[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you halflings still have a place in modern fantasy RPG settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Halfling_PHB5e.jpg (113KB, 601x800px) Image search: [Google]
Halfling_PHB5e.jpg
113KB, 601x800px
Do you halflings still have a place in modern fantasy RPG settings or are they by this point just a throwback to D&D nobody dares to be the first one to firmly shake off and be done with?
>>
>>55220618
Mechanically, at least, they do
>>
>>55220618
I generally play it where Dorfs, Halflings and Gnomes are just different ethnic groups of Dwarves.
>>
>>55220618
>a throwback to D&D nobody dares to be the first one to firmly shake off and be done with
Are they even a thing anywhere but D&D these days? People have been making fantasy settings without halflings for decades.
>>
>>55220878
People also have made a lot of settings with halflings but no Talkienesque elves or dwarves. By your logic, elves and dwarves are not a good fit in contemporary fantasy settings.
Yes, let's make a setting with only humans. May be some dragons, fae, and giants - all at the point of extinction and not showing up most of the time.
>>
>>55220943
>People also have made a lot of settings with halflings but no Talkienesque elves or dwarves
Like?
>>
>>55220972
Most fantasy settings featuring halflings. They also feature elves and dwarfs but these are almost never depicted the way Tolkien did them. Nowadays, the default picture of an "elf" (if you make an elf themed shitpost on /tg/, for example, and unless you explicitly say otherwise) is based more on "flanderization" of D&D elves than anything else.
>>
>>55221040
I think you failed this one.
>>
>>55221107
D&D elves and dwarfs have virtually nothing to do with Tolkien beyond the name and that dwarfs have beards.
>>
they are the rogue race
gnomes are the wizard race

thats pretty much it
>>
>>55220972
Willow and Lorwyn spring to mind, although in Lorwyn they were called kithkin. Basically halflings in everything but the name, though.
>>
>>55220618
yes
they are a trap choice
every player who choses to play a halfling is trouble. Be it permathieving rogue or superspecuhlsnowflake halfling paladin, its always the preferred race for troublemakers(apart from half drow quarter dragon 1/32 native mongrelfolk dudes)
>>
File: 1498887007780.jpg (658KB, 2040x3160px) Image search: [Google]
1498887007780.jpg
658KB, 2040x3160px
>>55220618

I don't like Dwarves and Halflings.

I think its retarded to just declare that a race has noplace in modern settings.

I for one would use them as a slave race or in a symbiotic partnership with another race.

For example as artisans and craftsmen for orcs or ogres.

A parasitic concept might be interesting aswell.

Halflings living under the Elvish metroples scavenging for food and using the trash. Their dwarven cousins are even further down in the tunnels. Hardened, nearly feral and always tryaing to conquer the Halflings place. They are barely kept underground with Halfling innovations and fire...
>>
>>55221207
I made a halfling paladin in 4e once, but that was only so I could ride an ostrich as a mount and still fit through standard dungeon doors.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.