[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make a setting in the style of Magic the Gathering?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: EN_Ravnica_Header.jpg (361KB, 1920x1120px) Image search: [Google]
EN_Ravnica_Header.jpg
361KB, 1920x1120px
How do you make a setting in the style of Magic the Gathering? Is it as simple as taking five or so color aspects and then building factions and races to match each one? There are some YouTube videos I'll be watching, looks like they do panels at PAX, but I don't really into MTG in general so I'd appreciate some design tips and nuances from people more experienced in it.

It's going to be for D&D 5e, so I'll be reading the Planeshift supplements as well.
>>
What do you mean? Is it planes or other dimensions like that?
>>
I mean, the colors really are just closer to personality types. Everyone is technically able to use all colors but the stronger character traits dictate your kind of magic you can do. Honorable knight does white magic. Nerd and curious Rogue wizard will do blue. A resourceful and practical person may act with black magic since it's the least merciful.

If you want factions then look into Ravnica, Alara, or Tarkir.
>>
>>55098701
>Is it as simple as taking five or so color aspects and then building factions and races to match each one?

Buh? Have you ever even played MtG?
>>
>>55098701
First the colors coincide with personality, but only elementals, angels, and other things made of pure mana are 100% a single color.

Second, magic is fueled by memories and experiences, powered by the land, and honed by practice.

Third, each plane doesn't have everything. Some lack goblins, or elves, or humans. All the races have subtle differences from plane to plane, so you have a lot of leeway on changing shit.

Fourth, colors aren't morality, per say. Black isn't evil. White isn't good. In the same way red characters aren't all thoughtless idiots and blue characters have feelings. All the colors are a sliding scale of good and bad, and all playable races should technically have aspects of all colors.

And as far as your factions go, do what you want. Ravnica, Tarkir, and Alara split their factions pretty clearly by uniform color groupings. On the other hand Lorwyn had a combination of allied and enemy color groupings, Domiaria was more color-aligned countries and city-states, and all factions can have subfactions (Sultai's clans and Black New Phyrexia's different Thranes).
>>
>>55098701
You need to read color pie anon.

White is lawful and rather militaristic. Most of the time they're 'heroic'. But they can also become fascist and pig headed rigid.

Blue is intellectual and logical. They do research and have nice access to technology. But sometimes they're too self absorbed with research.

Red is passionate and furious. They're the barbarian, the dumb muscle, the bully. But sometimes you want that in your settings. The red protagonist is almost always a freedom fighter.

Black is parasitic. They thrive by other people weakening. That's why they're so 'evil'. One of the appeal to black is their honesty. They are honest about being ambitious and want to have selfish profit for themselves.

Green is instinct and natural order. They're animal in literal sense. This translate into nature and beast and what have you. Other time when nature is not really involved the green wants harmony in their enviroment.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.