[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how would you describe the best kind of lost city/civilization?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

how would you describe the best kind of lost city/civilization? I don't mean best as in perfect but, most interesting. I like how Uncharted does civs but, it can get crazy with all the "super advance mechanics for its time" puzzles and junk that always pops up.
>>
>>55173569
Why the fuck would any advanced civilization build its cities on waterfalls?!?

The mold alone would wipe them out in a year.
>>
>>55173910
you need alot of disbelief sometimes with uncharted's cities. It was pretty balla looking tho, kinda futuristic in a sense. This city would've worked better in a fantasy setting I think because anti-mold magic.
>>
File: autism.png (1MB, 800x474px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
1MB, 800x474px
>>55173910
>>
By having nothing but a few unmistakeable artifacts left.

Monster Hunter does this with the dragonators. There are tell tale signs of an apocalyptic war with dragons years ago, but nothing left except a handful of highly specialized dragon-killing devices
>>
I like the classic ancient super-technology (could be magic too) one that was destroyed thousands of years ago by some great apocalypse and left subtle clues (e.g. random unexplained artifacts) everywhere. Of course there's also more complete ruins buried somewhere containing things like eldritch abominations that are still somehow alive and/or old deranged AI running half-working security systems.

I know this is very cliche and like 90% settings have something like that, but I still love it. Dunno really why, but there's something about it that just always gives me sense of wonder.
>>
File: replica hod tales of the abyss.jpg (216KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
replica hod tales of the abyss.jpg
216KB, 1920x1080px
>>55175304
I like the idea too, I just wish that a sort of culture was fleshed out instead of a sterile blocky architecture that alot of super-magotech civs have.
>>
>>55173569
the most important thing is getting the wonder and mystery across- theres meant to be something to drive the players forwards, some enigma or prise to be found solved

plain ruins are boring, no matter how large or extravagant. something that defies your understanding of the world/history however is not
>>
>>55175373
I think Arcanum did it pretty well and I kinda like Lovecraft's take on that theme. Rakata from KoTOR were good too although they had really sterile blocky architecture.
>>
>>55175902
Rakata are a pretty good example, I like the idea that a group of primitives who only exist on one planet once ruled most of the galaxy.
>>
>>55176280
I think most awesome and sense of wonder inducing thing about them was that they provided pretty cool explanation for many strange things in Star Wars such as big trees of Kashyyk and deserts of Tatoiine. Really hope they're still canon because they fleshed out prehistory, so nicely.
>>
File: 690200._SX540_.jpg (70KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
690200._SX540_.jpg
70KB, 540x405px
Call me dull, but I really enjoy the sense of antiquity and mystery around ancient, out of place alien ruins ala At The Mountains of Madness.
>>
>>55173910
It's a Myconid city. So it's a feature, not a bug.
>>
>>55176551
The planet and race are still canon, but their history isn't. They're using what is basically the map from the Essential Atlas, only without Zenoma Sekot (because Vong) and with the addition of all the nucanon worlds.
>>
>>55180074
Do you mean like that Rakata history was denied of canon status or that it's currently unclear?
>>
>>55182340
That the species and planet are canon, but nothing else is. Everything else is Legends.

Legends isn't "canon until we say otherwise," it's "not canon unless we specify it is, and even then only what is included in new canon material is canon, not all material associated with that item."

Rakata Prime is listed in the TFA visual guide's galaxy map, and a single Rakata was in a single issue of the ongoing Poe Dameron comic. That's all that's canon for them right now, not all the rest of their Legends story.
>>
>>55173569
>nobody knows what happened to it
>had imperial dominance over wide area, so different cultures can retain bits of their lost culture.
>Were just as diverse as any other culture, and there may even be outcasts who survived the fall in greatly diminished state.
>>
Carcosa
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.