[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, /tg/, I need some tips. Some mates and I are gonna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7078.jpg (384KB, 1200x1471px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7078.jpg
384KB, 1200x1471px
Alright, /tg/, I need some tips.

Some mates and I are gonna play D&D for the first time ever (5e, and we're going off the premade books; we're gonna try Hoard of the Dragon Queen, followed by Rise of Tiamat if we like it). My group and I have minimal experience with TTRPGs (a couple of my mates have none), and I don't think any of us have played D&D. I'm the DM.

Can any of you guys give me some advice about how we should go about this? I've read the DMG, but I'm still a noob, and I want to make sure that I'm a good DM and that we have fun. Beginner advice in general would be great, whether it's for me as a DM or for all of us players in general.
>>
>>55229029

Try not playing DND.

>sorry, had to do it

Involve players' inputs. Yeah, even in premade adventures. Ask the dwarf that battled the orcs about them. Ask them even frivolous things, who does the cooking?

Be ready to improvise. And yes, you will fail ai it, everyone did, it's the only way to be better.

For a game as complex as DND another player reading the rulebooks is a VERY good idea. And be ready to correct yourself, it's only natural.

Try to think more about describing shit than just rolling dice. Not necessarily big dramatic encounters, even a nice description of a monster is a good thing - use alla of the five senses, tough we know how it looks like, how does a kobold smell?
>>
File: BBEG visits tg.jpg (157KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
BBEG visits tg.jpg
157KB, 960x720px
>>55229029
>D&D
>>
>>55229396
>sorry, had to do it

No, you really didn't.
>>
I'll give you advice for Hoard of the Dragon Queen. Keep in mind that there are a bunch of references to mechanics that were in the 5e playtest that didn't make it into the final product. It also has a number of other problems both in writing and in mechanics. It would benefit you to read the module in advance and do research online to identify and fix the problems. I really liked what Tyranny of Dragons was going for, but there is a good reason why HotDQ and RoT are considered the worst of the 5e published modules.

I would especially recommend changing the beginning of the module. The starting city is being attacked by a dragon. The module expects the group to fight it, but the dragon fucks off after it takes a little bit of damage. The players will not know this and will likely just want to flee the area.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.