[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is up /tg/, I am looking for two things. a) Me and my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6

File: wargaming.jpg (375KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
wargaming.jpg
375KB, 1024x683px
What is up /tg/, I am looking for two things.

a) Me and my friends are interested in the concept of wargames (we're talking the big stuff, not 40k-scale), but aren't overly excited about WW2. Are there any good, contemporary wargames that are in a different setting? We're predominantly interested in sci-fi, but we ain't all that picky.

b) We like RPGs as well, and we're wondering if there's an RPG system where the players are predominantly commanders and combat is primarily centered on large scale wargame-y stuff.

So anything on a big ol' grid where you're pushing dudes around and NOT fighting ze germans is what we're looking for.
>>
File: 20x20 City001 ISO.png (2MB, 996x1148px) Image search: [Google]
20x20 City001 ISO.png
2MB, 996x1148px
>>55085813
Battletech has a nice wargame / RPG combination, the rules were built around mech combat, but it runs combined arms battles just fine

If you'd like to know more, See the BTG, there's a link to the books in the OP, and the folks there are usually really helpful at introducing people to the game / setting
>>55073818
>>
File: pic272030_md.jpg (58KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
pic272030_md.jpg
58KB, 500x333px
>>55085813
A Line in the Sand was my first contact with traditional games, way back. It was a pretty good game with neat negotiation mechanics.
>>
>>55085813
Warmaster or Epic maybe? Those both go for much larger scale and are warhammer themed.
>>
>>55088248
Nevermind, I missed that you wanted a grid game and I don't know many of those.
>>
File: pic3214.jpg (33KB, 308x380px) Image search: [Google]
pic3214.jpg
33KB, 308x380px
If you like sci-fi, the old Starship Troopers wargame is good. It would be pretty easy to incorporate some RPG elements, i think.
>>
ACKS Domains at War with battles is exactly what you are looking for OP.
>>
Just tack on any RPG system.

Out of the mass battles you are your characters living your life. Once the battles start you bust out the wargame and roleplay your characters as commanders.
>>
File: Ogre Pocket Edition.jpg (101KB, 345x650px) Image search: [Google]
Ogre Pocket Edition.jpg
101KB, 345x650px
>>55085813
OGRE - got a modest bit of back story and articles for it, and is a solid classic 'Hex & Chit' style war game.
>>
>>55092221
Ogre's also cheap on Amazon right now. $25~ is totally worth it for that game.
>>
File: Fragged_Empire_Cover_grande.jpg (63KB, 464x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fragged_Empire_Cover_grande.jpg
63KB, 464x600px
>>55085813
My only examples are skirmish level but in case you're interested, here goes.
Rogue Stars is a skirmish level scifi game commanding 4-6 dudes who you kit out with equipment and skills. It's not grid based but the books imply that campaigns with an overarching story work well. There are some games on YouTube if you want to see it in action.

Fragged Empire is definitely an RPG rather than a wargame but combat is all grid and mini based. Good fun but requires a GM unless you figure out a way of sharing the love and making it a communal thing.

Both PDFs are in the PDF share thread
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.