[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Competitive Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 41

File: tfwnooldjund.jpg (103KB, 620x325px) Image search: [Google]
tfwnooldjund.jpg
103KB, 620x325px
Bring my boy back edition

What are some cards you think have fallen from grace besides pic related lately?

Playing, Haitng etc

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com
>>
>>55232407
I honestly think bob is fine, even though traditional jund is out now, he's still seeing a lot of play in mono black and b/w builds.
>>
File: duskmantle-mindcrank.png (238KB, 600x867px) Image search: [Google]
duskmantle-mindcrank.png
238KB, 600x867px
>>55232407
>Playing/Brewing
Pic related
>Hating
It's always Tron, baby
Still waiting for that Eldrazi Temple ban

Man, now that I think about it, Bob really has fallen from grace, hasn't he?
>>
File: Smallpox.png (167KB, 1133x677px) Image search: [Google]
Smallpox.png
167KB, 1133x677px
>>55232407
Post song(s) related to your deck(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDtGfvc3WzY

Pic related is similar to mine minus the Myth Realized and a few other things. I also use Blood Scrivener over Dark Confidant because I'm afraid of bleeding too much.
I should probably try Myth Realized. My FLGS would probably give me a set for $5 at most, so not much of a cost if things end up being lame.
>>
>>55232407

nothing gets my dick harder like watching Jund goodstuff fall from grace as the lead deck. Just braindead jamming Bob, Lightning Bolt, and Tarmy into a deck and calling it a day is long gone. Get fucking wrecked.
>>
File: deck.png (262KB, 956x629px) Image search: [Google]
deck.png
262KB, 956x629px
Just 4-0'd modern night with this bad boy.
>delver is strictly worse than shadow, they said
Taste it, mom and dad. Beat W/U Death and Taxes, BW Tokens, Goblins, and Jund. Vapor Snag was ass but Yung Pyro and Sleight of Hand over performed.
>>
>Want to play Modern
>Don't enjoy playing aggro
>Don't feel like it's worth spending hundreds of dollars for a deck
>Realize that there's no good Modern community nearby
>Cry a little inside
>>
>>55233276
theme song: https://youtu.be/2NOc1Gnu18I
>>
>>55233276
God, I love delver. Such a fun card.
>>
File: lantern_combo.png (948KB, 850x581px)
lantern_combo.png
948KB, 850x581px
Halfway through my Lantern build. Playtesting with proxies but generally the results are good. Still, can't decide on a few things.

>Mishra's bauble
>Crucible
>Maindeck Leylines

Leylines is great against burn, which is your primary weakness, but if you draw it late it can fuck up the bridge. Dunno whether to keep it mainboard. Bauble and Crucible are also hard to decide on.

>>55233276
Need to build a delver deck sometime, it's still one of my favorite cards. Still, I'd like to work in vendillion somehow.
>>
>>55232407
Spellskite is pretty much gone from sideboards these days
>>
What cheap jank deck would Runechanter Pike be best in? Mono Black Infect, BW Tokens, or some sort of budget Faeries build?
>>
>>55233431
But it shouldn't be, the card is amazing.
If you're running a combo deck it's a great way to keep your pieces alive without using a lot of resources.
>>
>>55233460
I can't see that card fitting into any of the decks you listed.
>>
>>55233506
It's a good card but most of the reasons people sided it in the past aren't valid anymore. Twin and Infect are dead, and Bogles has fallen off the radar as GDS and Eldrazi Tron became the gatekeepers of the format. Spellskite isn't even that great as a removal magnet anymore, because there's a lot less Bolts and lot more Pushes and Paths flying around, and many of the fair decks run Kommand and can kill the Skite with a two for one.
>>
>>55233553
I don't run a creature deck so my concern is more along the lines of Abrupt Decay or something to that extent which makes Spellskite still a very good card.
>>
>>55233520
That's a shame; love the card. Which of those three decks would be the most viable?
>>
>>55233604
The Mono-Black infect list is already using it so probably that But infect fucking sucks now, so there's that
>>
File: 238472390412.png (396KB, 1118x1028px) Image search: [Google]
238472390412.png
396KB, 1118x1028px
>>55233428
>Have a friend who plays Lantern exclusively against my GDS
>Kcommand his lantern
>"sure whatever"
>Surgical his lantern
>Mfw forcing a lantern to play blind
>>
God tonight was fucking AIDS. I went to a store an hour away because I kinda wanted to play some Modern. I brung Burn. Only 6 people showed up but i was content with just getting to play. Then the autism begins. First round I get paired against a Titanshift player who mulls to 4 both games and I proceed to obviously crush him. He rages every single mulligan, just constantly bitching about his hand then spends less then 5 seconds shuffling and hands the deck over just to mull again. After I beat him I get paired against this huge autist on Mono Red Tron. He smells so fucking bad and I usually dont complain about people smelling a bit but fuck this guy reeked he smelled almost exactly like a skunk it was awful. I beat him Game 1, Game 2 I misplay cause hes tilting as fuck to play against as he has no concept of game rules at all and is super quick and fidgety, example is that he thought Destructive Revelry doesnt deal damage if the artifact it targets is indestructible. Game 3 I beat him but I technically didnt hes just a fucking moron and didnt read his card so when I targetted a lethal banefire for 12 with deflecting palm he scooped even though id still be dead, hes just a fucking retard and didnt read his own card lol.
Game 3 was against the only normal person, we talked about how bad the Mono Red Tron autist smelled and he beat me, overall a 2 hour roundtrip drive netted me a pack of Dragon shields. Im still tilted.
>>
>>55233428
I would sideboard the Leyline and crucible and keep bauble maindeck personally
>>
>>55233679
>I brung Burn.
stopped reading there
>>
>>55233678
>waiting till turn 4 to drop lantern
That match was over before it began
>>
>>55233660
What's wrong with Infect? Is it the mechanic as a whole, or just the UG build?
>>
>>55233713
UG was the only good build and without Git Probe it sucks.
>>
>>55233709
Fair enough
>>
>>55233713
The archetype as a whole died along with Gitaxian Probe.
Imagine this. You go all in pumping your creature only to have it fatal pushed, what then?
There's no efficient way to check your opponents hand anymore (besides discard, which still costs mana) so you can never be sure if it's safe to go all in.
Case in point, infect is dead.
>>
>>55233699
Its either that or Titanshift. Both are just as uninteractive infact Titanshift is arguably more uninteractive then Burn. Deck elitism is cancer though since the best decks in this format are all linear like Titanshift, Burn, Affinity, and Eldrazi Tron. If you are trying to be as competitive as possible then its highly encouraged to champion an uninteractive deck, as the interactive ones have much more hard fought matches and have more chance to draw badly since the reactive spells are only good when reacting to the right threat.
>>
>>55233746
>Its either that or Titanshift.
No, no you don't understand.
>Brung
>>
>>55233758
Ive had a few drinks to forget the pain of tonight. Sorry if I didnt use proper grammar. Basically this just proves to me that im no longer going to go to any event thats not a PPTQ or at my personal local Game store because I always regret it due to some cancer that occurs when I go to other stores in the area that arent the amazing LGS I frequent.
>>
>>55233787
Be glad that you actually have a good LGS.
My ""FLGS"" is basically how you described your experience at the other store. Shit.
>>
>>55233823
Im so glad my LGS is good. So many LGSes around here fucking suck. Theyre filled with shitbrews, cancerous rules ignorant scrubs, and autists who smell.
>>
>>55233738
What about mono black infect? No pump spells, your two main Infect threats are too big to be Pushed unless they Revolt that turn, and recursion/revival could possibly be sided against heavy control decks.
>>
File: gplille_bloodmoon_thumb.jpg (105KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
gplille_bloodmoon_thumb.jpg
105KB, 768x432px
I've never played modern (EDH, proxy'd legacy and draft mostly), was wondering how strong blood moon is in the format?

I really wanted to play that BR pack rat deck, since it has a lot of my favorite cards in it. Does Blood Moon just hose some decks like Tron or Titan Shift? or is it more of an minor annoyance to them
>>
>>55233987
its prominent
>>
>>55233987
There are many good blood moon decks and its a fairly good strategy.
>>
>>55233986
Why not just play GDS?
The whole point of Infect was to go fast and play against half life total. Problem is, Phyrexian Crusader is still only a 2/2, so that half life benefit is outweighed by running 1-mana 5/5s like GDS.

Hell, monoblack DS is probably better than monoblack Infect.
>>
What are the worst basic land arts I can run? I'm looking for forests and swamps specifically, but lets extend the question to any type of basic for others who want their mana base as ugly as possible.
>>
>>55234036
What about Vatmother and Reaper?
>>
>>55234363
White border is probably a must
>>
>>55234368
>a four and five drop
Are you for real. Stop worrying about dodging Push.
>>
>>55234369
Yeah, I was thinking either something white-border or something with the M15 border - maybe something completely unremarkable and bland is the way to go.
>>
>>55234402
Sorry, meant Hand of the Praetor instead of Reaper of Sheoldred.
>4 drop
Vatmother closes the game in 3 swings, 2 if boosted by Reaper or Bad Moon, likely 1 with Lashwrithe. Play the deck out as a mono black control, and use the infect creatures as a way of putting pressure on quickly.
>>
>>55234369
>not running mismatched lands where half are white border and half aren't
>>
>>55234462
>winning T7 with no interruptions
You do you, anon.
>>
>>55234462
What control options do you plan to use?
>>
>>55234520
Discard
>Despise, Wrench Mind, Blackmail, maybe IoK, side Duress

Kill spells
>Victim of Night, Dismember, Fatal Push if I can find some for cheap/for trade, Geth's Verdict maybe, Murderous Cut possibly

Other things
>Dash Hopes, Darkness
>>
>>55233276
Gratz on beating not really decks.
>>
>>55234565
>a big pile of two-mana removal and targetless discard
>and four-drop creatures
>"Fatal Push if I can find some cheap"

Just say you're looking for a budget deck instead of making it appear as if you think your shitbrew is comparable to GDS.
A word of warning -- you're going to have less possible actions per turn due to mana. It will cost you games. You also don't have anything to protect your finishers at instant speed, like control usually has.
Seriously consider some Inkmoth Nexuses. $20 may be more than you'd like per, but having that extra source of damage that must be killed at instant speed will win games, and is the most reliable way to boost the deck you're considering.
>>
>>55234666
I'd like to start as cheap as possible, and if I enjoy the format, slowly improve my deck.
>>
>>55234674
Thats the thing you won't enjoy the format unless you actually buy or build a functioning deck. If you want cheap and functioning you go for janky strategies like Restore Balance, Matyr Proc and Kiln Fiend.

You can just throw a pile of cheap "near playable" cards together in a color but you will likely get crushed by the strictly better cards of your opponents. Modern is a format with decks that can win instantly turns 2 to 4 and if you can't do that or lock your opponent you can't really play.
>>
>>55234985
Then I don't see much of a point in trying it out. I'm not going to waste $400 on a deck, when if I don't like the format, I'll get maybe $250 back if I'm lucky.
>>
>>55234998
You can make something playable for around 100 to 150 but you will still feel the pressure when you don't have your optimal sideboard cards or are facing someone with an actual top tier 75. If you want to play paper magic its gonna cost money, and eternal paper formats are real pricey these days.

If you're willing to play MTGO then everything is a bit cheaper and you can play standard without worrying about rotation costs.
>>
>>55235028
I don't have an LGS nearby so I only play with a group of 15 people at most and almost everyone uses sub 60 dollar decks. It's actually more fun like this, I find.
>>
>>55235028
>>55235204
MTGO doesn't look that good of an option to me. I guess modern's just not for me, then.
>>
>>55235215
Welcome to white people hobbies, anon
>>
>>55235225
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm willing to spend large sums of money on hobbies if I feel confident that it'll be worth sticking with (like Warhammer 40K). Magic just isn't great enough to justify the high price tag.
>>
>>55235238
Sure thing, anon
>>
>>55235238
That's what we always say when getting out and regretting it later. It sounds stupid when the prices are what they are.
When summing up the hours of entertainment and weighing it vs a possible loss it becomes a laughably cheap hobby. Heck, for most of the games history you should have even been able to quit and sell at a profit.
>>
>>55234369
>>55234440
>>55234497
I don't see any problem with any of these. Try to overcome your OCD.

The only thing that counts is the art, who cares about the borders.
>>
I haven't touched Modern since BBE was banned (had nothing to do with the banning). I want to jam a bunch of Gifts packages into Eternal Command. How retarded is this? I don't know what the threats are to think about.
>>
>>55235386
How are you getting back even close to full value on your cards? And every time I've played at my LGS, it was a tense, awkward time, and made me question why I play the game in the first place.
>>
>>55236496
Even if you don't, a draft is cheap entertainment even if you didn't get to take the cards with you after it's over.
>>
>>55237097
Draft? None of the LGSes in the area do that.
>>
>>55234998
>paying 400$ and only getting 250$
I have no idea how it works in Merica but MTG has been the only hobby in which I'm fine with spending since when I sell my Decks I usually get the amount I payed or even more (for example I got my Eldrazi Tron for 300-350€ and sold it for 580€)
As long as I don't build FotM or Ban-worth Decks, I don't see risks.
>>
>>55234565
try this. you don't need to run liliana of the veil or thoughtseize at first, you can replace them with blackmail and more removal or something.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-8-rack-39206#paper
>>
>>55234565
Dash hopes works better when you're not playing infect. If they know their life total is pseudo worthless they will pay five every time.

I'm copying that build honestly. I'll post something when I come up with it in a few days.
>>
What's the best way to manage your collection? Is there any app I can use on my phone?
>>
>>55239034
MTG Familiar
>>
>>55239061
There's no option for an inventory/collection and you can't even add cards as foil.

What's the point?
>>
>>55239329
The Tappedout app works fine.
>>
>>55233987
Blood moon might just be my favourite card. Can completely hose decks or make them way less efficient. Against decks it doesnt hit that hard you can always side it out
>>
>>55233428
I don't really like any of those mainboard. But then again the Lantern variant I played ran 4 maindeck Pithing Needle so my opinion probably doesn't matter
>>
BW tokens is going to be big when the the new planeswalker rule is in effect
>>
>be me
>playing stupid Junk Reanimator Deck based on the same deck from INN-RAV standard
>end up playing against some retard playing UW "Rev for 15" Control complete with Elixers and everything
It was like going back in time, to when I was still in highschool. It was awful.
>>
>>55241265
Why would you think that? Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Sorin, Solemn Visitor are the only walkers worth playing in BW tokens. You don't actually want to play Lord of Innistrad in tokens do you?
>>
>>55241311
>Gideon
Opinion disregarded
>>
>people who just concede to a thoughtsieze
pretty sad desu
>>
>>55241402
Who the fuck does this?
>>
>>55238938
>Dash Hopes works better when you're not playing infect
So maybe a deck with Gifted Aetherborn, Vampire Nighthawk, Gray Merchant, and Lashwrithe?
>>
File: 1476602425448.png (983KB, 1388x689px) Image search: [Google]
1476602425448.png
983KB, 1388x689px
>>55232407
>play
BGx and Skred.
>hate
I guess eldrazi temple
>brew
Jeskai Ascendancy as a value engine.

Wish I could still play Probe. Peek isn't worth 1 mana. Also kind of wanting to try to make room for Stoke the Flames.
>>
>>55241436
By the time you get them to 5 or 6 life you basically have a bb counterspell. But in that deck I can see it being a lot stronger than in infect where you don't care about their original life total
>>
>>55241494
And BB burn 5 is still good.
>>
>>55241416
Salty scrubs on Xmage
>>
>>55241416
Shahaar Shenhar conceded game 1 to a Gitaxian Probe once. He tried to hide his deck from his opponent, but his opponent already knew what he was on. He then sideboarded for the wrong matchup and got destroyed game 2.

Lesson is: don't concede to having your fucking hand revealed like holy shit.
>>
>>55241505
It is good. It is very mana efficient for one card. However the only downside of it being based on their life total is that there will times when you want to/need to counter a spell early on and you can't because they can just pay five and win. If your deck had a lower curve out it would totally be viable however.
>>
>>55232407
does anyone have an esper draw-go list?

i wanna build one but dunno where to start
>>
>tfw you play magic with just your friends and after reading threads with everyone describing their worst experiences you've lost all desire to ever try playing at even a pre-release
>>
>>55242134
People tend to vent more about their bad experiences than talk about their good ones. I've gone to every pre-release since SOI and I've had a good time at every one of them. Don't let peoples negativity discourage you from joining in at store events and such, they can be a lot of fun.
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 189x266px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 189x266px
Move over Tidehollow Sculler, reddit assures me this is your new and improved cousin!
>>
>>55242656
>visiting Reddit

Stay there next time.
>>
>>55242851
>not going to reddit during spoilers to pick up gems like "kitesail freebooter replaces tidehollow sculler in modern D&T and all variants"
>>
>>55233101
Does anyone else want to post songs?

>Bant Eldazi CoCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5GXbk58R0

>>55241995
You could try UW Control and try to fit in discard and Fatal Push.
Esper Charm is awesome since not only do you get draw 2 or discard 2, but also maindeck enchantment answers.
>>
>>55242656
>no benefit from flickering
Nah its trash
>>
>>55242935

>going to reddit for any reason

Stay there
>>
File: Esper Charm_ALA.jpg (212KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
Esper Charm_ALA.jpg
212KB, 672x936px
>>55241995
Here's my current one:

Creatures: 2
2 Snapcaster Mage

Instants: 26
4 Path to Exile
2 Fatal Push
4 Think Twice
3 Logic Knot
2 Negate
4 Esper Charm
4 Cryptic Command
2 Sphinx's Revelation
1 White Sun's Zenith

Sorceries: 7
4 Serum Visions
3 Supreme Verdict

Lands: 25
3 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Watery Grave
1 Godless Shrine
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp
3 Glacial Fortress
3 Drowned Catacomb

Sideboard: 15
2 Dispel
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Runed Halo
2 Vendilion Clique
1 Cast Out
1 Supreme Verdict
2 Baneslayer Angel
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

I'm still not entirely sold on the 25 land Serum Visions build, but it's been alright so far.
>>
>>55243093
>>55242935
>>55242851
Website wars woooo!!!!! FUCK leddit!!

protip: this site is reddit and reddit is here to stay
t. ancient oldfag
>>
>>55241622
How are the following:
>Asylum Visitor
>Gatekeeper of Malakir
>Oona's Prowler
>Vampire Hexmage (side against PW-heavy decks)
>Wicked Akuba
>Pack Rat
>>
>>55243093
waiter, this meme is stale
>>
File: 1492927497582.png (249KB, 406x403px) Image search: [Google]
1492927497582.png
249KB, 406x403px
>>55242948
>Bant Eldrazi
>CoCo
For what purpose?
>>
>>55243224
Sweet, sweet Matter Reshaper memes
>>
>>55243202
>Asylum Visitor
Its alright
>Gatekeeper of Malakir
Really Good
>Oona's Prowler
Trash
>Vampire Hexmage (side against PW-heavy decks)
Better off playing Hero's Downfall IMO
>Wicked Akuba
Unplayable trash
>Pack Rat
Great card to build around
>>
>>55243682
How would I build around Pack Rat?
>>
>>55243700
Rat tribal of course
>>
>>55243720
Seriously? There's enough decent support for that?
>>
>>55243735
There's support for it but I'm not sure how good or competitive it would be.
>>
>>55243735
There's always this weird deck
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/473576#paper
>>
>>55243700
>Pack Rat
>a bunch of Relentless Rats
>a few madness cards for spice
>Immortal Servitude
>Ogre Slumlord
Deck practically builds itself
>>
>>55243799
Would it still be worth running in Mono Black Control?
>>
>>55243815
Yes absolutely.
Tbh Control is awful in Modern
>>
>>55243845
u/w control is literally tier 1
>>
Tiers are usage based nigger. The deck is popular because its good against Death's shadow.
>>
Haven't played all summer. How's affinity holding up?
>>
>>55245121
Its still T1 and can win on turn 3
I'd say its pretty good still.
Still pretty much folds to burn though
>>
>>55245013
Because enough people are using a deck to make it one of the most used decks in the format because it's awful, right guy?
>>
>>55243202
I afked for a bit. Visitor is great in a discard shell. Gatekeeper is amazing. Prowler blows unfortunately, hexmage is actually kind of strong in matches vs tron. Having it up in longer matchups means you can have it up and turn 3 they lose their planeswalker if they summon it, and you have mana later. It's not strictly better or worse than heroes downfall. Wicked akuba seems neat but a little risky. Not worth running imo.

Pack rat dank as fuck
>>
>players who just concede after the 3rd Thragtusk Reanimation
I have the decency to let them play through their UWx shitpile why can't they do me the same? >:^(
>>
>>55244152
It's literally not.http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/tier-1-modern

Also, tier doesn't necessarily correlate with overall win percentage vs the meta equilibrium.
>>
>>55245189
What exactly is the t3 win hand? double cranial plating, mox, signal pest and memnites with 2 lands?
>>
>>55246232
Anything involving t2 plating+equip swing with a dude t3 second plating+swing with either 6 artifacts on turn 2 (7 with second Plating) or 5 artifacts on turn 2, 6 on turn 3 + Galvanic Blast. There are probably some turn 1 Overseer + lots of 0-drops and Galvanic Blasts/Platings combinations that I can't be bothered to figure out as well.
>>
>>55245886
>Reanimating thrag-daddy
>not scooping when I have bridge, Lantern and 2 mill rocks
Alright, I guess we do this the hard way.
>>
>>55246194
It's literally third on that page you blind idiot
>>
>>55233428
Bauble isn't really good in the deck right now, the version that ran bauble was better back when Infect/Dredge were running amok and we needed the extra speed. Crucible is pretty great as a one of since you can punish manabases and force shuffles with quarters and eventually strip mine them out, as well as having utility with Inventor's fair for a tutor every turn late game. Not to mention it can break the mirror. Maindeck leyline is a meta choice and can potentially be very good or very bad, generally it doesn't get stuck in hand since those builds almost always run 4 collective brutality to pitch extra ones to get hellbent.
>>
>>55246399
So happy that Lantern Control is probably my best matchup since the deck I play does not give a single fuck about attacking or the top of my library.
feelsgoodman
>>
File: budget black.png (23KB, 341x703px) Image search: [Google]
budget black.png
23KB, 341x703px
How does this list look to start with?
>>
>>55243153
>WSZ over secure the wastes
Shaking my head family

t. Former Esper graw-go autist
>>
>>55246399
>implying I care about lantern when I run 3 maindeck Maelstrom Pulses and Abrupt Decays
Shiggity diggity fucking doo
>>
>>55246482
Run 4 Inquisition of Kozilek mainboard, they're like $3-4 bucks a pop and a signifigant improvement over despise.
>>
>>55241416
Anyone who's on the draw with a barely playable five and knows what the opponent is playing.
>>
>>55246583
$3-4? The LGS is selling them for $8-$12.
>>
File: twoo.jpg (13KB, 278x302px) Image search: [Google]
twoo.jpg
13KB, 278x302px
WELCOME IN

MUCH LOVE
>>
>>55246528
If I'm only going to run one win condition it has to be WSZ because the single Secure is too fragile. The shuffle has already saved my ass in two games, of the dozen or so that I've run with that list so far. If I had room for two Secure then obviously Secure becomes better, but I don't think the deck needs it.
>>
>>55246631
Don't buy from your scummy LGS then.
>>
File: scullymully.gif (966KB, 500x579px) Image search: [Google]
scullymully.gif
966KB, 500x579px
>>55246459
>>55246547
>my deck has a good matchup against 8x mainboard discard, mainboard surgical, and every drawstep of mine being fatesealed vs an opponent that gets to scry 4 every draw step.

Go on Timmy, tell us what shit-brew you run and how it beats every tiered deck at the shop that draws poorly.
>>
>>55246695
Yes, because Lantern totally gets to do all that by Turn 3.
Think again, bucko.
>>
>>55246547
>6 outs total that aren't diversified
>I-I'll just draw them all in a row
Enjoy gettting surgical'd friend, you do realize your chances of drawing in multiples even under a 2 mill rock lock is pretty low right? Post your deck I actually want to see it.
>>
>>55246732
Because you're killing Lantern by turn 3 with a deck that runs 3 Decay and Pulse right?
>>
>>55246795
Never lost to it on Xmage and I've played against it plenty.
In truth though, I haven't ever had to play against it in paper so that could be part of it.
It's an annoyingly good deck.
>>
>>55246660
Alright. Also, would Extirpate be worth running? And what kind of upgrades/color splashes would be good to look into for this deck down the line?
>>
4 Snapcaster mage
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
3 Ancestral Vision
4 Serum Visions
2 Electrolyze
1 Flame Slash
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Spell Pierce
1 Logic Knot
3 Cryptic Command
2 Spell Snare
2 Mana Leak
4 Blood Moon
1 Vedalken Shackles
1 Batterskull
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2 Cavern of Souls
1 Desolate Lighthouse
1 Sulfur Falls
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
8 Island
4 Mountain
Any changes?
>>
>>55246820
From my experience most of the Xmage Lantern players are either retarded, people just fucking around with the deck for fun or the occasional good player. Whenever I'm playing on Xmage with something that's not Lantern vs Lantern I find myself cringing at the mistakes every game, it's honestly kind of painful.
>>
File: Nostalgic Reanimator.png (814KB, 1462x620px) Image search: [Google]
Nostalgic Reanimator.png
814KB, 1462x620px
>>55246749
please be gentle when you ream my asshole senpai
>>
>>55246848
Why wouldn't you just run Surgical Extraction?
Also, blue is probably going to be your best color splash because, well, Dimir...
>>
>>55246887
surgicals cost 25 dollarydoos friendo
>>
>>55246876
Could be part of the reason then.
Regardless, doesn't matter much to me.
>>
>>55246898
C H I N A
M A N
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (47KB, 793x494px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
47KB, 793x494px
>>55246875
-60 bad blue moon carda
+60 cards that can top 8 a major event
>>
>>55232407
Modern is so shit nowadays I went 3-1 with saffronolive's shitty vampires deck at FNM.
Beat Affinity, Grixis DS and Eldrazi, lost to GR Tron.
>>
>>55246920
I was wanting to build that just because it looks stupid, fun and cheap.
Good to hear it can actually win I guess.
>>
>>55246915
Does the chink even have surgicals? Its been a long time since I took a look at the stuff he was printing.
>>
>>55246952
VZ does.
http://villazheng.imgur.com/
>>
>>55246920
>Modern is so shit nowadays, you either spend $1100 on a tier 1 deck or you just lose fuck this format
>suddenly meme deck
>Modern is so shit nowadays I just beat three top tier decks with some shitty vampire tribal deck
>>
>>55246920
Now try to do it consistently. Also who the fuck still plays GR Tron?
>>
>>55246979
>tfw I bought Naya burn back when Khans first came out for like 300 bucks and haven't changed the deck at all since
Feels good man.
>>
>>55246482
>>55246848
you should have at least 2-4 pieces of graveyard interaction in the 75. nihil spellbomb and relic of progenitus are pretty good. grafdigger's cage is great.
i think if you want to hold up two swamps for an instant, shadow of doubt is better than dash hopes. but just tapping on your turn for a wrench mind is probably better than both of those.
extirpate is pretty good
white is a pretty good splash since it gives you lingering souls and path to exile, as well as solid sideboard stuff. pretty much any splash has its merits tho.

>>55246875
2 caverns maindeck seems very suspect. also i want this deck to have vendilion clique
>>
>>55246875
Does Blue Moon normally run Cavern on Human?
>>
>>55247120
I wanted to try caverns because both my dudes are humans as >>55247137 said, I'll try clique though.
>>
is this the best card from ixalan?
>>
>>55247262
I say No it isn't, but it is pretty good in elves.
>>
File: t3_6y92i9.jpg (73KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
t3_6y92i9.jpg
73KB, 900x450px
>>55247262
>>
>>55247262
Might try this out in the side of mono-green stompy.
>>
>>55247299
Is this a new meme?
>>
>>55247299
>flying brain maggot
>good
yeah no
>>
>>55247120
Nihil looks nice. And I'm leaning towards BW for access to Souls, potentially Paths, and maybe Sun Titan; or BR for access to Bolt, Blightning (if it's good at all), and siding Rakdos Charm, maybe Alesha, and Anathemancer.
>>
>>55247413
Blightning is cool and all but Kholagan's command is better due to its crazy flexibility.
>>
Should I try this?
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-94-20-tix-modern-possibility-storm
If it try this, I am considering putting in Tibalt and some other ultra-powerful high-cost planeswalker. If anybody recommends this, which planeswalker?

>>55246920
Have you tried any other budget decks? Recommendations?

>>55247374
But anon, it doesn't die to Disenchant unlike Tidehollow and Maggot! :^)
>>
>>55247525
I know Kommand is better, but upgrading is a slow process, good cards are expensive, and decent not-as-good cards are very cheap.
What would each color get me?
>>
>>55247581
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-95-36-tix-modern-white-black-tokens
I've been doing pretty well with this deck on MTGO. I've added some inquisitions and sorins though
>>
What is the rudest possible 4 drop in BR that I can use to beat up bad players at FNM? Already using Mogis.
>>
>>55247973
probably TKS
>>
>>55247973
Kalitas probably.
But if you're playing straight BR, you're probably a bad player too.
>>
>>55233970
>my closest lgs is 120km away
All around me are familiar faces...
>>
>>55247330
Ugh I get tons of shit for my mono green stompy build because I run that awful 5/4 snake token and reworked the curve on it. Running this bitch for sure.
>>
>>55247973
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?page=19&color=+@(%5BB%5D%7C%5BR%5D)&format=%5B%22Modern%22%5D&sort=cmc+

Get creative, I guess.
>>
>>55233679
>he technically beat me but I didn't say anything
Look I get it, that guy sounds fucking disgusting and was probably sucking the fun out of the game by even being at the event, but no matter how fucking stupid the opponent is you probably shouldn't sink to the level of winning based on other players' ignorance. You're better than those assholes. Start acting like it.
>>
>>55233679
>I brung Burn
Holy shit, this is peak burnposting
>>
>>55247024
Is naya still worth? I see a lot of people just running Boros right now. Is there some sort of stream-lining trend or is nacatl just not worth mainboarding anymore?
>>
>>55232407
Is Knightfall a worthwhile Deck to build or it simply isn't showing enough results as a competitive Deck?
>>
File: Siren+Stormtamer+%5BXLN%5D.jpg (46KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Siren+Stormtamer+%5BXLN%5D.jpg
46KB, 223x311px
MODERN PLAYERS PLEASE BUY NEW PRODUCT
>>
>>55233188
It still exist as shadow. 75% of the damn cards are the same.
>>
>>55248594
Yes, and Death's Shadow is just as braindead.
>>
>>55248574
>siren
>not merfolk
Pass.
>>
>>55248574
This is worse than Mausoleum Wanderer.
>U to counter
What a joke.
>>
>>55247296
After the opponents side in all their sweepers? I doubt it.
>>
>>55248574
All these barely-modern playable cards are kinda cool. Shows that they're trying at least.

This set will be much cooler than HoD. HoD was fucking boring and the cards all suck.
>>
File: Death's Shadow.full.jpg (43KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Death's Shadow.full.jpg
43KB, 312x445px
DSJ is better than GDS.
>>
File: 1495550799148.jpg (27KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
1495550799148.jpg
27KB, 268x268px
>>55247581
Ugin. There really isn't a better option

>>55249706
>A deck which puts up objectively worse results is better than its competitor which consistently performs better than it.
/tg/ logic
>>
File: 1490499903952.png (247KB, 574x272px) Image search: [Google]
1490499903952.png
247KB, 574x272px
>>55249706
Uh, no sweetie.
>>
>>55249748

DSJ
>more fun to play
>proactive instead of reactive
>comfy

GDS
>better results
>delve threats that die to dismember and terminate
>???

>>55249826

Jund will never die
>>
Quick, how many islands and how many fetches to support Shackles?
>>
File: 100%.png (227KB, 1504x896px) Image search: [Google]
100%.png
227KB, 1504x896px
>>55250281
forgot pic, there's no way tappedout would lie to me, right?
>>
>>55247262
Does this card stack in multiples? If so, I'll just build a GW deck with a bunch of hard to kill/value creatures. voice,kitchen finks,renegade rallier,etc.
>>
>>55250331
yeah it does, would trigger once per sanctuary you have out.
>>
File: Fucking YES.jpg (35KB, 282x331px) Image search: [Google]
Fucking YES.jpg
35KB, 282x331px
>>55246878
>reanimating Siege Rhino and Thragtusk
>>
>>55248293
I actually lied, I bought the deck when DTK came out, not Khans, and I've been fooling around with spicy 1ofs every other month or so. Nerds are all about Boros because it had a better match up against Naya, but Atarka's Command has won me more games than I can count.
Naya gets turn 3 wins more often than Boros does, and I'm very impatient and like to live life fast.
>>
>>55250430
>reanimating Resto Angel to flicker the Thragtusk you reanimated the previous turn
Its literally like I'm back in 2013
>>
>tfw just got my playset of ravnica bobs yesterday
>>
>>55246399
>>55245886
Just keep playing to look at your opponent cards even if there's nothing you can do, retards.
>>
>>55247299
Im a bit salty that wizards changed the wording on new "remove something until leaves battlefield" cards. Who doesn't like stack shenanigans?
>>
File: 1465677248772.png (221KB, 500x415px) Image search: [Google]
1465677248772.png
221KB, 500x415px
I'm going to finish Eldrazi Tron soon and I'm thinking about the next shit I'll build

I have cards around for:

Knightfall
Merfolk
Affinity
Grixis Delver

I need to buy around 100€ worth of cards for each one, if someone has played these I'd like to hear your thoughts
>>
>>55252782
Affinity is the deck that makes you money if you grind FNM with it.

I don't even have a complete affinity list but I always make at least $15 each week. I've used that deck to fund the hobby essentially.

It's not very fun though.

I'm a shitter making a BR control deck though, so why listen to me?
>>
I feel like I'm the last person on the Ad Naus grind
Feels bad knowing that my deck will literally NEVER get any new cards
>>
>>55252851

It's a lot of combat math, right? At least isn't as linear as scapeshift
>>
>>55253133
It's just gambling on whether your opponent has removal. Requires you to know your opponents deck and play around his answers. The trickiest thing is just whether you swing with steel overseer or use his ability in my opinion

Also, does anyone know of any 1 or 2 drop black enchantments that are at least passably playable? Preferably of the curse variety
>>
>>55253188

have fun https://scryfall.com/search?q=t%3Aenchantment+c%3Ab+cmc%3C3+f%3Amodern&order=usd
>>
>>55253200
Can't believe I forgot about Bitterblossom
>>
File: Screenshot_20170906-082640.jpg (678KB, 1440x1971px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170906-082640.jpg
678KB, 1440x1971px
Been playing an incomplete Naya Burn list that somewhat falls short sometimes and my GR Ponza deck.

Recently checked out a Ponza build went 5-0 in MTGO and to my surprise that version was choke full of creatures and ditched the bonfires and such.

Kinda want to build that version now because it looks really full of value. 4 Trackers and 4 Huntmasters look really intimidating.

Im unsure about the 2 maindeck crumble to dust i guess its for Tron but my meta in my LGS has no tron so maybe i can change that one to something else then.

I also feel kinda naked with no beast withins and bonfire which were pretty good pseudo removal that could save your ass in some matchups.
>>
>>55253366

crumble to dust is not only against tron

imagine hitting a colonnade with it

or one of the few red sources on GDS

or darksteel citadel

etc
>>
>>55246878
>No lingering souls
Well look at that
>>
Opt reprinted in Ixalan. Will it be modern playable? Seems pretty good with all the UW control going on
>>
>>55253588
It's pretty much just a worse Preordain.
Why can't they just fucking unban it?
>>
>>55253588
Probably replaces Serum Visions in all the decks that keep up interaction, so uw cuntroll and GDS. Sleight of Hand and Serum are still better in combo due to showing you more cards.
>>
>>55253588
Probably better in snapcaster decks like U/W

>>55253955
this
>>
>>55253588
>Planeswalkers gain Legendary
>Opt is now Modern Legal
>just built UW Control and had a blast in the last 2 FNMs
Did I just find joy in this hobby?
>>
>>55254256
I love the U/W Spreading Seas control deck. It actually feels legitimate unlike all the Jeskai memes I've been forcing all these years. Also if you aren't playing Gideon of the Trials, you really should be. He's a god

>Playing against Ad Nauseam
>play Gideon turn 3
>make emblem
>opponent scoops

I can't wait until I can have Gideon of the Trials on board at the same time as Gideon Jura jesus christ
>>
>>55253588
What is Opt again?
>>
>>55254346
Scry 1, draw.
>>
>>55253692
Storm.
>>
>>55254479
You forgot the sweet part
>Instant
>>
I seem to have accidentally created a vampire tribal deck

Is there a vampire lord worth a damn?
>>
>>55253692
Preordain is actually too good.
>>
>>55254326
>not knowing how to play against gideon as ad nauseam
>conceding on the spot
And people say this deck takes no skill.
>>
>>55254742
What would have been your game plan
>>
>>55254725
Stromkirk Captain seems alright. Some of your dudes probably have deathtouch so granting first strike is pretty lulzy.
>>
>>55254797
Get unlife out, then ad nauseam on your end step when I have enough protection and lightning storm gideon. Then grace on upkeep and laboratory maniac into serum visions.
>>
File: 11083.jpg (14KB, 249x349px) Image search: [Google]
11083.jpg
14KB, 249x349px
>>
File: Opt.jpg (15KB, 249x349px) Image search: [Google]
Opt.jpg
15KB, 249x349px
>>55254479
Oh. I thought "Opt" was shorthand for something, but the card's name is literally "Opt".

>>55254725
Vampire Nocturnus
>>
>>55254876
Could probably work assuming you have enough Pacts left to protect it
>>
>>55254857
hm, that might be board worthy.I'm currently using 4x bloodghast, 3x asylum visitor, 2x vampire nighthawk, and 3x kalitas, traitor of ghet
>>
>>55254914
If ad nauseam resolves, we almost certainly do.
>>
>>55254879
>>55254898
better than serum visions
>>
>>55254734
You're thinking of Ponder.
Preordain is powerful but we should have powerful cantrips in Modern.
>>
first time going to a FNM. I haven't played with people outside kitchen counter since mirrodin 2: galvanic boogaloo.
Opinions on this deck? http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/br-gib-artifact-pls/
>>
>>55256081
I mean, it probably isn't going to win.
Just looks like a slightly upgraded Standard deck to me.
>>
>>55256253
I take it back, I really can't see it winning at all.
Modern is a turn 3.5 format.
What turn is that deck trying to win by?
>>
>>55232407
The last time I went to modern night my pet deck got stomped, so I'm building another deck. Right now, local meta is something like this:

1x infect player.
2x naya burn players.
1x titanshift player
1x spike who plays Ad Nauseum, Krark-clan Ironworks, Eldrazi Tron(with four mainboard chalices), lantern control, and Affinity
1x Dredge
1x Fish

I was looking around for ideas and found SaffronOlive's UW spirits deck( https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/479673#paper ); I ended up swapping snag for path and mixed up the sideboard for cards I already had.( http://docker2.deckedbuilder.com:3001/d/327045 )

Something with this much mainboard interaction should be good in this meta, right? Are there any important spells I might be missing on?

Here are the reasons I thought it would be good:

Spell Queller eats a lot of important spells, including Scapeshift, Ad Nauseum, thought-knot seer, phyrexian unlife, chalices on 1 and 2.

Unsubstantiate / Negate will really help against Tron and other decks that like to tap out.

Mausoleum Wanderer forces opponents to play off-curve and makes combos more difficult.

Drogskol/Rattlechains protect my spirits from removal, which is very important, especially in the case of Queller.

Kataki out of the side fucks up lantern and affinity, and ideally the deck can eat ensnaring bridges for days.
>>
>>55256309
>modern is a turn 3.5 format
>strongest 3 drops are blood moon and Liliana of the veil
This has always confused me
>>
>>55256366
Yeah, that is true.
Regardless, Modern is still known as turn 3.5
>>
>>55256081
You need more sideboard cards. Also, I'm pretty sure you straight-up lose to any tier deck.

It looks like a fun little casual deck, though.
I would recommend finding something to replace with bolt. Maybe the mummies and familiars.

If you wanted to play competitively, i'd recommend switching over to monored or naya burn. It has the same goal of dealing lots of direct damage, but does so in a much simpler manner.

Another idea is affinity, if winning by sacrificing robots to the cause is that appealing to you.
>>
>>55256438
thank you, I will look into Affinity.
the mummys and the familiars where just a thought I had for a way to exploit supernatural stamina's die and etb triggers. if there are better cards for that purpose, please name them, for I do not have much experience.
>>
>>55256366
Because death's shadow is a 1 mana spell.
>>
>>55256531
actually, you already have some parts to affinity in your deck- galvanic blasts. Aether grid is a sideboard card IIRC.

There are a ton of cards with better ETB triggers than the mummies and familiars. Most of them cost a lot more mana-wise, some of them money-wise. Not all of them are in your colors, though. Reflector mage is really cute.
Murderous Redcap fits into your deck really well, given that you can let him die and get the persist trigger, then cast supernatural on him the second time he dies and essentially give him another life.

Supernatural stamina isn't the best buildaround card though- you have no ways of reusing it and not all removal or combat will destroy your creatures.

I would recommend some better sacrifice outlets- viscera seer is a commonly used one, and Yahenni, Undying Partisan is just a pet favorite of mine.
>>
>>55256794
>turn 3
>Yahenni, Undying Partisan
>Eat Perilous myr
>use the damage to take down a creature
>yahenni is now 3/3
I understand why you like him
>>
>>55256995
He also protects himself.
>>
>>55248230
I didnt know until after i left the store when i looked up Banefire online and read it
>>
>>55257011
>he protec
>but he also atac
>>
>>55256354
I have some sideboard options.
>Blessed Alliance can help against Aggro, especially Infect since their only out is Spell Pierce, whereas targeted removal can be hexproof'd. Be wary of Skullcrack in Burn, though.
>Ceremonious Rejection is basically a 1-mana "Counter target Tron or Eldrazi spell." It's very useful.
>I don't know if Reprisal would work, but if your meta has Eldrazi and Titanshift it might not be a bad idea. Most of its targets are too big to trade with your dudes, anyways.
>Tormod's Crypt can help fight against Dredge without hurting your own graveyard.
>Azorious Charm, Hydrolash, Downpour, Niveous Wisps, and Feeling of Dread are cards that I've never tried, but they do look interesting against aggro.
>Spreading Seas to annoy Tron and Titanshift. Also helps turn off Cavern of Souls so you can get back to Mana Leaking.

Other options:
>Favorable Winds can help make your deck more aggressive and make your Mausoleum Wanderer even more menacing, but be wary of Ensnaring Bridge. Also keep in mind that your deck won't be as flexible with casting since you can't flash it in.
>Opt can be an instant option for Serum Visions once Ixalan comes out. I replaced the kithkin with Serum Visions since it was on sale.
>Add Vapor Snags back in. They may seem like a mere nuisance spell, but they do have the situational effect of being quasi-burn or to bounce one of your own creatures to save it or recast. It helped me bounce a Drogskol Captain to get around Ensnaring Bridge and replay it with flash.
>Midnight Haunting to put out surprise blockers and/or pump the Wanderer. It may not have flashback like Lingering Souls, but it is an Instant spell that you can play to avoid wasting a turn holding up a counter.
>>
>>55253406
Honestly I used lingering souls for a while but it always felt lackluster, which is fucking hilarious because I'm running fucking Drown in Filth.
>>
>>55257042
but he also snac

on your dudes because they're delicious and full of life energy

>>55257044

>Blessed Alliance

Is definitely a card worth considering.

>Ceremonious Rejection
I feel like it doesn't hit enough decks, but it's worth testing if the tron matchup proves really bad.

>Reprisal
Egh. I have path in the main, reprisal isn't really worth it.

>Crypt
Is already in the SB. I posted the decklist with my original post, but here it is again:
http://docker2.deckedbuilder.com:3001/d/327045

>Azorius Charm
Flexible, but it's not incredibly good IMO.

>Hydrolash
Overcosted and not very good.

>Downpour
I'd rather have normal removal.

>Wisps
See Downpour.

>Feeling
See Downpour.

>Spreading Seas

I thought about it. It not being an instant really hurts. I haven't seen many caverns in the area.

>Winds
It's playable. I don't think I can afford to remove anything for it, though.

>Opt / visions
See Winds.

>Snag vs Path
Path gets rid of a threat forever while Snag lets it come back next turn. While this can be relevant and there might not be a next turn for the other player, I prefer the flat-out exile removal. I'm also not sure what I'd remove for it. Removing Kithkin would remove part of my win condition.

>haunting

Seems good, but again, not sure what to remove. Has good synergy with Wanderer, though.

The deck doesn't seem to worry much about ensnaring bridge- most of the creatures are low-power and there's a metric ton of interaction in the main for stopping the bridge from resolving in the first place.
>>
File: test.png (64KB, 1506x865px) Image search: [Google]
test.png
64KB, 1506x865px
I want to start taking mtg a bit more seriously, I was wondering if here anyone takes notes of the match ups they do and the sideboarding they are doing for now I setup something like pic related but I think to change it to fit more matches against the same type of deck.
>>
>>55234998
Play Blue Steel. It's cheap and shits on anybody playing spells.
>>
>>55257236
>http://docker2.deckedbuilder.com:3001/d/327045
Had to copy and paste the link. Wasn't linkified for some reason.

The reason I list Downpour and Hydrolash is that they enable you to take care of a wide swing. There is probably a cheaper blue fog for Hydrolash, though.
Of course, you could try Supreme Verdict as a sweeper, but that seems too double-edged since Selfless Spirit is the only practical card that can make it one-sided. Of course all your creatures may already be dead, anyways, so it may not matter.

Maybe I'm playing it wrong.

If you want to be a troll, you could play Psionic Blast as a finisher. It's Timeshifted Modern legal.

The list I use is the same, except:
-4 Figure of Destiny
+4 Serum Visions
-3 Unsubstantiates
+1 Negate
+4 Vapor Snag
-1 Path because I haven't gotten the last for some reason.
22 Lands, with partially upgraded manabase. For some reason I don't suffer too much mana screw.

-2 Fragmentize
-1 RIP
-2 Azorious Herald
+2 Blessed Alliance
+2 Ceremonious Rejection
+1 Condemned (I have DS in my meta)

I should probably try Unsubstantiate.
>>
>>55248230
Faking out a player is totally fine.
In competitive you should never feel guilty for testing your opponents lnowledge of their own cards. People throw games to missed interactions all the time.
>>
>>55253366
Bonfires have really saved my butt, mostly against Eldrazi Tron, killing all his creatures even the ones equipped with basilisk were key to victory, I also sometimes had enough mana to kill him with the top deck. I've seen a list a week or two ago in one of these threads making a RGu Ponza using Supreme Will for reactive t2 plays when you can't LD their fetch/cast creature or moon, I also believe on tracker's power and I am planning on completing a set of him, I currently have 1 and I'm just waiting till Ixalan cuts his price down a little more.
>>
>>55257634
I have never had to play against death's shadow. Grixis control, yes, but not death's shadow.

I want to test the deck with figures- I feel like they might be a really important one-drop.

>psionic blast

That card's hilarious and strange. I like it.

I don't think the deck worries too much about blockers; the spot removal is there for threats and combo pieces. The entire deck has flying except for the kithkin, who does when he's fully upgraded.

Unsub just seems like good tempo, especially against scapeshift and tron. Hold up unsub and put their ugin back in their hand when you have a negate or another unsub(or both), and watch as they keep trying to cast the same card while you continually time walk them.
>>
>9chad on channel fireball
>>
>>55241311

LoI is pretty good. I run both depending on the meta. Solemn is worse if your opponent has a lot of sweepers like U/W/x, G/B/x, or Jund. Ticking down to make tokens can be relevant, I also like the fact buff tokens LoI makes stick around if he dies.

>>55241479

> Running Lightning Angel

My Nigga.
>>
I feel like this card is underrated
Has saved my ass multiple times
>>
>>55259397
I've seen it as SB tech for U/W control, what do you use it in?
>>
>>55259514
UW tokens SB for decks that outrace it like burn
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
>>55232407

Why do people like this card so much?

>2 mana 2/1 is fucking terrible

>sign in blood lets you draw 2 for 2 life.
>1 card = 1 life.
>this costs you more life almost all the time
>>
>>55232407
building me a coalition victory deck
they'll never see it coming
>>
>>55259765
BW* tokens
>>
>>55259844
>2 mana 2/1 is fucking terrible
Good thing there's words in that text box or him and Snapcaster would be shit huh?
>>
>>55259844
bait
>>
>>55259844
card advantage on a beater, next question
>>
>>55254256
Planeswalkers got legendary and lost their uniqueness rule.

So it means there can be more planeswalkers out.

Is this what you actually wanted?
>>
>>55256366
>it confuses me that modern is a turn 3.5 format when the best 3 drops are cards that snowball with the previous two you played to lock your opponent out of the game
>>
>>55256366
I thought the strongest three drop was Karn.
>>
I need some suggestions for a door to nothingness deck.
>>
>>55256366
no you dumb nigger, the strongest 3 drop is Rift Bolt, Lava Spike, Lava Spike, Lightning Bolt
>>
>>55261200
Suggestion: don't.
>>
>>55241311
>not running triple Elspeth
>>
>>55254725
Nocturnus
>>
>>55260345
as an UW Control player, how could i not?
>>
>>55260388
Assuming a t1 Inquisition/Thoughtseize, t2 kill spell, is your t3 better as bloodmoon or as liliana of the veil?
>>
>>55261472
Which PW are you even running where this will make a difference?
>>
>>55261532
Path into counter into Gideon of the teriyaki into wrath effect into Gideon Jura literally can't be beat by fair decks
>>
>>55261550
>Gideon of the teriyaki
Nani?
>>
File: capture9.png (2KB, 284x88px) Image search: [Google]
capture9.png
2KB, 284x88px
How is this even calculated?
>>
>>55261577
>He doesn't use Japanese Gideons for maximum husbando
>>
>>55261735
I don't know. I got 100% on my mono-green stompy deck and only 78% on my Tron list.
>>
>>55261735
Throwing it out there, maybe by the % of card played overall in their database?
>>
>>55261735
It means you are running a few spicy cards that haven't been given the Reddit Competitive Magicâ„¢ Seal of Approvalâ„¢
>>
>>55232407
Bob is actually better then he normally is because people are less interactive now

It's just that Jund-strategy isn't that good now
>>
File: 1491973370217.jpg (212KB, 394x463px) Image search: [Google]
1491973370217.jpg
212KB, 394x463px
Dead thread.
>>
>>55232407
What is the best replacement for Cryptic Command in an esper draw-go deck?

>inb4 no replacement, just too good

Also, is there any decent writeup on how to sideboard different colors against different matchups?
>>
Hey guys I went 4-0 at my LGS's Modern Wednesday with Bant Spirits! Here's how it went.

>R1 2-0 vs Mill
His deck was pretty unoptimized and he didn't hit stuff he needed, so casual beats got there.
>R2 2-1 vs GW Value Company
Pretty close game, but hot damn Nebelgast Herald and Moorland Haunt are insane cards in this deck.
>R3 2-1 vs eTron
Again it was close, and he arguably should've won. His last turn I was sat on a Unified Will with just 1 more creature than him and had to hit his Batterskull. If he'd played his cards in any other order I'd have lost, if he'd fired off his Ballista for 3 on my Queller immediately I'd have lost. But he waited and passed turn, I drew my Township and played it, he realised that he dun goofed.
>R4 2-1 vs Jeskai Midrange
Super tight G3, had him down to 1 life for the longest time but his 2/3 Quellers outsized my Kira and Rattlechains. I held onto a Company for ages as my only card hoping he'd tap out, eventually I had to fire it off but expected a counter, none came, I hit Geist and Nebelgast to tap his Quellers down and suddenly had 5 lethal creatures, he scooped it up.

I like to think that consistent luck is just skill. Thanks for reading, blog!
>>
>>55264484
I'm waiting till Ixalan hits to get the rest of the spirits I need, what's your list?
>>
>>55264498
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=16453&d=301676&f=MO

Pretty much this except I swapped a Breeding Pool, Cavern, and Canopy for 2 Moorland Haunt and a Gavony Township. Holy fuck Moorland Haunt is stupid when it's good. I'm definitely gonna be sideboarding more Nebelgasts in the future too, it straight up pounded the GW player's asshole.
>>
>>55264484
Does Nebelgast Herald work in UW Spirits, or does it only work well dipped in CoCo? I would probably perfer Azorius Herald in theory anyways because lifegain is more versatile for me and it has full evasion, but it does sound like fun prematurely tapping out your opponent's mana dorks or beaters.
As for Unified Will, I imagine that requires either going with more creature producers (Lingering Souls) or by actually going Bant CoCo, so it's not going to work in UW unless I change up disruption and lose my competitive advantage.
Also why no Azorius Herald, Kataki, or Kami of Ancient Law? They seem to work well with CoCo.
>>
>>55264606
It took until round 4 for me to cast my first Company, and Herald had won me multiple games before then. Having two of them down felt dirty honestly. Dropping a Rattlechains, tapping down the big blockers so Geist can swing in. It doesn't sound like a lot, but because so few things can block your creatures in the first place, tapping down those few blockers is a big deal. Or just tapping down their biggest body.
>>
>>55264404
>What is the best replacement for Cryptic Command in an esper draw-go deck?
You can try to run Dissolve instead but Cryptic is one of the cards that actually makes the deck work. Without it you'll lose to random noncreature permanents resolving, you won't be able to grind as well mid game, and you won't be able to buy time against swarm decks to find your Verdict.
>>
>>55264484
>I like to think that consistent luck is just skill.
imhbo fortune favors thw fool
t. lucker
>>
Taking this to modern FNM this week.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-03-17-11/

I took a similar version to the local PTQ a couple weeks ago, went 2-3 but 2 of those losses were very close, like within 1-2 turns on game 3, and one of those were because of just me playing bad.

Anyone got any good SB suggestions? Need to fill it out.
>>
>>55264720
Fug

I'm gonna hope it gets a reprint in Iconic Masters
>>
>>55264785
What does Falconer do for the deck? Is it played just to push things through in a locked board? You need more removal IMO, and Abrupt Decay would probably be pretty good. Maybe up the number of Dranas. Just up removal on the SB, and bow doesn't seem the best.
>>
>>55264850

Yeah Falconer is there just to let the allies swing over top of most things. By the time it gets out I usually have 2 or 3 on board, and they're usually 4-6ish power each.

I have another Drana, but I took the 2nd one out on a friend's recommendation that it was too slow.
>>
>>55264898
The thing about Drana is that she radically accelerates your combat damage, especially if you have Scales on board. She does only attack on turn 4, which is sorta slow in your deck. How much are you hitting for by then?
>>
>>55265012

Depends on if I hit CoCo, as I can use it during combat for extra reach with the Allies' ETB effects. Without Coco it's usually something like 5-6ish combined power swinging on 4
>>
I've seen Ashiok show up in control lists every once in a while. Is it just for creature heavier GB/x and Coco decks?

Seems like its a bit "win more" against those midrangey decks.
>>
>>55265350
>Is it just for creature heavier GB/x and Coco decks?
Pretty much, although Ashiok is decent in control mirrors, too. I think it's better to have Elspeth or Gideon though because then you don't have to play around Abrupt Decay and they can actually stabilize you on board the turn they drop.
>>
>>55265350
Ashiok is always good in Modern regardless of matchup

Control decks usually run snapcaster, she gets you free snaps, and can even mill in an autist mirror

Against combo decks she threatens to get exile their lightning storm
>>
File: 1482466882881.jpg (194KB, 1920x1120px) Image search: [Google]
1482466882881.jpg
194KB, 1920x1120px
>>55265490
>She
>>
>>55265555
What the fuck is Ashiok anyways? How did it get a spark? Is it native to Theros?
>>
File: lel.png (7KB, 249x212px) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
7KB, 249x212px
Second time someone has said this about my D&T deck. I think they don't like it because they're the ones being cucked.

Anyway, just got rid of his threats from hand/board with Paths and Scullers, and he flips the chess board and calls me a cuck.

Honestly more annoyed that the word itself has become a meme than I am about playing against the occasional toddler.
>>
>>55265649
>your deck is cucky
First time I've heard that. I think cuck is becoming the new faggot.
>>
>>55248623
I mean I don't like DS either but managing your life total properly probably isn't braindead
>>
>>55265649
join all his games until he quits modo
>>
>>55265701
Lol, might do that if I see him online.

But seriously, Scullers are nowhere near as obnoxious as Thoughtseize or Inquisition. You can get the card back. And sideboarding is one of the best parts of Magic. Why wouldn't you want to adapt to your opponent? I just don't get that mentality. It's like getting mad at someone because they wouldn't give you your dopamine without a fight
>>
>>55265698
Never met a DS player that can actually do it.
I've won numerous games because they were off by 1 and let me untap to kill them with a bolt.
>>
>>55265649
Given that nearly all Magic Online players came from paper, and therefore had to adhere to some behavioral rules, it makes me the most sad that people are pieces of shit online in Magic most of all. There is no precedent for it besides how people behave in other video games.

The word doesn't matter as much to me as the abrasive behavior. Shitty people will use whatever language is available to them. I'm just most hurt that there are people in real life playing with paper could be thinking you're a faggot because you played some "cuck" deck. Like, to be offended over deck choice, what kind of asshole is that?
>>
File: Lantern.png (37KB, 273x201px) Image search: [Google]
Lantern.png
37KB, 273x201px
People REALLY hate playing against Lantern on Xmage, for some reason.

>>55249826
Who the hell is that
>>
File: harmed.gif (2MB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
harmed.gif
2MB, 500x370px
>>55265735
>You can get the card back.
not if you kill his guy with a wasteland strangler
>>
>>55257421
Blue Steel?
>>
>>55265851
What's the cheapest way to build lantern? It looks fun.
>>
>>55265851
>using a casual mtgo simulator revolving around stupid shit that you wouldnt otherwise play online because it would cost you money and playing the most cancerous uninteractive braindead deck in existence.

Come on, people play xmage to play stupid decks in competitive formats or have fun with commander and draft. Playing Lantern in xMage is the most ban worthy thing to do because you arent even practicing the deck because you are most likely not playing against a competitive deck.
>>
So is the looter scooter seeing modern play now? It's $2 for some reason.
>>
>>55266168
Possible Ixalan unbanning now that the retarded sets are finally rotating out and the meta is shifting
>>
>>55266126
Budget lantern isn't that good, it very much relies on the pieces all together, so at the very least you're looking at 200-300 bucks for opals and bridges.

>>55266142
I'm mostly using it for practice, and that's bullshit. That guy in the picture was playing thopters, before that it was mostly Abzan midrange, coco shit, and Tron. Fuck, I faced 5 affinity in a row earlier.

People on Xmage can be as competitive as anyone else. There's plenty of good playtesting there.
>>
>>55266187
We've never had a standard unbanning. Why are people speculating on one now?
>>
>>55266273
Because we had a retarded Standard Banning so a retarded Standard UnBanning is not entirely out of the table, considering that theres plenty of answers to things like Marvel and Copter now ( Abrade / Sorcerous Spyglass / Spell Pierce )
>>
>>55266089
You mean, Magnum?

http://www.numotgaming.com/blue-steel-modern-deck-primer/

It's fun. I played around with a budget build on Modo, and had some success. I haven't played the full version, but it seems decent. Sort of a jack of all trades deck that can do a lot of different things.
>>
>>55266048
>unconditional discard vs conditional discard
Will admit Stranglers are one of the most satisfying parts of the deck though
>>
>>55266362
There nothing more satisfying than taking someones Ancetral Visions with a Strangler and destroying one of their creatures with it.
>>
>>55266142
ranked matches are generally pretty serious.
>>
>>55266416
staring him dead in the eye while you put the wasteland strangler and a lotus bloom into the graveyard
>>
File: 27658_200w.jpg (28KB, 200x285px)
27658_200w.jpg
28KB, 200x285px
>>55232407
>fallen from grace
Maybe it's just my LGS, but there are a number of planeswalkers that are supposedly played in modern but that I haven't seen in a long while.
>>
>>55266720
Elspeth is what, mostly Sun and Moon now? Look that up, pretty powerful Modern Prison. Probably second after Lantern, or even better than Lantern.
>>
I missed out on Tarkir block. How many fetches does a box of FRF have on average?
>>
>>55267175
Jack shit. 1 in every 21 packs or something. Just buy singles you cuck.
>>
File: we just don't know.gif (998KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
we just don't know.gif
998KB, 250x251px
>>55265562
>>
Is saccing Bloodghasts to my Kalitas too cute?
>>
>>55268223
Have Blood Funnel in your deck. Play Harmless Offering and sac your Bloodghast and lock your Storm opponent out of the game with the Blood Funnel.
>>
>>55268300
>losing to storm
>And it's not due to your lands
>ever
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.