[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have no idea how to write a PCs story. I'm usually the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Character_7e1f91_5843922.jpg (104KB, 550x1054px) Image search: [Google]
Character_7e1f91_5843922.jpg
104KB, 550x1054px
I have no idea how to write a PCs story. I'm usually the foreverGM and I can write long elaborate stories for villains and other NPCs, but I'm having writers block trying to make a PC character story, as PCs are the chaotic anomaly to the lawful ebb and flow of a story or narrative. Can you guys throw out some suggestions for a paladin PC backstory?
>>
>>55150377

Well Id really need more details on the setting to get really creative but to offer a tip, don't get hung up on trying to be super complex. A backstory is just there to get you started what's more important is the adventure itself and how your character reacts to things and, idealy, grows through it.

As for a Paladin? You don't need to be super complex. Just the standard, was raised in the church or standard war orphan is good enough.

My last Pally was just the son of one who got killed in the line of duty.
>>
>>55150411
Setting seems to be homebrewed standard fantasy kitchen sink. It's 1v1 so GM is more concerned with building the story around my character. System is pathfinder, I was thinking perhaps going chosen one so she has a mouthpiece through my familiar to give me the usual GM nudges.
>>
>>55150377
The most important thing about making a PC character is defining clear motivations for their participation in the present (and future) stories/sessions.

For motivations, I generally start with 2 or 3, expecting that through the course of the game I will pick up more, generally one being related to the other player characters).

Start by putting them to the "why" test - for example, our concept is a paladin. Instantly we can assume some sort of motivation relating to her (going with her due to OP picture) faith or belief. Pilgrimage - as part of her order's duties, she is visiting various holy sites.
That already gives us a lot of options, perhaps it simply is enough in itself, she is traveling and in the course of these travels got roped into the starting plot, or perhaps she specifically is traveling to this plot location for plot related purpose.

Furthermore that motivation immediately gives us color as to her background; she is a part of a religious order (what order? how long? under what circumstances did she join?), she is a pilgrim (is she new to travel, or a veteran of the world?), and also gives a goal (when will the pilgrimage be accomplished? What expectations are there upon completion of the pilgrimage? Where have they visited already? Are they homesick?).

Throw another motivation or two, generally completely different, and that should give you enough questions with the usual 5 Ws to flesh out a background. The motivations give you instant pivot points for roleplaying, and serve as integration points for the GM to utilize for content/obstacles in the game.
>>
File: jeanne-darc-20060922053740158.jpg (46KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
jeanne-darc-20060922053740158.jpg
46KB, 640x360px
>>55150477

You ever play Jeanne D'arc on PSP? It was pretty good and I think might be what you're looking for.
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 750x449px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 750x449px
>>55150377
For a dexterity based paladin I always liked the idea of a gambling con-man who was approached by a strange man and tries to pull the some trick as always. But this time he keeps losing, and tries to win it all back by offering up one item of the man's choosing. After losing again the man asks for his soul. Turns out a few of his victims' prayers had made it up to some heavenly middle man who disided that this crooks redemption was going to be his pet project. The angel place's a geass style blessing on him (the exact conditions are up to you) and sends the reluctant paladin on a journey to become a true knight in shining armour!
>>
>>55150516
>Jeanne D'arc on PSP
I have not, but I'll take a look thank you.

>>55150411
>>55150495
Thank you very much for the tips, I'll be using them while I flesh out who my paladin is.
>>
>>55150377
Backstory is not as important as the characterization of your PC.

What you need is to ask some questions, starting with obvious ones.
>What's your character's name?
>What's your character's age?
>What's your character's gender? (Contrary to what /tg/ might tell you, this might influence how characters think. In settings like L5R, for example, samurai women exist, even those who fight with heavy weapons like tetsubo and big-ass axes/swords. But they are regarded as mothers and as such usually samurai women are expected to stay at home and take care of the household and children while the husband goes out and works for the Emperor... with certain exceptions, where women are the ones who go out and do it while their husband stays at home)
>Who are your character's parents?
>Does your character have siblings?
>Who is the most important person for your character? Why?
>Who does your character dislike/like less than anyone else? Why?
>What would bring your character to respect someone?
>What would bring your character to dislike/hate someone?
>What principle does your character value above all else?
>What's your character's strenght?
>What's your character's weakness?
>What is your character's biggest regret?
>Your character won a fight: how does he/she feel?
>Your character lost a fight: how does he/she feel?
>What might a stranger say about your character, if he/she made a good first impression?
>What might a stranger say about your character, if he/she made a bad first impression?
>What has been the biggest hardship that your character has faced up until the game starts?
>>
>>55150680
>name?
Alexander
>age?
early 20s
>gender?
Male
>parents/siblings/important person
I’m undecided on whether they have family or not. On the one hand, I want to avoid the murderhobo, on the other, I don’t want the adventure to be about my relationship with my family.
>Who does your character dislike/like less than anyone else? Why?
Apostates, demon worshipers, necromancers, anybody that spits on the sanctity of life and humanity.
>What would bring your character to respect someone?
Altruism, honor, denying yourself base satisfaction if it infringes on justice.
>What would bring your character to dislike/hate someone?
Sacrificing others for their own benefit, disrupting the natural laws, senseless violence
>What principle does your character value above all else?
The will to still give everything you have when you all is lost.
>What's your character's strength?
Raw unbreakable determination
>What's your character's weakness?
Lack of tact where it may be needed.
>What is your character's biggest regret?
Not being able to become a cleric and perform the large scale miracles needed in times of war.
>Your character won a fight: how does he/she feel?
Sad, something may have died when it could have been redeemed if I did better.
>Your character lost a fight: how does he/she feel?
Assuming I’m not dead, rage at my weakness and fierce determination to fight again to right whatever wrong came about because I was unable to stop it.
>What might a stranger say about your character, if he/she made a good first impression?
There will never be another person more willing to fight hell itself if it meant one soul would be saved.
>What might a stranger say about your character, if he/she made a bad first impression?
Incredibly troubled, too thick to see the danger he is in.
>What has been the biggest hardship that your character has faced up until the game starts?
A waving of faith when his god would not grant him the power to perform miracles as clerics do.
>>
>>55150377
Player character backstories are easy. The main mistake people make is to overwrite them. You want three things. Their basic personality, their primary motivation, and a very general sense of origin. In general, none of these things need to be, or should be, more than one sentence.

Player characters work best when you have the foundation, and you put the pieces together as the game plays out. The worst thing you can do is come in with a fully formed character, because, one, they don't have much growing or learning to do, and two, they will almost certainly end up at odds with someone or something in the group. If you start with the basics and build a story and deeper personality around that, the character can grow organically into the story, and that is how it works best.
>>
>>55150911
Now you need some NPCs to tie your character to so that the GM can throw some plothooks your way. (Yes, also enemies) This will also help you out in finding if the GM is actually good or if he kills family/characters close to your PCs off-screen for cheap drama.
>>
File: Slipinwronghole.jpg (35KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Slipinwronghole.jpg
35KB, 1024x576px
>>55150377
>That Gm that needs everything set in stone about a pcs pass in his custom setting that no one really knows.
>>
>>55150377
I usually use a generator in that case; this one does the trick:
http://rpg.ashami.com/
>>
>>55151882
>The worst thing you can do is come in with a fully formed character
I disagree.

Teenagers and young adults have their own character, they don't _need_ to grow. Everybody grows at their own pace, even old people can still change their character if they interact with someone important who makes them change their mind about things.

>they will almost certainly end up at odds with someone or something in the group
If you are making the big mistake of creating a character alone, that would be most certainly the case. However, if you chat with your group and make sure you are all on the same page as to what you want to play (Heroic heroes doing heroic things or cutthroat mercenaries out to make a name for themselves and also whores) then you probably won't end up with characters who are polar opposites.

Plus, having characters with differing personalities might lead to good banter. Can you imagine how dull it would be if, say, for example Jamie in Game of Thrones had the exact same outlook and demeanor as Bronn? Or if Gimli of Lord of the Rings had the same outlook on things and the same modus operandi as Legolas?
>>
>>55150377
As a GM, how many PCs have given you backstories you've read, remembered and incorporated in any significant way into the campaign's plot?
>>
>>55150377
>I have no idea how to write a PCs story. I'm usually the foreverGM and I can write long elaborate stories for villains and other NPCs

Then do just that. Start with a villain, or perhaps just a selfish scoundrel. Then tack "...and then Church of [your pally's god here] saved pulled [your pally's name here] out of the ditch where he lay bleeding and dying and nursed him back to life. I spent several months convalescing in a priory while [insert your pally's now beloved mentor figure] helped me get my life on track.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.