[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 62

File: frostgrave barbarian paintjob.jpg (141KB, 676x559px) Image search: [Google]
frostgrave barbarian paintjob.jpg
141KB, 676x559px
Harmful body image edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread
>>55020281
>>
>>55133888
Next thing we see is, that someone does a discord chat. And we will discuss if that chat will kill the general
>>
Also for those interested in a group build:
Theme is "monster" and the timeframe 1st to 30th of September.

Post a timestamped? pic of your unpainted mini (assembled and primed is fine).
>>
>>55133937
What is the group build??
>>
I've ordered a bunch of Gamezone/Artemis Black hero miniatures.

What fantasy skirmish games can let me play a band of heroes? Stuff like Frostgrave/Mordheim is more focused on one leader and a gang of grunts, which doesn't fit a whole band of elite looking guys.

I have loads of skeletals/orcs for them to fight thanks to the Dungeon Saga KS.
>>
>>55133969
SoBaH or Lion/Dragon Rampant could work.
There are also a few other more historical minded games that would fit the theme, but their names escape me atm.
If it's more of a skirmish warband lead by heroes and not 'just' heroes you could also look into SAGA and LotR.
>>
>>55133961
Here's the post in the last thread that sparked the discussion
>>55020325
Literally building some kind of monstrous creature basically.
Ogres, Trolls whatever. Personally I'm leaning towards something you'd have to build on a 40mm base, but that may just be me.
>>
>>55133937
>Post a timestamped? pic of your unpainted mini
For what purpose?
>>
>>55134022
Hmmm ...I am KoW guy. So either a regiment of zombie trolls or a bitchking on flying lyndworm = Terrorgheist.
Since you said 40mm base, would a big monster like the terrorgheist qualify?
>>
>>55133969
SoBaH, it's well within the bounds of the system to have your elite, unique hero warband against a horde of skelly and orc mooks.
>>
>>55134071
If you can relate it back to the theme I'm sure it'll be fine, this really doesn't seem like a super strict thing.
>>
>>55134069
I was just summarizing the old thread.
Strictly speaking there is no way to make anyone do it, nor any benefit to having people so it in the first place I guess, hence the spoilered questionmark.
As long as people start posting minis at all it's all good in my book.
>>
>>55134069
It proves that you started with an unpainted mini and didn't just submit something already completed.

Considering there's no prizes or anything on offer it's not really that important but it is still good sportsmanship.
>>
>>55134115
>nor any benefit to having people so it in the first place I guess
Yeah, that was why I asked. I'm a fan of that not being a rule, since it opens up the build to people wanting a kick up the butt to finish off an old half-done project.
>>
>>55134136
Considering the lack of stakes, I'd argue that any mini posting is good mini posting.
>>
>>55134166
I'd say the best compromise is to say a timestamped unpainted shot is encouraged, but not compulsory.
>>
>>55134166
I would also see the like the stages between Grey plastic and finished model.

We could do a mass before after picture. Would be nice
>>
>>55133969
Rogue Planet. It's technically science fantasy, but it's the sort of game that's designed to make melee and big swords viable. It also does the big powerful heroes/monsters vs hordes thing well.

You can also pick assholes up and throw them around, through walls and into their friends.
>>
Asking here again: Any news of any upcoming fancy 28 mm fantasy plastic sets?

I know of the frostgrave dwarfs and the pirate crew ones
>>
>>55134242
Northstar is also working on some Dwarves (pictures of that are floating around already) and some Snakemen (these are gonna come out next year, no pictures yet)
>>
>>55134255
Those dwarves you mention are the frostgrave ones anon was talking about.
>>
>>55134292
for some reason I thought he mentioned the goblins. So there are goblins in the works too.
>>
File: IMG_20170830_070305330.png (750KB, 1008x861px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170830_070305330.png
750KB, 1008x861px
>>55133937
On this week's episode of River Monsters!
I'll post a real pic on Monday when I get my camera back. I also have to sand and re-prime large parts of it because I'm a retard.
>>
>>55134239
Rogue Planet looks ace, thanks for the recommendation.
>>
File: North-Star-Metal-Dwarves.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
North-Star-Metal-Dwarves.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
Apparently North Star are doing metal dorfs to go with the plastics, they look neat.
>>
Spectre Ops would be perfect for a Jagged Alliance or Xcom game with some light rpg rules tacked on, in the same vein of the original Planes and Mercs.
>>
>>55135861
>make static as fuck plastics
>then dynamic metals

Great...
>>
I've made a few updates to my Alternating Activation system based on earlier recommendations. At its core, it's a system where each player alternates moving single units. The game is "two action", where Interrupts only let you perform a single Action, and you have a variable amount of Tactical Points per turn which can be used to meddle with the game's turn structure, allowing for consecutive unit activations, interrupting interrupts, and splitting a unit's actions into two activations, or activation+interrupt. Basically, there's a lot less downtime between players.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N0bbT2a0y_THicAgRS1SxKZA9ZKtDmJpDsiDSyKAkAQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Let me know if there are any weird RAW issues you see with the current implementation.
>>
From last thread, someone shared the Scrappers PDF. Seems interesting, with the way you allocate moves before then activating units, plus finding rare items on the field.
Anyone give the game a shot?
>>
>>55134239
Is there a pdf floating around somewhere? Always hesitant to buy sight unseen.
>>
>>55136633
That's how this stuff usually works. You can't really do dynamic with multipart plastics, unless you make them full monopose-anti-partswap again.
>>
File: IMG_0535.jpg (82KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0535.jpg
82KB, 720x720px
>>55135861
>sexy metal dwarves
>this means sexy metal orcs/goblins
>possibly even great orcs

i am ready
>>
>>55138710
Has Bob Olley ever done sculpting for North Star?

There's a potential collab that gets me moist.
>>
>>55138751
to the best of my knowledge no, is he still active?

also you got a link to the metal dwarfs?
>>
>>55138804
On North Star's Facebook, spam filter won't let me post link.

His own website closed down but he still does sculpting for other companies.

There was a kickstarter recently by some small company for a range of skeletal halflings sculpted by Bob.

He's done TONS of stuff for Reaper, too.
>>
>>55138978
i have a few of the old stuff he did, he was pretty good. any idea when they might drop the not-lotr stuff?
>>
>>55138634
You absolutely can do dynamic with multi-part plastics. All it takes is some angled arms and leg poses other than "waiting for the bus." What doesn't work is dynamic models designed to be all ranked up. And since Northstar's Dwarfs are being designed for a rank n' flank game it makes sense the standard troops not being super dynamic posing.
>>
>>55140371
So let me rephrase that: It's hard to do dynamic with what people usually expect from multipart plastics: Easy partswaps and kitbashes. Because Wyrd's stuff is dynamic as fuck, but if you want to convert that, you actually have to apply yourself.
>>
Any skirmish wargame that has progression like mordheim but allows you to field monsters? Without special dice or needing cards either.
>>
>>55142627

Song of Blades and Heroes has an expansion called Song of Deeds and Glory with pretty extensive "your doods" progression rules.
>>
>>55142717
Does it add a little more finesse into the combat rules? I still can't get past a model's combat score being identical for ranged and melee.
>>
>>55143190
Why not just houserule a bad at fighting/bad at shooting modifier that shaves some points off the profile and gives penalties to the relevant attack?
>>
I need a quick rundown on infinity
>>
>>55144631
>>55140446
>>
>>55144631
It is an abstract concept describing something without any bound.
>>
>>55144701
Never change /tg/.
>>
Weird request:

Anyone know of any mini providers that make just chimpanzees and other apes. Like no sci fi attachments no holding human weapons just chimps with at most a stick?
>>
File: GPR024_1024x1024.png (112KB, 417x206px) Image search: [Google]
GPR024_1024x1024.png
112KB, 417x206px
>>55146657
Wargames Foundry does some silverbacks.
>>
So does anyone here know the best way to strip paint from models made of that board game ABS sort of plastic? I need to redo some of my MERCS stuff but I'm worried that simple green may not react too well with the material.
>>
>>55146657
http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=87_126_131&products_id=1660
>>
>>55142627
Otherworld has a lot of monsters in the bestiary ranging from kobolds to giants.
>>
>>55149104
Simple Green generally doesn't soften plastic unless you leave it there for a long, long time. Generally speaking, a 12-24 hour soak is plenty to loosen the paint for either a brushing, or even peeling it right off like a skin.

If you're saying ABS plastic, is it for the Recon line, or did they use the same plastic for both the board and miniatures games? On that note, how is the detail quality of the plastics? One of the game stores I go to has pretty much all the faction boxes sitting there to temp me whenever I walk by. I might pick one or two up if the details aren't quite as grim as early reports suggested.
>>
>>55149104
super clean
>>
>>55149104
there are many degreasers that will work for stripping(not all, but you can do some tests). People in italy only use chante clair to strip paints,it's very weak, doesn't get primer, but you can even forget yopur mini in it for a thousand years and it comes out unaffected. You can use it for any material as long as you don't need to strip primer too. (sometimes primer does come halfway off though)
>>
>>55149501
The plastics are the same now for Recon and the skirmish game.

The game is gun with 2.0 being a clear improvement over 1st. The faction packs are a good deal. $35 for ten models and the stat cards? You're set to play outside an opponent and some dice since the rules are available online for free now.

As for details they're pretty decent. Not like GW levels of detail, but pretty solid.

So you think simple green would work without ruining the models or making them not take to primer well in the future?
>>
>>55149721
Simple Green is my go-to for stripping minis. High-grade alcohol or acetone-free nail polish remover can risk making plastics more brittle. PineSol can sometimes make plastics turn gummy, if not into a slurry. Mineral Spirits and acetone will eat your plastics. Brake fluid is quite toxic, is flammable, and needs to be disposed of via a mechanic or hazerdous waste drives, and will require goggles and gloves. Super Clean works well, but can cause burns, so it will probably also require gloves and eye protection.

The only issue I've come across with Simple Green to date is that I forgot some metal minis in a container of it for several months, and they got a blackish/burnt discoloration in splotches across the metal. I've read that that covers up smoothly with primer and paint, but I have yet to test that for myself. Sadly, I cannot say if it will impact your minis' ability to take new primer. So far I have had no issues with plastics, and my only gripe with resins is that it hasn't always gotten all of the paint up quite as well as I would like, but I figure that's the nature of the material.

It is an inconvenience, but if you're super worried, you could go to ebay and pick up a solo blister of one of your minis, then use the plastic one as a tester for stripping. If something does happen to go terribly wrong (unlikely) you can replace it with the metal mini.
>>
Oh hey, o8's getting into 3mm 40K now.

http://assaultpublishing.com/product-category/3mm-sci-fi-miniatures/

Scroll down for Eldar and what looks awfully like a proxy Russ. Also available (probably) on picoarmor in the us and fighting15s in the uk.

I know some folk on shapeways do 3mm space marine vehicles, but it's nice to see stuff in metal - 3mm makes epic more so.
>>
>>55149935
I do have a bunch of spare models from the KS I'll never use. I could probably throw aome paint on one and test the simple green with that.

Will have to make sure to do it on a day off so I can keep an eye on it.
>>
>>55150006
The general rule is that 12-24 hours in Simple Green is enough to properly react with the paint, and is harmless to the actual mini. It's only when you somehow do what I did and forget things in it for months on end that you run a risk of something getting wonky.
>>
>>55150046
Great. Guess I've got some trating to do.

Thanks!
>>
>>55150167
>trating
What the actual fuck? How did I manage to type that when going for testing? I need to go to bed.
>>
Who has good Raider raider minis?
>>
>>55150640
chech out the copplestone scavengers. you can get them from mirmilton. copplestoone castings has some too of course.
lead adventure also has a bice range of post apoc minis.
Then there are games like punkocalypse, eden and sulphur that are basically modeled around the whole mad max/fallout thing.
>>
>>55150640
>>55150701
sorry, that pic is a bit misleading. half of that are escher gangers from gw.
meant to post something else.
>>
>>55150640
Maybe give the Outcasts faction from Dark Age a look. It's a fairly popular faction due to the very post-apocalyptic and raider vibes it gives off. You have generic outcasts, slavers, and nomads to pick from.

>>55150167
Quick word to the wise: Simple Green can weaken green stuff and super glue bonds, if that is something you're worried about. It doesn't turn it into goop, but it will help weaken the bonding power.
>>
>>55144452
We do - in fact, we have a whole set of additional tweaks, but it makes it a bit awkward when bringing other players in and I would just be interested to see what they would do with it. I know that (optional) more detailed combat was discussed as a future expansion when the book was originally released / revised
>>
File: Bikers 3.jpg (74KB, 1080x634px) Image search: [Google]
Bikers 3.jpg
74KB, 1080x634px
>>55150701
>>55150725

>copplestone scavengers

I think those two non-GW metals on the front left are EM-4 Miniatures anon. No idea about the back right one.

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/SCAVENGERS.html

Fuck's sake, I only got an order off them last month and there's a few single metals I've seen that look cool. Not worth paying £1.50+£3 postage though, joke.
>>
File: Neat.gif (25KB, 247x200px) Image search: [Google]
Neat.gif
25KB, 247x200px
>>55149970
>3mm 40k
>>
>>55151548
>I think those two non-GW metals on the front left are EM-4 Miniatures anon. No idea about the back right one.
Yeah they are. But Mirliton sells them too in their future warriors range.
http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=future-savage-with-gunn&cName=future-warrior-28-mm
>>
I've been reading Rogue Planet and while it looks super great I'd have liked a few more spells.

So I'm considering adding a few borrowed from Frostgrave, with adjustments to match the system. Is this an insanely bad idea?
>>
>tfw you drop $60 on bits for the group build
It's the postage that's the real killer, I wish all these tiny cottage manufacturers would just form a federation so that I can buy things from one place.
>>
>>55150640
In addition to what others have said, Ramshackle Games and Thunderchild miniatures have some funky post-apoc stuff.
>>
>>55152395

I know the feel, I know it's laborious but a package under A4 size less than 100g is a £1 stamp here, and yet most companies charge £3-5 to post one or two metals. Puts me off regularly, need to go to more wargaming shows I guess.
>>
>>55151577
Only buy from Mirliton if you want to pay an assload of shipping and not see what you ordered for 3 months. Friggin Italians.
>>
>>55133881
Hey everyone. I just took a look at some of the Darklands minis, specifically their minotaurs. Fuck they look amazing. Does anybody play the game? I'm quite interested, but i have no fucking idea what the game is like
>>
>>55152592
The minis do look great, but have you seen the prices?
That aside there was some shady stuff going on with maelstrom etc...
>>
>>55152634
Yeah, it looks expensive as fuck, more so given that i'm from Argentina, but still, they look soooo fucking good. I play mostly homebrews anyway, and id love to add them to my collection in case the game is shit
>>
Are there any miniature-agnostic armoured battle games? Pretty much a scifi FFTOWs?
>>
>>55152540
Why did you have problems with them?
I was considering buying some of the old Grenadier fantasy minis for my collection.
>>
>>55152975
Moonraker, a component of EM-4 Miniatures based in the UK sells them at a far more reasonable rate.
http://moonrakerminiatures.com/

You're forced to use Mirliton if you want most of the fantasy figures though. And I literally said what my problem was with them. Italians will take you for a ride for some really shitty shipping rates.
>>
>>55152826
Dirtside might be up your alley.
>>
File: 0041t.jpg (22KB, 169x216px) Image search: [Google]
0041t.jpg
22KB, 169x216px
>>55153262

Oh, that's why half of this is out of stock on em4, with little mention of there being a new site for them.

How bizarre though, they're about 200 miles apart, em4 is Suffolk way iirc.
>>
>>55153314
>>55153314
Yeah, not sure what's up with that, but I've ordered from Moonraker a few times already, and it delivers fast, even though I'm on the pacific coast. They've released some figures EM-4 didn't previously have too.
>>
>>55152826
Off the top of my head;

Dirtside
Horizon Wars
Polyversal (if that ever got out of kickstarter limbo, idk)
Laser Storm
Future War Commander
>>
>>55153852
Oh also CAV: Strike Operations and Mech Attack if you want robutts (I think they also handle tanks and other vehicles just fine though).
>>
Does Frostgrave still go on?

Now that new Necromunda has been confirmed to be a shitty scaled-down board game my imagination needs a new place to live.
>>
>>55154039
Last expansion it got was the hidden motives one with the cards. The author also did the Spellcaster magazine thing. I expect that there will be more issues than one at some point.

And with Ghost Archipelago on the horizon - and it's first expansion - I'm pretty sure there will be more.

If you are into Pirates that may be worth checking out too.
>>
>>55154165
Neat!

Thanks, Anon. Is it going to be hard to get caught up with the Frosty expansion stuff coming from the vanilla book only?

I hope there isn't toooo much compulsory terrain I have to make.
>>
>>55154413
Not really.
The bigger books like Breeding Pits, Thaw of the Lichlord and Forgotten Pacts add a new school of magic, new magic items and several connected narrative scenarios, i.e. new campaigns.
Lichlord allows you to use Lichmagic, Breeding Pits allows you to use Beastcrafters, which means body modifications like claws or wings for your Wizard and Forgotten Pacts allows you to worship/make pacts with demons and receive demonic gifts/powers in return.

These are additional options, you can just play with the regular wizards you already have. If you play the campaigns you are gonna be using campaign specific loot tables, but that's something you are looking up anyway.

Basically if you start a new warband for the campaign setting you have a bit more to catch up with, if you are using the new magic disciplines, if not it's really just different scenarios, different loot and a handful of new creatures.

As for the scenery a lot of it you can probably reuse or proxy. Those pillars from the basic book are going to come in handy a few times more.
Mostly they are just markers, monster spawns or places to get treasure from.

Thaw of the Lichlord for example has a battle that takes place on a frozen river, where you are supposed to get a certain treasure from a wracked ship.
You could set up the table with any other kind of scenery to though.
I like the scenarios as resource for scenery ideas though.
>>
>>55151916
Normally I'd just use the existing mechanics to do whatever magic thing I feel like, but you're not exactly playing a tight tournament ruleset, and it's hardly as broken as that time I just used straight AD&D spells referee-fiatted into functioning in a game of Mordheim.
>>
>>55155050
Grand.

I shall use an fish-tank model shipwreck.

And base all my men with goblin green and grass because that's how I like it, goddamnit.
>>
>>55152826
>Pretty much a scifi FFTOWs?
There's an alternate universe where they made that fucking Railgun game that was going to be SF FFT, if you can find your way there.

I like Strike Legion. No, not the wacky RPG, it's a fairly crunchy set of wargaming rules. There's also a platoon level version I've never touched, and a bloody great fights version that I like.

The main version's Strike Legion/Strike Legion Tactical, which has an updated edition with all the supplemental stuff in the book, and the operational version is Strike Legion Planetary Operations, which also has a WW3 supplement with rules for tactical nukes.

http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/3519/Legionnaire-Games

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/124513/Strike-Legion-Designers-Notes is a free ad/designer's notes things where the designer rambles about the games, I found it fairly interesting. The comments about Tactical mention that it's a bit hard cross-referencing multiple books - it was written before they published the compendium edition that should fix that.
>>
>>55155203
The goblin green bases are gonna fit in seamlessly with the lush jungles of the Ghost Archipelago.
If you are inclined to give that a try and paint a Heritor and Warden that is.

I heard that even though GA is kind of like Frostgrave's second edition crossovergames should be possible.

I wanted to build some scenery, but I'm kind of torn, I like the idea of jungle scenery, but a Frostgrave table could double as Mordheim table.
>>
File: orcs-n-gobs-ref-001.jpg (5MB, 4000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
orcs-n-gobs-ref-001.jpg
5MB, 4000x4000px
I'm looking to do some LoZ moblin-style orc conversions (amongst others) — I'm sure I remember seeing bulldog miniatures with Bretonnians (or someone) in old White Dwarf mags, but I'm drawing blanks searching the web.

May end up simply sculpting the pig/dog jowls myself but would like to patch together existing parts as well —can anyone point me at any bulldog-ish miniatures they know of?
>>
>>55152826
Gruntz is pretty fun for 15mm games.
>>
File: awg books.jpg (417KB, 800x540px) Image search: [Google]
awg books.jpg
417KB, 800x540px
These came in today for me. Thought it was finally time to get myself physical copies and I wanted a separate SoBaH and an ASoBaH copy for when we play only the one or the other

It's a shame that my local shop doesn't carry any /awg/ stuff and can't even order it. Had to order through Amazon and this way I feel like I support the scene, yet somehow I don't.
>>
File: bushido pit_dogs_promo.jpg (317KB, 850x1134px) Image search: [Google]
bushido pit_dogs_promo.jpg
317KB, 850x1134px
>>55156529
>LoZ
took me a moment, but that stands for Legend of Zelda right?

>I'm sure I remember seeing bulldog miniatures with Bretonnians (or someone) in old White Dwarf mags, but I'm drawing blanks searching the web.
Pretty sure the Bretonnians had a dog in the warmachine crew for the trebuchet, but that wasn't a bulldog.
There was a Mordheim fighting dog though. That one was a Bulldog I think.
Or a Mastiff. GW has a hardon for mastiffs.

>can anyone point me at any bulldog-ish miniatures they know of?
Not really the whole bulldog headed ork thing, but definitely bulldogs. If you got some slicone or even oyumaru around you could just cast extra heads yourself for converting.
The only humanoid dog that comes close is the pitbull one from Hasslefree called Chipster. You can get that one either naked or as sci-fi version.
If you use GW or Shieldwolf plastic orks with heads from 28mm bulldogs you should get something that vaguely resembles a Zelda ork/moblin.

Reaper has a bunch of dogs, one of them an armored wardog, which has a bulldogs face. Pretty huge.
Frostgrave has a wardog as well that you could use.
Otherworld also has some bulldogs. The above three all look pretty similar.
Warlord sells a pack of Mastiffs for their Celts in Hail Ceasar. Those could work for smaller figures like a regular infantry sized humanoid. May be a bit too small for plastic ork bodies.
Seargeant Major sells some dogs, not sure about the breeds anymore. They have a pack of collared and uncollared Mastiffs though iirc.
Warlord also have a whole array of other dogs, but they are bundled with characters usually for whatever reason. One of the Germanic Chieftains and a Roman General both have doggy sidekicks, not sure what breed though.
Dee Zee have a pack of nice dogs wit various breeds.
And Bushido have some rather cartoony fighting dogs (pic related), but I figure the heads should look neat on a humanoid body.
>>
File: HF_Hasslefree_Chip dog.jpg (63KB, 1006x476px) Image search: [Google]
HF_Hasslefree_Chip dog.jpg
63KB, 1006x476px
>>55157719
I feel like there was a kind of parody thing of british ww soldier because of the whole winston churchill thing.

Anyway Just to reiterate the imo probably best way is to take a dogs head and convert your own orks from that.

The Wargames factory orks that are now sold by Warlord kind of have dog faces to, but they look like the LotR cartoon rather than the fatty Zelda orks.
>>
File: HF-Hasslefree-Chip-Spaceclad.jpg (39KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
HF-Hasslefree-Chip-Spaceclad.jpg
39KB, 480x480px
>>55157812
dammit, wrong image.
>>
Anyone have the downlow on Arena Rex? I've been eyballing it for a while now but want to hear what people think about it
>>
File: mastiff.jpg (346KB, 673x577px) Image search: [Google]
mastiff.jpg
346KB, 673x577px
>>55156529
Mantic used to do an oversized throwing mastiff that would be perfect for this if you can track one down. They still have smaller ones in the dwarf infantry sprue, though. Maybe those heads are big enough for you.
>>
File: Untitled.png (74KB, 632x1272px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
74KB, 632x1272px
Anyone who was waiting on kickstarter or online order stuff from Spartan is officially shit outta luck.
>>
Doing a 15mm KoW Demo at the weekend. Undead vs.noble knights. Anybody got some nice art containing battles between undead and humans so I can beef up my demo with it?
>>
>>55157719
>LoZ = Legend of Zelda
Bingo! You'll notice the high volume of early Zelda art for ref in >>55156529 pic related

Looking to put together a force that physically represents the masses of room for weird oddities and variety in all ye olde orky types

>slicone or even oyumaru

Casting my own bits — nice one anon, hadn't considered this

>>55159154
These heads look perfect

Cheers for all the suggestions and tip offs
>>
>>55161042
I would love to do KoW at 15mm, but I can not for the life of me find models I like at that scale for fantasy.
>>
>>55163131
I started with Demon Worlds because they are good price to model count per blister. Also the quality is supreme, sadly you only have 2 or 3 poses per unit type. I expanded on Essex and Magister Militium for 15mm Humans and ordered some Alternative Armies Skeletons. The skeletons where kinda off, but still okay for the low price.
You could also check out Khurasan, they do superb 15mm Minis imo. And if you need Lizardfolk or Radkin you can chekc out http://www.battlevalorgames.com/
>>
>>55163516
Well Ibwas hoping mainly for some cool Ogres or some Dwarfs with actual personality and not just the same generic crap we've seen a millions times.
>>
>>55163727
What is your idea of Dwarves with personality?
>>
File: gangpotential.png (5MB, 1876x1780px) Image search: [Google]
gangpotential.png
5MB, 1876x1780px
Gonna order these for Newcromunda, how should I paint em up, struggling to think of a good way to paint them.
>>
>>55164229
Something that isn't the same crap GW churned out. Always hated the fact they were basically just beards with some stubby little arms holding axes. I know a I'm in the minority when it comes to that, but I don't just want an army of Gimli clones.
>>
>>55163131
>>55163516
Khurasan or Splintered Light are my usual recommendations.
>>
>>55157719
>Or a Mastiff. GW has a hardon for mastiffs.
It was indeed a mastiff. TBF, though, so did the medievals.
>>55156529

You might want to look at Napoleonics, too, I remember there's at least one compony doing a "Dogs of War" line with 28mm Nap Old Guard that are French Bulldogs
>>
What game has the best solo rules? I've tried Two Hour Wargames' stuff, and it left me sort of meh. I've also used the rules in Based Ivan's Clash on the Fringe and Fivecore, and again, it just didn't do much for me.

Is there anything like the AI from the D&D board games available, maybe?
>>
>>55165229
Blue jeans.
>>
>>55166203
No idea how good they are, but one of the Frostgrave expansions has a bunch of solo scenarios. I think the Golem one.
>>
>>55165411
>Splintered Light
That will be a tough call then. MAgister Militium does some dwarves aswell. Not sure if you will be happy with them.

>>55165763
I cant really bring myself to lick the SL Minis.

Still nobody got any Human vs. Undead art to spill for me?
>>
>>55167353
You're not meant to lick minis anon, just your brushes.
>>
>>55165833
Thanks, yeah I've been looking through less fantasy oriented miniatures for any parts I can salvage

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to Squiggish creatures?

Found these guys which I think are sculpted by one of the old GW crew. Much much cheaper than all the actual Squig models I've come across, yet practically the same thing.
>>
>>55167353
Splintered Light carries some 20mm dwarves sculpted by Bob Olley if that is more your thing.
And don't lick minis, Anon. Just your brushes.
>>
>>55168995
if you like hairy squigs with tusks, Ramshackle Games makes these things called Dungers.
>>
File: Dunger-Family.jpg (155KB, 1044x251px) Image search: [Google]
Dunger-Family.jpg
155KB, 1044x251px
>>55169030
Kek, these are hilarious
>>
File: 1502262603586.jpg (100KB, 736x1106px) Image search: [Google]
1502262603586.jpg
100KB, 736x1106px
>>55166950
>No idea how good they are, but one of the Frostgrave expansions has a bunch of solo scenarios. I think the Golem one.
It's Dark Alchemy, although the Golem one is playable solitaire with the following (basic) re-jigger (assuming introductory warbands) -

All games have a time limit of 8 Turns. Play on a 3x3 table. Use the Dark Alchemy Treasure Tokens rules.

Scenario 1:
Wizard, Apprentice, OR Captain (choose 1), plus up to half your warband.

Replace Corpse table maximums with
Treasure x3
Zombie Attack x3
Survivor x1
Golem Notes x1

Place 6 tokens on the table; the last one is always the Golem notes if they have not already been found. A Random Encounter automatically appears each turn. Place a pack of 6 Rats, 5 Wild Dogs, 4 Wolves/Blood Crows, or 1 Snow Leopard/Bear/Snow Toad in contact with a random corpse marker on turn 1. Roll on the Dark Alchemy table for treasures.

Scenario 2:
Wizard and up to 2/3 of the Warband. May include Apprentice OR Captain.
There are 4 Small constructs and 2 Medium Constructs on the table. Scatter each Construct 3d6" away from the location of the Granite Golem. On defeating a Construct, it drops a Treasure Token. If you extract the token successfully, roll 1d20: on a 15+ (for a Small Construct) or a 10+ (for a Large one), you may roll on the Hunt for the Golem treasure table. Otherwise roll on the Dark Alchemy table.

Scenario 3: Add 4 Constructs to the table, in any combination of Medium and Large, scattering as above. Large Constructs always drop a Hunt for the Golem treasure and a Dark Alchemy treasure: the Medium Constructs have a 50/50 chance of either.
>>
File: e3bte7r6dvgy.png (6MB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
e3bte7r6dvgy.png
6MB, 3840x1080px
>>55161042
I found this on google and thought it looked neat.
>>
Here's a shitty photo of the Troll I'm gonna do for the community challenge thing.
>>
I was asking about this in the /wfg/ before archive.

I'm looking for houserules or making my own in order to convert henchmen in Mordheim into more heroes, similar to how Necromunda gangs work.

Can anybody see any issues this may cause other than the exploration dice. Tweaking stats of some henchmen to make them heroes is entirely within the realm of possibility.
>>
File: 249780.jpg (42KB, 360x451px) Image search: [Google]
249780.jpg
42KB, 360x451px
>>55168995
I'm thinking mimics make a decent squig-substitute with a lot of classic fantasy flavour.

Can anyone suggest where to source mimic miniatures? Preferably in the UK?

So far I've found, what I think, are pic related but they aren't going to be released for another 80 days or so, from Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures. Plenty of US options but I'd rather avoid the added shipping costs
>>
>>55166203
OK, so! As a solo player, generally you want to steal bits from all over the place and duct-tape them together into house-rules, but as a general rule...

Assign a basic personality to groups, or the entire army. This can be as simple as "attack" or "defend." In general, do what's appropriate. Perhaps come up with two plans (either for a given turn, or for an action, or for the whole engagement), and roll off - this may be two equally good options, or "do the sensible thing on a 3+, otherwise do the not quite as smart thing you have in mind," or just roll some dice and make up a plan by assigning numbers randomly.

There are some freebie articles from Lone Warrior magazine, and there's also a good RPG group on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/communities/116965157741523529510

Write shit down, even quick scribbles and a note or two. It's good.

Other games worth a look at? Well, books, to start with - Featherstone's Solo Wargaming, Asquith's book (although it's not so good), and the Precis Intermedia book - although all three are mostly aimed at campaigns.

You'll find that a lot, because a lot of tactical play isn't that hard to just play both sides of - you get more fun with linked games and scenarios, or just naming the occasional lucky or unlucky bastard.

If you're incredibly lucky you might find a cheap copy of Grant's Programmed Wargames Scenarios.
>>
>>55171443
>>55166203

I read in one of the Lone Warriors about something called (approximately) 'Standard enemy behaviour'.
It's basically (as far as I can figure out) a bunch of guidelines on how a particular army formed and fought it's battles:

Like, in Classic Greece, Hoplites formed in single line, with the best ones on the right, and weakest on the Left (along with Cavalry) - skirmishers in front disrupting the enemy. Once the enemy's softened up, sacrifice to the gods, start singing the paean & charge with Hoplites.

With this, you have some idea of what the enemy will do before/during battle.
Unless, of course, you end up fighting Epaminondas or Phillip/Alexander.
>>
http://www.conquest-games.co.uk/index.php?cPath=31_45

These Normans fit the book description of Gondorians quite well.
>>
>>55171675
IIRC the Peter Pig Samurai set has a bunch of army formations, you pick one as part of the pre-battle sequence I think. It can be a good way to do things.

Oh, pro-tip for solo stuff: random events, possibly tied to terrain or features. Or just use the plot points from pulp alley, it's a good system.
>>
File: gondor11.jpg (232KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
gondor11.jpg
232KB, 1024x768px
>>55171687
Ebob's Normans famously make tasty Gondorians.
>>
File: headss_2.jpg (7KB, 160x136px) Image search: [Google]
headss_2.jpg
7KB, 160x136px
>>55172056
Also they're clearly aware of this because they now offer alternate heads on their store.
>>
>>55172056
>>55172066
If he posts your shit and replies to emails. Took him approx. 2 months to send me a sculpting set because two dollies wasn't in stock, but he couldn't just ask if I was okay with another two.

Also, those heads are really old.
>>
>>55172056
Problem is that the Gondorians have surcoats over their mail, Ebor's do not.
>>
>>55176274
Ebob*
>>
>>55171687
Interesting that you picked the metal ones when that same site sells boxes of 44 Norman infantry for £20 with a similar look.
>>
File: 15rhyflergroup3.jpg (118KB, 600x432px) Image search: [Google]
15rhyflergroup3.jpg
118KB, 600x432px
>>
File: 273.jpg (48KB, 700x404px) Image search: [Google]
273.jpg
48KB, 700x404px
>>
This is old news by now, I'm sure, but in trying to find out more - anything, really - about MERCS, I came across information that the rights to MYTH are being bought from MegaCon Games. They also let their forums die because they didn't feel like renewing the service plan, which is a bit of a pain, since it seems to have been the only place that ever had any useful info on the game.

Makes me wonder if I should buy up the MERCS stuff I like now and think about potential regret later? With how they seem to operate, their stuff might be gone for good once it sells out.
>>
>>55182146
i'm still mad about myth. i didn't give a shit about the game, but i'm still mad i never got my second wave shit. i was only there for that fucking twilight knight goddamnit and i still never got her.
>>
>>55182146
this is news to me. Megacon games is closing?
>>
>>55182146
>>55182400
Just read that update where they talked about it.

Kinda surprising, but at the same time it's about time they admitted some of their biggest faults. They do make damn fun games, and I really don't want to see MERCS vanish. They have always been terrible at the communication thing. I think if they had focused on just MERCS and Myth they could have avoided this. I'm glad that they have serious offers to keep the IPs going, but I worry that whatever company takes over may try to change too many things. I don't want to see MERCS 3.0 so soon just because another company now owns the IP and has the Megacon crew working as a design team.

Hopefully more news soon, but in the meantime I had better round out some of my MERCS squads sooner rather than later it seems.
>>
Frostgrave
>>
>>55182902
As far as I saw, only Myth seems to be being bought, and the other properties are staying with MCG - who appear to be in business for the time being.

Still, as I said earlier, it is spooking me into wanting to get my favorite 2-3 factions while I know I can still find them. MCG is such a weird company, business-wise, that I can't be sure any more how long I can be guaranteed to get their stuff. Also, a lot of people are saying that if you order from them and get a mispack, they just don't respond to any inquiry, even after months of support tickets. Really makes me worried.

Incidentally, I was thinking of Keizai Waza, Sefadu, and either EIC or ISS to start. Do those sound reasonably balanced among each other?
>>
>>55183061
>sefadu
I have bad news for you buddy...
>>
>>55183061
I haven't heard any mispack issues myself, but again they have always had communication issues.

The good thing is that the plastic starters get you all ghe models for that factions and the stat cards so investment isn't too high ($70 gets you two full factions and you can download the rules and go).

I find the factions to be all fairly well balanced. I haven't seen anything that was like "wow, this faction is OP" or "this faction is just garbage through and through." Each has their strengths and plays differently. Download the rules and take a look at their stats if you haven't already. The physical 2.0 book also has like tips on how guys work and what models they synergize with real well.

>>55183213
Don't say shit like that. You'll make him think they don't exist anymore or something
>>
File: Troll-1.jpg (43KB, 512x600px) Image search: [Google]
Troll-1.jpg
43KB, 512x600px
>>55133937
THERE'S A TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!
>>
>>55183354
Nah, I already knew about the corporation being dissolved via the tournament several years back. I did find the concept behind the tournament influencing the Megacons in the lore neat on some level.
>>
File: The-Great-Melvyn.jpg (85KB, 727x960px) Image search: [Google]
The-Great-Melvyn.jpg
85KB, 727x960px
>supporting meme "modern" companies who just want to write blogposts and scalp people via Kickstarter, when you could give that money to comfy cottage manufacturers
>>
>>55183748
>cottage manufacturers

You mean 50 year old social outcasts who have no idea how to make a functioning website?
>>
>>55183748
>>55183893
Grognard v sang jeune is a debate I'd rather not see begin in this general

Can't we just be excellent to each other?
>>
>>55183972
No. Stop being a faggot and quoting a movie from before you were born. Bill and Ted were retards.
>>
>>55183893

Let's not be getting sweaty now lad, but if you weren't aspergic yourself you'd realise you can just email them what you want and they'll send you a Paypal invoice, if it really is that bad.

>>55183972

It's not new companies per se, just that approach that gets me.

I know companies are there for profit, but I'd rather see ones like Hawk Wargames with a genuine labour-of-love succeed; than the latest shysters raking in nerd® dollars for their adaption of a popular TV/Video Game IP and not handling it all too well.
>>
>>55184125
At least the shysters can sculpt well
>>
>>55184136

That's a very broad statement.

Funny though, you do see it often where they only post grey 3d renders of their sculpts, which look great, then the actual miniatures arrive and they are nowhere near as good. Kickstarters do enable that to an extent.
>>
>>55184168
Don't forget they use cheap Chinese factories where the minis are floppier than your mother's dildo. Completely impossible to work with.
>>
>>55184426
Why do companies keep going for China? I know it's cheap up front, but the behind the scenes """fees""", delays, delays, shipping troubles, actually getting your shit produced, lackluster quality and all-around headache of dealing with the Chinese crops up every damn time
>Captcha: select chopsticks
>>
>>55184758
Because companies are run by people and people make bad decisions.
>>
>>55184758
Because China is so cheap no one can compete with them. China is just insane in how cheap it produces stuff, even through all the bullshit you're still saving huge amounts of money.
>>
>>55185153
I'd like to see cost breakdowns for producing in various EU countries vs China. I'm honestly curious, because the headaches practically every Kickstarter has to go through don't seem worth it from a cursory glance.
>>
>>55185259
Let me explain it in simple terms.

I can order an item from China and get it delivered to my house cheaper than I can buy it wholesale from a manufacture in the country I live in. That is the level of cheap China is. It's cheaper for someone to post something from China to Europe than it is for me to post something to a town away. They get charged a flat rate per package no matter the size.
>>
>>55172056
Anyone know if he discontinued his Mongol range?
>>
bomp
>>
>>55185307
Yes, but in that equation faulty and inconsistant production, customs (+wrecking part of your merchandise), your order getting pushed back in favor of a more profitable order, sudden voluntary "taxes" and similar issues are often not figured into. Upfront, nothing can compete with China, sure. After all that it's very well still cheaper, but I'd like to see actual breakdowns for production in the west vs China
>>
File: 20170902_154817.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170902_154817.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Played a fun trial game of Rogue Planet today, as a bunch of military grunts and Kamen Rider fought some Doom demons.

The Demons won in the end, with the Cyberdemon beating a motherfucker to death with another motherfucker after having thrown the Rider into a rocky outcrop.

I didn't use the proper hero rules as I didn't have any suitable pawn minis to hand, so my "leaders" were just Big Guys.
>>
>>55183354

I love MERCS, shame that the game is in limbo. Hopefully it continues to be supported by whoever gets the IP.

Honestly it's probably my favorite game around rules wise. There's a lot of variety, lots of depth, and the balance is good. There definitely is a tier list but it's pretty good balance wise.
>>
>>55186888
You're a unicorn. Someone with actual experience playing it.

Could the fabled FX rules be ported over other things?
>>
>>55187656
Absolutely, and I'd say they'd work great in most systems.

The long and the short of it is if an effect would cause forced movement or some kind of random movement (thrown object etcetera) you roll 2d6 and check this table:

No 4+s: 1 Success
1 4+: 2 Successes
2 4+s: 3 Successes
Any Double: 3 Successes + Twist

Each success lets the player who rolled move the thing that's moving a fixed distance in a direction of their choice until it hits something (the game says "three finger widths" but I say 2"). If you get a double, you can have the thing bounce or move erratically (the recommendation being roleplay it and do the thing that seems most cinematic).

It's a simple rule but it's very fun. I Rider Kicked a Cyberdemon into a Cacodemon.

Longer review here: https://ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2017/09/02/tabletop-game-review-rogue-planet-brent-spivey-bombshell-games/
>>
>>55169078
those are the best Chaos Warhouds of Tzeench i have ever seen. are they 28mm?
>>
>>55187586
Yeah, same here. I'd love to see some new models come out in the future to expand some of the factions.
>>
How do you deal with all your accumulated wargaming shit? I'm moving tomorrow and packing always makes me realise how much peripheral gumpf- bitz, space bases, half-finished projects, etc- I have.
Do you guys streamline it somehow, or just let it pile up?
>>
>>55189198
I don't deal with it. Just pack my shit around because if I'd start thinking about it, it'd make me depressed.
>>
>>55183503
fuck the tournament results, I still run sefadu.

>>55188617
Yes. They also have some the size of the Forgeworld Chaos Mastadon.
>>
>>55189198
I just moved and starter selling some of my stuff. Got rid of a few armies I'll never touch again as well as some assorted models I wasn't using.

>>55189357
Sefadu is still totally able to be run. They got dissolved as a Megacon, but now they're basically a roaming gang of killers.
>>
>>55189526
>Got rid of a few armies I'll never touch again as well as some assorted models I wasn't using.
How can someone have the heart to do that? Damn it's the army you worked for. Doesn't matter how much better you became or for what shitty game it was. It would hurt me so much to sell my minis.
>>
File: KIMG0180.jpg (253KB, 1281x744px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0180.jpg
253KB, 1281x744px
>>55189198
>How do you deal with all your accumulated wargaming shit? I'm moving tomorrow and packing always makes me realise how much peripheral gumpf- bitz, space bases, half-finished projects, etc- I have.
>Do you guys streamline it somehow, or just let it pile up?
"Loose" stuff, like flat-pack terrain and modular buildings, goes into plastic shoeboxes with or without urethane eggcrate foam for bump protection. Loose bits go into small plastic zip-lock bags, as do in-progress builds. Pic is of my terrain and bits collections on top of the bookcases.

Bitz get sorted into cheap Plano-style containers (I get most of mine from the Sporting Goods section at Wal-Mart or on sale from Hobby Lobby - mine is next to the grocery store anyway, so if you're willing to come in and buy one thing every few days that 40% coupon REALLY adds up). Labeling is simple masking tape + Sharpie, although I really do need to invest in a longer-term la belling solution. Masking tape adhesive dies after 3-8 years depending on how cheap it is.

*Armies* and painted stuff gets popped into Wal-mart pistol cases. Locking, cheap (~$25-30 for a bottom end one, ~$50 for a high-end TSA-approved version), and good cushioning.

I also have a few custom boxes, up shortly..
>>
File: IMG_20160810_131249_686.jpg (559KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_131249_686.jpg
559KB, 1632x1224px
>>55189762
<cont>
I have extremely severe ADHD, so I have to visually track projects-in-progress forget they exist. My desk is set up to facilitate that. Active projects are bagged and magnetized to the whiteboard on the back of my desk, and I write myself notes on it as I work to help keep track of what's going on - or draw colored keys to "grouped" projects and the like, stacking things in order of priority.
Tools are all set up within arm's reach and clearly labeled, because otherwise (again) I forget they're there.

This specific part of the setup has >easily< tripled my output and productivity.
>>
>>55189677
Two of them were armies I got for free which I wasn't gonna use. The other two were my Aleph army for Infinity and my War machine Mercenaries army. Neither were done.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_124644_434.jpg (190KB, 823x772px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_124644_434.jpg
190KB, 823x772px
>>55189762
>>55189890
Certain things like my BattleTech demo setup, get custom cases. I lurk Value Village, Goodwill, and other charity shops for hardcases, cut out and clean the interior, and then remount them with urethane eggcrate foam from one or another craft store. This one got sprayed with Krylon camo OD Green and then I did some quickie hand-cut stencil work. In retrospect I probably should have just printed them instead of free-handing, and I'll re-do it when I have time and fucks to give. The side says "Property of the Canopian Instutue of War, Unclassified Training Materials"..
>>
File: KIMG0185.jpg (283KB, 2041x796px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0185.jpg
283KB, 2041x796px
>>55189908
>>55189677
Yeah, I actually sold my Ulthwe Eldar off last year, and I'm in the process of dumping some Kroot Mercs, armorcast, and other stuff RN.

>>55189975
>>55189890
>>55189762
Last pic - quickie shot of the top shelf in my closet, where some of the deep-storage gear is hiding.

Total I spent about thirty bucks on shoeboxes (though a bunch of that got used to sort non-tabletop stuff), fifteen on eggcrate, and another $15-20 on hard cases and Tupperware stacking drawers. The ziplocks were like $4.50, because Daiso Japan is one of the greatest things ever.
>>
>>55190088
Some good ideas here, cheers anon.
>>
Bump
>>
File: IMG_6211.jpg (150KB, 612x859px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6211.jpg
150KB, 612x859px
>>55156529
Heres the beginnings of the warband, havent started any of the LoZ inspired models yet but theyll work their way in there eventually
>>
>>55184758
Because westerners aren't used to people just flat out lying to them in the world of business.

Never do business in China, its not the worth the fucking headache.
>>
File: 1918.jpg (66KB, 700x538px) Image search: [Google]
1918.jpg
66KB, 700x538px
>>
File: DSCF5363.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5363.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
I'll paint up these minotaurs for the group build. Old figs from Warhammer Quest.
>>
Speaking of the group build, I dug out my Praetorian Behemoth and found that I've actually got the basecoat on him done, so I'm going to pick out something else instead. I'm gonna do my Possessed from my mordheim Cult of the Possessed warband, he looks pretty monstrous.

In other news, I've nailed down a day and time for regular warzone demos at my local shop, I'll be doing Thursday evenings, until about 8:00pm. This is gonna be great, I'll be doing starter box demos on a nice little 3x3 jungle set up this week, then a Martian trench section next week, probably either Mercurian caverns or Luna craters the next and then cycle through it all. Really looking forward to this.
>>
>>55194258
reminds me of the Tharks.
>>
File: Monsters -2 Sep 2017.jpg (105KB, 923x637px) Image search: [Google]
Monsters -2 Sep 2017.jpg
105KB, 923x637px
>>55133937
>Also for those interested in a group build:
>Theme is "monster" and the timeframe 1st to 30th of September.
>Post a timestamped? pic of your unpainted mini (assembled and primed is fine).
Wellp, SandGrave anon here. Got my Avatar of Sokar and a bonus D&D Attack Wing Stone Giant in today.
Giant is getting a pretty extensive conversion, including a mace or heavy bronze khopis (can't decide which yet), as well as a head-scarf, (false?) beard, and properly Egyptian clothing. You can see where I already started cutting away his huge-ass leather skirt - this is gonna be all Egyptian sailcloth when I'm done. Avatar of Sokar is getting a pretty simple Construct paint-job, although I'm going to be trying to paint him Alabaster to see if I can pull off the shading.
>>
>>55198812
I knew I'd missed a visual reference from my periphery !
>>
Thoughts on Mantic's the walking dead all out war? I'm not much into the tv series or the comic but the game looks nice at least from what I've seen
>>
>>55201644
The game is pretty solid, I don't like the show but I do like the game.

I like how rather than being a strict co-op of man vs zombie it's a skirmish game with terrain (the undead) that will kill you and multiply if you start going loud.

Wouldn't advise going to organised play, there's some annoying as fuck stuff (silenced weapons, crossbows) that encourage camping and I think the vidya characters (con/KS exclusives) are a bit busted.
>>
>>55202018
Finally some insight.
Thanks, now I know how i shall approach the game once I have the funds.
Do you recommend core, kickstarter box or prelude to Woodbury?
>>
File: IMG_6213.jpg (45KB, 640x413px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6213.jpg
45KB, 640x413px
>>55194258
got this supposedly dwarven warrior on the way for the warband, cos of its pig-like head, you can see the beard poking out from underneath which gave me a rough idea for a set of rules

>dwarven adventurer finds enchanted pig helm
>believes it to be treasure of great power
>alas, tis cursed
>the dwarves will is bent to some malign power, it becomes a mindless slave of dark forces
>unit has some added buffs/resistances/bonus abilities as a result of this
>however, whenever it is in a certain radius of any 'good' characters, you must roll a test to see if the curse is broken
>once brok, it either switches to the saving players control (while losing pig helm power perks) - or performs some sort of kamikaze suicide strike on the nearest enemy unit

Thoughts on making something like this work? Ive not got a specific game in mind for this force so setting is flexible af.
>>
>>55202403
Kickstarter box is everything in one go with some nice bonuses, but it's a lot to buy in if you're not so sure about whether you'll like it.

The core is decent, Woodbury doesn't hold up on its own but if you get core + Woodbury you've got a good mix of stuff (that's how I got into the game and it worked out well).
>>
>>55195863
This, due to historical events(commie round ups/betrayals etc. the concept of being able to turn on someone on a dime/just drop everything and start afresh is embedded heavily, if you try to bring anything to bear on a Chinese businessman and he'll just close up shop and start a new company in a few months.

Also, pretyy sure spartan games partially died because chinese factory dudes held their cad files to ransom.
>>
>>55202770
Thanks bud. I'll go for core and if there's for spare I'll pick also woodbury. if not then might happen later.

you mentioned Organized play. what actually is given for official events?
>>
What would you guys recommend as a very casual game? As in something without much of a learning curve and where you won't get your ass kicked by default when going against someone who has been playing the thing for five years?
>>
>>55203187
That's one of the many, many reasons why CGL's Leviathans died. The CAD files being held ransom, I mean.
>>
>>55142627
I think ronin had a rough progress thing for campaigns and the author has a free monster expansion for it hwg has the pdf's.
>>
>>55204347
SoBaH, I'd say. You can't get much more straightforward than two stats and as long as you're playing at lower values, you can't go crazy with ability combos.
>>
>>55203215
The one I went to offered an equipment deck for the winner and alt art cards for runners up.
>>
Are sci-fi wargames appropriate for this thread?

I'm looking for some decent near-future wargames to drag my roommates into. Anything that can be played online over Maptools is a plus. For scale I'd prefer anywhere from platoon to company-level stuff, with a focus on infantry combat.
>>
>>55205898
Yes.

Look for Tomorrow's War.
>>
>>55206020
That's the same system as Force on Force isn't it?

Might be fun.
>>
File: Mass Effect - Terminus.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Mass Effect - Terminus.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
So I've finished Mass Effect: Terminus. Some more bits and pieces in the works for further down the line, but the core game's finished.

It ships with 3 complete factions: The Human Systems Alliance, the Citadel Council and the pirates and mercenaries of the Terminus Systems plus a robust character creation system.

Scenarios can be randomly generated with a combination of objectives/deployments and environmental effects creating considerable replayability.
>>
>>55206572
From a brief scan of available sci-fi miniatures, I reckon a mix of Infinity and Mantic stuff should give a reasonably decent impression the ME aesthetic. All my playtesting was done in Roll20 so I haven't needed to shop for anything.
>>
>>55206654
There's a guy who makes ME heads for the Mantic Enforcers. Admirality miniatures or something.
>>
General question. Would you guys prefer getting your minis premade or in bits that you assemble?
>>
>>55206949
Bits for 28mm and bigger, one-piece for anything below.
>>
>>55205524
That doesn't sound bad actually. Disregard what I asked for in my post, but do you prefer Advanced ASoBaH, or the regular version.
>>
>>55206572
This looks quite well done actually, you've clearly put a fair bit of work into this

How does it play, as in, lethality and pace.
>>
>>55209583
Combat's reasonably brutal, I wanted to promote some tactical thinking and use of cover - much like the games do in some senses. In theory most units will have pretty good survivability with armour and shields, but once you start introducing different ammunition types and stuff, it can get interesting.

When you start throwing tech and biotic powers into the mix, it's all about giving the players a big tactical toolbox to play around with.

In terms of pace, the missions are heavily objective focused. Hopefully things shouldn't bog down into slugging matches as both players should have ample tools to break deadlocks.
>>
File: DSCF2889.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2889.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>55206949
>General question. Would you guys prefer getting your minis premade or in bits that you assemble?
>>55206984
>Bits for 28mm and bigger, one-piece for anything below.
Eh, even 28mm seems a too small for bits...
Lego Minifigures are that height, and they're not exactly all that complex in construction.
>>
File: Sample forces.pdf (40KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Sample forces.pdf
40KB, 1x1px
>>55206572
Threw together a sample 250pt list using the Terminus Pirates force selector and the Ace creator.

It's a small but well balanced force with good mid-range firepower and a lot of tech/biotic punch from the two Aces.

The Combat Team's good for providing fire support and getting the characters out of any sticky situations.
>>
File: IMG_6777.jpg (1MB, 4032x1102px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6777.jpg
1MB, 4032x1102px
Is Warmaster /awg/? Or should I post in the WHFB general?
>>
File: Would you like to know more.jpg (231KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
Would you like to know more.jpg
231KB, 627x502px
>>55211690
I don't know, but I'm certainly interested.
>>
File: 6mm Marines and Necrons.jpg (155KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
6mm Marines and Necrons.jpg
155KB, 800x600px
>>55211690
Epic is alright here, so Warmaster should be fine.
>>
File: IMG_6496.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6496.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>55212164
Cool. I play epic as well.
>>
File: IMG_6626.jpg (746KB, 4019x1021px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6626.jpg
746KB, 4019x1021px
>>55212123
I'm currently working on Skaven and Bretonnians. The Warmaster Revolution community rules are really revitalizing the scene.
>>
>>55213841
>>55212164
where get minis
>>
>>55214732
Private caster that doesn't sell to people he doesn't know.
>>
>>55214849
well fuck you too hope you never get new players. I would kill to play epic and shitbags like you stop that happening
>>
>>55214873
lol u mad bro? I've already got 5 of my friends into Epic30k and ordered minis for them so I doubt I'll have a lack of people to play against.
>>
>>55214896
Why you have to be a cunt about it?
>>
>>55214906
Pretty sure if someone starts off with "fuck you too" they get to respond however they want.

Cunt.
>>
>>55214947
You're intentionally laughing at people being unable to play a game what the fucks wrong with you
>>
>>55214961
Who said you need the models to play the game? The rules are all literally free.
>>
>>55214973
you're a stuck up arrogant prick
>>
>>55214961
Not to mention several third party companies making 6mm scale modes. Try again retard.
>>
>>55214981
And you're calling anons on an image board names. So what?
>>
>>55214986
the only third party company is onslaught minis, the rest that do 6mm 40k have closed down. otherwise its buying original epic minis for a stupidly high price because theyre practically collectors items now.

>>55214998
I hope your mother dies a painful death fuck you
>>
>>55212164
Shit these are nice, where can I buy some?
>>
>>55215058
Vanguard, Trollz.cz on eBay. Try harder next time.
>>
>>55215071
Post your email. I'll send you contact info.
>>
>>55215083
Vanguard shut down retard
>>
>>55215100
[email protected]
>>
>>55215108
Wow I guess you're literally retarded.
>>
>>55215108
lol what? They literally posted their 3mm line a few days ago.
>>
>>55214849
The people he knows must include several notorious bloggers that are good at painting. Have fun with that.
>>
>>55215154
Who are these bloggers? I want to see more pics of their armies.
>>
>>55215180
A bunch of their dumb asses used photobucket to host, so good luck finding anything now, but I think some of Tacobat's stuff is still visible (http://imperialarmour.blogspot.ca/)
>>
>>55215242
Lol wow fags are begging on this guys blog too.
>>
File: cvhbn.png (480KB, 700x475px) Image search: [Google]
cvhbn.png
480KB, 700x475px
>>55215242
Fucking Christ, I hate Photobucket. Half of his stuff is dead.
>>
>>55215242
There's a plugin for Chrome and Firefox that enables seeing Photobucket pics.
>>
>>55215322
Hello 12 year old
>>
File: modern.png (401KB, 800x265px) Image search: [Google]
modern.png
401KB, 800x265px
>>55215322
I wish he'd do more modern stuff, personally, but his epic stuff was nice, won't lie.

Really can't blame people for wanting the hidden lores. Especially considering other companies get away with selling pretty-friggin-literal rip-offs of 40kek stuff. I dunno.

>>55215426
>enabling that shitty company
>>
>>55214732
>>55214873
>>55214906
>>55214961
>>55214981
>>55215058
>>55215071

Angry Anon et al. Even if you did manage to get an email, the caster won't even respond to you if she doesn't know you or someone she knows vouches for you so I good luck begging for contact info.
>>
>>55215482
then she deserves to die just like your mother
>>
>>55215516
Not the same anon dumbass.
>>
Is /awg/ usually such a shitty general?
>>
>>55215471
>add a free plugin to your browser to see all the pics instead of the "upgrade your account pic"
>Photobucket doesn't see a cent from this

I don't really see your problem with it.
>>
>>55215583
fucking die cunt dont question us
>>
File: 1461364596429.jpg (354KB, 1600x972px) Image search: [Google]
1461364596429.jpg
354KB, 1600x972px
Epic Forumware models look like shit. For the price of a forumware army from some asinine European recaster who thinks he's hot shit because he actively drives out anyone who plays with first or third party proxy models, you could buy an actual GW Epic army online or get a third-party proxy army (which probably look the best out of all three options as long as your not playing with the WAAC fags above who can't tolerate a tank not looking exactly like it does in their imaginations) for half as much, while also supporting a legitimate business that deserves the money.
>inb4 shills who wasted their money on recasts try and dispute this
>>
>>55215608
Forumware aren't recasts though? Unless you're buying recasts of forumware, then you're just a poorfag.

>inb4 anyone replies to this, I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>55215608
>calls others shills
>shills for GW and 3rd party companies

wew lad
>>
>>55215583
Nah. But Epic gets people's panties in a wad. And one guy just seems angry for trolling sake today.
>>
>>55215754
>shilling for GW
I can't shill for them if they don't sell the models anymore. I guess if anything I'd be shilling Ebay resellers.
>shilling for 3rd party companies
Who have a hard time remaining in business and providing high quality models, because the Epic community would rather you buy illegal models with half of the detail from some guy who's buddy buddy with everyone on the forum just because it "looks closer to GW".
>>
>>55215830
if you're trying to prove your point, don't post shit looking models mate.
>>
File: SAM_1369.jpg (51KB, 448x307px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1369.jpg
51KB, 448x307px
>>55215847
>forumware can't even compete with decades old GW models
I'm sorry you wasted your money anon.
>>
>>55215900
I'm sorry you have bad taste in models.
>>
File: Epic_Tau.jpg (77KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Epic_Tau.jpg
77KB, 600x337px
>>55215917
I'd rather have shit taste than the diarrhea taste people must have to justify buying ugly illegal models.
>>
>>55215984
Anon please, you're just embarrassing yourself and this general now.
>>
>>55215984
you really do sound like a connoisseur of shit anon.
>>
File: 7674647.jpg (23KB, 249x214px) Image search: [Google]
7674647.jpg
23KB, 249x214px
>>55216023
>when tac command leaves the safespace
>>55216101
Sorry to disappoint, but you'd need to find a forum-ware purchaser for that kind of expertise.
>>
File: Abyssal starter.jpg (404KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Abyssal starter.jpg
404KB, 1000x1000px
Wait, I thought the starter came with molochs.
It's nice of them to replace them with the more expensive kit I guess.
>>
>>55216133
Nah forumware is great, otherwise you wouldn't have fags in this thread getting all PMS-sy about not getting contact info.
>>
Epic should probably go and stay go.

>>55215594
Perhaps everyone should just get rid of photobucket and use literally any other image hosting service.
>>
Cheapest place in the UK to pick up Halo minis from Spartan?
>>
>>55216882
Spartan's dead jim
>>
>>55217017
Which means now WOULD be the time tosnatch up the minis, before their end of production leads to scarcity.
>>
>>55206667
Just did a search, no ME heads on his blog.
>>
>>55217017
I know, their store is gone but other places have stock and I want to purchase some of it.
>>
>>55215242

Photobucket deserve taking round the back and shooting, I hope they liquidate.

Ruined so many cool old painting logs on places like Warseer.
>>
OK /awg/ I'm the guy who was talking about Rogue Planet. I want to make a cyberpunk anime style force to go against riot cops and mechs. How would you convert stuff like Boomers/biotech horrors in 28mm? Moonraker has a decent Guyver knockoff, I have the old Anima Tactics Kamen Rider mini, but what else is there?

I was thinking starting with Genestealer Cultists with skull heads and Heavy Gear bitz, or mixing Dark Eldar stuff, Rat Ogres and mechanical parts.
>>
File: phase4_link.jpg (92KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
phase4_link.jpg
92KB, 800x500px
>>55219264
The bad guys from Sedition Wars might work, you'd probably have to look at ebay though.
>>
>>55219323
I think my LGS has a box of that squirrelled away, I should have a look.
>>
File: IMG_2336.jpg (52KB, 953x761px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2336.jpg
52KB, 953x761px
I did not know there was a mini of Judge Fish. It's the only JD story arc I've read - I kinda want it now.
>>
How do people feel about the use of named characters in a game heavily tied to a specific setting? Is the occasionally named figure okay for narrative, or do you feel its either all in like how games like Malifaux are heavily storied or none at all?

And if you're okay with named characters, what kind of impact do you like them to have? Just a nice narrative addition that is self-contained, or a force multiplier that can affect how the army is usually played?
>>
>>55220276
I like them how older editions of Warhammer used to do them.

Which is to say they were expensive, required your opponents consent, but were powerful. They weren't really balanced because the idea was to use them in more narrative scenarios. Dropzone Commander treats it's named characters in the same way (they're all OP and you can't use them in tournaments).

I don't really like games that force you to use named characters (like Warmahordes for example) because it takes away from the sense of 'my dudes' which I like.
>>
>>55216554
And how does that solve the countless "upgrade your account" pics we have now? Especially when hundreds of pics were lost per user that can't be reclaimed.

But sure, go ahead and be angry about a plugin that only makes your life easier. If that's what makes you happy...
>>
>>55214732
Theres a few companies that do proxies

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qbdKBovf9wLb8g_Vka2ntlTzvkFZ1_9VFqLvfAoCda8/mobilebasic

This guide lists a few
>>
>>55220358
I'm working on a homebrew with a few ideas for narrative characters, one of which, as a homage in the setting theme, is a one man army. I'm just not sure if its a good idea or not, though.
>>
>>55220276
>>55220358
Here's the thing with characters: If they exist, people will want to use them, even if they are meant for narrative scenarios. The fewest people outside of historicals play actual narrative scenarios, but they'll still want to field their favourite characters and if they are unbalanced, they'll be annoyed and themand them be made more playable.

Honestly, the way I'd handle it is to have no rules for named characters, but an easy way to build an appropriate representation. To stick with WHFB here: You don't need rules for Marius Leitdorf if you just have a generic Elector Count hero you can deck out to be your favourite Elector Count. Other than that.
To complement that, I'd feature nameds in premade scenarios only. Something along the lines of
>The Final Battle of Blackfire Pass
>Death of the Mad Count: The Empire's General MUST be an Elector Count with the following additional rules...

That way, the character is clearly married to the scenario. If you absolutely want to use him outside of that, you know what you're getting into.
>>
Anyone had any good results with DecoArt Americana paints, or at least know if they're acceptable enough?

I lost all my supplies due to flooding and I'm too cash strapped for Citadel levels of cost.

Here's a link example of what I'd be buying https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-Art-Americana-All-Purpose-kg-Gloss/dp/B004VD4238
>>
>>55215583
/awg/'s easy to bait
>>
File: 016455120309_Z.jpg (89KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
016455120309_Z.jpg
89KB, 1000x1000px
>>55222711
Ignore that amazon link I was using it as an example. That was their gloss, I'm buying individual bottles like this.
>>
>>55222711
Eeeh, I'd stay away unless you happen to be making terrain (even then, Delta Ceramcoat; they're more consistent). Consider Vallejo (or maybe just back burner your hobbies for a second).
>>
>>55224498

I get ya, fair enough. I just saw Americana about as a feasible option but I guess nothing really replaces official miniature paint.
>>
Speaking of paint, I've got the base and shader Citadel sets, do I really need layer and dry? Couldn't I just add a bit of white to my base paints and achieve highlights that way?
>>
File: 20170904_214520.jpg (2MB, 1932x2226px) Image search: [Google]
20170904_214520.jpg
2MB, 1932x2226px
>>55133937
And painting started.
>>
>>55222711
>I'm too cash strapped for Citadel levels of cost.
recently got back into painting after a 7 year hiatus.
Buy vallejo. Bigger pots for smaller prices and the quality is great.
Don't regret loading up on vallejo instead of citadel. And I'm pretty sure unlike the gw pots the vallejo ones will not dry out. I had other pots in the eyedropper bottle for years and they are fine. The GW stuff all dried up, even when stored upside down. Mind you I have several older generations of GW pots here only a few newer ones.
But still imo citadel is a waste of money since you get smaller bottles and the quality is just as good elsewhere. Few exceptions for washes and stuff like that maybe, but generally the paints are not worth what they are asking, especially if you have a look what at what else is on the market.
>>
>>55225415
White isn't great for highlighting most colours, it will make them highly pastel.

For instance, reds should be highlighted by adding yellow. It's fairly straightforward colour theory and you should be able to find charts and stuff online.
>>
>>55225665

Thanks for the tip, but still do you think it is necessary to get the Layer and Dry Citadel sets? Base and Shade (Wash) are definitely important.
>>
>>55225620

I tend to agree with this Anon, the Vallejo paints are based. I even think their washes are good too, but some people are on the fence. Nuln oil is the standard for many folks.
>>
>>55225813

>washes are good
I wouldn't go that far.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/05/hobby-comparing-flesh-washes-youll-be-surprised.html
>>
>>55225775
I don't use citadel paints so I can't comment.

Like these anons
>>55225620
>>55225813
I use mostly vallejo with some Army painter.
>>
>>55220276
I don't want them in, unless its a campaign and a GM is doing something special.

I really like my minis being my dudes.
>>
>>55222416
If I wanted to take a special character, I always just re-named and re-fluffed them for my army. I usually convertrf a model for them too. Does no one else do this?
>>
Why the fuck is painting mantic's figures? They look fucking terrible in the pictures. I imagine they paint up nicely thought
>>
Can someone explain the differences between priming Black or White?

Everyone seems to be priming Black, doesn't it make more sense to prime White?
>>
>>55227058
Black acts as a basic shading layer.

Of course, true patricians prime in grey.
>>
>>55214873
I don't want to drag this thread down but I love Epic, I'm really not a massive fan of all the "shrink ray" stuff but if you really want to get your hands on that stuff you have to be active within the community.
Get an army old stuff or proxy stuff (which I love) go to events, post on the taccoms and the facebook groups. Thats basically what I did, now I have access to all that stuff.
Don't blame people for being cagey it only takes one person to shut these producers down.
>>
>>55227538

I wouldn't sweat it anon, you're right that they have to be careful. >>55214873 is hopefully trolling but if not he's of the type used to braindead GW-style convenience
>>
>>55225775
You don't need either. If you are going to drybrush a lot of with specific colour then a pot of dry is worth it otherwise just use normal paint to drybrush. Layer paints are nice to have if you're highlighting a lot and don't want to mix the highlight colour.

Also just because GW calls them base and shade doesn't mean you can't highlight with base and base with layer. I just buy from the base and layer ranges if it's the colour I want. Just thin and do multiple coats as needed.

Lastly since you mentioned sets, once you have the basic colours just buy variations of them individually based on need. Otherwise you could end up wasting a lot of money on paint you won't use.
>>
>>55228794

I know this sounds really cheap, but could I dry brush with a normal metallic acrylic paint?
>>
>>55227538
Im not american there are no events here
>>
>>55227058
If you miss a spot when primed back then you won't see it, if you miss a spot when it's primed white then you will.

Black allows for richer dark colours where as white allows for richer light colours. It's very difficult to get an eye popping yellow with black but it's very difficult to get a moody grey with white.

Ultimately it's about style. Learn what works for your style.

>>55225775
GW's paint is just about how thin they are. You would be better off using a paint range like Vallejo which keeps a consistent thickness and learn to thin yourself.
>>
>>55228802
If you mean non-miniature acrylic paint then while I've never tried any I don't see why not. The main complaint I see levelled against them is they're often too thick and don't thin well. Neither is a problem when you're drybrushing.
>>
>>55229643
>>55228794

Thanks for the wisdom. I ironically spent near enough what the official GW paint kits cost in alternative paint supplies, at least in a larger quantity than 7ml and with more colour variation.
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.