[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One thing that piqued my interest about Sorcery! (which was highlighted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 250px-Shamutanti_Hills.jpg (35KB, 250x390px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Shamutanti_Hills.jpg
35KB, 250x390px
One thing that piqued my interest about Sorcery! (which was highlighted by the inclusion of the sorcery mechanics from the book in Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2e) was that THE ENTIRE PRACTICE OF SORCERY only includes 48 spells. 48 spells, and not a single one more. Not 48 "common" spells, not 48 spells given as an example with the promise of more appearing in further supplements or potentially existing in the hands of NPCs - just those 48.

It's actually a little bit rare to see that in a magic system nowadays. Obviously, they can't include an infinite amount of spells in the core book (unless there's some kind of freeform spell design mechanic in place) but the assumption generally seems to be that what's in it is just a taste and with enough creativity or effort or something you could always find more.

1. How do you feel about magic systems with a finite number of well defined effects?
2. How many is enough? Is it more interesting for there to only be 50 or 12 or 3 or maybe even 1? What should those effects be?
3. What other games do this well?
>>
>>55071784
Another thing I forgot to mention: those 48 spells aren't even "broad" or "vague" either. There's no spell to "manipulate water" or something that has an infinite number of different uses built right in. Hell, "summon goblins" and "summon giant" are two different ones. "Fireball" and "lightning bolt" are two different ones. Each spell generally only does one, highly specific, very clearly defined thing. You have to be clever and resourceful if you want to use those 48 effects to achieve anything even remotely close to your standard "wizardry batman".
>>
>>55071800
It's very jrpg.
>>
>>55071961
What? How so?
>>
>>55072410
Specific spells, mostly combat oriented.
>>
>>55071784
That Manticore looks sad.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.