[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /tg/ make their guys? I feel like every time I write

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1458081485951.png (346KB, 675x496px) Image search: [Google]
1458081485951.png
346KB, 675x496px
How does /tg/ make their guys? I feel like every time I write up the lore for them, it comes out either incredibly boring or Mary sueish. The closest I've gotten so far is a chapter that is essentially Warehouse 13 with xenos artifacts.
>>
Fuck off, frogposter.
>>
>>55023720

Thanks dad
>>
I think of a cool army paint scheme and build it off from that.

Initially my admech were going to be covered in ancient scrolls so I made up lore for a library like forge that sends out skitarii to hunt down ancient writings and histories.

Then I wanted to go conversion crazy and decided to add in that they have a huge amount of biologis priests to fit the lore.

From there I built it as I went, I play with Delmar vs marines a lot so now my forge world is in league with haemonculus to become master genetic engineers and their quest is hunting down marines to study them.

It might not be first founding tier of depth but it's enough for me to build from and be happy to share with anyone interested.

Now I'm just working on fluff for my major characters and I think I'll be happy.
>>
>>55023607
git creative kid.
>>
Think of a stupid gimmick.

Space Wolves are basically crazy space furries, Blood Ravens are kleptomaniacs, the Ultramarines are the emperors boy scouts, etc.
>>
>>55023607

Just make some regular lore that fits with the rest of the setting

Mary sues are shit and special snowflakes are shit and boring.

To make the perfect chapter always think if GW would make it canon and feature it's color scheme on a codex
>>
I honestly can't much when trying to take it seriously. I main Thousand Sons and Tau. TS are played straight, led by Ahriman (and sometimes Magnus). The Tau are basically sneaky forest/jungle fighters with the general jist of "It's like Vietnam. You got your bomber, your jaded troops, your commandos with shitloads of flamethrowers, scouts yada yada".

That said I'm putting together a Renegade CSM chapter from models I never use (so I field them without spending a dime nor am I taking this seriously at all). I'm literally slapping what I think is fucking cool and rolling with it. Dragon heads on chaos termies as traitor salamanders who believes they're half-dragons so the warp fleshchanged them into actual half-dragons, a champion of slaanesh who is obsessed with Hamlet who takes people's skulls with a powerfist so he can re-enact scenes, a Doomrider expy popping wheelies off cliffs and medieval peasant cultists who just want to rape and pillage, among many others.

Most fun I've had writing "fluff"
>>
>>55023607
Have you read any 40k fluff? Sueish is fine. In fact, if Your Dudes aren't at least a little sueish, they'd already have been buttfucked by every overblown threat in the setting.
>>
I see 40k as "Traditional Fantasy...IN SPACE".

And a lot of stuff in the setting fits the pattern - think of something from fantasy or history, now imagine a space marine version of it.
Hoplites IN SPACE? Sons of Orar
Vampires IN SPACE? Blood Angels
Nordic Berserkers IN SPACE? Space Wolves
Templars IN SPACE you get the idea

/tg/ has done the same with Maori, Shaolin, and Aztec chapters.

Just on the fly, consider an Ottoman chapter. White Scars successors. They have funky dome bulb helmets with the twisted ring headbands. Scouts are taken from youth convicts across the system and re-educated a la the Jannisarry.

I thought that up in two minutes
>>
>>55023607
I had a Idea for an Imperial Guard Regiment, and it started with thinking, that the Uniform of Cadians would look a bit cooler if it were a trenchcoat, with a fur collar. Actually Im kinda thinking about them, as not that very special, they are just very resiliant to weather and climate and for that are used in many different warzones, nothing more.
>>
>>55024784
To clarify, I mean the Armor we see on Cadians, they are not actually Cadians. Maybe some planet in Culaxxis or so.
>>
>>55024031
>always think if GW would make it canon
That criteria doesn't mean anything on /tg/ because if the Space Wolves, Ultramarines, or Grey Knights were the same in every aspect except that they were fan chapters, they'd be denounced as mary sue and special snowflakey and have no supporters.
>>
>>55025101
To be fair, the Ultramarines and GK are absolutely still denounced as special snowflake mary sues, and have very few supporters.
>>
>>55023607

Okay I think of it like this... what do you want to really get behind even if it's sue-ish, let's take muhreens for example as they are nice and easy.

So... xeno artefacts, for a start whose, are they trying to emulate tau or the necrons or whoever, maybe it's everyone. Think about who uses them, are they rare or common, are battle brothers kitted out with gauss flayers? Is the use of xeno weapons reserved for sternguard or tanks or whatever.

Establish some order to your idea and think of a paint scheme. Think of a few lines of background, the more simple the better. Next, bitz, check third party suppliers and gw parrots to make a force that's really 'you'. Then simple work from there.
>>
>>55023607
>The closest I've gotten so far is a chapter that is essentially Warehouse 13 with xenos artifacts.

The trick is to give your chapter/army/craftworld/whatever a couple downsides. They don't have to be in game downsides, but something that makes them weak.

ex: For my space marine chapter, I wrote that they're proficient in close quarters combat as well as in combined arms tactics. However, they are super arrogant and at one time lost an entire company because they refused to use camouflage on an ice planet (they're red and black and gold). They're also extremely superstitious to the point where they won't fight if any of the command of the chapter has visions of the Eye of Horus before a crusade, thinking it is a portent of their demise.

I recommend checking out the 4th edition Space Marine and Imperial Guard codices, they have some cool pros/cons you can use for "your dudes"
>>
>>55025224
True, but those were just off the top of my head, I doubt the likes of the Exorcists - expert daemonhunters who possess and depossess their scouts and have Grey Knight geneseed would fly as a fan chapter either. And I bet the Black Dragons wouldn't be without more than their fair share of detractors too.

So I maintain that:
>Would GW make it canon
Is a terrible criteria to go by on /tg/. Any given impossibility stated by a /tg/ autist, is a black library plot point waiting to happen.
>>
>>55025101

Just think of any regular chapter GW would include in their official images is what I mean.

Normally the best custom chapters are the chapters that fit with the tone and execution in the 40k universe
>>
You need not make a whole chapter if you're not confident. I run a small iron knights army, remnants of a company after the rest went renegade. Hate chaos and the warp so no librarians, lots of chaplains and jaded veterans adding to that stubborn imperial fist trait. Not the most original or interesting, but they're my dudes and they fit the table and they fit the lore.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.