[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the best way to present magic in a book of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: NewSun.jpg (137KB, 368x480px) Image search: [Google]
NewSun.jpg
137KB, 368x480px
So what's the best way to present magic in a book of the new sun type setting? One where it's the far future but humanity has declined to a semi-medieval state with remnannts of old technology left behind? Did any setting deal with this in an interesting way that didn't come off as too silly?
>>
>>55035411
Unfamiliar with that setting, but it sounds interesting.
>>
>>55035943
It's a classical fantasy novel. Though some would prefer to call "theological science-fiction". But that whole concept has been used in other settings like Numenera or even Adventure Time.
>>
>>55035411

There is no magic. Only knowledge and I forgot the rest.
>>
>>55036228
I was thinking of Numenera, too. It's a really good starting point for that kind of campaign.
>>
I hope you mean technology that is thought to be magic cause there's no actual magic in the setting.
>>
>>55035943
Imagine if Numenera lived up to its promises instead of being a bog standard fantasy setting
>>
>>55035411
I like the "sufficiently advanced technology" approach. It also makes players feel clever when they realise that the magic wand the BBEG uses is actually a laser pistol.
>>
Take a look at all the times "magic" appears in the books

Baldanders uses super-science to achieve great power

The sorcerer Severian duels in the mountains is descended from a genetically modified race of psychics

The Cumean gains power by petitioning otherworldly beings from distant stars for visions

Father Inire (and also Heathor) use "mirrors" to send and receive matter from different times and realities - most likely stone kind of advanced reflective material

The Heiros and their stooge Severian work feats of "magic" which are actually reality bending feats of power extending from a higher universe into Urth

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting, but the takeaway is that nobody ever just "casts a spell"
>>
Something valuable but otherwise incomprehensible or useless. It could be a book about research regarding a piece of technology the players don't have access to. Or on weaponized parasites like Agia's assassin worm. Or it could be a tablet with a scarce power source that has a broad but esoteric database.
>>
File: 1503593503392.jpg (62KB, 538x509px) Image search: [Google]
1503593503392.jpg
62KB, 538x509px
>>55035411
Magic or "magic"?
>>
>>55044636
Well, I mean something that comes off as magic. Whether it's psychic powers, advanced tech or some alien powers from another dimension is what I'm asking.
>>
>>55044636
Technomages, no sense of right and wrong
>>
>>55044811
I'd personally leave out psychic powers and extra dimensional aliens, since those are pretty much just magic.

I'd leave it all as old, misunderstood tech. like:
>Initiates of the Red Order are powerful psychics.
>Those who undergo the ritual of anointing are able to communicate telepathically with one another. Although the power is often diminished the further they are from their seat of power.
>The high masters are said to be able to read minds.
>The ritual of anointing is just implanting advanced mass market cellphones.
>They don't work as well farther from the Red Order's Cell Towers
>The high masters use an advanced implant, that reads facial expressions and body language to give social cues. The implants were original meant to help treat people who have trouble learning social ques.
>The advanced ability to read people is often attributed to mind reading.
>>
>>55038985
>Only knowledge and I forgot the rest
pretty accurate desu
>>
File: 1480268324032.jpg (430KB, 1200x1157px) Image search: [Google]
1480268324032.jpg
430KB, 1200x1157px
Fuck off back to sucking off the hierogrammates on >>>r/yesod you new sun faggots

Vodalus did nothing wrong
>>
>>55035411
The Gurps conversion is so good, OP. Exacting, assuming you can stand Gurps.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.