[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it evil to buy a slave from a race that accepts slavery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 288
Thread images: 27

File: 1419469358680.jpg (118KB, 809x988px) Image search: [Google]
1419469358680.jpg
118KB, 809x988px
Is it evil to buy a slave from a race that accepts slavery of their own people?
>>
>>55245728
Not at all.
>>
>>55245728
1. How do you define evil?
2. Is the slave themself consenting, or are we just saying that it is considered normal among their race?
>>
>>55245728
I'd say it depends on what you plan on doing with said slave, as well as what the laws of your own land and faith have to say on the matter
>>
>>55245832
Wouldn't your own laws matter more for how lawful/chaotic the act is, not how good/evil?
>>
>>55245728
Slavery in any and all forms is evil.

All creatures capable of self-determination deserve liberty. This is not negotiable.
>>
>>55245832
Goblins usually enslave and sell other weaker goblins to sell on markets, so I was planning on buying one or two to act as mule.
>>
>>55245872
If you're a player, then it's ultimately up to your GM, not us, what acts are good or evil. In general though, slavery tends to be a no-no.
>>
File: Ugh.gif (2MB, 394x280px) Image search: [Google]
Ugh.gif
2MB, 394x280px
>>55245728
>using alignment
>>
>>55245894
I agree, but I also believe evil exists.
>>
>>55245866
what if they became a slave as punishment for a crime
>>
>>55245917
Still immoral even if no one will ever be wrongfully convicted.

A structure built by slaves is flawed, and the labor of a slave, even a criminal one, robs an honest man of a chance to earn his keep.
>>
>>55245887
Yes, you are right it's up to GM to the end. However I wanted to know what /tg/ thinks to help compose the idea since my character shouldn't be doing explicit bad things.

I don't plan to turn them into sausages, I would just use them to simple labor. Since they are accostumed with slavery and completely expect it (goblins usually have a tendency to obey the strongest) I would think it would fall into neutral.
>>
>>55245917
You could punish criminals by torturing them, that doesn't make it not evil.
>>
>>55245728
Typical WHITE MALE QUESTION
SLAVERY WAS ALWAYS EVIL
NO DISCUSSION.
OH. MY. GOD. IT'S 2017 JUST WOW
>>
>>55245985
low effort anon. try to actually be funny next time.
>>
>>55245953
If in your world goblins tend to obey the strongest, why have them as a slave? Just show that you (and your group) are the biggest and strongest around and use them like a hireling.
>>
>>55245866
Fuck off Dany
>>
>>55245887
Oh, what if I promise to release them after the campaign end? Since they wouldn't matter anymore anyway.
>>
>>55245961
>>55245951
Suppose the God of Lawful Goodnes is the one doing it, then wouldn't torture or slavery be Good?
>>
>>55245728

Yes.

I mean seriously: attitude on slavery differed in world's history but no one got a free pass just because they bought slaves in another country.

>>55245849

I always tought laws weren't really important in lawful allingment, amusingly enough.

I mean, I see elves as having written laws alright. Perhaps less than, say, dwarves (i see dwarves' courthouses as a pretty big deal actually, but not elves'), but it's not really that: being lawful is being organized, tidy, dull even, not upholding to the written laws but to an organized society. Just as being caothic doesn't mean breaking the law - I see elves as being kinda dumbdfounded not really by how dwarves are predictable, really, but by how much they need their society to be explicitly predictable.
Written laws are just a byproduct of that, and even regarding dwarves, I don't think isolated clans really have those, for example, they're still lawful alright.
>>
>>55246032
In such a case, that god would be misnamed.
>>
>>55246005
If you are taking slavery to be evil, then you would be committing an evil act for a smaller amount of time, which would be less evil, but still evil.

>>55246032
If the gods are the ones who decide what actions are what alignment, then sure, you could have the gods decree that slavery is Good. But that gets into >>55245887 where it's up to the GM and at least partially dependent on setting.
>>
>>55246032
You're disgusting. God help you.
>>
>>55246049
Less misnamed, more arbitrary. You could have a world that had an objective set of nine alignments, but the actions associated with those alignments completely separate from what we might presently ascribe to each of them. LG could be the alignment of slavery, CN could be the alignment of following a strict personal code, NE could be the alignment of hedonism. The naming scheme just stops making sense and you lose consistency within alignments.

IE the "Good" god could still be the one no one likes, having said a bunch of nasty stuff is "Good".
>>
>>55246001
Hirelings are a constant drain (which is doable), but the problem is that hirelings don't have much incentive to stay around when things go bad.

>inb4 a slave is even more likely to escape

Not really. Slaves are usually branded and you probably know what happens to an escaped slave. In a slave-master society it's utmost important to make sure slavers stay in their place, so slavers who bail out are punished exemplary.

So they would be like conscripted armies in the past: low morale, but they know if they retreat they are fucked so they go on.
>>
>>55246055
>If you are taking slavery to be evil, then you would be committing an evil act for a smaller amount of time, which would be less evil, but still evil.
I could justify it as 'communitary service' in order to earn their freedom.
>>
>>55245728
Personally I believe slavery is one of the nastier evils, as I value freedom above anything else I can easily think of. So from my perspective the only way to justify buying a slave is if you intend to free them.
>>55246032
That would be fine if you and your players are willing to accept that Good and Evil are completely arbitrary and the only thing that makes a thing good or evil is what God practices what behavior.
>>
>>55246117
Sorry, by "hireling" I meant more "NPC follower," not necessarily that they'd have a salary. Depending on goblin culture and values, as they've been described in a limited fashion, the individual might stick around just because they're good candidates of people to follow.

Also, what you're describing for keeping slaves under control is one of the main reasons slavery may be considered evil in many settings.
>>
>>55245997
NAZI DETECTED
SOMEONE CALL ANTIFA
>>
I would say its only moral to make slaves of former slavers.
>>
File: 1411171126690.png (146KB, 460x360px) Image search: [Google]
1411171126690.png
146KB, 460x360px
>>55245728
depends who you ask
>>
It really depends. Do they accept it because they have resigned to the fact that there is no other option? Or do they accept it like house elves in harry potter where the thought of not being a slave is offensive to most?

It also depends on how they are treated. Slavery isn't inherently malevolent, you could have a slave who, for all purposes, is really just a live-in servant who has nice living quarters, food provided, healthcare when needed, gets to be friends with the other slaves, so long as the work isn't horrible and the owner isn't cruel it's probably as good as working and middle class or lower job in modern times desu
>>
>>55246191
Can you elaborate on that philosophy? Wouldn't that be like saying it's moral to torture people who have been tortured before?
>>
>>55246212
Re-read his post.
>>
>>55246191
Nah, that's still immoral.
>>
>>55246150
I sincerely find a goblin hireling more likely to bail with my repository blades than a goblin which their own society would probably disembowel if he attempts to escape.

And yes, it's a pretty shit situation. But the thing is that goblins are used to this shitness. It's like a staple of them, like being send to rush the giant or suicide-bomb a wall. In a culture where domination is a sign of strenght, being 'nicer' would be seen as a sign of weakness.

So yes, they are evil. And they expect my character to act evil. But if I treat evil an character that wants to be treated evil because that's what they want of me, am I being really evil?
>>
>>55245728
I mean, are you going to abuse them, have them sleep on the dirt, work forcefully from dawn to dusk, rape their women, take all their rights away, kill the ones that get sick or old and all that?
Cause all of these are rather evil, yeah.
>>
File: Alignment_Debates.png (269KB, 741x240px) Image search: [Google]
Alignment_Debates.png
269KB, 741x240px
ITT
>>
>>55245728
...If you yourself believe that slavery is wrong, and that, consequently, it would be unethical for you to buy a slave, why would anything about the nature, origin, or circumstances of the slave matter?

I can think of a few possibilities:

1) You might be a utilitarian attempting to save the slave from a worse fate.

2) The slave might possess a mental capacity so low that it would not be reasonable to consider it capable of owning itself; i.e., it might not be conscious. Notably, though, it is entirely possible to have a gradation in rights: you can own a cat, but you can also be convicted of animal abuse for torturing a cat, so clearly this case does not constitute an ethical get-out-of-jail-free card.

The posited scenario does not fall under either one of these headings, and I cannot imagine why it would constitute an exception to a more general belief that buying a slave is unethical.
>>
>>55246217
I missed an r. I'm going to go sit in a corner now.
>>
>>55246155
You're not funny. Be funny.
>>
Okay heres a variation. Is it morally wrong to free someone who voluntarily placed themselves into slavery?

Example is the Atans in David Eddings. A Race with so many offenses that require a duel to the death that their King voluntarily moved them all into Slavery to stop them from killing each other into extinction.
>>
>>55246579
If you serve someone voluntarily you aren't a slave. To be a slave one must be held against one's will in servitude to another.
>>
>>55246612
This.

A "willing slave" is either an idiot or a pervert.
>>
What if I buy slaves for the express purpose of setting them free since I feel I cannot stop a system I find abhorrent on my own?
>>
>>55246579
Just checking that I have this straight: Super violent race, their king put them all in slavery to stop them from killing themselves.

If that's correct, isn't that still someone imposing slavery on a race against their will, even if it was a member of their race who's responsible?

I think what it boils down to is the notion that removing an individual's power of self-determination is a fundamentally evil act. An individual could consent to it, voluntarily entering slavery, but it would be like volunteering to have your fingernails pulled out as a form of torture. The act would still be evil.
>>
>>55246644
Then you're just freeing slaves by paying money, I don't see how that would be evil, unless someone's going to make the argument that slavery is likely so widespread in the world that the individuals you freed are just re-enslaved, and now suffer extra due to their small taste of freedom.
>>
>>55246612
Just chiming in, the wording anon used was "voluntarily placed themselves into slavery" which necessitates only that the initial contract was consensual. This would be a form of bonded slavery, where one sells their labor in perpetuity to pay a debt of some sort or trade for something.
>>
>>55246669
I don't think you could blame the person freeing the slaves for that though.
>>
>>55245728
Depends on the players

Because retarded players will complain about how you are promoting slavery. Smart players will just accept that's life
>>
>>55246736
>Cowards will just accept that's life
Don't be a coward anon.
>>
>>55245728
Tell us first about your characters' faith or about the thing that requires him to be scared of doing evil.
>>
>>55246765
Coward and bravery has nothing to do with someone accepting shit happens.
>>
I like how Elite: Dangerous handles Imperial slavery to this end, which is more or less just debt slavery in space. Long story short for those not familiar with the concept, the basic idea is that you can sell yourself in slavery to pay off your debts or as a safety net of sorts if you are just barely treading water, resulting in a fixed period of servitude.

It is of note, however, that you sell yourself to the government rather than another party directly and the government pays off your debt and/or pays out that amount, rather than selling yourself off to a private citizen or group directly, although you can be freely traded after that. I think it was something so the government could more easily track your term so fuckery doesn't happen as often.
>>
>>55246841
Simply accepting shit is what makes you a coward.
>>
>>55246844
>slavery
>safety net

Slavery is more like one of the spikes underneath where a safety net should be
>>
>>55246853
Accepting isn't a synonym of being a coward. You have no argument.
>>
>>55246844
This sounds like doing labor to pay off expenditures. Isn't that just a job with a contract?
>>
>>55246912
It's indentured servitude.
>>
>>55246907
Accepting something terrible that is currently happening is being cowardly. This is not an argument.
>>
>>55246912
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_bondage
I think the Empire has standardized slave "wages" as to stop someone from being kept there forever, though.

>>55246872
Oh, definitely in real life, but it at least seems to work kind of passably in universe although it is still a shit option to have to take. Plus, I think at the end of it you work for a lump sum after you're done paying off your debt as money to sustain you long enough to get a job again, to my memory.
>>
>>55247000
>This is not an argument
Indeed it isn't.

Again accepting and being a coward aren't synonyms. You can accept anything and you will never be a coward, accepting is not a requirement for being a coward.
>>
>>55247034
Accepting something terrible currently happening makes you a coward.
>>
>>55247048
Except it doesn't. Learn2English.

No matter how many times you claim the sky is red, it's still going to be blue by the definition of the word blue.
>>
>>55247053
You are a coward if you accept something terrible currently happening.
>>
>>55247064
But you aren't and can't be.
>>
>>55247078
But you are. Accepting something terrible currently happening makes you a coward.
>>
>>55247092
Nope. Accepting something has nothing to do with cowardly.
>>
>>55247107
Accepting something terrible that is currently happening has everything to do with be a coward.
>>
>>55245728]

>>55247064
>>55247078
>>55247092
>>55247107

two people arguing semantics in a world of bad syntax.

what fun
>>
>>55247126
What? Are you pretending dumb or something?
>>
>>55247145
Not at all. People who accept terrible things currently happening are cowards.
>>
>>55247173
That's wrong though. Acceptation has no relevancy to being a coward.
>>
>>55247184
Accepting terrible things currently happening has everything to do with being a coward.
>>
>>55247200
What? That doesn't make any sense.
>>
In mad max many people volunteer for slavery so that they can eat every day.
>>
>>55247184
You complete fucking mongoloid, I'm not even involved in the conversation and its clear that they mean that acknowledging that things happen, especially in societies based off older cultures, not just accepting that they're there and that we shouldn't do anything about it.
>>
>>55247235
Why did you make this post? You said nothing at all.
>>
>>55247173
So everybody on Earth, yourself included, it automatically a coward by your definition.
>>
>>55247212
Sure it does. Accepting terrible things currently happening is cowardly. How is that hard to understand? Is English your second language?
>>
>>55247264
Yes, it is. And no, it isn't. As acceptation has no relation to cowardly.
>>
>>55247263
Not true, there are people who actively work to correct terrible things currently happening, rather than accepting them.
>>
>>55247277
Accepting terrible things currently happening has everything to do with being cowardly.
>>
>>55247242
I called you a mongoloid, though, and now I'm going to call you an autist because you obviously can't read social cues and understand that you two are using different forms of accepting here.
>>
>>55247293
Except it doesn't.
>>
>>55247278
People actively work to correct 1 or 2 terrible things currently happening. Nobody is actively and truly trying to correct all terrible things happening. So that makes everybody a coward, no?
>>
>>55247301
You say it like if I was talking to myself. Are you okay? Does calling people mean names make you feel better about your empty life?
>>
>>55247323
Except it does.

>>55247326
No, those currently trying to correct terrible things currently happening have courage and are not cowards.

>Nobody is actively and truly trying to correct all terrible things happening.
Way to piss on the people who give everything for others.
>>
>>55247362
>Except it does.
But it doesn't.
>>
>>55247373
Accepting terrible things currently happening makes you a coward.
>>
>>55247384
Except it literally doesn't.
>>
>This entire exchange
>>
>>55247398
Except it actually does.
>>
>>55247408
That's wrong in virtually every scenario.
>>
>>55247423
It's correct in every scenario. Accepting terrible things currently happening is cowardly.
>>
>>55247439
Nope, you have to be functionally retarded to believe that.
>>
>>55247460
Not at all,in fact, you must be a coward to believe otherwise.
>>
>>55247472
What? That makes no sense. English doesn't work like that.
>>
>>55247487
This isn't a matter of English. It is a fact that accepting terrible events currently happening makes you a coward.
>>
>>55247496
>This isn't a matter of English
Do you not know what a language is? Every word we type is a matter of English. Your posts don't make any sense.
>>
>>55247512
It makes perfect sense. Accepting terrible events currently happening makes you a coward. That's straight forward and the truth.
>>
>>55247531
Adding meaningless words like straight forward doesn't make a completely incorrect combination of words suddenly make sense.
>>
>>55247547
It's not incorrect at all. Those who accept terrible events currently happening are cowards.
>>
>>55247556
Except that's wrong, accepting has nothing to do with cowardly.
>>
>>55247556
>knowing how and when to fight somethign terrible is not wisdom
You're a shortsighted child.
>>
>>55247571
False. Accepting terrible events currently happening has everything to do with being cowardly.
>>
>>55247577
Nope, you can accepting anything you want, you will never be a coward, as there is no relation between the two words.
>>
>>55247573
Know when and how is not the same as accepting something. No where near it.

And accepting something terrible currently happening is still very much a cowardly thing.
>>
>>55247592
Absolutism, the first mistake every would be crusader makes. If you don't understand why a fence exists, you cannot tear it down.
>>
>>55247591
English must not be your second language for you to not see the obvious relationship.

Accepting something terrible currently happening is cowardly. Resolving to improve yourself to stop it is not. Acting to stop it is not. Simply accepting it is cowardly.

>>55247612
>If you don't understand why a fence exists, you cannot tear it down.
A silly notion, but poetic. An animal incapable of understanding the reason for a wall is still very capable of removing it.
>>
>>55246648
>The act would still be Evil

Disagree. You are giving them what they want, nothing evil about that. Is it evil to give someone a sex change? Is it evil to give someone medicines with side effects? Is it evil to give someone a delicious McDonald's McFlurry (c) every day, knowing that in the long term the sugar and fat will give them crippling health problems? This is what they want and they have made the decision to take it. It's not evil.
>>
>>55245728
Well we tried that with the dark skins and they say no right now
>>
So has the shit storm finished finally?
>>
>>55247048
Another retarded argument in this thread. What a shocker. If it's cowardly to accept something terrible happening why are you sitting in your basement sweating like a bloated corpse instead of out in Central Africa helping the thousands of slaves there? Are you a coward?
>>
>>55247633
>English must not be your second language for you to not see the obvious relationship.
You think its my third? I'm currently learning german as my third, and Japanese on the side too but that shit is slow. Way too many words.
>Accepting something terrible currently happening is cowardly
Wrong.
>Resolving to improve yourself to stop it is not
Is not what? Self improvement has nothing to do with acceptance nor cowardly.
>Acting to stop it is not
To stop what? A storm? A wave?
>Simply accepting it is cowardly.
Again, acceptance has nothing to do with cowardly.
>>
>>55245728
I don't think the slaves like it very much
>>
>>55247648
None of them have been slaves though. They'd probably go back if they realised they're better off slaves than in the horrible poverty many of them now live in.
>>
>>55247639
I could definitely see this being a debatable topic. I'm going to focus on your third example (McFlurry causing crippling health problems) because I think it's the most straightforward.

It's a product people want and will willingly consume, even if they know the health risks involved. I'm honestly not sure about how moral it is to continue providing this product, knowing that it will potentially cause a lot of people long-lasting harm, but at least they're consenting to that harm. I feel like there could be a "for your own good" argument, but then that's getting into removing free-will, where the topic of this thread is about how that tends to be viewed as evil.

So yeah, I dunno.
>>
>>55247681
I work in law enforcement actually, I'm also a veteran, and a volunteer EMT on the weekends.

>>55247694
>
I'd guess your third or maybe fourth. This isn't a hard connection to make.

>
I'm actually right.

>
You can stop the damage even natural disasters cause anon. People evacuate before hurricanes all the time. They take shelter in storms.

>
Acceptance has everything to do with being a coward. It's the second step after being afraid, right before choosing not to act.
>>
>>55247703
the roman slaves didn't like it, because they were treated like shit.

the African slaves on the other hand, didn't seem to mind very much.

Just count how many slave rebellions occurred in roman times to American slaves.

Protip: It took a white man to liberate blacks because they weren't motivated enough to it themselves
>>
>>55247761
>everything
Except it has nothing to do. There is only one step, and it is paralyzing fear.

You can be afraid and not a coward, you can be accepting and not a coward. You have never been right and never will be, because you don't understand English.
>>
>>55247769
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_rebellion#North_America

What?
>>
>>55247769
>lets compare Rome, which had slavery for 500 years to the US, which didn't even have slavery for 300 years.
>>
>>55247761
>I work in law enforcement actually,
I hope you don't actually expect us to respect you for such "education".

My mother always used to say, if everything fails you can always become a cop.
>>
>>55247790
To accept terrible things currently happening is cowardly.

Don't worry, you'll understand one day.

>>55247805
I'm a computer scientist actually. DoJ has a lot of use for IT fields.

But no, I don't expect you to respect me. I don't care if you do. I don't do things for respect, I do them because I care about others.
>>
>>55247834
>Don't worry, you'll understand one day.
Yes, the day the English dictionary puts acceptance has a synonym of cowardly. Which is, never.
>>
>>55247873
Accepting terrible things currently happening is part of being cowardly anon.
>>
>>55247761
>in law enforcement actually, I'm also a veteran, and a volunteer EMT on the weekends

If true, you carry out the laws of rich man, which are not always just or ethical, but you carry them out regardless. You've probably arrested someone for doing drugs - a choice they made which harms no one but themselves - and as a result they've ended up in prison with no self determination. Is that not evil?

If you're a veteran then you've fought unjust wars, potentially killed innocent people and people fighting for a cause that they believe is right - how is that not evil?

If you're an EMT perhaps you saved someone who had a terrible quality of life anyway. Maybe they wanted to die. Maybe they wanted the suffering to end and instead you kept them alive against their will. Is that not evil?

You can pretend you are in some moral high ground but frankly anything and everything can be good or evil, there are very few, if any, acts which are inherently good or evil - including slavery.
>>
>>55245951

>what is Convict Labor
>>
>>55247885
Which has never been a true statement and never will be anywhere in the English sphere. Hell, not even in other languages because the statement makes no sense.
>>
>>55247865
I like the part where we are suppose to believe one of them is a law enforcement veteran computer scientist. As if someone like that would waste his time like this, and 'debate' like a 12 year old.
>>
>>55247892
You spike your coke or something?

>>55247900
It makes perfect sense. I'll let you think about it.
>>
>>55247911
You'd be surprised anon. Some people enjoy this.
>>
>>55247917
Maybe in Wonderland it makes sense. Not here, where we have strict definitions and usages of words. For the sole purpose that people don't get confused and to facilitate communication with people across the globe. Acceptance is not a synonym of cowardly, never was, and never will be.
>>
>>55247954
It makes perfect sense. Just take your time and ponder the meaning of each word.
>>
>>55247967
Maybe in wonderland it makes sense. Real life doesn't work like that.
>>
>>55246844

>be slav trading in Elite Dangerous
>have a full t7 of slavs
>indicked by some one in an empire clipper no less
>guy scans me and calls me a dirty slaver
>blows the fuck out of me

YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE THIS GUY JUST KILLED!
>blows the fuck
>>
>>55247932
How sad.
>>
>>55248000
It's cowardly to accept terrible things currently happening anon.
>>
>>55245866
Go home, paladin.
>>
>>55248017
Acceptance and cowardly have no relationship between one another.
>>
>>55248015
You'll get used to it.
>>
>>55245728
I would say it all depends on what you do with the slave. I played a traveling bard once who own one wagon, one donkey, and one human slave. She never miss treated him and he was happy to stay with her after she said he was free to go. The only thing that really let you know he was a slave was a tattoo on the top of his right hand and after he was free, my player paid a wizard to remove it. Like I said though, it all depends on the player.
>>
>>55248032
No, I don't live a pathetic life. I will let you two continue on your own.
>>
>>55248029
"willingness to tolerate a difficult or unpleasant situation."

Which would mean accepting and tolerating the needless suffering of others. Sounds pretty cowardly to me.
>>
>>55247894
pretty shitty.
>>
>>55248051
>anon says, shit posting on 4chan.
>>
>>55247894
Denying the honest man a paying job in favor of a criminal slave.
>>
>>55248069
I'm pretty sure it isn't even a thing anymore in the West. The worst it gets is community service and even then that is usually given as an alternative to prison time rather than because you're serving time.
>>
>>55248054
>cowardly
>/ˈkaʊədli/
>adjective
>adjective: cowardly
>1.lacking courage.
>"he was a weak, cowardly man"
>synonyms: faint-hearted, lily-livered, chicken-hearted, pigeon-hearted, spiritless, spineless, craven; timid, timorous, fearful, trembling, quaking, shrinking, cowering, afraid of one's own shadow, pusillanimous, weak, feeble, soft; informalyellow, chicken, weak-kneed, gutless, yellow-bellied, wimpish, wimpy, sissy, sissified; informalwet; informalcandy-assed; vulgar slangchickenshit; archaicpoltroon, recreant, poor-spirited

>"the cowardly little wretches were trying to keep out of his way"
>•(of an action) carried out against a person who is unable to retaliate.
>"a cowardly attack on a helpless victim"

>adverb
>archaic
>adverb: cowardly
>1.in a way which shows a lack of courage

Nice try, but you don't understand English. You were born speaking English and learnt English wrong. I was educated into English with proper forms. We had to learn every word so we could properly translate our sentences into yours. You are wrong, always have been wrong, and always will be wrong. Because you are uneducated. This is what I think at least. So yeah its a projection.
>>
>>55248101
Oh it still is. They're just not building roads. They're working is manufacturing.
>>
>>55248116
Oh, so it isn't your native language. That explains why you can't see the connection. No worries, you'll get it eventually anon. Keep studying.
>>
>>55245728
>Is it evil to buy a slave from a race that accepts slavery of their own people?
Sure, if you're only gonna buy it and release it later.

If you're gonna keep the slave, its that old case of "If you do it, you're no better than them" cliche.
>>
>>55248116
I'm guessing your education didn't cover a lot of the smaller details, if you think that a word cannot have a relation outside of what's described in a thesaurus or a dictionary.
>>
>>55248148
You already knew that since you were joking about it being my fourth language.
>>
>>55248116
>We had to learn every word
No you didn't, you lying chink.
>>
>>55248166
No, I assumed it. You confirmed it.

But I don't blame for you not making that connection, since you're not a native English speaker.
>>
>>55248156
If a word has a relation outside of the dictionary, then it will be added to it sooner or later.

So tell me, which relation does it have? Because there is also a dictionary specialized in slangs and pop culture stuff. Like urbandictionary. Which is also often wrong about what they type, but it is based on popular vote.

>>55248170
Oh, did you live my life while I was looking or something? You stupid asshole.
>>
>>55248187
There is no connection to be had. Don't think you are better than me because you were born learning spoken English, and were indoctrinated with the wrong usage of the English language.

You see, I understand why you fail to use English because foreigners talk my native language better than ourselves as well. It happens to everyone.
>>
>>55248116
>learnt

Jesus fuck kid, your "training" failed you. Hard.
>>
>>55248188
Uh oh, chinkaman is mad.
>>
>>55248214
Spotted the American. Educate yourself.

>Learned is the more common past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Learnt is a variant especially common outside North America. In British writing...

Do you also type payed?
>>
>>55248223
No, I'm actually laughing at you. You failed to grasp the tone of my words though. Here let me spell it out for you:
>if you are not American, you live in china
Loving every laugh.
>>
>>55248211
>There is no connection to be had.
>a way which shows a lack of courage
>a lack of courage

Really activates the almonds. See this is where your school failed you, they forgot to teach you to remember the historic use of a term.

Also, don't treat the dictionary like a bible, there are plenty of words that had definitions that aren't listed, or words that aren't listed with any definitions at all.

You'll get it. Just takes time and exposure. Though 4chan isn't the best place to go for that.
>>
>>55248250
>Really activates the almonds.
Where? Why?
>>
>>55248250
>there are plenty of words that had definitions that aren't listed,
Yet you couldn't even name one.

>You'll get it. Just takes time and exposure. Though 4chan isn't the best place to go for that.
Kid, I learned English 15 years ago. I told you, I'm learning German now. I already learnt Portuguese.
>>
>>55248229
It's a sign that you're not comfortable with English kid.

>payed
Lots of people do, and trying to take a hi ground over something trivial like that is laughable.
>>
>>55248272
15 years is a long time to get rusty.

>Yet you couldn't even name one.
You seriously don't know what fucking slang is? Holy shit.
>>
>>55245728
Generally, yes. Some settings may differ.

Note that buying a slave and setting it free is not evil, but buying a slave to, you know, have a slave usually is.
>>
>>55248274
> and trying to take a hi ground over something trivial like that is laughable.
Oh, so when I do it is wrong?
>>55248214

You are such a fucking asshole. Why are you so angry anyway? Is it because I know your language better than you? Everyone in the world knows your language better than you.
>>
>>55248245
>I'm not crying, I'm laughing!
>>
>>55248300
>15 years is a long time to get rusty.
I use it every day.

>You seriously don't know what fucking slang is? Holy shit.
Are you pretending to be retarded? I literally told you there are slang dictionaries like 3 posts ago. It's like you can't even read. I feel like I'm talking to a genuine chimp.

I wish I could let you be aware I have had better discussion with 10 year olds practicing their English than with you.
>>
>>55248314
>slang dictionaries are 100% accurate
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (84KB, 964x823px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
84KB, 964x823px
>>55248313
>oh no! he showed me how dumb I am for thinking a world with over 200 countries is composed of just 2
>>
>>55248325
>he said yet another thing I said
Very impressive education you have there. You have had like 5 minutes now and yet failed to name one.

Why do you keep trying?
>>
>>55248341
Well this has been fun. Thanks for the laughs gook.

You have a good night.
>>
>>55248348
Adios, idiota.
>>
File: blacks-queen of detroit.jpg (43KB, 400x473px) Image search: [Google]
blacks-queen of detroit.jpg
43KB, 400x473px
>>55245728

It's only evil if you don't castrate your slaves. If you don't prevent them from breeding, then in a few centuries your country will look like Detroit.
>>
>>55248353
*Adidas
>>
>>55248368
lol

Has to be American.
>>
>>55248314
>slang dictionaries
You know those are a joke, right?

Right?
>>
>>55248381
Oh yeah, so 100% of those dictionaries are wrong? No slang put there is ever right? Is that your argument?

You know you are sounding like a desperate retard. You know this, right? A quick google can dismantle any slang
>>
File: 1503785815433.png (96KB, 578x770px) Image search: [Google]
1503785815433.png
96KB, 578x770px
>>55248326
How's it feel living in a vassal state anon?
>>
>>55248421
Normal? How would I know better, what a dumb question.
>>
>>55245728
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.
Remember, if whatever you're about to do would make Optimus Prime cry, it's probably evil.
>>
>>55248401
>A quick google can dismantle any slang
What do I mean when I say "Senpai, yus gotta just man like shit's tite?"
>>
>>55248445
You tell me.
>>
>this thread
>>
>>55248455
Just google it bruh. Like you said you could.
>>
>>55248455
>slang dictionary
>>
>>55248474
That's nigger speak not slangs. Sounds like "hold it" or something but I'm not sure. I don't speak nigger nor do I intend to ever speak it.
>>
>>55248489
If you speak chimp be my guess and enlighten me in your culture.
>>
>>55248490
>That's nigger speak not slangs.
You're a fucking dumb chink, you know that?
>>
File: 1492305329714.jpg (41KB, 324x394px) Image search: [Google]
1492305329714.jpg
41KB, 324x394px
>>55248505
How exactly would we having a conversation if I was a dumb chink? Don't you think you would be speaking to me in Chinese if that was the case?
>>
>>55248513
>How exactly would we having a conversation
You a word.

Also, the fact that you call this a conversation has me worried about what you talk about with children.
>>
>>55245728
>Summoning /pol/
>>
>>55248548
Yeah, be. But we can't edit posts so...

I tell them about how dumb americans are and how they behave when feeling threatened. This helps them become less belligerent.
>>
>polyglot: the maddening
>>
>>55248598
Ending a sentence with an ellipsis is terrible form. American should be capitalized. Also, you should really teach children better things than your narrow view of Americans.

>we can't edit posts
True, but you can delete them and go back to studying. Right now all you're doing is proving yourself to be extremely ignorant and of poor character.
>>
>>55248688
>Ending a sentence with an ellipsis is terrible form. American should be capitalized.
Nitpicking is a terrible and pathetic thing to do. I was trying on purpose to sound like a newfag so you would get mad and I could laugh at you some more. Instead you went for the pedantic approach, which is as boring as your previous post. After all, you are replying to me to entertain me, right?
> Also, you should really teach children better things than your narrow view of Americans.
Yeah, because fuck teaching kids to be less belligerent right? You have your priorities right.

>True, but you can delete them
I'm not looking for that smug Dracula image again.
> and go back to studying
lol

>Right now all you're doing is proving yourself to be extremely ignorant and of poor character.
How about we try talking in another language then. Since I'm so ignorant in yours that apparently we can't have a conversation anymore. Which language do you prefer then?
>>
>>55248116
>I was educated into English with proper forms.
Are you also going to tell there is only one version of contemporary English?
>>
>>55248777
Maybe you should keep reading about how I spotted a bunch of Americans after they thought learnt wasn't an actual word.

dumb americans trying to change the language of their fathers
>>
>>55248758
>we can't have a conversation anymore.
So why can't you just be quiet already? No one cares about your dying tongues anon.

And please don't try and tell us you're intelligent when you spent half this page bickering with trolls like a child.
>>
>>55248794
>about how I spotted a bunch of Americans
>>
>>55246155
yes hello this is antifa
>>
>>55248794
>trying to change the language of their fathers
No one tell him that languages change naturally over time. He'd have a stroke, if he isn't already having one.
>>
>>55248801
Oh, so I'm an ignorant for making mistakes on a second language. But you are not an ignorant for not knowing a single word of a different language than your native one?

American hypocrisy.

>And please don't try and tell us you're intelligent when you spent half this page bickering with trolls like a child.
Please, don't try to pretend you have any intelligence in yours. I know you are trying to sound smart, but I'm afraid it just doesn't suit you when you lack so much education. I'm sorry, maybe you should just be quiet? Follow the lead of the rest of your kin, and be quiet.
>>
>>55248840
No one tell him that so do dictionaries. He'd have a stroke, if he isn't having one already.

Let me guess, you still think literally doesn't mean figuratively even in the dictionary?
>>
>>55248490
>claims to be able to effortlessly translate slang
>can't even translate negronese
Dishonor anon. You bring yourself great dishonor.
>>
>>55248865
>negronese
>language
Good joke.
>>
>>55248842
You're ignorant because I've watched you bicker with trolls for at least what, ~50 responses? It's obvious they're getting to you mate, just go do something else.
>>
>>55248862
>Let me guess, you still think literally doesn't mean figuratively even in the dictionary?
Which dictionary? Gotta be specific buckoroo.
>>
>>55248907
merriam Webster and oxford.
>>
>>55248842
Think we could mine your anger and use it as a catalyst in a fusion reactor?
>>
>>55248927
Which ones? Gotta be more specific bubbly-buddy.

Also, Merriam and Oxford should be capitalized phamy-ham.
>>
>>55248895
I'm happy you are worried about my well being. But I assure you, this is my pastime. Its just like any other day to me. I know it scares you to see different things, but its okay. Maybe next time you don't throw wood to the fire.
>>
>>55248949
What do you mean which ones? Do you not know what those are?
>>
File: ao2wD6n_700b.jpg (43KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
ao2wD6n_700b.jpg
43KB, 700x483px
>>55248950
>deep throating shitty bait is my pastime
>>
>>55248929
If we could harness anger, imagine what we would do with 4chan as a whole. Makes you think.
>>
>>55248982

but 4chan was never meant to be whole.
>>
>>55248950
>>55248966
You really aught to stop multi-posting anon. It clutters up the thread.
>>
>>55248978
I always chuckle when I see irony.
>>
>>55248992
boo hoo
>>
>>55248991
>>55248982
Really, such an idea is heresy.

>>55248995
>irony
I audibly sighed.
>>
File: 1501721766677.gif (240KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1501721766677.gif
240KB, 320x320px
>>55249010
>audibly
>sighed
Is this a fat thing?
>>
File: 397.jpg (262KB, 651x1600px) Image search: [Google]
397.jpg
262KB, 651x1600px
They may say that /a/ is shit

But this thread would have been filled with loli porn and deleted by now in /a/.

Instead we've got a foreign exchange wannabe fondling the trolls because "he enjoys it"
>>
>>55249020
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ael27Z8Dj_s

Have an educational video youngster.
>>
>>55247892
>limp wristed faggot thinking that killing backwards savages is anything but good
lol
>>
>>55249086
How old are you?
>>
>>55245728
No. Most people buy into slavery in one form or another. Slavery is only bad because it has been deemed bad. Many campaigns take place in fucking feudal lands so I don't see why everyone gets their panties twisted about slaves.
I really see nothing wrong with slavery as a concept. Also generally when you summon a creature you are forcing it into slavery. A lot of times these creatures are intelligent as well.

If a player wants to take a slave I'll allow them, but it's not like this gives them a free pass to abuse them. If you treat them poorly they'll likely fuck you over when they can.
>>
>>55249095
You've been hooked again brazzi. Might as well swallow.
>>
>>55249110
Too afraid to answer, I'm guessing?

I was asking because you clearly didn't watch the video you posted. At no point was there an audibly sigh in the video. You have to be young as fuck to be so lazy you didn't even watch a 30 second long video.
>>
>>55249127
skip to 7 seconds in and pause it. then read.
>>
>>55249105
>a free pass to abuse them
This. At the core, the only thing wrong about slavery is that in slavery times the owners were allowed to treat the slaves like shit. I think you can have a pretty humanitarian slavery system if someone actually tries.
>>
>>55249144
Oh, yeah I didn't watch it just let it run expecting an audibly sigh. Now that I read it, I can see you are right, you are fatigued. Go get some water, fatty.
>>
>>55249158
>anon plays counter bait
>it's salty and ineffective
>>
>>55249165
>fish bites anyway
>>
>>55249172
>implying
>>
>>55249181
Don't play this game. Unless you have 3 hours ready to waste. I will win. Just call me an autist and move on
>>
Please let this thread hit the bump limit already. This is going no where productive.

Multi-language boy, shut up. Trolls, shut up. Everyone just shut up and at least have the courtesy to sage the fucking thread when you shit.
>>
>>55249194
You have been polite to me twice now. Fine. I will no longer make a post. This is just for you.

You are a good person.
>>
File: 213.jpg (216KB, 864x684px) Image search: [Google]
213.jpg
216KB, 864x684px
>>55249192
>>55249202
Glad you're conceding.

Remember that accepting terrible things currently happening is cowardly.
>>
File: 19cwys.jpg (59KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
19cwys.jpg
59KB, 300x225px
>>55249225
>>
>>55245906
Of course it does. It's just not a monolithic force in the universe or whatever bullshit.

Evil is knowing you're doing something bad, something that is, either directly or indirectly, going to fuck over someone else somehow, and choosing to do that thing anyways. Open and Shut.
>>
>>55245866
Freedom is a privilege afforded to the worthy, not a right assured to the mundane.
>>
>>55245728
Slavery is considered evil in real life even though blacks were often enslaved by other blacks, so assuming your setting has modern morality it would be evil. If your setting does not have modern-day western morality then it may or may not be depending on what morality you do have.
>>
>>55249295
Under this definition of Evil, what's the correct answer to the Trolley Problem? It seems like this definition would mean that you're evil no matter what you do in that situation.
>>
File: 1439750137934.jpg (66KB, 514x945px) Image search: [Google]
1439750137934.jpg
66KB, 514x945px
>>55246057
Which god do you mean? The one whose followers are called his slaves and sheep?
>>
>>55250055
I'll tell you more. Whites were often enslaved by other whites, and by browns who also enslaved other browns, and Asians would enslave Asians for centuries.
>>
File: art_2_by_spmaker82-d4oarkq.png (54KB, 801x481px) Image search: [Google]
art_2_by_spmaker82-d4oarkq.png
54KB, 801x481px
>>55245728
Better question, is it evil to enslave a race of people that despite protest, have frequently used slavery themselves, and their genetic social and ecological traits actually present evidence to suggest they do this because they are a sub-species prone to fits of lucid aimless boredom and procrastination, where found outside of a social structure where an established leader is present, to motivate or more often than not, coerce them towards productivity, and can only develop their intellect to that of a pre-teen due to a higher concentration of testosterone and faster growth rate than that of other races often increase reckless base, primitive behaviors, and in addition to this long period of time spent in this state in their life-cycle have very little to aspire to as a result, being a species not worth the time of any other, best left avoided to their own devices, unmolested by the progression of the modern world?
>>
>>55249202
I know you have poor English skills, but tell you to shut up and fuck off is far from polite, chinanon.
>>
>>55249225
Fuck up you dumb autistic, you are wrong and everyone knows it, fucking drink bleach ffs.
>>
>>55253317
>>55249245
>anon drops some bait along with a picture of a gentleme fishing, making it clear that it is bait.
>polyglot bites it hook line and sinker, twice.
>and still doesn't understand the meaning behind anons statement
>>
>>55253317
That's not how you sage anon.
>>
File: 1349781751176.gif (445KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1349781751176.gif
445KB, 250x188px
...Yes?

What the race feels doesn't matter. What matters is how the slave you own feels.

If they're okay with indentured servitude, maybe it's not an absolute evil, but there's still room to question the morality, especially when you get into forcing a slave to do things they don't want, or keeping them in servitude longer than they wish, even when you have the contractual or legal authority to do so.
>>
>>55245728
Yes.
>>
>>55253317
>you are wrong and everyone knows it
But he's right. Just accepting that bad stuff happens and making no effort to prevent or correct wrongs you disagree with is a cowards way of dealing with their weakness.
>>
>>55245773
...then why is the history of Americans importing/buying slaves from already enslaved Africans demonized?
>>
>>55251429
Yes because it is evil to hold another sapient individual against their will in the manner that a slaver holds a slave against their will. Imprison them for an offense? Yes. Defend yourself if they attack? Yes. But no, it is not and never will be an neutral or good act to enslave another group of sapient individuals, regardless of their own immoral or evil actions. Better to not associate with them, close your borders to them, refuse trade with them, etc.
>>
>>55245894
>not using alignment as part of a Moorcock-style cosmic struggle
>>
>>55245728
Well that was what almost all of the Transatlantic slave trade was. Africans selling their own people and captured people from enemy tribes to white folks in exchange for shit-tier firearms and moonshine . Personally I think that's way less moral than buying them but that's just me.
>>
>>55254119
nice hee, ho
>>
>>55248355
>>55248355

Why didn't the Atlantic slave traders castrated their cargo? Not letting them procreate seems like an easy way to keep the demand constant.
>>
>>55245812
>Is the slave themself consenting
Now all I can think of is pic related
>>
File: max stirner.jpg (6KB, 200x175px) Image search: [Google]
max stirner.jpg
6KB, 200x175px
>Evil

Nice spook ya got there
>>
>>55245812
How can you consent to be a slave? It's go against the definition.
>>
>>55260516

It actually isn't. The definition of slave is a person owned by another. We think of slavery as those captured and forced into servitide because that was a common practice in many cultures in history, but there are historical accounts of cultures where the impoverished would sell themselves into slavery to pay their debts or because they could not longer support the cost of living.
>>
>>55249548
Privilege that is contingent on a social virtue designated by those in power is not freedom, just another means of control.
>>
File: ugh.jpg (48KB, 627x626px) Image search: [Google]
ugh.jpg
48KB, 627x626px
>>55245985
>>
>>55249548
Kill yourself.
>>
>>55257589
Probably risk of infection and death. Slaves are fucking expensive. Also if you're trying to pack 50 slaves into a hold would you want them screeching in pain and thrashing around when you've cut their balls off?
>>
File: 1504632051789.png (323KB, 466x575px) Image search: [Google]
1504632051789.png
323KB, 466x575px
>>55248950
>this is my pastime
and you expect us to believe you're fluent in multiple languages?

when your English comprehension skills are middle school level at best to boot?
>>
>>55257589
The buyers go elsewhere, where they can get slaves that weren't mutilated.
>>
>>55245728

depends on the setting. If it's a setting where slavery is common and accepted, slavery isn't an inherently evil act, because it's the standard, neutral. However, it would be against the compact of a good character.

The only time a good character could have a slave would be if it were a roman system, where slaves are basically just criminals who have been given work to do to keep them from being a drain on society and to come out of their punishment with experience to become contributing members of society. But then it's not really slavery, is it?
>>
File: escape-from-detroit.jpg (29KB, 620x359px) Image search: [Google]
escape-from-detroit.jpg
29KB, 620x359px
>>55248355
"Y-you're the Queen of Detroit, you're A-number-one."
>>
>>55245866
what about selling yourself into slavery to pay off a debt?

also how can it be evil if the Bible explicitly states treatment of slaves. If God says its ok then it is. Unless you are evil in your ownership.
>>
>>55245866
Seems pretty damn negotiable to me
>>
>>55246032
I can't believe divine theory still ass blasts people
>>
File: 1504624157093.png (93KB, 203x345px) Image search: [Google]
1504624157093.png
93KB, 203x345px
>WAAAAAAH SLAVERY IS ILLEGAL MUH HUMAN RIGHTS
>don't explicitly call it slavery
>no reaction
>>
>>55258114
beat me to it, my property.
>>
>>55265986
>>55266007
The right to liberty shall not be infringed.
>>
>>55245866
lol you're such a retard
>>
Slavery is cool though
>>
>>55268351
god wills it.
who are you to deny a god?
>>
>this retarded thread is still up days later
>>
>>55245728
Yes, for the same reason that murdering someone of a race that accepts murder is evil.
Thread posts: 288
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.