[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So let's settle this once and for all : Is chess the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: That's a chess board alright.jpg (45KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
That's a chess board alright.jpg
45KB, 640x360px
So let's settle this once and for all : Is chess the best boardgame ever made?
>>
>>55073757
No
>>
Which edition?
>>
>>55073785
4th. The answer is always 4th.
>>
>>55073757
Queen OP plz nerf
>>
>>55073785
Current "standard" edition. En Passant, Castling, all that. I do like some variants, but this is specifically about what would be considered vanilla chess.
>>
A computer beat the greatest of the humans champions long ago with brute force, therefore it is not. Go on the other hand took more creative programming (simulated intuition).
>>
>>55073819
So you're saying the criteria for what makes a game great is whether the best players can consistently beat AI?
>>
White always gets to go first, which is a pretty bad balancing problem. Chess has been out for centuries and that still hasn't been addressed.
>>
File: tips glasses.jpg (76KB, 498x740px) Image search: [Google]
tips glasses.jpg
76KB, 498x740px
Well, it's old as hell and still played actively, easy to learn, near-impossible to master, has no luck whatsoever, and it's basically impossible to find someone who doesn't know about chess without visiting deep Africa or the Antarctic. What more criteria do you need?
>>
>>55073819
You do realize that AlphaGo is undefeated by any human, and has beaten WC Go players, right?
>>
>>55073757
>Best Boardgame
>not Monopoly or Risk

its like you dont live off the rage of others anon
>>
File: go-game.jpg (27KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
go-game.jpg
27KB, 400x267px
*传送后面你*
>>
File: IMG_1070.jpg (262KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1070.jpg
262KB, 1600x1200px
>>55074093
>Monopoly
>Risk
You are like little baby. Everyone knows the greatest board game ever is the Campaign for North Africa.
>>
>>55074110
was referring to the more likely games you can convince people to actually play and then watch them get mad after a 4 hour game
theres legions of great board games that the average person wont play most of the time because they have never heard of them and its sad
>>
>>55074056
I thought one of the top Go players managed to win one in four against it?
>>
>>55073810
It's shit. 2e was superior in all respects.
>>
>>55074251
It won four out of five against a human in 2016, and three out of three (albeit just barely in one match, where technically I think it only won by half a point when it needed 4 for it to count by Chinese Go rules) against a human in 2017 (who retired rather than play to completion, and it was rated as far more intelligent/powerful than the 2016 version), after which it was retired.
>>
>>55074293
I do actually like Chess 2 a lot more, yeah. But this ain't the thread about that.
>>
File: serveimage (1).jpg (7KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (1).jpg
7KB, 221x228px
>>55073757
This is the best boardgame of all time.
>>
>>55074953
It's funny that I'm actually rewatching my way through Trek, currently on TNG S3. Kirk still best Captaindo.

But uh, I read the rules for that once, it seems like a bunch of horseshit.
>>
>>55073919
>basically impossible to find someone who doesn't know about chess without visiting deep Africa or the Antarctic.

If I'm not mistaken, just about everyone in Antarctica are scientists and researchers who very likely know about chess. Other than that little nit-pick, I agree with you whole-heartedly
>>
>>55074056

Chess was defeated by brute force. Go required more creative thinking. It is impossible to beat Go with brute force.
>>
>>55074056
He's not saying AlphaGo doesn't work. He's pointing out how much longer it took computers to beat humans at go than at chess.
>>
File: mousetrap.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mousetrap.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>>55073757
Mousetrap, you plebs
>>
>>55074110
>not being aware that Campaign for North Africa is part of series, and there's a master book for running them together to simulate the whole war
>>
>>55075229
A friend of mine somehow managed to accrue 10 nerds to play 5 simultaneous matches of wargame, simulating a massive scale engagement. It was a shitshow, but a fun shitshow. Definitely more fun than chess.

Actually, there's a question. How come all modern "true" wargames, at least ones that are on the typical scale you'd expect one to be, are all WW2? WW2 is a cool setting and has many interesting battles to be sure, but how come there ain't equally big and complicated ones about modern warfare, or wars on alien planets, or shit like that?
>>
>>55074130
>watch them get mad after a 4 hour game
so monopoly?
>>
>>55075308
Explicitly, yes.
>>
File: Patrician Taste.jpg (162KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
Patrician Taste.jpg
162KB, 1024x678px
>>55075175
A bitch to set up. Rumble in the Jungle is best game hands down
>>
>>55075115
And how much of that has to do with the considerably higher prominence Chess has over Go? How much money and man-hours have been put into making invincible chess AIs as opposed to invincible Go AIs?
>>
File: FSZbM.jpg (45KB, 540x408px) Image search: [Google]
FSZbM.jpg
45KB, 540x408px
>>55075175
>>55076187
Absolute best, you knaves.
All skill, no RNG to rely upon if you're a scrub.
>>
>>55073757
It's good but too basic to keep my interest.
>>
>>55074990
anything is beatable with brute force if you have enough of it. also it's not quite accurate to describe deep blue as 'brute force', iirc it was basically minimax with a very sophisticated position value heuristic.
>>
>>55076291
Rumble poster here, can confirm this is the best game for someone who has no friends to play with
>>
File: 1318199516002.png (47KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1318199516002.png
47KB, 645x773px
>>55076427
I just realised I actually never played it with any of my friends, we played other stuff. Did play it some with cousins though, somehow.
>>
>>55076212
some of it, but >>55074990 is right in that it took a very different approach (basically fancy machine learning algos) to win at go, whereas chess was winnable basically by aggressively tuning basic tic-tac-toe algorithms. Personally I like chess and couldn't give less of a shit about go, the 'computer can win at it' only matters if you consider doing something a computer could do to be beneath you. Computers can't play soccer for shit so I guess that means it's even better than go?
>>
>>55074990
>Chess computers use brute force programming
No
The computing power needed to create brute force chess programs in the way that you're thinking they work doesn't exist and won't for hundreds of years
Chess computers just have every single chess maneuver in recorded history saved, recognizes when an opponent is using one of these, and plays what beat it in its history

It's actually the same process they used in the program to win at Go, except there was actually money in creating a Chess computer and they had about 50 times as much data to feed it
>>
>>55073757
I don't know, but it's definitely one of the most boring ever created.
>>
>>55073757
yes
>>
>>55074973
There's rules? I thought it was just a cool SF prop.
>>
The best one is chess with those rules:
everyone can capture the pawn enpassant by doing a capture move to the place the pawn would be if he moved one square isntead of two.

You can't put yourself in check/mate unless you can only do this type of move (you verify what the enemy can do at next turn [to check for mate/check] assuming a alternate variant where check and mate doesnt exist, to avoid infinite recursion).
>>
>>55075294
What is 40k?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.