[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay so I just came back from GenCon. Something happened during

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: nofunallowed.jpg (84KB, 488x516px) Image search: [Google]
nofunallowed.jpg
84KB, 488x516px
Okay so I just came back from GenCon. Something happened during a one-shot pick up game that kinda irked me. I wanted to see where /tg/ stood on it:

I was in a fantasy game (Savage Worlds but that's besides the point). One of the other players selected a pre-gen character that was a humanoid rhino-guy thing. Two attacks were listed on his character sheet: One blatantly superior, one inferior by just looking at the numbers alone.

The superior attack (character had a two-handed maul) did d8 damage and had an "armor piercing" bonus, the inferior attack was a gore with his rhino horn that did only d6 damage and no special bonuses.

Nevertheless, the player chose to exclusively use his gore attack for the entire game. And when we were offered an enchantment in the middle of the game, he wanted his horn to be enchanted instead of the statistically superior weapon (the maul). Whenever his character attack the player would actually whip his head around like a rhino for emphasis as he rolled the dice.

One side of me says, that's cool. That's how he has fun, whatever.

The autistic side of me wanted to slap the shit out of him for blatantly ignoring the numbers. As one can imagine: Since I'm so autistic about optimization, I did the most damage and the most killing during the session since I was familiar with how the rules worked and the best combat options to use at a given moment. He did the least.

So... could you tolerate a player like that in your game? Could you tolerate a player like ME in your game?
>>
I'd just switch the two numbers.
>>
>>54988975
Ask if the horn attack can have a bonus stun/knockdown effect, that's what I'd do. Then I'd try experimenting with how your character can work together with his horn thing for teamwork. Maybe less total killing, but with more cinematic results.

I could tolerate both types, really. Neither of you are trying to cut into my share of the loot, so it's all cool.
>>
You didn't try to manage everyone into the "optimal course of action", so you get a pass.
It's when they try to take other player's fun away in the name of their own bullshit that they become truly insufferable cunts.
>>
>>54988975
>So... could you tolerate a player like that in your game?
To a point. I'd caution such a player about putting thematics over being able to contribute to the group's success. You need not have it one way or another.
>Could you tolerate a player like ME in your game?
No, because players like you rarely listen to anyone other than yourselves, and have issues gelling with a diverse group that consists of people unlike yourself.
>>
Sure, one option might be statistically superior, but impaling dudes with your rhino horn is just plain cool.
>>
>>54990711
this

pull the stick out of your butt and play pretend with us op
>>
>So... could you tolerate a player like that in your game?
The pantomiming is a bit weird, but I suppose so. It is a bit of a red flag, though, because the only other person I've played with that did stuff like that also had self-diagnosed assburgers and was a shitheel in general.

>Could you tolerate a player like ME in your game?
At no point did you derail the game by telling someone else how to play their character; no matter how much it irked you, you recognized it wasn't detracting from anyone else's fun and kept it to yourself. That puts you above an existing player in my group, so yeah, you'd be fine.
>>
>>54990711
You can just use the d8 attack and say you're using your rhino horn. What's the big deal?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.