[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been making DIY boardgame, but I need some help with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: jora.jpg (283KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
jora.jpg
283KB, 700x990px
I've been making DIY boardgame, but I need some help with few things.

It's hexagonal boardgame, where you open up tiles as a map, farm land and mine mountains, build walls to keep opponents out, build smith and such buildings to do various things, like create weapons to make soldiers.

I'm just not sure what should be the win condition. I originally was thinking about just elimination of other players, but the problem with that is, that you might end up in situation where one player is out way too early. Second idea was about making the king, which required certain conditions, like having enough men and buildings like library etc. to actually make on and win like that on the spot. But it has it's own set of issues and thematical boringness.

Also the big issue is game variance. The game desperately needs a mechanic to break each individual games into different slightly different ones. One idea I had was having a library to be able to buy yourself special cards that gives you certain bonuses, like farming gives more food etc.

TLDR I need a wincon and game variance to my game, what do?

Also, anyone else done DIY games here?
>>
You could make it score based, possibly with a hidden scoring goal (i.e. your player draws a card at the beginning that tells him what gives him score, what goals he has, etc.).
>>
>>55225222
Yes, that's one idea, but not sure what should be the end condition.
>>
>>55225347
Time, just have it be a "who scores most in 5 years" thing.

Could pull an Armello with the end being "when the king dies" but it's possible to assassinate him to force it earlier. Especially fun with hidden points if you think you are winning, but your assassination actually gives the victory to another player.
>>
>>55226346
Hmm, that makes me think. If the goal is to just achieve a set number of points and king gives you some points every round, which accelerates your chance to win fast. That way, there is a reason for players to plan on making the king as well as attacking other players.

Also, not sure if I want to implement fantasy or not. Bonus would be, that I could add light fantasy and have random encounters with monsters on map to either give bonus to player who beats them or add havoc. Don't like the idea of having wizards or such tho, but there has to be something to make the variance.
>>
>>55225133
For variance, a lot of games have a deck of event cards that come up every turn/every x turns. It sounds like things like natural disasters, barbarian invaders, good harvests, etc. could work for your game. Mix in both good and bad conditions that affect all players.

In terms of keeping people from getting out too early, the hidden win conditions suggested above can help with that. Additionally, assuming this is a free for all game, giving some sort of defenders advantage that makes it hard to do critical damage to someone, but much easier to do damage to hinder or weaken then, will prevent people from going in for the kill. Anyone who commits super hard is going to get stabbed in the back by someone else.
>>
>>55228482
Currently I have set it so, that you can build a wall in between of hexagons somewhat easy, that only you can pass, unless you have siege weaponry. So the game is a lot about building walls, claiming area and trying to manage your food supply/manpower.
>>
>>55228482
Also, to the shame, more I think about it, it's impossible to make hidden win conditions. This game revolves a lot around building certain buildings in very limited playing area, that there isn't a lot to actually have as different win conditions. Event deck might be a good idea though.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.