[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my group is wanting to do a big war campaign and specifically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1325550285266.jpg (976KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1325550285266.jpg
976KB, 1600x1200px
So my group is wanting to do a big war campaign and specifically want large battles. Thankfully I was able to steer them away from Pathfinder for this, but now I'm at a loss since I don't know too many system that handle mass combats well.

Right now I'm looking into Reign, which seems nice but there's a lot of stuff like magic that seems tied with its setting and ideally I'd like to do as little homebrew as possible for this.
>>
>>55176791
Pendragon seems like a good choice. It assumes massive battles as a key part of the game and the only overt magic involved is Merlin and the occasional giant, leave them out of it and you're fine.
>>
>>55177781
Oh I'm not against magic at all. Reign's magic just seems to be pretty wired into the fluff, so I'm afraid I can't make it more generic without putting in extra work.
>>
Depends what kind of wars you want.

GURPS has strong stuff, but it is a bit more abstract I guess. You compare your armies then discuss your tactics and what your heroes will do then you turn that into modifiers for contested skill rolls. It's pretty good.

The Song of Ice and Fire RPG has ok mass combat, but really it is close to just normal combat with "units" instead of characters. I think 5e D&D has an add on like this too.
>>
>>55178464
>GURPS has strong stuff, but it is a bit more abstract I guess. You compare your armies then discuss your tactics and what your heroes will do then you turn that into modifiers for contested skill rolls. It's pretty good.

That sounds exactly the kind of shit I'm looking for. Is that sort of shit in the corebook or is there a specific splat I should look for?
>>
File: GURPS 4e - Mass Combat.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS 4e - Mass Combat.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>55178948
I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE YOU COULD FIND SUCH A THING
>>
>>55176791
Savage Worlds can do this, but I would go with the GURPS.
>>
Mythic Britain has decent rules for mass combat, but it's a bit complex and might slow the game down if you use more than 3 or 4 units. I ran a siege back in January using the rules and had fun.
I haven't tried the systems mentioned in this thread so I can't comment on them.
>>
>>55178464
>>55179347
>>55179397
Yep, GURPS is good for this. It's also got an optional add-on to the Mass Combat supplement called "Tactical Mass Combat" in Pyramid issue 3-44 (Alternate GURPS II) which uses the Mass Combat rules and turns them into a wargame format, akin to Warhammer and that type of game. If you're interested in that.
The rules seem very solid but I personally have not used that add-on yet (I don't mind the abstraction in the default Mass Combat).
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.