[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Some friends and I are planning to run a Castlevania/Darksouls/Borne

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: ravenloft.jpg (125KB, 1079x565px) Image search: [Google]
ravenloft.jpg
125KB, 1079x565px
Some friends and I are planning to run a Castlevania/Darksouls/Borne themed tabletop RPG. We were planning to use DnD 3.5 with Ravenloft, but I'm posting here to get some other opinions. Most of us have limited tabletop experience, having played a bit of 3.5 previously. Anybody know a system that might work better for this gothic horror game?
>>
Eh, 3.5 is fine. You could use the whole "casters OP" to emphasize the themes of your source material.
>>
>>55100438
Go OSR, something 1e or BECMI based maybe. It'll be fairly familiar since it's just Old D&D but you won't have as much "Everyone is a goddamn superhero... except for the Fighter, who is the only one with any actual chance of dying" problem.
>>
A friend of mine from school ran a Dark Souls game that used Dread. It was a good way to represent how often you get worked.
>>
>>55100515
seconding this

BFRPG is D&D and free and a lot more robust than the ivory tower of cards of 3.5
>>
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

At first I was just thinking thematically with Ravenloft but I think a system that plays on the the hardcore nature of DS or the horror elements would be a great addition.

As a first time DM I just basically wanted a system I was used to for spinning an interesting story but I'll check out Dread and would be open to any other system that might fit the mechanics of Dark Souls and Bloodborne better.

Thanks again!
>>
File: C_mcD_BVoAEMF3G.jpg (91KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
C_mcD_BVoAEMF3G.jpg
91KB, 500x667px
>>55100567
>any other system that might fit the mechanics of Dark Souls and Bloodborne better.
How's your Japanese?
>>
>>55100585
That's pretty cool but yeah can't read Japanese.

It does give me an idea though... I wonder how I could mash the Dark Souls boardgame into the combat of an RPG? The combat mechanics are great and sufficiently souls-like.
>>
I don't know why I never looked before but a thread on reddit where someone asked about a Dark Souls RPG someone suggested Dungeon World.

So far this Dungeon World game sounds pretty awesome and very fitting for my purpose. I'm definitely going to read more into it, but what do you guys think?

Dread, while it sounds really fun, doesn't sound like it would work for what I was looking for. I'm definitely down for trying D&D 1e or BFRPG too. Either way I'll be reading up on this in the coming days and weeks and will post what I end up with.

Thanks for the help so far!
>>
>>55100687
DW is okay. It's not the best PbtA game, but it works and can support your theme.

Dread is gimmicky, better fit for horror stuff.

>>55100585
Actually a pretty shitty system from what I remember when a JP speaking anon translated it/scanned some pages. TTRPG tie-ins in JP are usually dime a dozen mass produced stuff.
>>
>>55100900
>Actually a pretty shitty system from what I remember when a JP speaking anon translated it/scanned some pages.
The system is actually fine, the problem is anons expecting it to be anything more than a Dark Souls RPG for some retarded reason.
>>
File: NightWalken.png (54KB, 130x201px)
NightWalken.png
54KB, 130x201px
>>55100438
If you're using 3.5's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, which is fine on it's own, Improve the Experience with Sword and Sorceries Ravenloft (3rd edition-3pointfive) books, which are 2e's Ravenloft rules for 3.5, make use of the Madness table from Lords of Madness, Taint Table from heroes of horror, and the Infernal Corruption Table from Fiendish Codex 2, in addition to the Ravenloft stuff from S&S. You'll also want the Libris Mortis.
>>
File: Kanchelsisx2.png (782KB, 640x916px) Image search: [Google]
Kanchelsisx2.png
782KB, 640x916px
>>55102803
Here's a Vola, I've included some 2e content as S&S isn't explicitly complete in terms of stuff it adapted from 2e, as it is missing some of the abilities Vampires get via age categories. Additionally, I would like you to read up on D&D's Alienist prestige class, and the madness domain offered by Tharizdun and the Dragon Below from Eberron and DMG#330's Far Realm article. Included is the Ravenloft timeline, a DMG article with WoTC's official 2e Ravenloft Strahd stats for 3.5, and the one that depicts the world serpent inn beign able to access the demiplane of dread, and Strahd's top D&D villains entry.

I have also provided the Vampire: Bloodlines article for the Horror, Shadow, and Savage Vampire, and the Kassian Vampire templates. There is also an article for the spells used by that Mad Scientist who made Cerbral vampires in a DMG article, though I've forgotten it's placement. This also contains pretty much all of 3e's vampire templates, which you will want, and other stuff volafiledotorgslashrslashdgycxz9m

Also, fuck this website, this is not spam, it's a post, what, you fucking think use of fullstops in FUCKING SPAM? Eat shit.
>>
I'd use GURPS or BRP. 3.5 completely lacks the combat depth and constant risk of dying of the latter two.
>>
>>55102872
Other content includes-
Stuff on the Union of Eclipses, for Vlad Tolenkov. (Queen of the Demonweb pits for depiction of the Nightworld of Vlad Tolenkov from 1e, is important in 3.5 as this dude is now shagging lolth)
>>
>>55100438
if the only tool you guys have is 3.5, that's a good call there.

I'd suggest warhammer 2ed or zweihander if you're all willing to learn a new system, IMO there's very rearely anyone willing to learn a new system alongside anything they already know. Personally had lots of trouble switching my friends from 3.5 to Pathfinder, out of all the things.
Now I just homebrew my system
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.