[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about heraldry. How do you apply it to fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: 7333778640_e87a0a05d5_z.jpg (81KB, 596x578px) Image search: [Google]
7333778640_e87a0a05d5_z.jpg
81KB, 596x578px
Let's talk about heraldry. How do you apply it to fantasy settings? What are the rules for making one? How different should it be among the different kingdoms?
>>
>>55202401
heraldry is cool and all but if you want to apply it to fantasy you're looking at a lot of freedom. Really the rules are whatever you want to make them, just be sure to stick to them once they're in place.
>>
>>55202401
>Slogans sometimes
>Whatever goes on the shilled isn't necessarily the same as the tabbard or pregnant or anything else, but always follows the same color scheme
>>
File: austrianarms.png (116KB, 240x296px) Image search: [Google]
austrianarms.png
116KB, 240x296px
>>55202401
As >>55205263 said, the rules can be whatever as long as you stay by them. Consistency is key in worldbuilding.
But what I'd bear in mind is that heraldry is a personal symbol, it's declaring something. So if your character is lord of a particular place, you'd want to tie his heraldry to its coat of arms. This can get pretty large (see pic) especially bearing in mind it isn't just what they own, but what they claim to own. There's also symbols to bear in mind, usually animals. For this sort of thing it helps to build your culture from the ground up, filling in these bits first before you begin to create the more advanced parts. My example here is the House of Lusignan whose mythological founding is from a water dragon spirit, hence use of mermaids and dragons in heraldry (or so wikipedia tells me). Basically think about local folklore first then use it to influence your fantasy's art, names of pubs, heraldry, etc.
A personal coat of arms also has to distinguish you from other members of your family through use of crosses, barries, and party per somethings and so on. I know very little about this, but there's certainly a book or online article you can read.

Being informed and consistent is the best way to worldbuild. Most people (inc. me) don't put in all the effort, which is why using real world examples and rules is easiest. That's what I'd recommend.
>>
I don't put much background in it. If it comes up its purely for swag.
>>
File: 013.jpg (124KB, 640x394px) Image search: [Google]
013.jpg
124KB, 640x394px
>>55202401
>>55205263
>>55207207
Never saw much appeal on it, and it's not like heraldry has to exist in fantasy.

I go the ancient way, the symbol can be pretty much anything, and an entire unit may share it or just some particular detail.
>>
>>55202401
I go by the french rules. But I only use that for my armies, not rpg sessions, and only because I like vexillology in general.

>What are the rules for making one
Well done beginner's book about heraldry:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/b6v3ir
>>
File: 1503340238520.png (174KB, 607x768px) Image search: [Google]
1503340238520.png
174KB, 607x768px
>>55202401
Every heraldry has a story...
>>
>>55210459
>moors come to wreck shit
>city is nothing but women and children
>bitch throws bees
>moors run from need n sheeiit
>>
File: Rule of tincture.png (14KB, 561x249px) Image search: [Google]
Rule of tincture.png
14KB, 561x249px
>>55202401
>What are the rules for making one?
http://heraldry.sca.org/armory_articles.html
>>
>>55211362

At first I thought this chart was really bad, then I realized it was REALLY good.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.