[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the best name for a generic magical class?There's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1503695193059.jpg (392KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1503695193059.jpg
392KB, 2000x2000px
Whats the best name for a generic magical class?There's wizard, mage, magician, spellcaster sorcerer.
Same for warrior, knight, swordsman
I find it difficult to choose between those because they're kinda the same but some games like MtG have more than one.
>>
>>55136659
Somethingingreekmancer
>>
>>55136659

All of those words have slightly different connotations, which, admittedly, the party may not directly understand.
I prefer to use:

Mage - Someone who is wise and learned, and can do magic as a result of this knowledge
Wizard - Someone who does rituals and alchemy
Magician - An entertainer, who doesn't actually know magic.
Spellcaster,Sorcerer - Any and all magic users
Enchanter - Someone who tends to use magic that confuses, dazzles or beguiles
Warlock - Usually an evil sorcerer
Witch - Usually an evil woman who uses magic

Unless, of course, I'm playing a system with classes, in which case I make sure the names are used appropriate to the system/setting.
>>
>>55136659
Sorcerer and Man-at-Arms
>>
>>55136659
spellcaster is the most generic
>>
>>55136659
I personally think "mage" captures the best balance between generic and evocative.

Spellcaster is the most generic, but it's so generic that it's just plain bland. I guess if you're going for the dry and technical approach that's fine, but usually you want at least a *little* flair when making a game or writing a story.

Magician is pretty generic too, but it's too tied up with connotations of stage magic, which makes it a bit less than ideal for a fantasy magic-user.

Wizard is alright as a general fallback, but tends to have a pretty strong association with sagely mentor figures (Merlin, Gandalf, Dumbledore) and/or scholarly, bookish type casters (thanks, D&D). If magic isn't necessarily a matter of esoteric knowledge and rituals and such, "wizard" isn't a great pick for a generic caster.

Sorcerer tends to have somewhat more sinister connotations in a lot of fiction, often being the title villainous magic-users are given or take for themselves in many stories. There are exceptions, of course, but the trend is strong enough that, for instance, if you asked a group of people who they thought was more trustworthy, a wizard or a sorcerer, the majority would pick wizard pretty consistently. Or barring that, you get the D&D connotation of a spellcaster whose power comes from innate talent or bloodline, which likewise makes it a bit less generic.
>>
>>55136659
Depends on the tone you're going for.

"Magic user" fits when you wanna be vanilla as shit (which isn't a bad thing). Mage is also good for that.

I use Warlock or Sorcerer when I want magic to feel like something that's less of a science and more of a secret art that takes either madness or an alien mind to comprehend, and where the users are either weak, insane or restrict their lifestyle in a multitude of ways that make little to no sense to non-warlocks/non-sorcerers to keep their minds bound to their bodies. Oracle and Witch are also good terms in this sense, but tend to have specific connotations on what they do with their magic.

Wizard or Magician tend to be my go-to for magic where the process is almost like a science, at least in the sense that it's something studied and learned with rules that make sense to an outsider. Same for specific terms like conjurors or [something]-mancers.
>>
>>55137143
>if you asked a group of people who they thought was more trustworthy, a wizard or a sorcerer, the majority would pick wizard pretty consistently
Another one of the wizard's foul machinations, that.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.