it appeal continued to go down, to the point where now i just roll eyes at sight of combat grid. Though it's more about grid itself, rather than complexity. I still kinda found of more mechanically involved conflict resolution, and certainly all for stacking bonuses, optimization and things like that.
I think that is the reason why i like Burning wheel so much. As it supports profound mechanical character building (let alone "character" character building), resolves majority of situations with a single roll, and have an option for a complex, prolonged conflict resolution when you need it, be it combat, argument, or cooking competition.
>>
>>55263190
>The D20 mode of Tabletop role-playing games as we know them as a Industry only exist because the TRS's peanut butter of wargaming somehow got mixed with the chocolate of improve theatre storying games. If you don't really think you're interested in that go find something else.
>if you only like chocolate you shroud really stop buying recess pieces. Don't try to eat around it or post on tumblr how they should accommodate people nut allergies. Go buy another chocolate bar.
This is a good post.
>>
File: 1499791421326.jpg (64KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
1499791421326.jpg
64KB, 500x411px
>>55262219
I've always wanted to play Twilight: 2000 but fuck if I could ever get anyone to play it with me.
>>
>>55263190

Seconded.
>>
>>55269123
How does it resolve those prolonged conflicts mechanically? I am legitimately interested in trying that system as I love how the game actually encourages roleplaying.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.