[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /tg/ think of Dresden Files/FATE? desu I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1504470751771.png (660KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1504470751771.png
660KB, 1024x1024px
What does /tg/ think of Dresden Files/FATE?
desu I don't read Dresden so I can't comment on the actual lore but I thought the game was fun. I maxed out Incite Emotion. Attacking someone in the Mental or Social hitpoints is such a weird concept lol
>>
Dresden is wet garbage steaming in a dumpster fire.
Fate is a little too narrative for my tastes but it's good for quick one-shots.
>>
Fate and its derivatives all suffer from the same shallow mechanical structure that fails to create interesting or tense situations. In the majority of cases, success is guaranteed, or at worst it comes with a minor cost. The game de-emphasizes immersion in favor of metagaming and "narrative play," which translates to stockpiling Fate points until you care about something enough to spend them on. Even the dice rolling system is yawn-inducing: the four Fudge dice even out to a nice, flat zero on your rolls because the potential for extraordinary success and failure are too interesting for Fate players. No, the entire SJW hugbox relies on ALWAYS SUCCEED ALL THE TIME because rainbow-haired, problem glasses-wearing hipsters are easily triggered if they fail a roll (it reminds them of their own personal failings).

Once the novelty of the game has worn off, the system turns into a perpetual churn of the same boring skill spam: Create an Advantage, Create an Advantage, Create an Advantage, okay we've stacked up enough bonuses that we easily succeed, roll 4dF, get a +0, oh look, we have a +10 total YAY WE WIN. Zero challenge. If you really want to speed things up, just throw down some Fate points and flimsy Aspect justifications and you win the game. Forever. That was fun and rewarding, wasn't it?

Compare this to D&D's rich system of mechanics, where the d20 roll provides drama and tension by itself because you could just as easily roll a 1 or roll a 20. On top of that, you have a diversity of spells, combat options, and mechanical interactions that sends the typical brainlet Fatefag scrambling to his rules-lite safe space.

Fate's mechanics are garbage, but Fate players themselves are the worst part of the system. Give me some beer, a bowl of pretzels, and a handful of seasoned dungeon crawlers any day of the week.
>>
Clever is even more useful in it than other FAE variants, which is kinda bullshit.
>>
>>55220155
Dresden Files is pulp trash and I say that in the nicest of ways. I love Dresden files, but it is the McDonalds of literature.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.