[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you make text based games move faster? because of my shitty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1479755455630.png (586KB, 637x510px) Image search: [Google]
1479755455630.png
586KB, 637x510px
how do you make text based games move faster? because of my shitty schedule I can only play games on roll20 but in it we always take up to an hour to deal with a normal encounter and five hours to do anything

>inb4 use voice
i tried to but no one else in the group wants to so that's out of the question
>>
Are you the GM? Put a timer on combat turns. Pre-write descriptions. Put a timer on decisions.
>>
File: 1451272414941.jpg (80KB, 475x474px) Image search: [Google]
1451272414941.jpg
80KB, 475x474px
>>55252357
This is a meme at this point, but...

HAVE YOU TRIED NOT PLAYING DND?
>>
>>55252357
Get new players, use webcams. Call people out on their bullshit when they zone out.
>>
>>55252357
Play a system with faster encounters.
>>
>>55252357
see
>>55252410
>>55252473

If you're playing a game via text, you're gonna want a system who's rules are less than 3 pages long, or maybe even complete freeform, otherwise you're asking for an incomprehensible clusterfuck.
>>
>>55252410
Well yeah it's a meme, because the question being asked has absolutely nothing to do with D&D and everything to do with the inherent flaws in a text game that involves numbers that aren't autocalculated.

You fucking faggot.
>>
>>55252580
Huh, it's almost like DnD is a bad system for a game played over text that doesn't auto-calculate numbers.

You fucking DnDrone.
>>
>>55252357
Discourage long posts, and get your players to write fast, short, simple sentences that focus on what is important (action and characterization). I love long flowery descriptions, but sometimes efficiency demands sacrifice.
>>
>>55252902
How do you discourage long posts without coming off as an asshole?
>>
>>55252357
During combat: have people write IC in a separate room, and use placeholders. Have people do their mechanical turn, have them start writing their IC actions, then while that is being written have the next person take their turn. That speeds things up dramatically.

While out of combat, once 75% of the group have said things on the lines of "let's move to the next area, ask once "are you going to go to the next area" and then just move them there.

When the players are stuck on a plan, pick up on the three most discussed plans, translate them into simple to understand terms (you want to go to the tower and kill the wizard?) and then double check which the players want to do, then go ahead and move them forwards.

Cuts out about 50% of the time spent dawdling.
>>
>>55252410
Is your retardation contagious?

Text being a slow method of RP has very little to do with dnd
>>
>>55253797
DnD being a clusterfuck of a game obviously won't help in a slow method of RP.
You already are handicapped by the medium you are using to play, why would you add a system that makes it even worse?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1499731253143.jpg (44KB, 700x670px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1499731253143.jpg
44KB, 700x670px
>>55253826
This.

>text slows everything to a crawl
>lets use an anal System with a shitton of crunch
>>
>>55253826
>implying that playing text GURPS would be different
>implying playing text Exalted would be different

Nigga, the problem here is that writing takes a lot longer than voice: if you have retards who can't write concise, clear sentences... that is what kills the game more than any system you play.
>>
>>55254171

>names 3 crunchy systems

Why not something rules light ?
>>
>>55254171
Why are you mentioning GURPS and Exalted?
You know there are rules light games, right?
They said that he should try not playing DnD because is the most common crunchy game.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.