[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was thinking about making some custom MTG cards for a 40k themed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: MTG40k.png (1MB, 1364x2460px) Image search: [Google]
MTG40k.png
1MB, 1364x2460px
I was thinking about making some custom MTG cards for a 40k themed set. I felt the first thing was to address where the factions of 40k would philosophically fall into the colors.

The central divide would be the Order/Disorder conflict between white and red, with Imperium aligned factions falling into former and Chaos into the latter.

The shiftiness, farsightedness and scumbaggery of the Eldar make them a good fit for blue.
Tyranids are green, obviously.
Black, insofar as it is defined by ruthlessness, ambition, and spookiness, seemed like a good fit for the necrons. However, I felt that jamming too many of the factions into the set would simply muddle things, where a stronger focus on the larger ones might make for a more cohesive experience. For the same reason I'd lose the Tau, although I'd place them in Bant.

With the central conflict being IoM vs. Chaos, I was considering having CSM focused in Black with Chaos Daemons more focused in Red.
>>
File: MTG40k2.png (162KB, 1612x2716px) Image search: [Google]
MTG40k2.png
162KB, 1612x2716px
As for the two-color combos,
I'd have UB and UG as the Dark Eldar and the Exodites, respectively.
Orks are an easy fit for RG.
Admech and Inquisition would fall into WU and WB.

The Big 4:
Khorne - R, Blood for the Blood etc.
Nurgle - BG, Fear of/Acceptance of Death
Tzeentch - UR, Schemes upon Schemes upon...
Slaanesh - BR, Hedonism

I would have liked to tie them all to red, but I cannot conceive of Nurgle being anything but BG. At least in this case, every non-white color is represnted.

My last concern is who to slot into WG and WR. My gut reaction is that the Imperial Guard would fall in WR while the Space Marines would be left with WG, which seems off to me.
Where would you all put SM?

Native planeswalker would be an Ork Weirdboy who's unable to explain what he's seen to his warband, who believe he's just seen visions of new places to fight in.
Visiting planeswalkers would be Ob Nixilis, who has fun with a chaos warband that thinks he's a normal demon, and Jace, who joins an inquisitor who's convinced he's a powerful psyker whose lost his mind.
>>
>>55085434
Personally seeing IG as WG, seeing as how an IG deck would be tokens+giant vehicles. On a side note, UG should probably be tau/kroot.
>>
>>55085412
OI YA GIT! GREEN IZ FOR DA ORKZ!
>>
>>55085749
>UG should probably be tau/kroot.
I don't know, Tau I feel should have some blue in there - maybe replacing Exoidites who are kind of a nothing anyway.

I'd say crons should be Blue/Black, but DE fit that even more so idk.

Agree on WG for IG though, and space marines preference for shock attacks and drop strikes fits the R part of RW fine
>>
>>55086012
Dark so far would be best depicted if you add red as a third color, opening UB to necrons
>>
>>55087243
Dark eldar*
>>
>>55085434
Switch IG and SM.
>>
>>55085434
Deldar are mono black

Necrons are black and blue.
>>
>>55085749
>>55087414
I can see IG as WG, but the problem is that would leave SM as WR, and that color combination doesn't typically have the midrangey big dudes that space marines would naturally be, nor would there be a flavorful fit for the low cost shitters necessary in the combination. Perhaps leave IG as monowhite, and have their vehicles plus SM merged in some bastard combination of WGR.

>>55085771
BUT IF THEY'RE ALSO RED DEY'LL GO FASTA

>>55086012
I suppose Tau might be a better fit for UG, though I worry that there would not be enough space for them to be worthwhile while they would just muddle the identity of the rest of the set. Exodites, despite being less important, at least tie in to Eldar as a primary faction as well as the MTG convention of green elves. The idea being that BUG deck would be a variety of Eldar as opposed to a mash of Eldar, Necrons, and Tau.

Splitting green between 4 factions is getting its identity schizophrenic.
>>
>>55088150
>>55087243
DEldar as blue tie in with the rest of the Eldar and also because they're tricksy bastards. Red might work for them though.

The artifacts I imagined would be IG vehicles and bolters and guns that'd have Tim-like effects, which would go along with the go-wide strategies that'd be supported by IG weenies and Orks. Perhaps the necrons could exist as mono-black artifact creatures.

>>55086012
>Agree on WG for IG though, and space marines preference for shock attacks and drop strikes fits the R part of RW fine

Ooh, I didn't consider that angle for the SM. That could work.
>>
If faction bloat is a problem, we could split the factions into blocks. One block for chaos VS Imperium, the other for Xenos VS Imperium.
>>
>>55093949
You mean sets, right?
>>
>>55094508
Yeah, my bad.
>>
Bumping for keyword ideas
>>
Couple thoughts:

Tyranids are definitely UG, due to their focus on adaptation and evolution, and their advanced usage of psychic powers.

Orks are R to the core, edging into G and B in places.
>>
>>55094823
While the hive mind as a concept might be U in nature the average tyranid mook wouldn't be.

Orks fit into RG as the hyper-aggressive faction that can still pump out huge dudes. In addition, they're very green on account of they act only upon their nature and instincts.
>>
>>55094781
Orks: Mob Rule - If at least 3 Orks are in play, all Orks get ~ (Say, +1/+1). If at least 6 Orks are in play, all Orks get ~(+3/+3). If 10, indestructible. With benefits varying.

IG Commissar - Tap,cost, and sac one of your dudes: Rest of them get indestructible.

Harlequins - Ninjutsu, but renamed
>>
Necrons aught to be WBU. At least Newcrons.
>>
>>55094781
Smite: When [something] happens, deal 2 damage to target creature or player.

Deepstrike X: Summon a creature from your hand with CMC X or less. It enters the battlefield tapped.

Tribute X: Activate tribute during your end step if at least X creatures have died this turn. If you fail to activate tribute, some negative affect triggers.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.