[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking into running shadowrun for my gaming group. Never touched

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: shadow_grp_by_garmorra-d8q9mpr.jpg (251KB, 1419x562px) Image search: [Google]
shadow_grp_by_garmorra-d8q9mpr.jpg
251KB, 1419x562px
Looking into running shadowrun for my gaming group. Never touched this game and I know very little about the system and the setting so I was wondering where I should start and which edition

I'd grab 5th edition from my lgs but I'm not about dropping 60 bucks on a book before I know its good.
>>
>Buying rulebooks
>>
>>55012577
Start by reading the core book for either 4e or 5e, both are pretty similar.
More people play 5e than 4e though. Try and understand the system first (d6 dice pool) as your players WILL need help.
Go to the Shadowrun General thread, and download a pdf of one of those core books from there, and make sure you read it before you buy.
Apologies in advance, the 5e book is horribly laid out, but if you're going with 4e, go for the 20th Anniversary book, it's so much better than 4e 'core'.
>>
>>55012668
I can flip through a book faster than I can scroll through a pdf. More convenient imo.
>>
File: Thumbsup.png (52KB, 229x372px) Image search: [Google]
Thumbsup.png
52KB, 229x372px
I've been playing it for a year and a half. Let me give you the rundown.

>Company is shit for a myriad of reasons, don't buy the books
>5e is the best edition mechanically
>Rules are mostly okay but the editing and layout is often a dumpster fire
>Don't let anyone play a decker or technomancer or AI for their first runner
>It's easy to make broken/stupid OP characters that are perfectly legal
>Use Chummer5a to make characters https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases

I'm normally not one of those people who's like "FUCK THE COMPANY, PIRATE BOOKS" But CGL has a CEO that was guilty of embezzling that's still running things. They also just hire freelancers to do their books, and then fuck them on paying them. And when they do pay them it's not the promised amount.

Also the books are edited like garbage, and they had an errata team that they then pushed to do other shit instead of actually letting them errata it.

All that said, Shadowrun does a pretty good blend of Cyberpunk and Fantasy that's hard to dismiss and the actual dice/mechanics are pretty sound.
>>
>>55012789
>Not playing 3rd
>Not playing the version with the best lore, better editing then 5, and better rules if you don't mind the target number retardation
Anon pls.
>>
>>55012789
>the CEO of the shadowrun owners is a shadowrun villain
Lel
>>
4e and 5e are both decent, there is arguments for each one and neither is a perfect system.

Shadowrun development is often a case of 'One step forward, one step back'.
>>
File: 1494112529638.jpg (56KB, 736x737px) Image search: [Google]
1494112529638.jpg
56KB, 736x737px
>>55013011

It's been discussed in shadowrun general that a shadowrun is needed in order to liberate shadowrun from it's corporate overlords

Or for it to just fail so hard it ends up in another publisher's hands, but that's a gamble
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.