[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't urban fantasy usually have psychics/psionics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 79183l.jpg (142KB, 416x600px) Image search: [Google]
79183l.jpg
142KB, 416x600px
Why doesn't urban fantasy usually have psychics/psionics? They normally show up in the sci-fi leaning stories instead.
>>
>>55029766
Urban fantasy without psychic powers is stupid
>>
>>55029766
I think mostly because of how retarded it'd be to balance. Same thing that happens with mind mages usually. And if you just import psionics from high fantasy settings, it just feels silly
>>
>>55029766

You what?

Psychics are pretty much one of the cores of urban fantasy. Unless UF has changed a lot in the few years I've not been closely following it.
>>
>>55033161
Such as? The settings I can think of like WoD prefer mages instead.
>>
Because psionics have no place in fantasy.
>>
>>55034374
You're totally right, we just have 70 years of novels and dozens of famous authors who prove you wrong.
>>
>>55035601

>these artists prove stuff even though art is 90% subjective
>>
File: Dude 4.gif (676KB, 320x160px) Image search: [Google]
Dude 4.gif
676KB, 320x160px
>>55029766
>Why doesn't urban fantasy usually have psychics/psionics?
In my experience, urban fantasy USUALLY has psionics. I mean WoD is pretty popular and doesn't put Psychics/Psionics in the forefront, but even it HAS them.
>>
>>55029766
U wot? Psychics/ESPers are very common

They allow for "speculative" elements without going full sci-fi or fantasy
>>
In my experience, every time I try to play a Ness expy, either the DM says "Fuck no, no psions. I can't stand them." or nobody gives a shit and wants to play something else.

I think it's because a mojority of the time a DM wants to run a fiction in modern times it's because they want realistic and gritty, not fantastical or mirthful. Psionics either go full grim-dark (Psi-Ops, Infamous, Carrie), become sources of entertaining comic relief (Psychonauts, What Women Want, Mrs. Cleo), or psychokinesis is used as a stand in for magic, (Live A Live, Earthbound, Jumper) and once established, sets the tone for psychics through the rest of the game/movie/book that's difficult for GM's to get out of.
>>
>>55029766
magic is tied to mysticism
>>
>>55035911

For me it's a question of: Why psion when you magic?

Psionics is just magic for Sci-fi
>>
Pretty much every "urban fantasy" book has some kind of palm reader or wise woman who is either able to actually tell the future to an extent or is very knowledgeable in that field.

Usually they are one of the first people the main character goes to.
>>
>>55035953
yes. because psionics is tied to science.
>>
File: 1503544343002.jpg (19KB, 480x480px)
1503544343002.jpg
19KB, 480x480px
>>55034374
>Because psionics have no place in fantasy.
ex-fucking-cuse me ?

Psionics is pretty much one of the oldest tropes in fantasy.
Unless of course you narrow down the whole and immense term of "fantasy" down to tolkien fantasy, then you are right.
>>
>>55036002
Divination is not necessarily psychic though,
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.