[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help for a homebrew world I'm running. I need to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (5KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 284x177px
I need help for a homebrew world I'm running. I need to design magic classes, and am having trouble coming up with a magic class that combines the traits of 'essence' and 'energy'. Any ideas?
>>
Give us some details on how magic works on your setting, and how you specifically define "essence" and "energy."
>>
Everything you said is vague as fuck. The system (or at least the closet thing to what you're making up for comparison) for a class could change the details tremendously, and the concepts of 'essence' and 'energy' don't really mean a whole lot without context
>>
>>55032276
This, seriously. What's the rest of your magic system look like. What do "essence" and "energy" mean in your system? What other kinds of magic users do you have, and what are their particular focuses?
>>
All magic is drawn from the font of Aether, where one shapes it and changes it's function depending on their class, race, etc. There are 10 types of magic, each created by a combination of
Continuity
Change
Essence
Energy
Containment

I have everything except the aformentioned combination.
>>
>>55032532
Essence is the spiritual echo of something in the Aether, whereas energy is the aetheric properties of something
>>
>>55032532
Define. Your. Terms.
>>
>>55032549
Most of these are meant to be taken fairly literally, with the application of magic in mind. So, for example, the combination of Continuity and Change is restoration magic. Whereas the combination of Change and Containment is Alchemy, just to give a few examples
>>
>>55032547
Okay, I still think you can be clearer on things, but from what I'm picking up, we've got spiritual echoes and the natural magical properties of something.

That sounds to me like necromancy.

Taping into a body's natural energy to contact the spirit, and then using that spirit energy against someone.
>>
I think a good place to start is what you have already. Could you list the other 9 classes? We don't want to overlap with another class, or there's no point to it existing.
>>
Necromancy is too specific. Sounds more like Animism/Totemism.
>>
>>55032532
>Continuity
>Change
>Essence
>Energy
>Containment

This is an odd choice for fundamental properties of Aether. The first four seem to be properties of the substance (Stability, Reactivity, Composition, Potentiation) but Containment seems out of place.
>>
>>55032950
Oh, I like that better. All the same, using an object of some kind to channel spiritual energies.
>>
The Tellurian is an enchanter of raw might. Also known as "detonist" and "quaker", his body is constantly twitching pervaded by telluric energy.
In controlled discharges, the Tellurian can imprint his magic on solids and liquids around him. They dash, tremble, erupt or straight up detonate in a blast, as if their previous form was a tense spring in need of release.
Through hidden properties inside matter, Tellurians can cause Earthquakes, crack rocks and bones, or push an enemy against another as if propelled by a hidden inner energy.
Tellurians crush, flatten, explode and squeeze, unable to imprint any mutagenic, refined aspect to their magic. They fling and tear, grabbing things from their insides, but nothing constructive ever comes off these vibrating incantations.
>>
>>55032990
Maybe what OP is thinking is the opposite of releasing/changing Aether?
Containment of a fireball is sorta the opposite of creating and throwing it at someone.

Or, since we're supposed to contribute ideas here, Containment could be the root of counter-magic/abdjuration? Just spit balling here, and have a feeling OP has a more developed idea than me.

As for the actual OP question, essence and energy could be some kinda evocation or transmutation?
running with the idea of essence being something's composition and energy being it's Aetheric/magical properties..
How bout an E+E-mancer can grasp the essence of things and use energy to summon/change/control them thanks to an understanding of what they are at the most basic Aetheric level?
Huh, suppose that does sound like a kinda animism....
>>
>>55032532
>>55032547

So Essence is a spiritual echo of something, assuming that doesn't differentiate lifeforms from objects I'll take it as blueprints/residue of things with shape.
If Energy is the aetheric properties of something, assuming that it doesn't refer to the alteration of properties due to the existence of Change, then it probably refers only to the properties.
To combine the two, wouldn't it just be the properties of aetheric echos, or rather a potential form of conjuration. You could conjure objects of aether based on echoes with energy and maybe even creatures (whether real or semi-illusory).
I just sounds to me like a mix of illusions with conjuration/summoning if put in D&D terms based on it's potential. I which case I'd use the term Conjurer, if not already used, since it evokes the demon summoning conjurers of fantasy and the historical name for stage magicians of old.
I hope this is useful? There was a criminal lack of context.
>>
Essence is a synonym of Soul
Energy is the fuel to cause an action.
So this would be fuel for souls?
Sounds like Stands to me.
>>
>>55032903
9 other classes
Change/Continuity: Healing. High levels can cast res.
Change/Containment: Alchemy.
Change/essence: Decay magic
Change/energy: Mind magic???
Continuity/energy: Fire
Continuity/containment: Counter-magic
Continuity/Essence: Indestructibility
Energy/Containment: Lightining
Essence/Containment: Cryo.

Most of these are fairly basic unfortunately, and I'd like to cut down on the 'elemental' magic
>>
>>55033540
If you really want to stick with these five prime aspects and want broader categories and less elemental stuff maybe try.
Change/Continuity: Recomposition
Change/Containment: Attraction
Change/essence: Decomposition
Change/energy: Repulsion
Continuity/energy: Friction
Continuity/containment: Dispersion
Continuity/Essence: Cohesion
Energy/Containment: Collection
Essence/Containment: Stasis
Essence/Energy: Dynamics
>>
>>55034019
I like it. It's worth noting that I should have already listed Continuity/Containment as Stasis, but countermagic is it's primary use.

Sounds pretty solid though. I'll see how the magic system feels with those. Thanks anon
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.