[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I deal with a player who tries to hog the spotlight? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1447348912390.jpg (35KB, 387x461px) Image search: [Google]
1447348912390.jpg
35KB, 387x461px
How do I deal with a player who tries to hog the spotlight? I'm not sure why but it feels like he thinks he's the main character of the story and gets mad when other plays do things without him

>Gets mad when he takes any damage at all
>Goes through overly elaborate descriptions of his attacks which take 20 seconds on average and gets mad when they miss or don't kill the enemy
>Gets mad when other party members kill enemies instead of him. Literally accuses them of kill stealing and insists he was 'tanking' or 'softened it up for you'
>Insists on talking to all NPCs despite having low CHA
>Tries to find connections to his backstory in every quest they go on and gets mad when I tell him they're unrelated
>Backstory involves him being an ex king, master assassin, slayer of dragons, part demonic, orphan and widow all rolled into one
>Gets mad when he runs into traps without letting the rogue scout ahead and disarm them and complains I 'put them there on purpose'
>Constantly coming up with poorly thought out plans that don't make any sense and genuinely doesn't understand why the party doesn't want to go through with them
>Tries to command other players to do things in combat and claims they don't understand tactics when they choose to act differently

He's not a bad person outside of of D&D but in game he just acts like a complete dick. The other players are veterans with the game and so are content to hang back and not do everything. They're all in several other campaigns anyway so I think they just see this campaign as a bludge one. I've tried telling him that the story is supposed to be shared by everyone and he settles down for about half a session or so but then gets visibly frustrated when the other players decide to solve problems their own ways and makes passive aggressive remarks like 'That's not what I would have done' or 'Man this isn't going to work'.
>>
>>55206410
You pull him aside and tell him in no misapplied fashion that his nonsense ends, period.
Show him this thread, as these comprise all of your complaints.
Talk to the other players, get a full accounting of his misdeeds, itemize them, and put him to task. He gets 3 strikes, and then he's out, and he is already on strike 1.
OP, you need to show some guts and get a handle on your players, they will run roughshod on you IF YOU LET THEM. Stop being afraid of "ruining their fun" if they are ruining the fun of others.
>>
>>55206410

>Lots of legitimate complaints about how the hobby draws autists to it.

Feels anon.

>>55206604

Recommends what I would do. The whole points is for you and the whole groups to have fun.
>>
File: 1498721897737.gif (1MB, 640x325px) Image search: [Google]
1498721897737.gif
1MB, 640x325px
>>55206410

Talk to him about it, like adults do.
>>
>>55206410
I had a player just like this in almost the exact same circumstances as you. Here's what I did:

>Realize guy is ruining game for other players
>Tell him I'm ending the campaign because of scheduling issues but continuing it online instead from where we left off along with the same group
>He's a bit unsure at first but it fits better with his own schedule so he goes with it
>Continue campaign with other players in person and it immediately improves
>Meanwhile run him through other campaign with him controlling the "players" myself
>He swallows it hook line and sinker and gushes about how much more he enjoys the game now that everyone is suddenly going along with what he wants
>Barely make player characters act other than the occasional sentence to keep him from suspecting
>Puff up his ego and make his character become a hero, get his dick sucked, slay every monster, all that shit
>9 sessions in guy talks to one of the players he was formerly playing with in the rl game about the online campaign
>Other dude has no idea what he's talking about
>Guy realizes none of the other players were actually playing and that it's just been him and me the entire time
>He's steaming mad and demands to know why I tricked him
>I tell him that he was making the original campaign all about him anyway and that I just gave him what he wanted
>Talking him about the issue didn't work so I decided to take drastic measure
>He doesn't contact me for a week before messaging me and the others and apologizing and asking to be let back into the rl game
>We all decide to give him another chance and he rerolls a new character
>Is helpful to party, doesn't dominate decision making and lets everyone do cool stuff instead of doing it all himself

He's become one of my most enjoyable players to DM for since. He still doesn't like the trick I played on him but he admits that it worked.
>>
>>55206410

Remove him from the game.

Talk to him about how he is being a dick in the game.

If you are DM, then actively engage other players. If the guy tries to say something, then go "hold on, I'm asking X what they want to do"
>>
>>55206410
>I'm not sure why but it feels like he thinks he's the main character of the story
well there's almost always someone who gets to be the party face
>gets mad when other plays do things without him
yeah, nah, fuck him.
>>
>>55206410
Knife in the back.
Seriously thou. Stop giving bad players attention. Ignore bad behavior. The more you divert attention to them the more validated their actions appear to them. And the more time is wasted for childish little shits.
>>
>>55206410
Tell him to stop being a fucking manchild
>>
>>55206410
Bugs...
You could use some more carrots, you're looking a bit gaunt.
>>
>>55206410
>complains I 'put them there on purpose'
I mean you did.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.