[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, new here I'm looking to dm a campaign set in modern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 39.jpg (32KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
39.jpg
32KB, 300x225px
Hey /tg/, new here
I'm looking to dm a campaign set in modern times. I'm also not familiar with tons of systems, I'm almost 100% pathfinder in experience. Are there any systems out there that may be more accomodating for a world with guns and cars and the Internet that are similar enough to pathfinder that I won't be starting from the ground up?
I started looking at d20 modern but thought people here may have a better suggestion
>>
>>55055451
D20 Modern is not a system worth playing, even FATAL is more worthwhile and that's only because it can be funny when you're really drunk.
There are several other options, but it depends on what you want from the system.. if you want action movie or simulated realism.
>>
>>55055451
what do you want the game to be about, most modern setting RPGs aren't generic (unless it's GURPS)
>>
Savage Worlds or nWoD are my go-tos for modern.
>>
>>55055451
Best I can suggest off the top of my head is Ops and Tactics, it's close to 3.PF since it (originally) was the same system and it's setting neutral. Not any heavier than 3.PF and easier to set up than GURPS.
>>
>>55055490
Looking more for simulated realism I think but still with magic
Think like"it's been suppressed for thousands of years but x nlevent happened and it is surging again"

>>55055495
Still trying to figure this out I think, but probably on the lines of forking today's real world into a fantasy world starting from today into a magic is back scenario

>>55055498
nWoD == new world of darkness?

>>55055586
I'll look into it, thanks
>>
>>55055783
>I'm looking for simulated realism
>but with magic
Ops and Tactics is your game then. It plays somewhat realistically, especially at low levels, but it's not very simulationist, it comes with magic and sci-fi books as well. With a neat little magic system that allows for custom spells.
>>
>>55055804
www. opsandtactics. com
100% of everything on this link or is there like a d20pfsrd.com equivalent?
>>
>>55055828
>www. opsandtactics. com
Yep, that's the site, game's 100% free. There's also the guy's blog here if you want www.opsandtactics. blogspot. com/
>>
>>55055837
Awesome, thanks
Any suggestions on where to start or should I just start reading everything?
>>
>>55056286
Well if you're focused on magic and modern day operating, just stick with core and modern magicka, no reason to dip into advanced arms really, unless you want augments and shit. also try not to be intimidated by the 1000+ different firearms listed in the core book
>>
>>55056297
Are they mostly similar?
>>
>>55056349
More or less, they're pretty close to each since most things are based on caliber rather than minutia of barrel lengths and such. Though it does help bring out some very unique weapons you'd never see otherwise.
>>
>>55056379
So caliber actually matters?
That's something I hoped to have because I have a friend that I met in a nWoD game that knew nothing about guns but was playing a gun expert that was 95% wrong and this will force some knowledge into him
>>
>>55056456
Caliber does matter, it determines the damage of the weapon, and generally gives you an implicit range increment for the weapon. You also get a fuckton of customization options for your gun including cosmetic, tacticool and accurizing the gun.
>>
>>55056456
Also hilariously, I have a player who's exactly the same way in my campaign, they know jack and shit about firearms and they decided to play a gunsmith character.
>>
>>55056504
I was always so close to punching him every time he said clip in reference to a magazine
>>
>>55056628
Well, my player accepts that he doesn't know shit and he's surrounded by /k/ommandos, it lead to my favorite in character line so far though.
>"RPK? Isn't that a wrestling move?"
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.