[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let me tell you what grinds my gears, >New guy at the table.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1ebsjn.jpg (10KB, 274x274px) Image search: [Google]
1ebsjn.jpg
10KB, 274x274px
Let me tell you what grinds my gears,
>New guy at the table. Help make his character 2 days ago
>This guy has always wanted to play d&d but never found a consistent group
>feelsbadman.jpg, come on board. We don't have a whole lot of table room and even my 4 regulars can be rowdy, but fuck it
>Stats up a high elf rogue (arcane trickster) with a noble background. Rolled good except for a 4 and a 7, so naturally STR and CON respectively. Literally so weak that they're probably diseased in some way, but makes up for it with how dexterous, intelligent, and wise they are
>fucc ye dood, i love these kinds of characters, can't wait
>Getting late on a friday night, everyone's gotta work in the morning, so we agree to finish up the backstory stuff over the next day and a half before we have our sunday session at 1 pm
>saturday morning, email him a bunch of flavor shit, summary of whats been happening in the game, pose questions to him about his character, involve him in the world at large
>shows up on sunday having thought about none of it
>has read what i sent him, but literally has no answers about what his character's like, how he feels about the world at large, his personality, his flaws, etc etc etc.
>fine, you're new, whatever. Guess we'll hold everyone up while we finish your character
>"What are you character's political or social ideals?"
>"Like, fuck the system. Like total anarchy"
>literally came from a noble background and doesn't believe in government. Came into money from a bloodline and does not comprehend that government allowed him to have his current lifestyle
>thinks being a special snowflake excuses him from thinking about shit, even though intelligence is literally his highest stat
>compares his character to Rick Sanchez
>wew lad thanks for holding my sides for me
>okay fine, maybe he won't play it like shit
>>
>>55217348
(cont.)
>he played it like shit.
>fast forward to the party taking some hostile orcs hostage, tied up for interrogation
>Rick wants to cut off their limbs so they can't attack them
>"Dude, they're already subdued"
>Keeps doing shit like this
>Picks the most versatile skill junkie class in the entire game, has passive perception comparable to a druid, intelligence comparable to a wizard (and can cast spells), and shares the same sneak attack modifiers as the other rogue in the party
>Literally wants to solve all his problems with needless violence and sadism
>I've been diddled again: This cat fooled me with this "noble upbringing" bullshit; it was all a thin veil for a lone wolf special snowflake rogue elf who does shit cuz its sooooo funny XDDDDD
>mfw
>Keep having 10 minute arguments about if what he's doing is ethical; wants to be a CE murder hobo in a party of neutral/good characters, but argues that what he's doing is acceptable and in no way evil.
>"They're orcs!"
>Okay cool, dismembering helpless people is legit if it's prejudice dismemberment, got it Rick
>Makes literally no effort to understand the motivations of the characters around him.
>Keep in mind too, he's a level 8. He HAS to have made friends by now. He HAS to have made connections by now.
>Refuses to show emotion or thoughtfulness to literally anything

Incidentally, we're not inviting him back. This shit triggers me hard because Rogues are my favorite class in RPG's. There's so many interesting things you can do with that class, but the rookie mistake is always, ALWAYS to make the psychopath with a bow. Flat out told the guy, "Sorry man, I'm not running an evil game. Watching my players do actively vindictive shit for literally no reason isn't fun to me." He didn't get it.

How do people...just how
>>
>>55217348

Your opening picture told me what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. Not that the dude isn't a bad play or anything, but you're the turboest of autists.
>>
>>55217354
ALSO, he almost died literally 20 minutes into the game.
>at a local apothecary, hugeeeee place with lots of potions out front
>"Show me some of the weird stuff"
>"Sure thing, Rick Sanchez", says the halfling alchemist, "peep this shit cuz"
>Shows Rick a large vial of liquid
>"This makes bottomless holes in the ground!"
>expensive as fuck, even though he's a noble and has hella money, he doesn't want to spend it
>tries a persuasion check after casting Friends to let him hold onto the bottle
>fails
"Remember that you only have a minute before he knows that you cast a spell on him and gets pissed!"
>Puts the halfling to sleep so he can steal it
>The halfing is standing up, holding a glass bottle of unstable hole making juice
>and this muhfucka just put him to sleep
>halfling never got to tell him to only use a drop
>finds out the hard way when the vial shatters on the floor, and the floor gives out into a bottomless pit, swallowing the circumference of the whole entire shop

jeez
>>
>>55217513
>Calling someone autistic on /tg/
I mean shit, statistically

Anyways I'm obviously being hyperbolic. The whole ordeal wasn't THAT annoying.
>>
>>55217513
Kinda seconding this sentiment.
I'll elaborate:

>>55217348
>>55217354
>>shows up having thought about none of it
>>has no answers
>>Rick Sanchez
>>wants to cut off their limbs
>>wants to solve all his problems with needless violence and sadism
>argues that what he's doing is acceptable and in no way evil.
>He didn't get it.
The player was a CE dickbag, no question.
I agree with you not inviting him back.

However, you made some seriously wrong assumptions:
>>fine, you're new, whatever. Guess we'll hold everyone up while we finish your character
I am always against this.
Running the game slightly distracted as you help him make his character is better.

>>literally came from a noble background and doesn't believe in government. Came into money from a bloodline and does not comprehend that government allowed him to have his current lifestyle
>>thinks being a special snowflake excuses him from thinking about shit, even though intelligence is literally his highest stat
You are describing a wealthy, over-educated, under-experienced, preening twat.
These people actually exist.
At one point, a large chunk of the hippies were exactly like this.
If the character had been crafted like this intentionally, it could have been a great character to move through an arc where they learn how the world really works.

>>I've been diddled again: This cat fooled me with this "noble upbringing" bullshit; it was all a thin veil
You're overthinking this. The guy made and played a shit character.

>>Keep having 10 minute arguments about if what he's doing is ethical
NEVER DO THIS.
You are there to play the game, not argue over it.
Make a ruling, stick to it, move on.
If you later realize you screwed up the ruling, make up for it next session.

>>he's a level 8. He HAS to have made friends by now. He HAS to have made connections by now.
False assumptions.
Not all characters will conform to your expectations.
Nothing wrong with a loner whose only allies are the party.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.