[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any experience with HERO? I've heard it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 6E1_Generic_Cover1.jpg (21KB, 200x309px) Image search: [Google]
6E1_Generic_Cover1.jpg
21KB, 200x309px
Anyone have any experience with HERO? I've heard it's okay, if a bit overly crunchy. I'm a gurps player so I don't mind crunch, but I'd like to know if it's worth learning
>>
>>55039678
It isn't worth learning. You already know GURPS.
>>
>>55040119
That's not helpful, anon.
>>
>>55040119
you realize that people sometimes pick up other games for the sake variety? even if there was one single best system (and if there was it wouldnt be GURPS), people still would play inferior systems just because they're different.
>>
>>55039678
In my opinion its flexible and better balanced that GURPS, but its more geared for supers style games, whereas GURPS is more versatile.

I love GURPS but Hero more, for me GURPS is more crunchy and is more technical with its stats and has some amazing sourcebooks. But as I say, Hero is better for heroes, GURPS is better more settings.
>>
File: IMG_1073.png (2MB, 2668x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1073.png
2MB, 2668x1536px
>>55040119
>GURPS
>worth learning
There can be only one
>>
>>55039678
I've been playing Hero for 23 years now.

I started in kindergarten in a group with my family. Ran a session last week for some friends.

It's definitely my favorite system out there. I've used it for supes, scifi, fantasy, zombie appocolypse. The game I'm running now is Fantasy Pirates.

I'd definitely recommend giving it a look at least.
>>
File: 7n1SMkf.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
7n1SMkf.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>55039678
>Anyone have any experience with HERO?
Was there something specific you wanted help with?
Or just a recommendation?
>>
I've always been interested, but people do need to admit that it does seem a bit intimidating. But I hear when played with people who know the rules, it can be pretty fun.
>>
>>55044469
Just general experiences , ease of learning / play, what it is and isn't good at, etc
>>
>>55044875
It depends a lot on your play group. I've found it actually works well with both freeform, types of players and hard core crunch guys..

If you help freeform players make a character, they are usually pretty good players, since the system is open, they just tell you what they want to do, and you tell them what they need to roll/how it works in system.

Of the group I'm running for, only one of them has read the system in any depth. I think the others might have skimmed and that's about it.

It does however put a bit of the burden of system mastery on the GM.

An important thing to remember is not to let rules questions bog down play. If you, or another player can't remember off the top of you head, just go with what sounds right, and you can look up the specific rule later (I usually have someone who's character isn't active at that moment look it up), for the next time it comes up.

As far as what if does well and doesn't do well, my personal experience is that it runs just about every setting as well, or better than the normal system attached to that setting, although there is usually a bit of GM leg work establish setting specific applications of the rules. IE all spells are bought this way, or all Mech Suit guns are bought as multipowers etc.

The biggest problem I've had is helping players reign in character concepts. Because the system lets you do anything, a lot of players want to do stuff that might not fit the point level, or campaign concept.
>>
>>55039678
I run GURPS or Hero, but of the two I prefer GURPS. Hero's better for high powered supers but I prefer the way GURPS handles everything else.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.