[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Playing unspecified RPG system >It includes some sort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1268716548506.jpg (54KB, 640x482px) Image search: [Google]
1268716548506.jpg
54KB, 640x482px
>Playing unspecified RPG system
>It includes some sort of charisma or related speechcraft attribute and skills
>GM announces after chargen that players are expected to RP through every scene, and the charisma attribute doesn't mean shit.

Shouldn't the GM be expected to refund any points spent on charisma-related attributes and skills in that case?
>>
You roleplay charisma character events because you have control over your character. This means you can make them say what you want them to say, same as why a game that isn't cancer will allow a low Int character to make plans and do art things even though there character isn't.

However when these things cannot be easily abjucated, so as using body language to intimidate, or putting your heart into a performance, or doing something over several hours in gane time that would be boring and unwieldy to roleplay, the stats are then used.

Stats cam also be partially or purely a gameplay abstraction divorced from their in - world connotations. Intelligence adds to magic damage and charisma increases your number of hirelings you can have with you passively, it doesn't have to be a real factor in the gane world beyond that if you don't want.

Yet another solution- remove Intelligence as a stat and replace with Knowledge or Magic. Charisma can be replaced or removed as well.

Hope this helps. Season to taste, stir well.
>>
>>55021281
yes, much the same as I'd expect to be allowed to reroll if I made any character who was rendered useless by the campaign premise without knowing ahead of time, if social stats and skills hold no value, and learning that changes how you would make your character, then it's only fair that the players should have the chance to build their characters accordingly.
>>
>>55021281
A GM who penalizes you for your roleplaying is an asshole.

A GM who gives you a bonus because you roleplayed is a good GM.

If you aren't able to think of anything, you can wave your hand and go "I say something like this to the guard" and roll your skill normally.

Why is this such a fucking problem for people?
>>
>>55021651
Hell, Burning Wheel makes this an explicit rule. During a Duel of Wits, you plan out your argument, points, rebuttals, etc. If you can come up with an argument youself, you get a bonus die, if not you just roll what you normally would and it's assumed your character knows more about this shit than you (the assumption we make about almost every other skill in RPGs)
>>
>>55021651
You do realize that you didn't actually answer OPs question at all, right?
>>
>>55021696
Why are there some many autismos that don't do this?
>>
>>55021417
>a game that isn't cancer won't have an Int stat
FTFY
>>
>>55021281

The GM is an idiot for not viewing RP through the lens of mechanics.

A character with good charisma is conveying themselves well, even if the player is struggling.

A player with bad charisma is conveying themselves badly, even if the player is being smooth as all fuck.

And in that latter case, I wouldn't call it good RP or reward them for it. They're doing an awful job of playing their character.
>>
>>55024268
So if you're playing a modern game that uses stats, and you're playing a hacker, do you have to write out the code yourself?

If you have to decipher a text in a game, do you have to do so yourself?

Repairing a piece of advanced technology?

Treating a rare disease?
>>
>>55024299

*character with bad charisma

Bleh, words.
>>
>>55024299
This is so fucking obvious that I don't understand why are even threads about this.
>>
>>55021281
I demand that players roleplay these interactions prior to making a dice roll, if its good it gets a bonus, if its bad it usually doesn't.

The exception is where the particular line of persuasion the player attempts to use would, for whatever reason, have a result that is directly contradictory to the desired outcome, in which case they receive an appropriate penalty. This only really comes up in cases where people do retarded things, like make threats of violence towards magical guardians that don't feel fear, or try and bribe someone who intentionally eschews wealth and despises greed.

Exceptionally dumb actions deserve to be penalized.
>>
So, this thread is about players investing points in skills they had every reason to expect to be useless but that turned out to be useless once the game started. Why are so many people ignoring the actual subject of the thread in favor of rehashing the old and tired discussion about the role of mechanics and roleplaying in social situations?
>>
>>55021281
That's retarded.
Players should dictate - what - they say.
Charisma dictates - how - they say it.

Prove me wrong.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.