[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me understand. How does Dominate exactly works? If I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

Help me understand. How does Dominate exactly works?

If I'm right, I roll against the target WILL and if I win it does anything as long as it's not self destructive. What exactly affects my chance of succeding? Is there a way to boost chance?

Also what exactly is self destructive? Why can I tell it to go fight but I cannot tell it to kill itself? Could I tell it to walk towards the middle of ocean or like jump from a bridge?

At least, removing self destructive, is anything on the table? Could I for example ask the King to assassinate the prince? Or him to give me all the gold in the kingdom or command his troops to destroy another kingdom?
>>
File: Brettblob.png (409KB, 767x573px) Image search: [Google]
Brettblob.png
409KB, 767x573px
>>55236485
WHAT FUCKIN' GAME NIMROD
>>
>>55236497
DnD 3.5.
>>
>>55236485
>Help me understand. How does Dominate exactly works?
Read the fucking book.

>If I'm right, I roll against the target WILL and if I win it does anything as long as it's not self destructive. What exactly affects my chance of succeding? Is there a way to boost chance?
Standard will save. Boost it by boosting your spellcasting modifier and by weakening its will save. You can do that by reducing its wisdom, or casting one of the spells that exist for that purpose.

>Also what exactly is self destructive? Why can I tell it to go fight but I cannot tell it to kill itself? Could I tell it to walk towards the middle of ocean or like jump from a bridge?
The rule is that it disobeys any "obviously self-destructive" commands. So anything that's going to lead to certain death. It's meant to prevent it from being a will save Finger of Death spell. So walking into the ocean would work until it gets too deep, jumping off a bridge would work if the fall was survivable. Fighting a monster would be up to your DM; I'd say it'd work unless it was obviously impossible to win, like feeding a peasant to a tarrasque, and that they'd retreat if they were too close to death.

>At least, removing self destructive, is anything on the table? Could I for example ask the King to assassinate the prince? Or him to give me all the gold in the kingdom or command his troops to destroy another kingdom?
Yes. Anything is on the table. But remember that if you give them a command against their nature they get another save at +2. So the first two commands would absolutely get another save at a bonus. The latter might, depending on whether it's an allied nation or one they've been feuding with for a while.
>>
File: D-049_Mokuba_soulless.jpg (11KB, 120x239px) Image search: [Google]
D-049_Mokuba_soulless.jpg
11KB, 120x239px
>>55236485
>>55236497
Also another one: I read that a Sense Motive check can show if a person is under power. Okay. But does a person under power demonstrate it? Like do they start talking slowly in phrases, or stay quiet, or walk with soulless eyes?
>>
>>55236581
I read. Also thanks for the answers.

However, that gives up a point: the book says I can command it to fight. So I could technically tell him to 'keep fighting soldiers' and wait until they kill the target?
>>
File: pyramid.png (34KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
pyramid.png
34KB, 400x280px
>>55236485
>Dominate
The better spell caster the harder it is to not get Dominated. You should know your spell DC its outlined in your class.
The lower their wisdom the lower their will save so lowing that will make it easier
> subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus.
So if its like : king kill the prince then he would get another saving throw after the spell was cast.
A gm might bump this up higher if its an overwhelming odds or really against what he would do.
A person will always follow the base of the needs pyramid. Anything above that is fair game nimrob
>>
>>55236584
Limited range of activity. They only do what you explicitly command them to, and the bare minimum needed to survive. So they're not just quiet, they're full on robots.
>>
>>55236853
>So they're not just quiet, they're full on robots.
Well, it takes DC 15 sense motive check to notice that someone is dominated, so it's not THAT obvious.
>>
>>55236853
Then every person who is not retarded would notice it.
>>
>>55236931
>>55237055
That's because we're very good at rationalizing that kind of behavior. Most people will brush it off with a "maybe they're tired," or "I wonder if something's going on?" But even someone who completely unfamiliar with the person and is completely oblivious (net -4 to sense motive) still has a chance to figure out that something is wrong.
>>
>>55237136
>That's because we're very good at rationalizing that kind of behavior. Most people will brush it off with a "maybe they're tired," or "I wonder if something's going on?"
Yeah, nah. You don't mistake someone acting like a robot to being a little tired.
>>
>>55237286
They are not acting like a robot. DC 15 is that you know detailed information about something common. Like in our world it would be knowing all the details of the birth of jesus including the stuff about king Herod
>>
>>55236599
Usually if you make it do something it wouldn't usually do (described as "against its nature" 0 which would be up to the DM), it gets to make another will check (with a +2 bonus) for each thing it wouldn't usually do.

So if you get it to attack its own friends: will check. if it fails, it attacks them.
If you then get it to burn down its own guard tower: will check. If it passes it comes out of the spell and is no longer dominated.

This way you take a chance every time you force it to do something it wouldn't usually do - there's a chance it will snap out of the spell.

Generally you use dominate to stop one enemy from attacking you, although it could be used for recon or a bunch of other uses. Generally you see it used in combat to take an enemy out of the picture for the duration of the spell.
>>
>>55238665
>They are not acting like a robot
The spell description says they do one thing and only one thing. only stopping to take care of personal needs.

So if the wizard makes someone sit. They will sit. They will not react if someone comes close or tries to talk to them.

The wizard could change the command, but the commands are still limited. You cannot conduct a convincing conversation through dominate. You could make the dominated person say 2 different words every 6 seconds if you spend all your actions changing the command into "say x word".

Saying 2 words every 6 seconds would sound pretty much like a robot, and this is assuming the wizard is in the area and can hear the other side of the conversation.
You could spend a standard action to recieve full sensory input from the dominated person, but that would only leave you 1 new command every 6 seconds - so one word.

You also run the risk of the subject repeating the commanded word over and over again - up to the DM.

It would be fairly easy to work out if someone is being dominated, which is why its DC15.
>>
>>55238835
So every 'unnatural' command takes another check?

Is there a version of this spell that is stronger? PayDay Stockholm Syndrome seems more useful than this. If it's about just removing an enemy of battle, I would use the easier spell Sleep.
>>
>>55239353
Obviously you need to be judicious with your commands. Ordering them to kill their allies will get you a save, but they wouldn't get a new one each round of combat or anything.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.