[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here bought a 3d printer to use for dnd minis? Which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6KB, 225x225px
Has anyone here bought a 3d printer to use for dnd minis? Which printer did you buy? How did it work? Where did you find patterns?
>>
I often wonder if I could get a game of Necromunda going, if I setup one of these and got the right 3D scans....
>>
>>55123504
Consumer affordable 3d printing, say machine under 5 grand, still doesn't have the level of detail to produce quality miniatures. It's entirely sufficient (if perhaps time consuming) for all sorts of terrain though.
>>
bumping because me and my roommate have been talking about this for the past month
>>
It will happen in the year of the Linux desktop™
>>
>>55123464
Heres a video of a guy who owns one talking about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNP6G47IS3k
He doesnt say which he owns but he says he spent 700 bucks he also shows a few miniatures which look actually not awful. I myself wouldn't mind making a small army of a race I would never buy like eldar but 700 bucks is hard to justify for that. As this anon says>>55123575 its pretty great for terrain though and may be worth buying a printer just for tables if you organize tourneys or something since it comes to about 30 bucks a table for the terrain. Though given how fast 3d printing is becoming better and cheaper in 3-5 years it may actually just be better to 3d print everything. If you want a printer if you 3d model yourself or you like printing cheap nick nacks go ahead just dont get your hopes to high without dropping at least a grand.
>>
>>55123464
Yes. I bought the prusa i3 mk2

I love it for my DnD minis. I get all the monsters I need each week. They look very good, considering they cost my pennies for each. They are layered, and dont look as good as cast models, but for what I want, its fantastic.
>>
File: 20170829_200843.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170829_200843.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I have a lulzbot TAZ 5, and it's pretty good. The miniatures are good if not great quality, definitely servicible- but you need to do a lot of fiddling with making sure your printer and your settings are calibrated just right and will probably need to do some cleanup eith an xacto/sandpaper afterwards. Terrain, on the other hand, is amazing. Stl files for modular dungeon tiles that snap together with either clips or magnets are readily available and are probably the best thing I've used so far for this purpose.

Check thingiverse and shapeways for models. The lulzbot is pretty expensive, so a more cost efficient printer would be the prusa i3. If you're willing to diy and build the printer yourself, the best current design I know of is probably the Voron.
>>
My friend got one for this purpose a couple months ago. We spent a while calibrating it and trying to get the settings right, but things are turning out pretty good.
It really all comes down to your settings and how long it takes to print. Some prints took like 5 hours.
only thing that hasn't worked is he tried to print a gnome mini for my girlfriend. the legs were too skinny and always snap.

He get all the models off of thingiverse.
>>
File: Stroma V.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Stroma V.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
ok so I am going to be running a campaign set during the first succession wars and was wondering what TR would be best to go with, sorry for shit question i'm new here
>>
>>55130791
well fuck me, wrong thread. end me
>>
>>55123464
Thought about it for terrain. But I don't think they're good enough for minis yet. >>55128456
Nice.
>>
Tronxy p802 $180
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.