/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just found out that the first tabletop wargames where developed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: Napoleon Bonaparte.jpg (23KB, 220x367px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon Bonaparte.jpg
23KB, 220x367px
I just found out that the first tabletop wargames where developed in germany during the Napoleonic wars while reading about them. Apparently as education tools for officers. Does anyone have sources on such 200 year old wargaems around here? Would like to know how they where.
>>
>>55004536
If the Peninsular war was the kind of stupid shit that the wargames taught you to do, they obviously weren't very good.
>>
>>55004536
I think there are some British versions of those floating around somewhere. HG Wells has a version he adapted to be more fun (since he said the wargames were quite dull) called Little Wars
>>
>>55004536
You're looking for something like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsspiel_(wargame)

This is the original 1812 table with porcelain tiles to lay out the battlefields.
>>
>>55004764
>>
>>55004793
>>
>>55004764
>>55004793
>1812
haha no fucking way
>>
>>55004822
Yes way. This table was designed specifically for presenting the game to Frederick William III of Prussia.
>>
>>55004848
And a picture of the cover to the revised 1824 edition.
>>
>>55004764
Shit, you can actually buy this (though it needs a GM as well as the players)
>>
>>55005013
As grog as it gets.
>>
http://grogheads.com/whatever/history/3898

Breakdown of the game. To be honest, it looks awkward and not that much fun, but I guess that's the point of it: it was to be a training tool for actual officers.
>>
>>55004902
God, will 1824fags ever shut up about their shitty system? 1812 edition is objectively superior.
>>
>>55009180
1862, asshole. About time the system updated for actual modern equipment, like Dreyer rifles!
>>
>>55007037
War: Only fun when you get to bathe in the real blood of your foes.
>>
>>55011624
Instead, you get stuffy Prussian umpires.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.