[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When exactly did the "fictional characters shouldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 429
Thread images: 24

File: uruk.jpg (487KB, 2506x1024px) Image search: [Google]
uruk.jpg
487KB, 2506x1024px
When exactly did the "fictional characters shouldn't just be evil by default" meme start?
>>
>>54980106
From my guess, you start trying to round out the villains and give them a worldview based on being evil, and it eventually turns into people sympathizing with some elemetn and turning them into dindus
>>
>>54980106
Around the time people started complaining about liberals/leftists demonizing every ideology under the sun.
>>
>>54980469
But doesn't that imply that some ideologies are just evil by default according to them?
>>
>>54980106
as awesome as having a super evil skeletor who is fueled by evil, and sees good as a singular thing to be destroyed, some people prefer a less obvious target
>>
>>54980658
That doesn't answer my question
>>
File: Kokuko Priestess.jpg (421KB, 1000x1129px) Image search: [Google]
Kokuko Priestess.jpg
421KB, 1000x1129px
It started when people wanted depth with their antagonists.

Then again, this is one of those "badwrongfun" threads, isn't it?
>>
>>54980703
depth at the expense of archetypal character strength is lame

That's why more classical adventures have a deep, more relatable secondary bad guy, and a purely evil main bad guy
>>
>>54980106
When people got bored of Black/White morality in their fiction.
Now people are getting bored of more Grey morality in their fiction, wanting a return to Black/White.
It'll cycle around again at some point.
>>
File: (((skaven))).png (6KB, 252x243px) Image search: [Google]
(((skaven))).png
6KB, 252x243px
>>54980106

Warcraft Orcs literally became what they are because a YA author decided to turn them into an oppressed minority who dindu nuffin wrong and was trying to get they life own track befo' cracka-ass Whitey and Dwarfy and Elfy started arresting him cuz dey rayciss n sheeit
>>
>>54980106
>>54980757
Balance is important. Sure, you need to make players think about their decisions, but at some point you've gotta let them wail on some baddies.
Some people are just fucking dicks and deserve to have their shit shoved in until it comes out the other end.
>>
>>54980106
When people tried to put the same into fantasy the LToR was based on rejection of. Fully rounding out the 'why' of a villain only makes sense if you are having parts of the story from their point of view ( works in novel, not so much in TTRPGs) or if there is a discovery story arch. Most of the time when war happens only the leaders know the fine points of the 'why' with the rest just knowing 'what sounded good in a speech aimed at making the other side look bad' and bits of gossip. That goes double if you are fighting a pre-modern war.

For the first go around of it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanticism
>>
File: default.png (38KB, 810x407px) Image search: [Google]
default.png
38KB, 810x407px
>>54980106
>When exactly did the "fictional characters shouldn't just be evil by default" meme start?
Phrased like that?
Two days ago, apparently.
Care to phrase it in a way that makes more sense?
Are you referring to a whole race described as evil, like your pic would imply?
Or are you referring to some practice of not having any characters be "evil" that you believe to be a meme?
Please clarify.
>>
>>54980106
Tolkien himself started down that path in some of his later letters. He wasn't fully comfortable with the implications of an always-evil race.
>>
>>54980940
Damn Catholics
>>
>>54982729
Sounds like you're the evil one that deserves to die.
>>
>>54980106
when people looked at stories as actual art and not just what your group DM puts together in a weekend
>>
File: 292.jpg (23KB, 436x432px) Image search: [Google]
292.jpg
23KB, 436x432px
>>54980106
Because evil races tend to be very prone to proactive extermination from other races that are concerned with their own survival. Then again being an explosive reproducer can make up for being a universally despised menace.

<<54982729
I'm glad to have experts on human races on a Martian nut-threading board. I want to know more about how Muslims are a race and how every single Jew and black person is morally bankrupt.
>>
>>54982706
I get the reference you're making. I don't like it, I don't like you for making it, but I will acknowledge that I get it.
>>
>everything must be the same forever
>but if anyone rips off tolkien I will lambaste them

why is /tg/ so outwardly retarded lately?
>>
File: james_holmes.jpg (58KB, 992x558px) Image search: [Google]
james_holmes.jpg
58KB, 992x558px
>>54982826
I'm sure you're a fine specimen of the master race and not projecting your insecurities/latent homosexuality at all.
>>
>>54982933
Well, I'd be inclined to assume the people who hate things not being standard pseudo-tolkienian fantasy and the people who hate standard pseudo-tolkienian fantasy are separate people who just happen to both be posting anonymously on the same board, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>54980106
I don't know, but I hate it. I want my villains to just be bad guys again.

What's weird is that I'm saying this even as I hate the "all orcs are evil" meme. I like the idea of good or "average" orcs or hobgoblins or whatever who are just trying to get by the only way they know how.

But I want VILLAINS again. Not bad guys, not antagonists, not opponents. VILLAINS.
>>
>>54983045
It's not lazy it's pure and inspiring.

If anything it forces the writer to be as imaginative as possible in order to explore the ramifications of such an unrealistic character motivation. It forces you as a writer to question the absolute nature of evil beyond subjective interpretations. It makes the character alien to human concerns, and therefore more impressive as an antagonist.

Rationalizing evil by subordinating it to relatable motivations only weakens it. It makes the villain too rational to be properly villainous and brings him back down to the rank of mere threat. It sabotages any attempt to explore metaphysical notions in a poetic way.

"How do I write a character who is unquestionably, unarguably, objectively evil" is a far more challenging and thought-provoking question than "Why is the antagonist being a dick?"
>>
>>54983088
Choice. 9001 orcs pillaging because they live in shitholistan where nothing grows is fine. An orc warlord deciding his enemies don't need faces or eyes is fine. 9001 orcs simultaneously deciding their enemies don't need faces or eyes smacks of either oversimplification, fetish, or latent racism.
>>
>>54983174
Or maybe I just want an entire country populated by Black Metal stereotypes because it's cool.
>>
>>54983130
>is a far more challenging and thought-provoking question
It really isn't. The answer is often the same and it's often boring.

It might not be lazy, since you can put a lot of effort into pretty much anything, but it's most definitely boring.
>>
>>54983209
What is the answer then?

I mean the correct answer, not the lazy answer.

Nothing is as entertaining as imagining displays of evil intent. Trying to come up with character motivations for an antagonist is both piss-easy and dull.
>>
>>54983233
Nah, having an unquestionably evil antagonist leads to basically the same story every time. Nobody needs to think, heroes get up to beat people up without feeling bad about it, bad guy dies, good guy wins, everybody goes home happy. No buildup, no tension, no pay-off.

It's incredibly dull, after you've seen one you've seen them all.

And the best part is that it doesn't even matter. Nobody cares how an evil character like that is written, it's just another obstacle to overcome on the road to a "happy ending." All the edgy displays of torture, all the massacres and madness and all the evil monologues can't make up for a shallow premise.
>>
>>54983290
a premise is only as good as its execution, and a purely evil villain allows for WAY more creative stuff to happen than a villain who's constrained by realistic motivations.

It's so obvious.

You're thinking purely in terms of "but how am I going to shoehorn muh moral dilemmas into the story if I can't guilt-trip the heroes into sparing the bad guy?" well it's easy; make it so that the heroes have to hurt good guys in order to defeat the bad guy. it's exactly what a really evil bad guy would force the heroes to do anyway.
>>
>>54983290
You can't really pretend that antagonists with pathos don't all have fundamentally the same story as well:

>"Something something bad childhood, something something needs of my people, something something missed opportunities, something something the lesser of two evils, something something and that's why I need to kill all the Jews."

Every damn time. I'm sick of rants and justifications. I want to hear a villain pleasantly talk about how great it is to be evil again.
>>
>>54983130
By your definition, a mass murderer secretly tanking economies to justify ethnic cleansing to attain godhood isn't good enough because they have a motivation.

By your definition, the best villain would be a giant rock floating in space, covered with giant magical space snakes which happens to head toward a planet simply because for some reason it's attracted to planets with large amount sentient life.

Either that or the Joker.

Actually, those both things that could be pretty interesting antagonists in a story. Hmmm, I'll concede that to you.

I dunno, personally, the moment something becomes so hell bent in causing destruction and suffering for it's own sake that it has no motivation, not even simple sadistic pleasure in causing harm, in my eyes it stops being a force that can be categorized as evil and more of an event that is happening.
>>
>>54983367
Precisely

that's why there's a challenge in writing an evil character who doesn't merely seek self-gratification
>>
>>54980106

Irrelevant. All we know is that shit needs to get dialed back a bit.
>>
>>54983334
>constrained by realistic motivations.

Who said anything about the motivations having to be realistic? A delusional person with autism performing seemingly random acts of terror simply because it fits within some complex mathematical pattern they perceive in society would just be as cool.

A narcissist serial killer who murders simply to achieve some perverted sense of immortality in the media is a motivation.
>>
>>54983335
I don't need to pretend because it's true.

Not my fault that the only stories you read and play are boring carbon copies.
>>
File: Neckbeards.png (127KB, 345x337px) Image search: [Google]
Neckbeards.png
127KB, 345x337px
>>54980106
The archetypical evil by default concept is the demon.

The mythological concept of demonic entities originates in the ideas of natural forces such as disease or famine which must be placated by ritual means to ward them off.

In that perspective then the meme is obvious. The developed world has become divorced from and insulated from mass disease and death. They no longer fear the natural world and so a story of a struggle versus natural forces is no longer appealing to them.

If we want to tell a story about natural forces that scare people in the developed world then we should use symbols that reflect modern fears and problems. I identify as chief among these: obesity, drug addiction, depression, child abduction and loneliness.

So making a modern monster that is scarier to modern audiences:

- They are fat.
- They are addicted to magic.
- They live in hovels and rarely venture outside.
- They rape little children.
>>
File: the_tower.png (255KB, 454x801px) Image search: [Google]
the_tower.png
255KB, 454x801px
>>54983388
Fair enough, interesting concept you got there. Can't say I can grasp the whole of it with my feeble mind but it does intrigue me.

Well, if it's any help to your writing endeavors, personally I've always found unfinished towers under construction to be interesting symbol of evil so vast and absolute as to be almost unknowable.

The final goal or outcome being something so horrific, that even being unfinished it remains an icon of fear.
>>
>>54983335
Isn't committing an evil act for the sole pleasure of it technically a motivation or justification?
>>
>>54980106
Maybe, there is a problem with protagonists of the story? If the "good guys" are just weak, amorph slime of a character and don't even take anything seriously, how can you hope of a villain with strong character and pure evil ideology behind him.
>>
>>54980106
I don't know how many times I've explained this on this board by now. It's a cycle. It didn't start anywhere. One generation grows up with black-and-white stories about heroic heroes fighting villanous villains, and when it becomes time for them to tell their own stories they decide that it would be more refreshing if the heroes weren't entirely in the right and if the villains were a little more relateable and sympathetic. And so we get a new generation that grows up with grey-and-grey stories about anti-heroes and misunderstood villains, and when it becomes time for them to tell their own stories they decide that it would be more refreshing to tell simpler adventure stories about dashing heroes and monstrous villains. And so the cycle continues.
>>
>>54980628
conservatives in the bible belt literally believe this though
>>
>>54980106
It didn't start, you just grew older and outgrew the stories where such villains belong - tales for children.
>>
>>54983871
Care to share examples of this cycle? Because I couldn't think of examples for this. When there was a time of grey villans en masse, tortured by society, nature and so on?
>>
>When you make your main villian a real God of Evil without any real justification.
>>
>>54980106
Well, look, here's how it goes:
If the antagonist represents some aspect of human life, one that brings suffering, such as natural disasters, or unrestricted violence, they can have no redeeming qualities. There's no good side to everybody in your village drowning in a flash flood.

However, as our societies become insulated from most natural threats, you know, people can still die in a hurricane, but cities aren't wiped out, tribes don't disappear because of a few bad harvests, etc, we look elsewhere to see the source of our suffering.
And, naturally, we look to each other.
In our stories, the villain is overrun by his dark side, his primal urges and he doesn't check them. The hero, meanwhile, is the man in a state of balance, someone who could fuck your shit up, but doesn't, and who rises against tyrants and madmen.
The wise hero overthrows the tyrant king and takes his place, becoming a good king under which his people flourish, that kind of deal.
Now, not all stories are about this, especially not religious stories.
Our stories have always divided the line between good and evil pretty clearly in how one uses their power.

I think the cultural turning point for this is in the aftermath of WW2. We saw that people, regular people, are capable of monumental evil. Moreover, we saw that we can work with our mortal enemies against other mortal enemies who present a greater threat.
There's also the case to be made that some of our ambivalence towards moral absolutes comes from sympathizers of that evil, or those who would claim moral relativism, which is a fairly new phenomenon.

So...just a number? It begins in the '60s, subtly, but only takes off in the 70s and the 80s and 90s are the most obvious results.
>>
File: 50013520_p0.jpg (1001KB, 800x935px) Image search: [Google]
50013520_p0.jpg
1001KB, 800x935px
Blatantly evil cultists that just want to destroy the world or something like that are fun.

Mostly evil but have a logical or relatable reason for doing what they do is also good. Like Teyrn Loghain.

It's important to mix them up from time to time, and to remember that variety is the spice of life.
>>
>>54983555
Monsters have to cause suffering, like in your point â„–4, and not suffer themselves like in others. Better luck with baits next time.
>>
>>54984122

I'm lovin the Hunter entering the Hunter's Dream just to have the Doll land a DDT on his ass.
>>
>>54984078
Byronic (anti)heroes and gothic genre in XIX century, then black and white of golden age/pulp era fiction for working masses.
>>
People who view fiction as black vs white morality plays are incredibly boring, sheltered people who have fallen so hard for the "just world" fallacy they're bordering on proposing. Having different cultures have different, alien values is interesting, but every culture has a core of "good" that they try to propegate. Leaving a deformed baby to die in the woods is horrific to a human, but orcs would find it unthinkable to let a child grow up deformed, knowing they may never be able to contribute to the tribe.

Morality isn't an objective thing. It's not even a real thing, it's a collective social construct.
>>
>>54984170

Aren't Byronic heroes are pretty much just charismatic villains?
The whole shtick is that they know they're bad guys and don't care.

I mean, I assume OP wanted an antagonist who did evil things for what he believed to be good reason. Not shitty things just because he could and thought the world should fuck off.
>>
>>54984205

10/10 this triggered me hard
>>
>>54980106
I never liked moral grays. I think even villains should have some depth, but I think they should be evil, I don't need relateable but it's good if they're understandable. Wanna know the man I'm killing, but I still want to kill him y'know?
>>
File: 1501605137726.jpg (83KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1501605137726.jpg
83KB, 400x800px
>>54980751
say what
>>
>>54982729
>but tyrone and schlomo brought all the snacks today
>>
>>54983982
And they're right.
>>
File: watch_out_for_the_edge.png (220KB, 373x327px) Image search: [Google]
watch_out_for_the_edge.png
220KB, 373x327px
>>54984205
>>
>>54982729
>Hi! I'm an asshole
Jump off bridge plz
>>
>>54984238

I'm a firm believer in a time and place for everything. However I do agree the most garbage villains are the "DID NOTHING WRONG" ones.

I've been loving Fist of the North Star for just that reason. You get to know some of the villains but at the end of the day they are still shitbags who don't even know they are dead.
>>
>>54984286
>>54984308
>t. liberacucks
>>
>>54984208
Well I think there is more characters beside protagonist, antagonist and their immediate supporters. Unlike main characters, this extras usually have no story arc to explain their behavior beside it being "factory default", thus problem lies in "always evil" descriptions of sentient beings and thoughtless murderhobo behavior of so called good guys.
>>
>>54984329

I'm an Aries thank you very much.
>>
>>54984355

>characters beside protagonist, antagonist and their immediate supporters

There is literally not.

Well, technically you would change "immediate supporters" to "supporting characters" and that is all the characters in a story.
>>
>>54980106
What is evil anyway? You kill others not for being evil, but for being hostile combatants resisting your agenda.
>>
File: necrons_ooooo.gif (404KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
necrons_ooooo.gif
404KB, 550x600px
>>54984401
>>
>>54984363
>Well, technically you would change "immediate supporters" to "supporting characters" and that is all the characters in a story.
But that changes the whole meaning of the statement. "Immediate supporters" means characters who offer support to the protagonist or the antagonist in their endeavors to achieve their respective goals. "Supporting characters" by your definition refers to any character who doesn't fall into the first two categories in the list, which means it tautologically covers everything.
>>
>>54980667
The answer is: it's boring. Oh the walking exp dispensers are doing their cliche March for world domination again. I wonder what thrilling character stories we can enjoy when our characters meet them? Maybe we will attack them with our weapons, or maybe they will attack us with their weapons. Such depth.
>>
>>54984418

Yeah, I thought your statement was pointless.

So I changed it to something remotely useful.
>>
>>54984441

> March for world domination again

Again? No wonder this adventure sounds boring, several factions have already marched for world domination.
>>
>>54984455

Honestly it's kind of interesting. Especially if the GM has good world building skills or at least a cool story why none of them succeed.
>>
>>54984468

>It's actually not boring if I put in a bunch of stuff personally to make it sound more interesting
>>
>>54982803
IF YOU KILL HIM YOU WILL BE JUST LIKE HIM
>>
>>54984494

If you kill your enemies, they win.
>>
>>54984494
>>54984499

omg this logic is the most triggering thing I have ever seen.

Like, when I first saw it the story put in character reasons talking about it and exploring it. The concept had weight and made sense for the character.

Now it's like I see it and people just assume it's a big deal cuz "lul he iz gud guy"
>>
>>54984329
>when you are against liberty
how about you have a democratic vote for a dictatorship?
>>
>>54984504
It's always been a vacuous statement.
It assumes good and heroism come from innocence or naivete.
It does not.
Sheepdogs are descended from wolves, they have the same capacity for violence. Shit, I've seen two sheepdogs run off a bear.
Point is, a hero is someone who could be a villain, but chooses not to be. By doing the right thing.
Which, incidentally, means killing the bad guys in societies where incarceration isn't possible.
Sometimes killing them even then, if they're too dangerous to live.
>>
>>54984559

Yeah, like I do think that we need to have thought about how actually hard it is to get a person to kill anther person, but at the same time saying "lul no killiez" is dumb as fuck.
>>
>>54980106
Do you mean individual characters or whole races?

I think the latter happens mostly when writers expand the fluff of a fantasy setting and try to answer questions like "how do those orcs/gnolls/whatever live when they're not fighting?", "how do they procure food and tools?", "how do they manage to not kill each other off even though they're bloodthirsty and evil?". So the writers give them some form of social organization with a language, a crude economy or barter system, females and child-rearing practices, laws and customs, etc. After a while they look less and less like a swarm of vermin to be exterminated and more like sentient beings who fight and raid because it's in their culture rather than because they're innately evil.

Not saying that it happens every time but it's quite common. Orcs seem particularly susceptible to it (muh noble savage, muh shaman).
>>
>>54984291
Well they wouldn't be left if they're conservatives.
>>
>>54984614
> writers expand the fluff of a fantasy setting and fuck up answering questions like

ftfy
>>
File: lame.jpg (213KB, 600x707px) Image search: [Google]
lame.jpg
213KB, 600x707px
>>54980751
>depth at the expense of archetypal character strength is lame
This is particularly amusing when read as:
>depth at the expense of archetypal character strength is lamé
>>
File: carlos.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>54984626
>>
>>54983174
>latent racism
You're one of those people who think that zombie fiction is all an excuse for people to fantasize about genociding minorities, I'll bet.
>>
>>54980106
Welp, since we can't decide, I'll address both questions.

The idea that a specific fictional character shouldn't just be evil by default is dumb.
Sometimes, people are just evil for no clear, apparent reason and whether that's because there is no reason or because the reason is too subtle for us to discern is effectively the same.
Plus, evil robots are a thing.

The idea that a specific fictional character shouldn't just be evil by default is understandable, but not necessarily true.
Like another anon pointed out, demons are a thing.
But they would be necessarily foreign and alien to human life.
Describing more human-like races like orcs as "just evil" is often lazy and shallow.
Personally, I describe my race of not!orcs as having their own perspective, morality, culture, and beliefs, all of which include eating your face.
The PCs are not free to kill them on sight because they are Evil, but because they will likely eat their faces.
>>
>>54984779

>but because they likely eat faces
Which makes them evil.

It's not even a point of view thing.
They actively flay and consume human flesh.
They're not just inhuman, which often means they're incompatible, they actively hurt humans.
What did you think Evil meant?
>>
>>54984819
>What did you think Evil meant?
Apparently you think it means "they actively hurt humans", which makes humans evil.

If a dragon eats a human, does that make it evil, or hungry?
What if it was a starving lion?

It boils down to whether or not "killing humans for food" is an Evil act for any race that does it.
Which depends.
>>
>>54984871

A lion is not evil, a lion has no conception of anything other than eating for food and fighting for territory.
A sated lion is pretty chill.

A dragon, however, *does* have a conception of self and others. It understands it has the capacity to cause suffering.
If it does so anyway, it is evil, like a human.
If it doesn't, then it simply has the capacity for evil, like a human.

If your not!orcs just act in ways that cause suffering, and understand that other beings exist and feel pain, they're evil. It doesn't much matter why they do it.
>>
>>54984447
That's the exact opposite of what you did. You changed a statement that references specific types of characters into a useless statement that includes all possible character types through "X or not-X" logic.
>>
>>54984871
If a lord feasts while the peasants who till his land and produce his food starve, is he evil?

>>54984559
Heroism requires self-sacrifice. If a hero goes against the laws and customs to kill a villain, he should then surrender himself and face the penalty for murder. Otherwise he's just an opportunist murderer. Ends do not justify the means, if you don't believe that you are no hero.
>>
>>54984900
>Having a conception of self and others, understanding it has the capacity to cause suffering, and choosing to do so anyway is Evil.
Fair enough.
By this definition, my not!orcs have an Evil culture.
Technically, they could change their way of life so they do not need to eat other races for food, but change is hard, faces taste good, and why fix what isn't broken when it's easier to justify eating those outside your tribe as being fine?

But they are still not Evil as a racial trait.
Any one individual not!orc is perfectly capable of not being Evil, but is not very likely to be.
>>
>>54984924
>If a lord feasts while the peasants who till his land and produce his food starve, is he evil?
Well, that's an evil act anyway.
Committing evil acts doesn't necessarily make you automatically evil.
>>
>>54984924

This really depends on the law of the place in question.
I mean, where I'm from, defending yourself "with excessive means" is illegal. This means that if a dude breaks into my house, I gotta fisticuffs him unless he pulls a knife, and then I can't use too big of a stick or I go to prison.
In the US, you can shoot a burglar.

We're departing from the moral dilemma to one of legalism.
Let me ask you this:
Is the Joker not clearly guilty beyond redemption?
In any semi-realistic world, would he not be executed?
The cops in Gotham surely shoot live bullets, right? They're empowered to kill, because they're accountable.
Batman *isn't* accountable, which is why he doesn't kill.
It's not about self-sacrifice, it's about not enforcing personal judgements in a society that has sophisticated means of judging others.
Although, really, a couple of Arkham guards should just bite the bullet and execute 90% of the population.
>>
>>54984989
Capeshit has very little to do with moral dilemmas. Most of the characters and plots barely have any internal logic and you should just take them at face value - man children like to look at their favorite men-in-tights get into "like totally cool fights bro" and the creators of the comics provide.

>>54984988
Why is it an evil act? The lord is a proper owner of the land and all its splendor, the peasants just occupy it.

If a prince ends up in a succession war with another contender, is it an evil act for him to send men to die in his name?
>>
>>54985041
>Why is it an evil act?
He has a conception of himself and others, he understands that he has the capacity to cause suffering, and chooses to do so anyway.
It is Evil.

>If a prince ends up in a succession war with another contender, is it an evil act for him to send men to die in his name?
War is so full of evil acts that war itself might be considered an evil act.
War is also sometimes a necessary act.
Such is life.
>>
>>54985041

As I pointed out in the self defense example, the law isn't the arbiter of good. It's the arbiter of order.

Robin Hood was the good guy because he fought against a tyrannical ruler.
30 years ago, it was a crime to own Jeans in my country.
Before '89, you could go to prison for saying the wrong thing.
40 years ago, you could be sent away and nobody would hear from you ever again.
A prince with a legal claim pursues it using the accepted tools of his time. Which is usually violence.
The Lord of a land is also responsible for his serfs. If he's got a surplus, he's expected to help alleviate the famine.
Unless you mean he's just wealthy and the peasants are poor. That's kind of the way things were. We could say it was a less just society than ours, but it was the best one at the time.
>>
>>54985085

Yo, don't forget son, unless he's actively causing the famine by taking their food, then yes, absolutely evil.
If he just has a lot of food in a famine, he's not evil for having, or even wasting it. He's just a dick.
>>
>>54980106
Everyone reaches that point. It starts with you loving your cartoon heroes defending the world. Then your teenage years hit and you're all up for the edgy bad guys because you believe your new contrarian worldview somehow makes you more mature.
And then you actually mature and realise that, although there are people whose behaviour truly is malicious, it is rarely because they are arbitrarily "evil", but because of an deeper goal that they pursue with reckless disregard for others, or they are disturbed on a psychological level that compels them to be aggressive and harmful to others. There is always a reason.
So making characters unapolegtically evil just doesn't cut it for you, anymore.
Mind you, you're not obligated to explain to your players those reasons, and neither are you obligated to show that grey morality. But you should always be aware of it, and you should never assume otherwise.
Demons are excluded from this. You can still whack it to your succubus waifu, though.
>>
>>54985087
If the law, something created by many to service many, isn't the arbiter of good, what makes you think your personal opinion is any more qualified?
>>
>>54985140

I just gave you some examples of unjust law.

Law, in the modern, democratic times, is generally just, or at least as impartial as people can make it.

Not so in the Soviet Union.
Not so in Nazi Germany.
Not so in any other time before the modern age.
The law was, more or less, what people thought was moral, not the other way around.
>>
>>54984205
Good on you anon.
>>
>>54984170
Then back to anti-heroes and noir crime dramas in the 50's and 60's, and then Star Wars came around and made heroic fiction cool again.
>>
>>54980106
Because "evil" is just a word describign things we don't like. Nobody, under any reason, would ever consider themselves to be evil, because what they do is always what they think is the right thing to do (unless you're lazy and don't do shit, but that's still not evil, just lazy).
A liche who feels like taking over the world saying "I do this because it's the evil thing to do" is absolutely ridiculous. There is always a reason why the bad guys do what they do, and even if the entire world finds it evil, it's not inherently evil in the their minds.
A dark sorceror who wants to destroy humanity more often than not does it because he finds the entire humanity evil. A guy who makes deals with demons to get power does it because he thinks he deserves to be above everybody else, and needs that power to achieve such position.
At the end of the day, even literal biblical demons did the things they did becuase they liked it, and thus found it a nice thing to do, not because it was evil.
In fact, the cases of "it's evil ebcause that's how it is" in media are a huge minority, and usually used exclusively on tales for kids, to teach them about what they should not do or they'd be just like thatbad, evil guy.
>>
>>54985318

I hope you're trying to be edgy and non-sensical.

Let's take the following example:
X flies to Pakistan.
X purchases 6 year old child slave.
X fucks the child to death.
X partially consumes the body.
X returns to his nice Western country.

Y does none of these things. Y lives like most people do, sometimes he's a dick, sometimes he's nice.

You would argue X and Y are morally equivalent?
Or would you say X has certain behaviors that set him apart from others?
That these behaviors, and by necessity, views, make him stand out?

And, if you had to generalize a word to describe these behaviors, what would that word be?
>>
>>54980106
>>54980658
>>54980667
>>54984441
>>54984455

The reason for it is also because, logically, no such race should be capable of surviving for terribly long.

It's the Slytherin House question, namely "if everyone associated with it turns evil, why don't they just start genociding?"

the idea of a 'not all orcs' stance, while a bit contrived, does mean you have reasons to not just burn down every orc stronghold you see and feel no guilt about it.
>>
>>54985101
>If he just has a lot of food in a famine, he's not evil for having, or even wasting it. He's just a dick.
See:
>>54985087
>The Lord of a land is also responsible for his serfs. If he's got a surplus, he's expected to help alleviate the famine.
>>
>>54985409
Is X rich and part of the higher social class?
>>
>>54985409
>You would argue X and Y are morally equivalent?
There's no such thing as a moral equivalent

That aside, you're missing the whole point. I'm not arguing who is more or less evil than who, I'm saying that when somebody takes an action, there's always a reason, and that reason is never "I'll do it because that's evil and I like being evil". Nobody is evil in their own minds.
>>
>>54985463
Creating a weird thought experiment that exists in a vacuum is entirely pointless, anyhow.

People who do things like X don't generally function in society; they're a misfit and a burden. A well-adjusted member of society doesn't just go out and murder or rape someone, trying to apply the same moral standards to these completely different classes of people is pointless and the reason why we have a legal code that in theory applies fair punishments for well-defined breaches of accepted social conduct.

You could absolutely find someone who kills children because a dog told them to. They are malfunctioning and not a member of society, not "evil".
>>
>>54985528
Okay? How does any of what you said relate to the matter at hands? This is not about being a functioning member on society, it's about the concept of creatures born inherently evil or villains being evil without any proper reason for it, just for the pleasure of evilness itself.
>>
>>54985528

You're using different words to describe the same thing.
Someone who can't live with others, and causes suffering.
They're not just bunglers, it's on purpose.

You're creating these different categorizations without delineating what they're supposed to represent.

So, X, is malfunctioning.
What is evil?

Fun aside:
"mal" : latin root "mala" = "bad".
Bad functioning.
>>
>>54985449

Those are both me, btw.
In feudal conceptions of obligation and Christian traditions, the Lord has a duty to alleviate their famines, if it's a result of war or bad weather. His right to rule is morally guaranteed by the Grace of God, after all.
If they decided to fight each other and raze their fields, he doesn't have to do squat.

In modern terms, he doesn't owe them anything beyond protection from outside threats, since those are more strictly the terms of the contract.

Our moral judgements tend to change depending on what's at stake.
>>
>>54980763
But Garrosh did everything wrong.
>>
File: 1498071661827.jpg (184KB, 920x673px) Image search: [Google]
1498071661827.jpg
184KB, 920x673px
>>54980106
When people started to question how cultures with villages, forts and such could ever build or maintain those things if they were constantly at each others throats.

>>54983088
>I like the idea of good or "average" orcs or hobgoblins
That's how I see it. I still have "truly evil" in my fantasy campaigns by using madmen worshipping evil gods, thralls, undead and demons.
>>
>>54980703
Balloon tits were a mistake
>>
>>54985463
In real life that's true but we're talking fantasy
>>
>>54984819
>>54984900
t. radical vegan internet commando
>>
>>54986178
Sure, but it simply doens't make sense from any perspective.
As has already pointed out before, a society composed on inherently evil guys would crumble upon itself because they'd be killing each other all the time, effectively destroying their own civilization.
An inherently evil individual who always chooses the most evil option available instead of, say, taking the one that gives him an advantage over others, would quickly find himself getting killed because the most evil options available are, more foten than not, also the worst choices you can make.

>but he doesn't HAVE to always take the most evil choice
If his decisions are actually based on anything else that's not just evilness itself, then he is not inherently evil and therefore doesn't fall in the "evil because why not" trope.
>>
>>54986186

I'm not a vegan, son.
It's possible to raise healthy, happy animals for food.
And humans need to eat animals.
It's no more evil than the lion doing it.

Animals can't understand the future. They don't understand they're going to die.
They just know they're safe and not hungry and we let them breed.
So long as we don't keep them confined to tiny cages stacked on top of one another and actually let them move around, they don't suffer needlessly.

Factory farms are fucked up and illegal pretty much everywhere outside the US.
>>
>>54986356
Question, are they also illegal in China and India?
>>
>>54985528
>They are malfunctioning and not a member of society, not "evil".
You can be both malfunctioning and not a member of society and still be Evil.
>>
>>54980106
Warcraft orcs act like Chad Uruks half the time, then swing about pretending to be honorable and shamanistic when it suits them to look good.

Camps were too good for them, none of them should have been allowed to survive past the second war.
>>
>>54986447

Let me rephrase that then:
In the Western world.
You know, the actually civilized places.
>>
>>54986587
You mean the places that don't have to feed in excess of 320 million people, and in many cases have less than 10% of that?
>>
>>54986568
But anon, Doomhammer did nothing wrong.
>>
>>54980796
Which Warcraft (which OP is attempting to make fun) is doing perfectly well. The main playable factions have a grey morality, but there's also the Burning Legion that's just a legion of baddies to fuck up.
>>
>>54986625

You know Europe has over seven hundred million people, right?
Turkey is excluded from that.

What's your point, anyway?
I've previously said that we are as kind as we can afford to be, according to our circumstances.

Having secure, prosperous societies allows us to extend our consideration of suffering beyond ourselves and our immediate community.

If we lived 5000 years ago, we'd think it's perfectly normal to enslave the people from the next valley over.
>>
>>54980106
Pure evil race or villain is a logical impossibility.
Forget your childish dualistic philosophies evil couldn't exist without good, good on the other hand can exist without evil. Evil is merely perverted imperfect from of good.
For example stealing is evil, right? But if you steal something you want you feel good and feeling good is good therefore this evil action of stealing stems from goodness not from evil."Pure" evil characters literally cannot exist and any attempt to create them is retarded if they could exist they would kill themselves instantly. Sympathetic villains are natural evolution from illogical "pure" evil villains. Only a contrarian would disagree
>>
>>54984205
How's 8th grade? You enjoying Rick and Morty I take it?
>>
>>54984205
>morality not objective
Stopped reading right there
>>
>>54984441
>The answer is: it's boring.
the question in the OP was "WHEN" not "WHY" dumbass
>>
>>54984205
Very few things are not on some level objective. Almost everything can be put to numbers.
>>
>>54986674
>Which Warcraft (which OP is attempting to make fun) is doing perfectly well.
retconning all the previous antagonists to be dindus and using "muh corruption" as an excuse is not "doing perfectly well". It would be fine to introduce NEW antagonists that were gray but retconning previous antagonists to "actually they were being manipulated all along, the genocide was totally not their fault" is shitty writing.
>>
>>54986740

Jesus Christ.
Is this a pasta?
Where you trying to sound as retarded as possible?

You've made me decide to petition for the Internet to be written solely in Classical Latin.
Only then can we be free of this evil.
>>
>>54984989
>If a dude breaks into my house I gotta fisticuffs him
What kind of piece of shit country are you from? In the US we can stab, shoot, and do just about anything else to an unlawful home invader. I wouldn't want to live in a country where someone who breaks into my house is protected from me by the law.
>>
>>54986806

In Communist countries, property rights do not matter as much as you potentially damaging one of the state's assets(people).
We haven't been officially Communist for over two decades, but a lot of the legislation hasn't caught up.
>>
>>54983174
>latent racism.
you can't be racist against fictional creatures.
>>
>>54986801
Not an argument cupcake :)
>>
>>54983555
>So making a modern monster that is scarier to modern audiences:
all you need is
>- They vote for a political party the target audience disagrees with
>>
>>54985463
That's bullshit though. Watch interviews with serial killers and you'll see some show no remorse at all. No justification. They just liked it. They liked harming others. Some even say they're evil, and say it proudly.
You obnoxious little twerp, I genuinely feel bad for your naive way of thinking.
>>
>>54986806
We can't even do that. You just gotta call the police and lock yourself In The bathroom.
>>
>>54986818

The only thing that post argues for is a thorough eugenics program.
I have less faith in the human race than I did previously.
You sir, you truly deserve your Reddit Gold.
>>
>>54986740
>>
>>54986852 #
>>54986878 #
So can you faggots tell that is wrong with my post or are you going to keep posting reaction images?
>>
>>54986852
>having faith in the human race
>having faith in any race
>not realizing that the material realm was a mistake
>>
>>54987009
>feeling good is good therefore this evil action stems from goodness
That's your justification. Dribbling sophists like you that excuse evil should remove your stain from the world. It's that simple.
>>
Damn, that brings me back to those days of young IB when trolls were crude and desperate.
>>
>>54986991

It sounds like something a 14 year old wrote after binge watching all of Naruto.

a) >childish dualistic philosphies
Don't insult people if you want to make a point.

b) every philosophical school has a notion of good and bad. Except postmodern thought.

2. >Evil is merely perverted imperfect from of good.
I presume the example will explain what you mean....Oh, wait, no. It's gibberish.

Let's break it down.
>Stealing is evil
From pretty much every facet of consideration, unless you believe the notion of property itself is immoral, but then you'd be making the case for theft from the species.
> But if you steal something you want you feel good
Go on.
>and feeling good is good
It might be your limited vocabulary working against you.
Obtaining what you want gives you *pleasure*.
Feeling pleasure is not inherently good, that is to say, good just because it exists.
Hedonists might say pleasure is the only good, but then they would claim suffering is evil. Pain and suffering are not the same either.

>therefore this evil action of stealing stems from goodness not from evil
Nope. Again, confusing pleasure with good.
Doing good things does not necessarily cause pleasure. Similarly, doing evil does not have to cause *you* suffering.
The rest of the post is pretty much incoherent, unless I try to torture myself just to explain why it's wrong.
But, since it's based on your earlier premises, which are clearly faulty, I don't have to.
>>
>>54987100
You misunderstand
I am not excusing evil I am simply pointing out that evil is imperfect form of good and It can't exist without goodness also I told that dualism is retarded
>>
>>54987143
Fucked up linking to you, somehow.
>>54987142

Also: Jesus Christ. It's like watching a man eating shit and laughing.
>>
>>54983626
Yes, but the point is that a true villain doesn't dress up that motivation or try and provide any justification for what he's doing other than evil itself, or the simple fact that they find it fun. I miss the villains that just OWN the fact that they're evil and instead try and come up with a million justifications for why they're not or why it's "necessary".

There was a surprisingly great bit in a Transformers comic, I think one of the Dreamwave ones, that touched on this. The comic itself was otherwise bad, but Megatron got at least one great scene in it. Basically some human had previously been trying to remote-control Megatron and he'd since broken out of the remote-control, freed the other Decepticons, and was now enacting some plan while he dragged the human around like an abusive pet owner drags around a retarded puppy. And while he did he pointed out that humans live such short, fleeting lives that we have no proper understanding of "good" or "evil" in the universe, no time to properly figure out where we as individuals lie on the moral and ethical compass. Which is why humans can argue back and forth about whether or not person X was evil or whether or not person Y's actions were good - we lack the perspective of time that the millions-years-old Cybertronians have.

Then Megatron wanders off with the human, and meanwhile one of the other Decepticons asks Starscream what Megatron's plan is. And Starscream - himself millions of years old - responds with "Who cares? With Megatron, you know it's going to be evil - and evil is always so much *fun*."
>>
>>54984694
It's funny when the zombie fiction has the one of the highest rates of survival for black characters in the horror genre.
>>
>>54987158
To be fair to the guy, he is probably attempting to make a somewhat legitimate point about inherently normative charater of human nature, which is fundamental to quite a few contemporary meta-ethical theories of realist persuasion, as well as to pretty much every single virtue-based normative system ever since the old man Aristotle himself.
>>
>>54980106
Middle school for most people, college for Americans.
>>
>>54987340
Yeah something like that.
>>
>>54986790
Sure, but those numbers and the math done on them will be shaped by the people who use and interpret those numbers.
Utilitarianism, the "numbers ethic" model, demands some absolutely silly things if "maximize happiness" is taken literally. We don't want a drugged-up slaveland, but that's one possible endgame for utilitarianism.

And most other ethical models are dependent on the culture they're placed in. SCT is completely dependent on the society, Divine Law is dependent on the religion, etc.
A 30 year old man marrying and functionally owning a 14 year old woman is abhorrent by modern western ethics, but go back two and a half millennia and it was normal. In fact, it would be the woman who refused to marry or obey who would be held to be acting unethically.
About the only ethical model that's invariant is Kant's, but it's so far removed from "common sense" morality as to be useless.

You absolutely cannot distance ethics from the people who are talking about them because ethics are shaped by people.
>>
>>54987344
Hey, we're the ones who grow up with Superman plugged into our brains. Deprogramming(?) takes longer.
>>
>>54984122
God, now whenever I see that image I think of that guy who fed a vegan pancakes because he only uses that image.
>>
File: Make It Big (Phone).jpg (165KB, 707x936px) Image search: [Google]
Make It Big (Phone).jpg
165KB, 707x936px
>>54985970
How about a balloon butt?
Balloon Butt Evil Girl?
>>
>>54992299
Ballon were a mistake
>>
>>54988337
"Drugged up slaveland" is the only form of utopia that is actually possible. Brave New World did nothing wrong.
>>
>>54992499
It may be the only realistic means of total happiness, but it sure as hell isn't one most people would opt into.
>>
>>54986846
100% of the time those guys suffered some serious traumas as children and act on revenge or their mind was twisted like that, which implies that there's a reason for their actions and they weren't born inherently evil.
I like how you call me naive but then believe the words of a serial killer to be 100% true and totally not something their minds has made them believe as truth.
>>
>>54985429

>It's the Slytherin House question, namely "if everyone associated with it turns evil, why don't they just start genociding?"

NOT ALL PEOPLE IN SLYTHERIN ARE FUCKING EVIL

AND YES SUCH RACES CAN SURVIVE FOR TERRIBLY LONG

Our own history shows evil societies that collapse only when the people within realize they don't want to be in an evil society and/or outside forces causes it to collapse.

>does mean you have reasons to not just burn down every orc stronghold you see and feel no guilt about it.
>every other kingdom is hunky-dory love each other and won't take advantage of people sending armies to take care of orc strongholds

The whole argument of "hurr durr evil races cant exist cuz bluh bluh bluh" always ignores the rest of the setting to create a strawman argument.
>>
>>54986328

>As has already pointed out before, a society composed on inherently evil guys would crumble upon itself because they'd be killing each other all the time

Hey! Good realization why orcs are always depicted as a more tribal culture. Aren't you the smartest kid in the class?
>>
File: 49d.jpg (47KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
49d.jpg
47KB, 600x549px
>>54992526
>>54992499
>>
>>54992526
That's an argument against people. There's a lot of free information and cultural memes floating around, and most of them have a sinister purpose.
>>
File: darkness 1.gif (801KB, 245x175px) Image search: [Google]
darkness 1.gif
801KB, 245x175px
>>54992751
>having hope
>>
>>54992767
Well no shit. Every single argument against utopias boil down to human failings.
If you didn't have to deal with humans being human, even a third grader could govern a utopia.
>>
>>54992719
Dude, the tribalism does not solve that fucking problem. The tribalism is associated with Orks because tribalism is associated with primitive or unrefined, crude societies: with barbarism.

It is not an answer to "society composed of evil beings would not survive", because that applies to tribes as much as it applies to any higher and more refined forms of social organization.
>>
>>54992821
>implying human failings are human alone
>implying Life itself isn't the root of the problem

A virus is the purest form of Life. It reproduces and expands, considering nothing else, and destroys all it touches.
>>
>>54992821
All you have to do is excise humanity and you're good. Sin is weighting down the human race and the only way out is either by drugging your balls off, transcending via Childhood Ends or inventing an AI god and handing it the reins.
>>
>>54992879
Excising humanity only removes one symptom of the disease that afflicts this universe. The chimpanzees, the dolphins, the octopodes, the corvids - all of them are just as dangerous, left unchecked.

Even the plants despoil everything they touch.
>>
>>54986815
>you can't be racist against fictional creatures.
You lack imagination.
>>
>>54992893
Berserker pls go, there's no goodlife sympathizers here.
>>
>>54992863
>A virus is the purest form of Life. It reproduces and expands, considering nothing else, and destroys all it touches.
They're making you re-do Bio 1 before you graduate, aren't they?
>>
>>54992821
>Well no shit. Every single argument against utopias boil down to human failings.
Actually, no.
Most arguments against utopias boil down to the fact that it's an inherent impossibility. It's literally IN THE NAME. As "utopia" means "not-a-place", or "impossible place". It's not about failings of humanity, it's about fundamental misunderstanding of the WHOLE WORLD as it is, on every level possible.
So not, it's not that people are failing, it's that it's an absurd, self-contradictory goal.
>>
>>54992863
A virus is about as much alive as a computer script that copies itself over and over.

It's simply not.
>>
>>54992841

>I have no idea how orc tribes are structured
>>
>>54980106
Aren't orcs super rapey in tons of settings while uruk hai are born from mud?
>>
>>54992969
That's just cynical bullshit. There can be utopia and peace on Earth if you first remove the human failings. Just nerve staple the drones.
>>
>>54992992
You are right. Because ork tribes are not a real thing. That is absolutely besides the point.
>>
>>54992879
>>54992893

I need more EDGY reaction pictures.
>>
>>54992969

>I perfectly understand the world
>>
>>54993024

>orcs in settings never have their tribal structure described
>>
>>54993027
Edgy is teleporting behind a totally evil guy and eviscerating them with your hanzo steel while quipping.

Accepting that humanity is sinful and flawed is the core foundation of most spiritual and religious movements and the opposite of edgy.

Nirvana, Heaven, Technological Singularity are what happens when you remove the flawed nature of mankind.
>>
>>54993013

>humans are incapable of controlling their actions
>>
>>54992941
Came here to say this

Makes >>54992863 way funnier

>>54992989
Well, it's really semantics on how we define what "alive" is. Being comprised of cells currently excludes viruses (and self-propagating scripts), but that's a fairly arbitrary distinction.
>>
>>54993067

> the core foundation of most spiritual and religious movements

Literal lie.
>>
>>54993067
Do you truly believe you are special, even in the evils you commit?
>>
>>54993013
>That's just cynical bullshit.
That is not cynical, nor bullshit. It's actually self-preservation. NOTHING has caused as much harm in human society than the delusion of utopia, the incredibly arrogant rejection of reality as it is, and the hope that human reason can lead to ideas better than reality. I'm not shitting about this at all.

Also, it's basic etymology.
>There can be utopia and peace on Earth if you first remove the human failings.
Utopia is a state of theoretical stability that the very existence of entropy and all subsequent effects it has, namely evolution and it's by-product, LIFE ITSELF does not permit. The moment you start ignoring or trying to circumvent the absolution of reality is the moment you are committing a very painful suicide. The flaws of humanity are flaws of reality that forms us. They exist for a reason.

>>54993047
Not perfectly, but better than you for sure.
>>
>>54983555

Hmmm...

A modern world where some kinds of magic cause physical and mental corruption, forcing the practitioners to isolate themselves is hidden, filthy locations. The best way to fuel these magics is with the suffering and death of human sacrifices, turning these people into modern-day boogeymen.

This also means that more reputable wizards are obsessed with appearances, using magic to fund extravagant lifestyles and keep themselves immaculate. This feeds into society's obsession with beauty, sharply dividing people into the beautiful elite and everyone else, where ugliness or slovenliness means having people wonder if you worship demons.

Too much?
>>
>>54993125

>admits he doesn't perfectly understand the world
>makes sweeping generalizations as though they are absolute fact
>>
>>54993067
>Nirvana
You do realize that when Buddha described nirvana, he described DEATH, not heaven, right? It's an escape from existence (very attractive to people who sincerely believe in reincarnation, which is actually really fucking terrifying prospect). So it's not exactly the same as "heaven".

Maybe you meant Samadhi instead, which is at least somewhat closer to that idea.
>>
>>54993130
And these evil magi are headquartered in the Holy Woods.
>>
>>54993125

>NOTHING has caused as much harm in human society than the delusion of utopia

Literal lie.
>>
>>54993150
What you think of as christian heaven is a product of materialistic capitalism that swept through the west and nothing else.

At the core it's transcendence and acceptance of your place in the divine plan. You cease to be you.
>>
>>54993125
Surely a supervolcanic eruption and subsequent genetic bottleneck has caused more harm.
>>
>>54992863
A virus isn't alive though, it's basically just an organelle fragment with mRNA in it, you know, the stuff your ribosomes use to manufacture protein?
>>
>>54993148
Unless you admit that your knowledge is at least equally as imperfect and thus that you have absolutely no right (according to your own judgement) to make justified assumptions - and therefor no right to fucking post your inane bullshit, you can just shut up.

>>54993159
Except for religious and ideological wars being predicated almost exclusively on utopistic thinking. 20th century alone saw somewhere between 50-100 million dead people and perhaps some of the most intense and wide-spread suffering ever happening on this planet and it was exclusively because people got caught up in utopian ideas. Now add religioun-motivated purges and wars and you'll find out that really, nothing causes as much needless suffering as this shit.

>>54993184
>What you think of as christian heaven is a product of materialistic capitalism that swept through the west and nothing else.
What a fucking joke and delusion. No. That is really not the case. Just fucking open, I don't know Swedeborg to see what actual christians long before capitalism fucking thought of heaven and we'll talk again.

>>54993190
In human society. That is of the things people can have control over. Sorry for not being clear on that.
>>
>>54993184
I believe the conventional catholic explanation is that you sit in the presence of God in a state of absolute contentment.

Frankly I find the concept horrifying.

Not that guy.
>>
>>54986740
I was with you up until the part that you equated feeling good with the concept of 'Good'.

I could rape a woman and I would feel good, in that I derived pleasure, but it wasn't a good thing I did, since I not only harmed another human being, but I perverted my body in doing so.

Now, there is an argument to be made about the intent behind certain actions, for example stealing to survive or to help someone else survive rather than stealing to simply enrich myself. But that, in and of itself does not mean the stealing isn't normally evil. As the cliche goes, it is the exception the proves the rule.
>>
>>54983982
And so do liberals on the coast
>>
When people wanted there to be actual meaningful interaction with those fictional races.

The two you're comparing in that image would be a good example, since the former is meant to be playable and have actual diplomacy with other races, while the latter is not.
>>
>>54980469
No. It came from the leftist need to have nurture reign supreme while nature is completely unimportant. Hell, there is a book called Sociobiology from the 70s that goes in depth as to why the left shitcalled it and its author, because they (the left) believed societies and social behavior are entirely uninvolved with biology
You're young, and stupid, but stop spouting shit.
Plus, biological and ideological divergence have little in common. So please, don't even try to pull this shit.
>>
>>54993247
Most afterlives tend to be horrifying. You either lose your sapience and stop being meaningfully yourself as your soul is not really you, or you grow terribly bored.

How many time can you kill dudes and get drunk in Valhalla before you get so sick of it that you become a straight edge pacifist?
>>
>>54993184
You need some more Orthodox theosis juju, anon.
>You cease to be you
This is always called out as crypto-TULIPism, and therefore heresy.
>>
>>54993308
>How many time can you kill dudes and get drunk in Valhalla before you get so sick of it that you become a straight edge pacifist?

Up until Ragnarok, in which you're doomed to die and be utterly obliterated.
>>
>>54986740
There is a pretty good definition of absolute evil that one Canadian philosopher offered, and that does not even require existence of absolute good.

The idea is that absolute evil is an act purposefully harm knowing that such harm will not benefit you in any other case. It's a harm that is done without justification: harm that is commited needlessly.
And that shit happens. A LOT more than you'd think. People sometimes go and do harm for the purpose of doing harm, and no other reason - they even sacrifice their own advantages, or even existence solely to dedicate themselves to cause harm. And that, as far as I'm concerned, can be defined as absolute evil.

It's a behavior that cannot, in any way, be justified as beneficial to the society in which it takes place.
>>
>>54993231
What about plague? Illnesses have historically claimed more lives and caused more loss of human productivity than all wars combined.
>>
>>54993231
>Unless you admit that your knowledge is at least equally as imperfect and thus that you have absolutely no right to make justified assumptions

Back at yah, bucko.
>>
>>54993326
On what basis is benefit to society the basis for absolute good or evil? How can the pleasure of the act not be considered an advantage in this case?

I don't think this definition has gotten past the is-ought problem.
>>
>>54993337
See his response here >>54993231, to >>54993190 .
>>
>>54993308
>lose your sapience
Your timebound "sapience" is part of the punishment for the original sin, and any sense of attachment one may feel for it is born of vicious vanity, This is why gnostics always get BTFO for good.
>>
>>54993231

>20th century alone saw somewhere between 50-100 million dead people and perhaps some of the most intense and wide-spread suffering ever happening on this planet and it was exclusively because people got caught up in utopian ideas.

Kid, you can't show up with half-baked ideas. Go do your research and compare this to other events in human history of mass-death. Also don't limit yourself to the 20th century. There are 20 more centuries you have to go through to prove your point.
>>
>>54993337
Not really any different from volcanos, as far as I'm concerned.

>>54993341
Except I don't have this problem, retard. I don't think perfection of knowledge is necessary to make justified claims. That is your problem, not mine.

>>54993344
>How can the pleasure of the act not be considered an advantage in this case?
Uh... seriously? You are asking how immediate pleasure would not qualify as advantage? Well... tell me if a junkie getting high on crocodile is enjoying his great advantage of the high rush...
>>
>>54993356
That's stupid. Adam and Eve totally had timebound sapience, if they didn't they wouldn't have had the agency to choose to disobey God.
>>
>>54993308
Well, the phenomena of being bored is a product of brain functions. You lack a brain in the afterlife, therefore you can't be bored. How you can be self-ware while being incorporeal raises other questions, but however that's resolved could hypothetically involve a setup which does not allow for boredom. Whether this is a desirable state is debatable.
>>
>>54993376
>Uh... seriously? You are asking how immediate pleasure would not qualify as advantage? Well... tell me if a junkie getting high on crocodile is enjoying his great advantage of the high rush...

Because that pleasure is accompanied with a bunch of personal disadvantages that are immediately obvious, but in the example brought up, there isn't necessarily an immediate disadvantage. Say a tyrant with absolute control of his society took pleasure in terrorizing people, with no threat to himself, in what way is his pleasure not to his advantage?
>>
>>54993326
How do you define "doing harm"?
>>
>>54993308
Well the main thing is that most of them aren't really "lives" as we understand them. The heaven described there for instance is basically just another form of oblivion.
>>
>>54993293

>not play an evil race
>not have diplomacy with an evil race

lul wut?
>>
>>54993326
How do you classify something as "benefiting you"? You don't have absolute knowledge.

You know how sometimes people get offended at something minor, or nothing at all, and throw a shitfit? That can range from someone smashing their keyboard because they are bad at videogames, to punching a guy in the face, straight up to unpremeditated murder.

To an outside observer, those things appear harmful and not benefiting the perpetrator. But from the point of view of the perpetrator, their sense of ego might drive them to do these things. They see it as a benefit, perhaps from a not entirely rational perspective, but still a benefit. It's an ego boost. A show of force. A warning.

You throw a plate at the wall to assert yourself and show that you're angry. You kill a man who slept with your wife. And so on.
>>
>>54993350
>>54993376
Sorry, this is what I get for not reading the replies to all the posts. Thank you!
>>
>>54993423
They can't diplomacy with non-evil races, because non-evil races could never trust them.
>>
>>54993350

Oh, you mean his non-responses that don't actually address the counterpoint?
>>
>>54993437
You can be evil and trustworthy, anon.
>>
>>54993376

>I don't think perfection of knowledge is necessary to make justified claims.

Ahhh, so the dumb fuck is clever!

So you think barely-functioning knowledge is enough to make justified claims?
>>
>>54984694
Everyone knows zombie fiction is for people who think they're special and everyone else is a mindless sheep.
>>
The interesting thing about this thread is that the people trying to back up the OP troll/view are trying to present this air of elite contrarian intellectualism, yet they are noticeably quite stupid.

It's like watching a bunch of high class bourgeoisie with brain damage trying to have an angry argument about art and culture with a bunch of NASCAR types that happen to be doctors.
>>
>>54993380
The phenomena of identity and you-ness is a product of brain functions. A soul, if you believe in such a thing, is just animating force given by a god.

If your identity is just a bug in the system, afterlife isn't so great.
>>
>>54993462
Not by the description given of the uruks in that image.

Also, no you really can't. You need at least some scruples to be worthy of trust. Even a consistently egoistic position requires some scruples (egoism is still rooted in empathy, just empathy for future versions of your self).
>>
>>54993380
>Well, the phenomena of being bored is a product of brain functions.
Yeah, that's a fair point. Boredom is basically a survival instinct... really the whole discontentment thing in general. "Grass is always greener" and all that. Real Happiness is basically an illusory carrot that your brain dangles in front of you, to keep you perpetually moving, seeking, hunting, stockpiling, etc. In the wild, contented humans are out-competed humans.
>>
>>54993437

Dude, that just limits what you talk about in diplomacy.

Also knowing someone is going to betray you doesn't mean you can't negotiate with them.
>>
>>54993377
The agency to disobey causes it's own sinful origin, as well as the punishment that includes establishment of the intertemporal causal relation between the two,
>>
>>54993493
The initial sin was the disobedience of God. To disobey, they need agency. Agency has to precede sin, elsewise they couldn't have disobeyed.
>>
>>54993512
>disobedience to God
>>
>>54993437
>They can't diplomacy with non-evil races, because non-evil races could never trust them.
By that argument, diplomacy in the RL would be impossible. If you translated the behavior of most nation states to an individual scale, most people would consider them amoral, psychopathic monsters. Their decisions are guided 100% by self-interest and self-preservation. But diplomacy is still possible, because it's possible to construct treaties and power-balances such that betrayal is not beneficial to any party.
>>
>>54993371
So, first of all: I'd really like to hear YOU tell me what do you think was worse than the death toll of upwards to a 100 million people over the span of fifty years and also the situation that people aptly called "MAD", in which some people deemed it actual valid to rather EXTINGUISH LIFE ON PLANET - all of it including their own - than to admit that their idea of utopia might have not been a good one. Which has lead us the closest to a mass a complete mass extinction event (and the only one human-made so far) we had ever been to.

I'd like want you to tell me what you think is worse.
Second, I'd also argue that I also pointed out that utopia has manifested itself in many other terrifying acts of humanity, including the insane massacres motivated by religious supremacy etc...

Third, this is what we call a desperation idea. I argued about the danger of utopic thinking. Your entire counterargument to that so far boils down to "heh, hundred million dead over the span of half a century and near destruction of life on plannet isn't THAT bad!"

OK, even if you are completely fucking crazy to not think that what happened in 20th century was the worst thing that humans have ever done, it's still fucking plenty terrifying, and enough to give a clear lesson that this might have been a very, very bad line of thinking from the start.
>>
>>54993493
>>54993512
>>54993530
Additionally, God explicitly gave man free will before sin. To have free will, you have to have sapience.
>>
>>54993535
Every nation on earth has clear scruples and is demonstrable capable of empathy. A truly evil creature wouldn't have either, and lacking empathy, they wouldn't even be capable of consistent egoism (lacking any sense of empathy for their future selves). You wouldn't be able to prevent betrayal, because they would eventually betray you even if it was to their own detriment.
>>
>>54993404
>Because that pleasure is accompanied with a bunch of personal disadvantages that are immediately obvious
Well, the evil as I have defined brings disadvantages too. Usually self-destruction in the process. Or at least massive harm caused to the system that keeps you alive.
Pleasure, is not beneficial. Harming others for pleasure does not bring you an advantage. It actually always brings disadvantage, because "harm" is actually defined as "act that brings general disadvantage".

>in what way is his pleasure not to his advantage?
In which way is it an advantage again? How does it makes his odds better?
>>
>>54993544
>I'd really like to hear YOU tell me what do you think was worse than the death toll of upwards to a 100 million people over the span of fifty years

Kid, that's not how the burden of proof works. If you don't even have half-baked understanding of this topic then just admit that you are pulling shit out of your ass.
>>
>>54985810
> WoWfags really believe this.

At the time of writing 90% of the shit-tier lore wasn't there.
>>
>>54993544
If everyone dies tomorrow, no more harm can be committed.

If the population continues to grow, and industrial growth allows doing evil on a greater scale, the only logical to minimize evil is detonate all the nukes right now.

Dead men can do no evil.
>>
>>54993544

>"heh, hundred million dead over the span of half a century and near destruction of life on plannet isn't THAT bad!"

Straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan~~~~~~~~~

My entire argument is that you haven't done the legwork to back up your claims and your entire argument relies on half-assed evidence.
>>
>>54993593
Couldn't you argue wiping out all of humanity would involve doing evil to all potential future generations?
>>
>>54993544

>enough to give a clear lesson that this might have been a very, very bad line of thinking from the start.

Circular logic.

Prove that utopian thinking is what has caused all the problems before you start using it to justify other claims.
>>
>>54993572
>Pleasure, is not beneficial.

In what way? It's a psychological necessity.

>Harming others for pleasure does not bring you an advantage.

In what way?

>It actually always brings disadvantage, because "harm" is actually defined as "act that brings general disadvantage".

Tyrants have harmed people to their advantage since the dawn of time. Hitler used Jews for easy slave labor, an act that was to his regime's advantage and definitely brought these Jews considerable harm.

>In which way is it an advantage again?

Pleasure typically brings psychological ease to the individual.

>How does it makes his odds better?

By bringing him a sense of psychological ease.
>>
>>54993431
>You don't have absolute knowledge.
You are still the same retard going on about absolution. Fuck off. It's a completely unproductive, completely dead-end line of thoughts.
There are plenty of solid ways to define benefit. For example, not leading to your death is a benefit. Generally evolution has a very good set of criteria of benefit. Most societies do too. Likelihood of your survival, likelyhood of you avoiding excess or needless suffering, the likelyhood of those that are related to you, or that you might like, surviving, improving their odds, avoiding excess or undue suffering, that kind of shit. It's not nearly hard to understand as you make it look.

>You kill a man who slept with your wife. And so on.
Those have a rationality, actually. And therefor, I would not consider those as absolute evil. They are not harm for harm sake: they are harm for sake of say, restoring social equilibrium, or preventing repetition of the same act. Or restoring family honor, which is an actual social resource that you might really need.

The kind of evil I describe is the kind of evil that drove Olga Hepnarová or Eric Harris to their actions. The kind of evil that drove Japanese soldiers to commit the unspeakable attrocities they had done on chinese population. Or the absolutely needless, pointless torture of jewish prisoners in german extermination camps.

Ironically enough, not the motivation that drove Brevik, even though you could argue that what he did was worse than what Harris has done.
>>
>>54993659
As humanity's timeline approaches infinity, so does their evil. You want to stop evil, don't you?
>>
>>54985970
You're a mistake.
>>
>>54993708
You fucking idiot. You criticize him for talking about absolution while trying to define absolute evil? If you're trying to define an absolute, you had better have some absolute knowledge to back it you fucking slouching dipshit.
>>
>>54993708
>Rapes and kills chinese civilians because they're inferior parasites on glorious Nippon

Clearly this is not harm for harm's sake, it's harm for the sake of restoring social equilibrium and national honor.
>>
>>54993708
>charges into a burning fire to save a priceless painting.

Evil, dies for nothing and prevents all potential future good deeds.
>>
>>54993789
By this utterly vacuous definition, not harm is harm for harm's sake. Even a sadistic tyrant is harming for pleasure, and thus isn't doing it just for harm's sake.
>>
>>54993573
>Kid, that's not how the burden of proof works.
God dammit you are fucking awful at this. You can't make your own point, so your opinion is worthless. If you have a proof that my claims are flawed, then present it. Otherwise, FUCK. OFF.

>>54993641
That is not what a strawman means, kid.
>My entire argument is that you haven't done the legwork to back up your claims and your entire argument relies on half-assed evidence.
My core argument, you drooling mongoloid, is that utopic thinking leads to terrible results. And yes, I regret saying it's the worst thing ever - although the evidence I've presented is solid and you had not presented ANY counter-evidence at all.
But the core point and this something that you don't want to acknowledge despite me explicitly spelling it out for you, is that utopic thinking is bad. Relative comparisons of if 100 million dead and near destruction of humanity does or does not qualify as the ABSOLUTE WORST are meaningless, partially because we will ultimately not find an agreeable measure for that (and which is why I now regret using that phrase) to beging with.

But again, you fucking COWARD. Tell me what you think is worse. Because if you can't produce that: well, then you still know less than I do.

>>54993689
>Prove that utopian thinking is what has caused all the problems before you start using it to justify other claims.
Read Marx, read Nazi philosophy. It's that simple. It's just there. Very explicit. The very explicitly identify historical issues of human kind and propose clear set of necessary actions which will ensure utopia. Fuck me you people are dumb as fuck.
>>
>>54993834
Marx was very explicitly against utopian thinking. He didn't think communism would be sunshine and roses, he just thought it would be without class distinctions or private property.
>>
>>54993834

> If you have a proof that my claims are flawed, then present it

BURDEN OF PROOF MOTHERFUCKER

You gotta prove that you are right before inviting other people to prove you wrong.
>>
>>54993690
>In what way? It's a psychological necessity.
So is pain. And depression.
How it being a necessary part of our psychological make up does make it inherently beneficial.

>In what way?
Look you fucking retard, you actually have to present your own point. HOW DO YOU SUPPOSE IT IS BENEFICIAL.
How is pleasure inherently beneficial you god damn fucking retard?! Why the FUCKING FUCK would you ever fucking assume that is a thing?

>Tyrants have harmed people to their advantage since the dawn of time.
So what? what the fuck is wrong with you? What the fuck are you talking about?
Can you make a single, actual fucking coherent point relative to what I said?
Did I fucking say that every Tyrant is absolutely evil? Did I fucking say what Hitler did qualifies as absolute fucking evil you fucking mongolid?

Stop fucking projecting your bullshit, read what say and ONLY WHAT I SAY, not what you want to see, and make an actual point of your own.
>>
>>54993834

>completely making up an argument for someone isn't a strawman
>>
>>54993890
>Hitler is not absolute fucking evil
But a gaggle of orcs murdering a couple of villagers for their livestock and iron are totally evil, dude.
>>
>>54993890
>How it being a necessary part of our psychological make up does make it inherently beneficial.

It's not inherently beneficial in the way the foundation of the house isn't to its benefit.

>HOW DO YOU SUPPOSE IT IS BENEFICIAL.

Because it's necessary to our psychology. Trying to forgo pleasure is a surefire way to psychological distress and disfunction.

>Can you make a single, actual fucking coherent point relative to what I said?

You infantile dipshit. You tried to state that harm is inherently to the general disadvantage, I brought up an example of harm that was to the advantage of the regime inflicting it. How are you this fucking thick?
>>
>>54993834

> I regret saying it's the worst thing ever

Ah! The dumb fuck changes his argument and admits he was wrong! That's a good boy.
>>
>>54993834

You realize none of these people have probably read anything even remotely philosophical, right?
I mean, at best, they got a class on Marxism in high school or something.

>>54993862
Sure, brah. It's not like Marx had this idea you could create a society where humans don't compete with one another, or try to organize into hierarchies or that they'd have individual ideas about self worth or the value of things.
Nah, he wasn't utopian at all.

>>54993879
Are you illiterate?
Do your words only *seem* to be in response to anything?
Fucking nobody denies the deaths under Communism and virtually everyone accepts the millions of deaths in fascism. This is, you know, leaving aside the people who died in the war.
>>
>>54993862
>Marx was very explicitly against utopian thinking.
AHAHAHAHAHA OK, I'm done with you shitheads.
I'm done right fucking here. There is a point where no rationality or education can fucking help anything. So just to enjoy the last post here...

>>54993879
>BURDEN OF PROOF MOTHERFUCKER
THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS YOU RETARD.
I PROVIDED AN ARGUMENT.
NOW YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE COUNTER-EVIDENCE.

And the best one:
>>54993911
Who said anything about any villagers and orks?

And this is the real problem. You fucks aren't thinking or reading anything. You are projecting and screaming because you feel your self-esteem being threatened. And that is why I'm done with you retards.
>>
>>54993817
Anon, doesn't everyone die for nothing?
>>
>>54993834

>the evidence I've presented is solid
>I pulled a random number out of my ass and randomly associated it with "utopian thinking"
>>
>>54993945
>Nah, he wasn't utopian at all.

He wasn't. Do you consider class and property the full extent of human problems?

>>54993955
>AHAHAHAHAHA OK, I'm done with you shitheads.

Read more Marx after he published the German ideology. He detested utopian thinking.

It's not my fault you fucking idiots haven't read anything by the guy you're criticizing. For that matter, neither was Lenin a utopian.
>>
>>54980106
Cann anyone make Virgin - Chad as mordor uruk and isengard uruk hai?
>>
>neither side posts sources
>neither side refrains from name-calling
>neither side is capable of giving up the last word

Oh look, another pointless internet non-debate.
>>
>>54993945
>>54993955

Why do you think that your half-assed evidence and argument even warrants a counter-argument? You haven't even proven your point. You threw out some numbers and said they are connected to utopian shit.
>>
>>54993991
I will use small words.
Big words make you not sure what you say.

IF the society you want
CANNOT BE due to inherent human traits
THEN it is Utopia.

Is this better?
>>
>>54994017
But there's literally no basis to think that it can't be? Further, Marx said very little about communism, advocating only that workers consider their interests as a class and take action accordingly.
>>
File: remove salad.png (176KB, 1311x748px) Image search: [Google]
remove salad.png
176KB, 1311x748px
fascists are subhuman

we should put them into camps.
>>
>>54994017
But that's not the definition of a utopia. A utopia is a society free of hardship and suffering, which Marx never considered a communist society to be.
>>
I dunno. I think it's just important to have a good reason for something being evil. They don't necessarily need to have some kind of justifiable cause, like "good intentions" or whatever. Just an explaination for why they're evil.

Orcs and the uruk-hai (in LotR) don't have good intentions at all, but we're given good reason for their evil existence; they were twisted into what they are by a greater malevolent force and are most likely incapable of being any other way. They find pleasure in slaughtering people, pillaging villages, lording over those they see as inferior - there's no great reason for them to be this way, it's in their nature.
>>
>>54994015

1. Communism is utopian.
2. In trying to create a utopia, they killed lots of people.
3. This has happened every time someone has tried to instill a utopia. People cannot conform to the perfect society some neckbeard designed, so they're killed.
This is the only way to ensure such a society isn't immediately overthrown.

Therefore, utopian thinking has caused more human deaths in their own populace. than anything else.

>>54994040
If you think Communism is possible, I don't even know what to tell you.
Consider this: every communist country has failed and murdered lots and lots of people to perpetuate itself. This doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me, but then again I have this terrible habit of drawing conclusions from results.

>>54994088
I'm sorry, I didn't realize we devolved to debating semantics.
Here:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/utopia
You're using some other definition of utopia, not from any common dictionary.
>>
Every country of note has murdered lots and lots of people to perpetuate itself. It's a normal function of a large organization.
>>
>>54993295
t. KKKfag who thinks blacks are 'naturally' violent
>>
>>54980106
Evil is only ever defined according to a subjective moral paradigm. Antagonists oppose the protagonists, and always have a reason.

'Lel evil just becuzz' is not possible. In the first place, they cannot do evil, they can only be described as having done evil according to a single framework. In the second, there is necessarily a reason for their conduct, 100% of the time, because everything is purposeful.
>>
>>54994108
I'm using the definition from Thomas More's book, utopia, which is the origin of its use in modern contexts. Dictionaries are pretty worthless for political terminology. Marx was not a utopian by the only meaningful definition of the term, and in fact was highly critical utopian thinking.
>>
>>54994189
>random guy does random orphanage burning and wanton innocent slaughtering for no reason whatsoever
>morally subjective to a single framework
>is purposeful

There's a reason certain evils are considered so by the overwhelming majority of religions and civilizations and cultures.
>>
>>54994135

The majority of deaths caused by nations have been in:
- armed rebellions
- wars with other nations
- improper management

The aforementioned socialist systems just had to exterminate large parts of their populations for being undesirables and then restricted freedom of speech, action and thought in such a way as to make sure nobody ever did wrong-think again. As cliche as it is to reference 1984 perfectly explains a 'functional' Communist society.
Which failed, because are a really inventive, creative bunch that don't like to starve and work for it's own sake with absolutely no reward, or worse, punished for their success.
Their goal was to exterminate people and they did it well.
Read about Mao's Great Leap Forward and the fantastic success that was.
>>
>>54994223
It's almost like words evolve as the concept they express matures.
>>
>>54994108
>Consider this: every communist country has failed and murdered lots and lots of people to perpetuate itself. This doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me, but then again I have this terrible habit of drawing conclusions from results.

Most nations have killed plenty to perpetuate themselves. The USSR also made sweeping improvements over Tsarist Russia in areas of lifespan, general health, infant mortality, literacy, social mobility, etc. Thomas Sankara's Burkina Faso made sweeping reforms that dismantled tribal privilege, increased gender equality, and improved the conditions of the workers, being only stopped by a foreign sponsored counter-coup.

Further, Marxists (socialists in general actually) in the west made massive strides for worker conditions and social safety nets.
>>
>>54994270
It's almost like every piece of philosophical terminology is bastardized by people outside of the field. Epicurus wasn't "epicurean" by the modern usage of the term.
>>
>>54994259
Shithole backwards agrarian country becomes one of the greatest world powers that will likely own the 21st century?
>>
>>54980106
>evil is absolute

>the absolute state of /tg/
Go read a book. No, trash fantasy doesn't count.
>>
>>54994322

Nigga, I said "read", not "give me your clearly uniformed opinion based on obvious lapses in your understanding of history, politics, philosophy and world events".
It's an easy mistake to make.
Here's the starter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward

Now, seriously, stop being stupid and read. You're well aware you have no idea what the Great Leap Forward was.
>>
>>54994259
>As cliche as it is to reference 1984 perfectly explains a 'functional' Communist society.
There is arguably even better reflection of this sentiment: it's in the original source material that Orwell merely adopted and updated (or modernized).

If you have not, read Zamyatin's Us. It's a terrifying read, and not only because Orwell actually kinda ripped it off to a POINT, but more because it is actually written by citizen in Soviet Union, reflecting his very, very immediate feelings on the system. And even worse: he was a firm communist himself.

The story is about doubt of the utopic idea. And it's not - like in Orwell, who simplifies the story somewhat - in a one-sided "this is evil" image. It's a true, deep confession of a person who believed the system is good. And still kinda believes. It's fantastic read (really odd and outdated in many ways, the technology it speaks about sounds very naive but hell, it was written in 1920's.
And in many ways, when it comes to characterising the problem of utopia and Marxism, it's more honest and more interesting than Orwells take on it.

Also, of course, if you haven't but are interested... Solzhenitsyn is your man.

Also, you were right, these people are almost dangerously clueless... I gave up and for the sake of your sanity, I'd recommend considering doing the same...
>>
>>54994108
Finally, the dumb fuck presents his dumbfuck argument.

>This is the only way to ensure such a society isn't immediately overthrown.

Specifically this part here.

>Therefore, utopian thinking has caused more human deaths in their own populace. than anything else.

You should really stop saying this unless you have evidence.
>>
>>54994259
>>54994371
I forgot to add: If you are interested, look up how Zamyatin ended, it just paints a complete picture.

And you seem to be now dealing with people who are basically saying "what, the horror of soviet and chinese revoutionary period weren't that bad, and also brought a lot of improvements". Consider that.
>>
>>54985409
Fucking mouthbreather, knowing people like this write on this site kills all the will to post anything but ironic shitposting.
>>
>>54994371

Solzhenitsyn is, indeed, my man.
I grew up for about 10 years under Communism, the rest in the so called "Post-Communist" period.
It's fun to yell at kids, especially the ones who think they've got a wrap on this whole "ethics and morality" thing.
These, are, after all, only the questions mankind has been grappling with since we could formulate ideas.

Also:
Read this:http://www.sobrave.net/post/78663081000/darqwolff
It's amazing.
>>
>>54994108

>every communist country has failed and murdered lots and lots of people to perpetuate itself
>I can only look at things superficially
>>
>>54994259

>- armed rebellions
>- wars with other nations
>- improper management

Hey! Look at you! You accurately described what caused communist countries to kill everyone.
>>
>>54986846
>Some even say they're evil, and say it proudly.
No, retard, while a sociopath could, a psychopath doesn't even understand why you would consider his behaviour "evil".
>>
>>54994429
>>54994446

This is a super famous one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulak

Guys, I realize you like the idea of Socialism, because you can't comprehend what it means.
But, seriously, read a book not written by a Socialist.
>>
>>54994162
>implying that's an argument
>implying he's not right
>>
>>54994224
>most people think a certain thing
Sure, but they aren't objectively in the right. Just because you are unwilling to see or agree with the purpose does not mean it isn't there.
>>
>>54993125
>they exist for a reason
What - the flaws in reality or the flaws in people which mimic the flaws in reality? I don't think there are any flaws in reality - it works pretty well and it is predictable.
>>
>>54994162
What the fuck are you on about?
To begin with, I'm not white.
To finish it off: you're fucking retarded and you should look up the nature vs. nurture argument, possibly read some books and look up things like Lysenkoism and why the CCCP decided that Darwin was a faggot among other things.
This is much older than your shitty "alt rightards vs anarcofags" bullshit, and you should get off your high horse.
Also, this site is 18+ so maybe just leave.
>>
>>54994426
>It's fun to yell at kids, especially the ones who think they've got a wrap on this whole "ethics and morality" thing.
I used to think it's fun too, but eventually I started realizing how much it is draining my faith in humanity and will to live.

Now, if it's in real life I just generally hand people links to Peterson's lectures and tell them: "If you honestly come up with argument why he is wrong, please let me know" and around here, I just quit before my sanity is completely drained.

The sad thing is - how very, very unecessary all of this is. And how much of it could be avoided. Seriously. I saw a nearly perfect argumentation against Marxism in Karel Chapek's essay from 1920's. I don't doubt other people made similar arguments even decades before that.

Yet somehow, 100 million people shorter, after every single attempt to follow the logic being a complete disasster (when people reject China and SSSR as an example, I also like to mention the history of the Israely Kibbutz organizations...) we are still basically where we started.

Because... utopism. "The idea is not bad, we just weren't trying hard enough."
>>
>>54994484
>But, seriously, read a book not written by a Socialist.

Likewise, read a book not written by an ideological crank who made his career telling the west what it wanted to hear about their primary competition.
>>
>>54984219
>>54984303
>>54986745
>>54986759
>>54986790
What the actual fuck?

You people really think morality is objective? Who educated you, the local priest?
>>
>>54994568
Moral absolutism is very popular among autistic early 20 somethings. It basically requires no empathy and uncertainty.
>>
>>54994544
>Because... utopism. "The idea is not bad, we just weren't trying hard enough."

The only person claiming a utopia here is yourself. Literally nobody claimed that these societies were free of suffering.

Also I love how anti-socialist cranks overlook the massive strides in worker's rights and conditions made by predominantly socialist worker's unions in the 20th century.
>>
>>54994544
>Chapek's
ÄŒapek. I don't know why I spelled it out that way.

>>54994528
>I don't think there are any flaws in reality - it works pretty well and it is predictable.
Well... that alone is a bit questionable, but we are doing some really amazing steps in learning to predict it.
That said: the "flaw" here (it's not really a flaw of reality because "flaw" a human notion, and of course, reality is just... what is. Unless we presume teleological universe, at least) is that human existence is torn between suffering and joy (or at least not-suffering), which results in a situation where at least part of human existence is going to be unpleasant.

Which again is for a "reason" (not really a teleological one, just causal) that really goes most likely all the way to entropy.
To assume that we can transcend it is just royally stupid.
>>
>>54994544
>Now, if it's in real life I just generally hand people links to Peterson's lectures and tell them: "If you honestly come up with argument why he is wrong, please let me know" and around here, I just quit before my sanity is completely drained.

http://alexanderofford.com/the-intellectual-fraudulence-of-jordan-peterson-apropos-of-daniel-karasik/
>>
>>54994589

Here's a moral dilemma for you:

A 40 year old man comes from abroad into your country.
He is married to a 10 year old girl.

He insists the wedding is legal and should be recognized as such.
Do you think this is ok?

How about this:
Some place in S-E Asia, I forget where, but it doesn't matter, there are tribes of people who believe young boys have to ingest semen in order to become men. They have to get it from the source.
Is this ok?

There are cannibal cults and religious practices of human sacrifice.
Are those ok?
>>
>>54994610
Yeah but worker unions are evil and the virtuous job providers were right to shoot machine guns at protesters in US.
>>
>>54994544
>the USSR and PRC were dystopian
No, they weren't even that bad compared to most societies in human history. Dystopianism is such a faggoty form of political critique, and, frankly, what's actually childish is pretending that life in the West is so much better and more 'normal'. The real dystopia isn't people marching in lock-step for a grand ideological mission, it's people retreating from society to live, self-absorbed, in alienated bubbles of consumer capitalism.
>>
>>54994631
>emotional appeals

Provoking my sense of empathy and flouting my cultural values is not the same as a moral absolute. Moron.

I don't like any of those things, and the last one is definitely not in my interests to condone, but that doesn't mean they're etched into the universe as absolutely wrong.
>>
>>54994698
How will you life have any meaning if you don't have a bigger house than the Johnsons down the street?

Feeling empty? You need <new product> that will absolutely fulfill you!
>>
>>54994631
>Do you think this is ok?
>what is the law

I don't even feel like insulting you.
>>
>>54994631
The correct answer is: >>>I believe<<< these things are bad.
>>
>>54980106
>"fictional characters shouldn't just be evil by default" meme
>and the garbage that is virtually this entire thread
I'm pretty sure simple literary criticism predates whatever supposed 'meme' you chucklefucks think you're talking about.

>all this off-topic /pol/ shit
This thread is proof that you aren't qualified to so much as hold any opinions, much less critique anybody else's.
>>
>>54994721
>>54994710

So you don't like these things.
Why don't you like them?
It's how these people live.
What's wrong with it?
Why should you not do them?

>>54994719
Why shouldn't the law change to allow people the freedom to do those things?
>>
>Objective morality has not been disproven.

>All utopia are inherently coercive utopia.

>/tg/ threads about good and evil devolve into shitshows.
>>
>>54994733
I recognize my morality is subjective, that does not mean I abandon it. Deport the man and the girl, they don't belong in my country.
>>
>>54994733
>Why don't you like them?

Because my sense of empathy elevates human suffering as something to be avoided.

>What's wrong with it?

I don't like it.

>Why should you not do them?

I don't want to.

There's no other justifications needed.

>Why shouldn't the law change to allow people the freedom to do those things?

Because we don't want to, and have the strength to prevent it.
>>
Mechanical evil is a holdover from the days of evil-as-skub, where it had fuck-all to do with the moral calculus of an individual's actions. The days when good/lawful and evil/chaotic were synonymous, and when above-average hearing or climbing ability made you non-good by default. There are cities in England that still have unenforced laws on the books defining the Welsh as effectively "always evil".

Carrying it over into the alignment cosmology is historical revisionism done by people who need to be told that their characters are special snowflakes who don't suffer consequences.

Gamewise, it also makes for miserably dull villains (if every orc burns every orphanage, they're no more engaging that a wildfire or a shipment of faulty extension cords) and clashes with the appeal of TRPGs in general (Come play! You can do anything, see any fantastic sight! Talking beasts, ships which sail on air, reality-warping magic! Oh, except that. You'll never, ever see an orc living peacefully, even Wish can't supply it.)
>>
>>54994752
>Deport the man and the girl, they don't belong in my country.
And who are you to determine that as opposed to the law?
>>
>>54994624
There is quite a lot of amazing irony about this article, starting with the title, which attacks Peterson, but then immediately goes and formulates 90% of his arguments towards person who merely interpreted Peterson, using the words of the Daniel, rather than Petersons.

>>54994698
>No, they weren't even that bad compared to most societies in human history.
You see... this is precisely why I withdrew from the discussion, and why I should have really closed the thread. It's shit like this that to a person who actually bothered to study the history of those countries, get my blood absolutely boiling. There is no excuse, in the world, for this kind of ignorance.
Literally: no human excuse.

Yes. Eminent thread of death, torture, existential threat, brain washing, absolute lack of freedom of expression, control over your life at just about every step... literally dead people pilling on the streets because the system failed because it never allowed itself to be double-questioned... that is not so bad. We have it so much worse... Having problems putting our values together and feeling a sense of togetherness in hatered of shared fictional enemy is much worse than lack of agency over your own existence.

Dear god I got sucked into this again.
But you do make a good case for totalitarity. People like you might be a good evidence that shooting people based on their beliefs might not be as bad idea as I always believed.
>>
>>54994749
>it has to first be proven

>all societies are coercive, we're basically in prison with each other

>everything on /tg/ is a shitshow

Yes that last one applies to everything, even the OSR threads, which spend most of their time jerking off to the same three games and breaking out into arguments about what is or is not OSR.
>>
>>54994733
>you

>Why shouldn't the law change to allow people the freedom to do those things?
Societal perception. Where he comes from it's legal.

I don't think you're very intelligent, I'm sorry.
>>
>>54994765
>>54994752

>I recognize, on some personal level that these things are not good.
You could even say "bad"
But you don't want to just say it.
Because then you'd have to say some things are always bad.
And...that's bad?
>>
>>54994783
Part of the majority with the power.
>>
>>54980106
god, not another shitty imported reddit, /pol/, and /r9k/ meme.
>>
>>54994786
>Yes. Eminent thread of death, torture, existential threat, brain washing, absolute lack of freedom of expression, control over your life at just about every step... literally dead people pilling on the streets because the system failed because it never allowed itself to be double-questioned... that is not so bad.

The describes Imperial China to a tee.
>>
>>54994721
>The correct answer is: >>>I believe<<< these things are bad.
No, you morons.
The correct answer is: By the standards of my society, those things are wrong.

Fun fact. Morals are not just subjective: they are also normative. Established by societal consensus and conventions, and often enforced by law.

I personally might not consider some of those things wrong. But that does not matter. By the standards of my society, they are not. And that is where the discussion ends.

The rest is me musing on whenever they SHOULD be OK or not... but that is not the same as deciding whenever they are moral or amoral.
>>
>>54994793
>>54994810

So, in essence, you're both saying you have the power, so, you have the right to decide.
Might makes right.
The Nazis did nothing wrong, or it wouldn't have been wrong, if they won.
>>
>>54994794
You're a complete thicky. You're not getting that not liking something is not the same as it being etched into a cosmic ledger as absolutely wrong.
>>
>>54994733
Your ability to type so well while sucking cock is impressive.
I guess there really is no substitute for experience.

>>54994731
>whatever supposed 'meme' you chucklefucks think you're talking about.
I think it's a bit funny that it's yet to even be clarified.
>>
>>54994786
>There is quite a lot of amazing irony about this article, starting with the title, which attacks Peterson, but then immediately goes and formulates 90% of his arguments towards person who merely interpreted Peterson, using the words of the Daniel, rather than Petersons.

It's almost like what happens with religious texts.
>>
>>54994839
No, might makes reality. Society is sustained by might.
>>
>>54994783
A citizen with political opinions. I'm not suggesting I can determine it, only how I would if I could.

>>54994794
>some things are always bad
No. You're asking my opinion and I'm giving it. Honestly I don't care about pedophiles in foreign lands, what matters to me is that people who don't belong here are trying to come here. Them being additionally dubious doesn't factor in to my opinion that they should be deported. In short - no, I don't consider anything to be always evil or innately evil, but I don't like everything and my preferences matter to me.
>>
>>54994869
Weak societies still exist and are still sustained without might. They just get bullied by stronger societies.
>>
>>54994839
Nazis weren't a majority on the world scale, and likely never would be. Even in oppressive societies like USSR there always were and will be people resisting against the inflicted standards, they just have to be smart about it.

Having the consensus of the majority is having the power is having the right to decide. Or should perhaps a single tyrant or god proclaim the objective truth from above?
>>
>>54994869
>>54994890

You therefore renounce moral responsibility.
If you were in the army, you'd be a guard at Auschwitz and think nothing was wrong, it's just the way things are.
On one level, I applaud your sense of proportion, if we were in Nazi Germany we'd overwhelmingly be collaborators.

On another, I think it's despicable how quickly you've just admitted to being monsters.

>>54994922
So, the majority has the ultimate right to make the decisions, no matter how monstrous they may be.
At what percentage?
Can 51% of the population decide to systematically slaughter the other?
Assume they would always succeed, for the sake of argument.
If it *has* to be success, then what, 70%?
80?
At what point does the majority get to declare the minority sub-human and parasitic?
If you were in the minority would you passively accept this, knowing it was their will?
Would you think nothing of it and try to escape?
>>
>>54994790
>>it has to first be proven
No it doesn't. Who said that?
I mean, it hasn't been proven or disproven, so there's that.

>>all societies are coercive, we're basically in prison with each other
Fair point.
Although some societies could be coercively, permissively free from coercion.
Like being intolerant of intolerance.

>>everything on /tg/ is a shitshow
I disagree.
In my opinion, at least 10% of the 10% of /tg/ I take interest in is not a shitshow.
>>
>>54994834
>societal norms are morality
No, you fucking moron. Norms are behavioral and practical, they are also shallow and ephemeral. They don't /even exist/ outside of your perception of society. You fucking idiot loser, you want to deny the individual's power over determining right and wrong and give it to society but society exists only in the minds of individuals. Or, what, you think there's some tablet that records norms out there for everyone to see? Jesus, you piddling fucking juvenile hack.
>>
>>54994853
>You're not getting that not liking something is not the same as it being etched into a cosmic ledger as absolutely wrong.
>WhereDoYouThinkYouAre.jpg
>>
>>54994971
>You therefore renounce moral responsibility.
Moral responsibility does not exist any more than agency - it's bullshit whether the universe is determined or arbitrary. You do things because either reality rolls the dice at every moment, or because reality is a long causal chain. You don't have free will.

>If you were in the army, you'd be a guard at Auschwitz and think nothing was wrong, it's just the way things are.
Setting aside your absurd strawman, yes, I think that now. I am one of those evil Nazi white nationalists you like to prattle on about so frequently.
>>
>>54995003
>Norms are behavioral and practical, they are also shallow and ephemeral.
Uh... no, you fucking retard, and maybe don't talk about subjects that you don't understand in the slightest. It's not even what I said exactly, I said they are normative, which is not strictly speaking the same as saying that they are a norm (as norm is generally used in a statistical sense - an interval around median, usually) while "normativity" is a social process of establishing normative systems.

Fun fact: ALL SEMANTIC SYSTEMS ARE NORMATIVE.
Translated into retard speak for you: "meanings of words are established by normatives"
This is extremely simple thing that you can't argue because then you'd argue with literally the entire fields of social psychology, sociology, anthropology, cognitive science:
Morals are normative systems.

>They don't /even exist/ outside of your perception of society.
That does not make them any less relevant. They are literally the most important constituent of social models. It's literally how our society works. The absolute core of it. There is nothing more real or important than that.
"Truth" as a notion does not exist outside of that system either, at least in practical sense.

>You fucking idiot loser, you want to deny the individual's power over determining right and wrong
No, that is not exactly true either. I believe that his agency has to be aligned with the system where ever interests of others are involved though. And that means, among others, that if he wants to challenge the existing system, he must first convince other participants in that system that his proposition is more sound.

Fun fact: our society exists on mutual agreement, and you can't deny that. Morality is part of that agreement. It's literally how it exists.

>but society exists only in the minds of individuals.
No. It actually exists in patterns of behavior statistically manifested by it's members.
>>
>>54994869
>No, might makes reality. Society is sustained by might.
Jesus you people really are DANGEROUSLY DELUDED.
No, society is sustained by societal contracts and agreements. Power is just one of the many factors that plays role in establishing those and moderating them. And even then it's much more complicated, because a LOT of power - majority of it, often - is actually only bestowed by those agreements.

You think like an actual fucking Marxist for fuck sake. Thinking that everybody is just a victim of a system that an evil person enforces because he has enough strength to do so.
That is a fucking dangerous line of thinking, not to mention desperately ignorant of the actual social reality.
>>
>>54995041
God this thread is like a collection of "everything that is wrong with people these days".

>You don't have free will.
Setting up a rationality is not going to deny the fact that you experience free will, your behavior is predicated on free will, and the actions of others towards you are also predicated on free will.

You are also wrong, on very many levels, including the fact that you don't even know what scientists call "free will" today, and your ideas of determinism are also pretty much fifty years behind time.

But really, more than all of that: It's just a completely dead end argument. It's like a solipsism, or radical scepticism: it actually does not mean or change anything. It's basically just a noise you make that resembles human speech.

Your rationality why "free will does not exist" actually does not deprive of your obligation to act as a free-willed individual. In any way, shape or form.
>>
>>54995191
>STEMfaggotry applied to philosophy
Yeah, you have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about. You can whine about statistics as much as you like, it doesn't change the fact that right and wrong are individual notions which shape societal norms (and indeed, norms they are, it's baffling to me that you'd try to redefine norms as a statistical phenomenon rather than use the far more appropriate and obvious conventional definition). To 'challenge the existing system', as you put it (in actuality, to hold moral values that are in conflict with societal norms), you need not convince a single damn person of anything.

Each individual has their own unique conception of good and evil, flat out. Whether it comes into conflict with some widely held notion that we may deem normative does not matter, except in a practical and political sense. You cannot actually deny that an individual has the power to determine right and wrong, because that's the source of every conception of right and wrong, and the manifest places in which all of them reside.
>>
>>54995327
I hear a lot of bitching but no argument.
>>
>>54994971
>If you were in the army, you'd be a guard at Auschwitz and think nothing was wrong, it's just the way things are.

No, I'd take no part in it because I find it reprehensible. You don't need a cosmic good and evil to think that.
>>
>>54995341

Scenario:

Man is suffering.
Man decides to do thing conventionally thought bad to alleviate suffering.
Man convinces himself it is morally just.
Man commits crime.
Man regrets crime.

What is conscience?
We know humans aren't actually rational beings. So who and what decides morality? And why does it overlap so well?
>>
>>54995240
>No, society is sustained by societal contracts and agreements

Which are a form of power, you dingus. The social contract is just a legitimation of power. The reason society doesn't collapse due to internal and external pressures is power.
>>
>>54995341
>Yeah, you have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about.
I understand that you have a massive problem dealing with anything that does not validate your pathetic feelings, but posting this - of all things, is just embarrasing.

>it doesn't change the fact that right and wrong are individual notions which shape societal norms
Except they are also the norms. In fact the norms are far more important, because the norms apply to situations where multiple people are involved. Individual notions are worth JACK SHIT whenever you interact with other people. Which is constantly. Also, where the fuck did you think those individual notions come from?
God?
No fuckface: they are imposed and taught to you by the society that you participate in. Because that is what they are for: TO MODERATE THE COOPERATION STRATEGIES of the society. That is all there is. People need to cooperate. Conflicts will emerge. Morals are guides to avoid them, or solve them in a way that is hopefully not going to endanger the whole societal unit (and by proxy all involved in it).
"Morals" on strictly individual level are not morals. They are mere preferences.
We can only talk about morals if we consider at least presumed tri-persona perspective: simulated social context.

>and indeed, norms they are, it's baffling to me that you'd try to redefine norms
That whole part is so hilariously clueless that I'm just going to leave it hanging.

>you need not convince a single damn person of anything.
Except the system will then have the right to punish you.

>Each individual has their own unique conception of good and evil, flat out.
Which comes from where?
And if it's purely invidiual, why call it "moral"? If it's just a preference? And why do we call moral "codes" codes?

>r, except in a practical and political sense
Uh... what is more important than practical reality? Seriously: are you a metaphysic?

>You cannot actually deny
I sure as fuck can. It's the most natural thing ever.
>>
>>54995412
>So who and what decides morality?
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: morality is actually just a statement of preferences. 'Good' means "I approve of" and 'bad' means "I disapprove of".
>>
>>54995441
This kills the thread.
>>
>>54995431
>>54995240
>Thinking that everybody is just a victim of a system that an evil person enforces because he has enough strength to do so.

Also, while I'm at it, no, you fucking idiot. Everyone is a component of this power structure, it's not a matter of the guy on top pushing on the guy below, as the guy below is what keeps the guy above on top.
>>
>>54995431
>Which are a form of power, you dingus.
No. They are form of cooperative behavior. A behavioral pattern. Power is something completely fucking unrelated.

>The social contract is just a legitimation of power.
No, social contract is just a social contract: pattern of behavior. It may include, among others, specific of rules involving distribution of power and legitimacy of it's use. But that is not what it's all about.

>The reason society doesn't collapse due to internal and external pressures is power.
No, the reason why it does not collapse is that it engages in behavior that is sustainable. Power is a tool that is involved in the process, but it's not nearly all there is to it. I think you are starting to stretch the definition of power into "state of things" really.
>>
>>54995438
>evolutionary psychology and efficiency gains >:DDDDDDDD
Please end yourself.

>Uh... what is more important than practical reality? Seriously: are you a metaphysic?
Since you are so blunderously retarded as to not understand that you're discussing philosophy I'm not gonna respond to you again.
>>
>>54995450
>Everyone is a component of this power structure
Again: purely Marxist drivel. What is this power structure exactly. How do you define it, measure it? What is the exact relationship between individual and the powerstructure. Where does one begin and power structure ends, how do you isolate them and how do you deliminate them?

Unless you LITERALLY ARGUE that "society = power" and I mean that they are literally completely interchangeable under all situations, you are a retard.
>>
>>54995492
>They are form of cooperative behavior.

Cooperative behavior is just a pooling of power in numbers.

>No, social contract is just a social contract: pattern of behavior.

Wrong, the social contract (we are not talking about the general possible uses of the term, but the socio-political concept) is a theory of legitimation of political power, found in theorists such as Thomas Hobbes or Rousseau.

>No, the reason why it does not collapse is that it engages in behavior that is sustainableNo, the reason why it does not collapse is that it engages in behavior that is sustainable

Such as exerting power against internal and external pressures that would drive it to collapse.

>I think you are starting to stretch the definition of power into "state of things" really.

Power is the means to see your will made manifest.
>>
>>54995518
>Please end yourself.
Is that the best you can muster up?

>Since you are so blunderously retarded as to not understand that you're discussing philosophy I'm not gonna respond to you again.
Here is a general advice: When you lose an argument so fucking disastrously as this: you stop responding straight away.
When you post shit like this, it's just drawing the attention to the fact that you have no argument what so ever. Not anything that would even resemble one.

You just identify that I do rely on concepts that are scientifically acknowledged and beg me to stop being threat to your beliefs.

You can just stop replying and end it there.
>>
>>54995522
>Unless you LITERALLY ARGUE that "society = power" and I mean that they are literally completely interchangeable under all situations, you are a retard.

Human action is an exercise of power, and society is a product of human action.
>>
>>54995522
Also stop fucking calling it a Marxist idea. Human action and society being understood through power dynamics is primarily Nietzschean in origin.
>>
>>54995547
>Cooperative behavior is just a pooling of power in numbers.
Actually, it's far more than that. It's a system of non-zero-sum interaction. You aren't just pooling your chances, you are multiplying it across the board. Which is quite fantastic.

But really, I want you to define what is "power" and what is "power structure".
Actually provide a coherent definition.

>is a theory of legitimation of political power, found in theorists such as Thomas Hobbes or Rousseau.
It's also a observation of human evolutionary and etological nature as observed by thousands of sociologists, psychologists, evolutionary scientists etc...
It's also a fact. Or at least acceptable token for a little more complex but factual dynamic.

>Such as exerting power against internal and external pressures that would drive it to collapse.
What? The fuck. I'm going to assume that you just did not really put the right words in the right places and move on...

>Power is the means to see your will made manifest.
Ahhhh! That is not vague at all! That is a pragmatic, scientific definition. Now give me a definition of will. Preferably one that would not make scientists cry...
>>
>>54995621
>preferably not one that would make scientists cry

Go away stemlord. Will is a strictly philosophical concept.
>>
>>54995570
>Human action is an exercise of power, and society is a product of human action.
So... every human action is an exercise of power? That is... board.
What about a yawn? What about a tick?
Also, so power can't be measured in volumes. It's just the reality that people act. That actually is your definition of power: the fact that humans act.
That is... rather mindboggingly useless, to be honest.

>>54995609
It's really absolutely not. Nietzche never uses it to actually describe societal dynamics. He uses it as metaphysical concept, essentially.
It's Marx and later based on his model people of Frankfurt school who propose this.

Also: fun fact, you believe Nietzsche, a smart but jaded arm-chair philsopher, a better qualified person to understand society than sciences that study it. Even though he never actually talked about societal dynamics at all.
>>
>>54995621
Already define power, a power structure is an organization where power is being pooled towards an end.

I really don't care about those alternate definitions, because we're talking about the sustainment of society, where theorists like Hobbes or Rosseau would be applicable.

>What? The fuck. I'm going to assume that you just did not really put the right words in the right places and move on...

Are you stupid? There was nothing unclear about that statement. Society sustains itself by exerting its power against pressures that would cause it to collapse, be these dissent, foreign enemies, or environmental factors.

>Ahhhh! That is not vague at all! That is a pragmatic, scientific definition. Now give me a definition of will. Preferably one that would not make scientists cry...

A driving impulse within the human psyche, frequently composed of multifaceted sometimes conflicting desires. Fuck scientists.
>>
>>54995646
>Go away stemlord. Will is a strictly philosophical concept.
Well, then it may very well be COMPLETELY FUCKING WORTHLESS now.
You are talking about society. A very real, a very pragmatic institution.

But you use a concept that cannot be actually properly tied to pragmatic reality at all?
What is the point?
>>
>>54995678
>That is... rather mindboggingly useless, to be honest.

Not really. If you understand human action as a continuous exercise of power against things resisting that power, you see human society in different terms than through moralistic explanations.

>It's really absolutely not. Nietzche never uses it to actually describe societal dynamics. He uses it as metaphysical concept, essentially.

Nietzsche himself doesn't, but philosophers influenced by him do. It's largely a product of the post-structuralists, especially Foucault.

>It's Marx and later based on his model people of Frankfurt school who propose this.

Why don't you start screeching about cultural Marxism now?

>calling Nietzsche an armchair philosopher

He was a professional philosopher, and the most influential of the last 200 years. Those scientists largely derived their work from philosophers. It's funny how you whine about Marxist ideas and then tout sociology, when modern sociology is derived from Marx's works (specifically stripping the dialectical component out of his materialistic theory of history).
>>
>>54995694
But society isn't real, and it isn't empirical. You can't find evidence of society having an actual existence outside of the heads of the people living in it. There's no line etched by a cosmic overlord in the dirt that makes your dirt this society or another.
>>
>>54995751

Yeah, you tell him, man.
And, like, numbers, you know?
Like, how can numbers be real if our eyes aren't real?
>>
>>54995794
Numbers aren't real. They're an abstraction used to represent sometimes real things, but mathematics does not inherently represent anything real.
>>
>>54995690
>because we're talking about the sustainment of society, where theorists like Hobbes or Rosseau would be applicable.
No, we are talking about sustainment of society which is a scientific concept that is better studied using tools of modern advanced academia.

You can't go and tell physicists that you will better apply concepts of Aristotle than Newton when talking about physics because... that is what you feel more comfortable with.

I don't give a fuck. You don't get to claim ANY authority about anything if you just selectively and willfully ignore majority of existing knowledge on the subject.

Society is not a philosophical problem. It's a very real thing.

>Society sustains itself by exerting its power
Your definition of power is meangless, kiddo!

>Fuck scientists.
In other words:
>FUCK REALITY!
>FUCK BASIC CRITERIA OF VALIDITY OR
>FUCK ANYTHING THAT COULD ACTUALLY TIE MY WORDS TO ANYTHING REAL!
>FUCK ANYTHING THAT COULD PROVE ME WRONG!

I think we are done here.

>you see human society in different terms than through moralistic explanations.
If that perception can't be tied to reality, then it's not perception. It's a delusion.

>It's largely a product of the post-structuralists, especially Foucault.
Yeah. My point exactly. A man who says the exact opposite to Nietzsche in the end one of the intellectual linchpins of the new Marxist ideology.
And also a man who talks a LOT out of his ass.

>Why don't you start screeching about cultural Marxism now?
See above. People like you - if not members of it, enable them. You parrot their philosophy.

>when modern sociology is derived from Marx's works
Yeah, because people like Weber did not exist? Yeah. Sure. No sociology without Marx exists at all...

>You can't find evidence of society having an actual existence outside of the heads of the people living in it.
I can. By measuring patterns. There are more ways to define reality and truth than purely materialistic one.
Also... are you 16 and high?
>>
>>54995813
You do realize that Aristotle's concepts are experiencing a revival in physics because they help understand complex quantum problems right? This out of hand disregard of philosophy has actually hindered our pursuit of knowledge.

>Society is not a philosophical problem. It's a very real thing.

It isn't though. It's just an idea and ideas can only be understood philosophically.

No, just fuck scientists. You get idiotic things like them trying to solve ethics scientifically from them, which is laughable.

>Your definition of power is meangless, kiddo!

You haven't demonstrated that.

>If that perception can't be tied to reality, then it's not perception. It's a delusion.

But it is tied to reality. Human action is an exercise of human power.

>Yeah. My point exactly. A man who says the exact opposite to Nietzsche in the end one of the intellectual linchpins of the new Marxist ideology.

Oh, so you're just ignorant. Foucault was hated by Marxists and hated them in return. His rejection of progress flies in the face of Marxism.

>See above. People like you - if not members of it, enable them. You parrot their philosophy.

Cultural Marxism doesn't exist, I mean even less so than many other things.

>Yeah, because people like Weber did not exist? Yeah. Sure. No sociology without Marx exists at all...

Sociology is rooted in Marx's works. You do know that Marxism covers a lot more than just politics, right?

>I can. By measuring patterns.

Which patterns? How do you determine that they're a society from this?

>There are more ways to define reality and truth than purely materialistic one.

Non-materialistic explanations for reality are just materialism with fictional materials.
>>
>>54995907
>they help understand complex quantum problems right?
AHAHAHA, well you did say "fuck science" so I guess this is not a surprising claim.
No, kid. What is really happening is that scientists are finding amusing correlations between some Aristotelian ideas and what they are tackling. Which is fascinating, but not exact the same as what you said.

>This out of hand disregard of philosophy
I have VERY high regard of philosophy, kid. It's where I got most of my training too.
Unlike you, I just fucking understand it. And I also understand science. I know what each is good for, and I know when to apply one, or another.

And you desperately need to learn the same.

>It's just an idea and ideas can only be understood philosophically.
Objectively false. Society is a pattern displayed in empirically observable realm.

>You get idiotic things like them trying to solve ethics scientifically from them
None of what we were discussing was ethical.
We were discussing society. That is DESCRIPTIVE. You were making DESCRIPTIVE CLAIMS about society. You claimed that society IS X.
Not society SHOULD BE X. You say it is.
And to make a claim about what IS, you need better justifications than "Foucault, the old puff said so!"

>You haven't demonstrated that.
I did. You can't tie notion of will to empirically observable pattern called society.
End of discussion.

>Human action is an exercise of human power.
At this point it's actually just a religious mantra deprived of any meaning to you.
It does not inform me in any way usefully about the state of matters.
That is why philosophy is better suited to ethics: to claim about SHOULD, not IS.

>Cultural Marxism doesn't exist
That is for another debate. The concept exists, the validity of it's use is problematic. I don't actually use it to describe the left at all.

>You do know that
Yes. You don't know that sociology covers a LOT more than just Marxist ideas. And that is the problem.

>Which patterns?
Of behavior.
>>
>>54996037
Wow, you are a fountain of autism.
>>
>>54995907
>Non-materialistic explanations for reality are just materialism with fictional materials.
BLATANTLY FALSE. I think I've been though this exact discussion with someone in a different thread. Don't tell me you are going to invoke Spinoza and Hegel. Because there is a lot more to non-materialist philosophy than those guys.
>>
>>54996047
You know you can actually save your face by just... not posting, right?
You don't have to blatantly showcase you insecurity in the public like this?
>>
File: 1494626558224.jpg (266KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1494626558224.jpg
266KB, 850x1200px
>>54991849
:^)
>>
>>54996037
>No, kid. What is really happening is that scientists are finding amusing correlations between some Aristotelian ideas and what they are tackling. Which is fascinating, but not exact the same as what you said.

Whatever you say, bub.

>I have VERY high regard of philosophy, kid. It's where I got most of my training too.

And the racist shouts he has black friends, what's your point?

>Unlike you, I just fucking understand it. And I also understand science. I know what each is good for, and I know when to apply one, or another.

I understand science just fine, I just think scientists need to stay in their STEM playpen.

>Objectively false. Society is a pattern displayed in empirically observable realm.

No, it isn't. Society is just an idea. We agree that we are part of this society, because we have the idea within us and act accordingly. That's not the same as it have an empirical existence.

>None of what we were discussing was ethical.

Are you retarded? That was an example of what happens when scientists start talking philosophy rather than knowing their place below philosophy.

>And to make a claim about what IS, you need better justifications than "Foucault, the old puff said so!"

Human actions are an exercise of power, and society is a product of human action, ergo society is a product of power.

>I did.

No, you didn't. Power is the ability to see your will made manifest, will is a philosophical concept meant to explain a bunch of psychological processes in a way relevant to the field.

>Empirically observable pattern.

You haven't explained how these patterns indicate an objectively existing society.

>End of discussion

Danth's law.

>At this point it's actually just a religious mantra deprived of any meaning to you.

It has a very simple meaning. Human action is an exercise of power against factors internal and external that resist it.
>>
>>54996037

>Yes. You don't know that sociology covers a LOT more than just Marxist ideas. And that is the problem.

Modern sociology is derived from Marx's work, specifically his theory of historical materialism.

>Of behavior.

Be specific.

>>54996050
Yes, and in that thread you displayed yourself incapable of understanding what a monism is or what the terms materialism, idealism, or spiritualism refer to. There's a lot more to Spinoza and Hegel than their metaphysical claims about reality as well, that doesn't mean that their position as idealists wasn't a product of them being idealistic monists.
>>
>>54996066
He's not me. This may shock you, but more than one person thinks you're an idiot. I'm touched.
>>
>>54996161
I'm going to ignore a whole lot of completely needless bullshit here and skip to few relevant points?

>No, it isn't. Society is just an idea.
Fun question: would you claim that a pack of wolves is just an idea, and that it can be studied only philosophically?

How do scientist define a wolf pack, if that is something that only exists in the minds of the wolves! Wow! We just broke biology! It's sham, everyone, it's a sham!

>That was an example
It was irrelevant, you moron. I too agree that science making moral claims is not even science anymore: it's philosophy using scientific guise. There is nothing wrong about being scientifically informed when making a moral claim, especially if you are a consequentialist and science gives you good tools to predict consequences, but ultimately you can't pretend science makes for ethical grounds.

That said: it that has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

>Human actions are an exercise of power,
It's LITERALLY a mantra to you.

>will is a philosophical concept meant to explain a bunch of psychological processes
Not very well, actually. It's a lose conceptual framework with a lot of holes, but we use it to describe certain phenomonogies, mostly.

>You haven't explained how these patterns indicate an objectively existing society.
See the wolf pack example.
We can reliably predict behavior (which can be empirically measured) among certain groups of people. The pattern that we observe (the behavior appearing in an organized, reasonably predictable manner) is what we call society.
Just like with the wolf pack. We can observe wolves acting in a coherent, predictable manner. We call that pattern "pack".
And society is just a really complicated pack.

>It has a very simple meaning.
So does Namandabu.
It does not make it any more relevant to this discussion, or functional as an argument.
>>
>>54996184
>Modern sociology is derived from Marx's work
And that is a factual lie. Again, never heard of Max Weber?
Emile Durkheim?
Mills?
Bells?
None of it rings ANY BELLS in your head? OK then.

>Be specific.
Societal rules actually define virtually all our behavior. So being specific isn't that easy.
Use of language - the noises we make when we interact (you know, the noises that make you feel super uncomfortable and cause you to engage in some highly repetetive action to calm yourself down)? They aren't random. There is a pattern to them. We use them only in specific conditions and under specific guidelines. These can be observed and mathematically described, by the way.
These guidelines are one of the many faucets of the really complicated system of rules and patterns we call society. They don't happen JUST in our minds - they manifest themselves with sufficient predictability. I mean: I can understand what you are saying. More-or-less.

That is a good example of how we can establish existence of complex systems that are not materialistic, yet can be defined outside of realms of pure philosophy.

See the wolf pack example again, by the way. I really, REALLY want to see you get around that one.
>>
>>54996272
>Fun question: would you claim that a pack of wolves is just an idea, and that it can be studied only philosophically?

Sure. Whether a group of wolves or not can be considered a pack is indeed a philosophical question. But the behavior of the wolves is the domain of biologists, regardless of whether the pack has an objective existence.

>It's LITERALLY a mantra to you.

You haven't demonstrated error in it.

>Not very well, actually. It's a lose conceptual framework with a lot of holes, but we use it to describe certain phenomonogies, mostly.

In this case it's a shorthand.

>We can reliably predict behavior (which can be empirically measured) among certain groups of people. The pattern that we observe (the behavior appearing in an organized, reasonably predictable manner) is what we call society.

In what way does this objectively make it a society, rather than a convenient shorthand used by sociologists to do their job? Is this pattern of behavior equally a society a concept etched into the universe itself?

>Just like with the wolf pack. We can observe wolves acting in a coherent, predictable manner. We call that pattern "pack".

No, biologists call it a pack and we go along with it because we have no reason to object, but the pack itself has no objective existence.

>And society is just a really complicated pack.

And like a pack, has no objective existence.

>It does not make it any more relevant to this discussion, or functional as an argument.

You haven't demonstrated error in it, you've just autistically flailed at it.
>>
>>54996311
>those names

Yes and? I never claimed it was exclusively Marxist, just that modern sociology is derived from Marx's work, which is true.

>language

Several societies are composed of multiple languages, sharing the same language does not make two societies one. Try again.

>That is a good example of how we can establish existence of complex systems that are not materialistic, yet can be defined outside of realms of pure philosophy.

If it exists in material reality, it is a material concept. Nothing is outside of the realms of philosophy in knowledge either, science itself is just a subset of philosophy.
>>
>>54996337
>Sure. Whether a group of wolves or not can be considered a pack is indeed a philosophical question
And you are wrong again. Now you are trying to play it into semiotics (if a use of a term is truly appropriate in the context). But we already have a field that solved that. It's called general lingusitics, which observes that rules of use of certain terms is dictated by function and societary consensus.
So really, it's not a philsophical question at all: merely a linguistic, semiotical question.
Scientist can observe the behavior. Linguist can verify that the term they assigned for that behavior (pack) is indeed accepted by the rules of the language.

And a philosopher can fruitlessly wank off wondering if there is such a thing as "TRUE pack".
But nobody listens to him because his opinion is not actually informing anyone about anything. And concept of a pack of wolves, by the way, predates philosophy by I think few milliions of years. Regardless of what the philosopher says: people use words, and wolves behave.

You are also using the word "objectively" wrong here. Meanings are on the long list of things that are normative. And again: we do not need philosophers to establish meanings - though they can at times be helpful with that.

>You haven't demonstrated error in it.
There is no error in it. It's meaningless. That is not an error.

>rather than a convenient shorthand used by sociologists to do their job?
All meanings of all words are convenient shorthands used to make our lives and jobs easier, genius. Even the word "objective" which you keep misusing, is nothing more than a convenient heuristic to save us some time. EVERYTHING that philosophy does is the same too. Just bunch of heuristics, some more useful than others.

>s this pattern of behavior equally a society a concept etched into the universe itself?
Well, as much as the concept of a "stone" is. Or of a "wolf". Or anything that is in this world.
>>
>>54996456

Brah, you have some amazing patience, I'm genuinely surprised you kept going.
But, seriously, stop.
We both know that guy is never going concede anything. He's going to ask for a definition of every term until he has to ask for a definition of every logical operation and then he's going to question the validity of those operations and terms.
>>
>>54996456
>Scientist can observe the behavior. Linguist can verify that the term they assigned for that behavior (pack) is indeed accepted by the rules of the language.

Yes, and these legitimations are found in philosophy. You do know that science is based in philosophy, in fact was called natural philosophy (and should still be).

>And a philosopher can fruitlessly wank off wondering if there is such a thing as "TRUE pack".
>But nobody listens to him because his opinion is not actually informing anyone about anything. And concept of a pack of wolves, by the way, predates philosophy by I think few milliions of years. Regardless of what the philosopher says: people use words, and wolves behave.

Plenty of people listen to philosophers, they're how we put the discoveries of natural philosophy into the context of the human condition.

>There is no error in it. It's meaningless. That is not an error.

But it's not, it has a very simple meaning, you even agreed.

>All meanings of all words are convenient shorthands used to make our lives and jobs easier, genius. Even the word "objective" which you keep misusing, is nothing more than a convenient heuristic to save us some time. EVERYTHING that philosophy does is the same too. Just bunch of heuristics, some more useful than others.

Yep, and language is fundamentally meaningless as well. Whether these concepts have an actual, true existence is a question of philosophy.

>Well, as much as the concept of a "stone" is. Or of a "wolf". Or anything that is in this world.

Mereological nihilism is indeed a thing in philosophy, so the question of what is (the fundamental concern of metaphysics) is hardly as clear cut as you make it out to be. You can choose to ignore these questions and function just fine, just don't act as though they've been objectively answered.
>>
>>54996337
>No, biologists call it a pack and we go along with it because we have no reason to object, but the pack itself has no objective existence
The word pack is a normatively assigned symbol for a pattern of empiricial phenomena. "Objectivity" here is nothing more than yet another heuristic that says "this can be empirically observed reliably enough for us to not bother ourselves consistently doubting it".

I think you are - out of all other arguments, reaching for a transcendental requirement. That is how you know a poor philosopher is completely out of arguments.

>Marxist, just that modern sociology is derived from Marx's work
That is like saying that evolutionary theory is derived from Linnaeus work, or that philosophy is all derived from work of Aquinas. I mean yeah, they did work on it at some point, even had influence on many authors at some point. You are acting as if there was no such thing as sociological theory that isn't based in Marx work. But I just named five key sociologists who often even predated Marx, so...

He is not vital. Sociology would and DID exist before him. He is not a necessary component of sociological theories. And you are desperate.

>Several societies are composed of multiple languages,
As I said: desperate. Can you grasp at straws any more? I never said that language defines society. I said that language and their use are examples of how society MANIFESTS THEMSELVES you mongoloid.

>science itself is just a subset of philosophy.
And now we are going full vapid. "everything is philosophy, man... so deep man... fuck those scientists for claiming that they are doing something else than we do man..."

Fun fact, philosophy is not even part of every society. It's not necessary. It's useful. But to declare that science is "just a subset of philosophy" is dishonest. Science uses different method than philosophy. That is what defines it. You can't equate them. At best draw historical connection.
>>
>>54996549
How can STEMlords even compete?
>>
>>54996549
I'm entirely doing this for my own amusement, don't worry. I can't sleep and this helps me get through the night while also exercise a bit of rethorics and reasoning.

He is already reaching that point, by the way. I find it really fucking amusing.
I teach philosophy students by the way. You don't always come across someone this fucking dumb though.
>>
>>54996575
>I think you are - out of all other arguments, reaching for a transcendental requirement. That is how you know a poor philosopher is completely out of arguments.

No, I'm reaching for a truly empirical requirement. Something where someone who observed it would immediately know what it was without being told.

>That is like saying that evolutionary theory is derived from Linnaeus work, or that philosophy is all derived from work of Aquinas. I mean yeah, they did work on it at some point, even had influence on many authors at some point. You are acting as if there was no such thing as sociological theory that isn't based in Marx work. But I just named five key sociologists who often even predated Marx, so...

Of those sociologists, only two are considered the modern fathers of it and we contemporous to Marx. I know you hate Marxism, but stop downplaying his role in the field.

>He is not vital.

BULL. SHIT. He is one of the three modern fathers of the field, asshole.

>As I said: desperate. Can you grasp at straws any more? I never said that language defines society. I said that language and their use are examples of how society MANIFESTS THEMSELVES you mongoloid.

You said these patterns of behavior could be used to prove the existence of these societies, but you haven't demonstrated that.

>And now we are going full vapid. "everything is philosophy, man... so deep man... fuck those scientists for claiming that they are doing something else than we do man..."

The epistemological frameworks they rely on come from philosophy, and the field itself is properly called natural philosophy.

>Fun fact, philosophy is not even part of every society.

Neither is writing, nor science, what's your point?

>Science uses different method than philosophy.

The scientific method itself is a product of philosophy.
>>
>>54996619
>I teach philosophy students.

Prove it.
>>
>>54996562
>Yes, and these legitimations are found in philosophy.
No.Those legitimations are much, much older than philosophy. MOST societies never even developed philosophy in the sense you use it. Yet the sure as fuck had functioning semiotics.

Philosophy was one of the attempt to organize our understanding of these things. It's not where meanings come from: it's an interesting project to offer tools to describe it somehow.

>You do know that science is based in philosophy
There is a historical continuity. But that does not give philosophy superiority over it at all. In the end, science is - above all - reflection of our pragmatic needs in the pragmatic reality. So is philosophy, in many ways. But it all comes from reality. Not from philosophy.

>Plenty of people listen to philosopher
Except sometimes they fail to do so. Like you are right now. Philosophy, kid, is very fallible.

>it has a very simple meaning, you even agreed.
Nama Amida Butsu is my reply.
You can look up the meaning of those words yourself.
I mean those words do have meaning.
Now you tell me how much those helped this discussion, or this problem, and you'll see how I feel.

>Yep, and language is fundamentally meaningless as well.
Yeah... this is the point where you just have to start laughing.
Nothing has meaning! I'm so profound! There is no trascendent truth I can cling to! Yaaay I'm a philosopher!

If you deny meaning, you deny meaningful claims to be possible. By which you just deny any meaningfulness to your previous statement. And this is some REALLY freshmen philosophy.

>true existence is a question of philosophy.
Nobody gives a fuck about your arbitrary, useless definition of TRUE. It's not relatable to pragmatic reality.

Again, transcendency requirement. We have been over this in philosophy in a LONG time, by the way. You have some serious holes in your education.

>Mereological nihilism
It's actually really simple. Truth is "what allows you to function". Solved.
>>
>>54994631
I believe he has every right to insist whatever he pleases. I'm also not a lawyer so fuck if I know if it is actually valid here.
Either way, I have no right to judge what he marries, nor the actions of his wife if she fucking books it.

Their sex lives are not my business. I don't have any right to judge.

If they're eating and/or sacrificing outsiders, then no it's not OK. If they're eating and sacrificing only their own, then I have no right to judge.
>>
>>54996752
I doubt you could find a society with functioning science that doesn't also have philosophy.

>There is a historical continuity. But that does not give philosophy superiority over it at all. In the end, science is - above all - reflection of our pragmatic needs in the pragmatic reality.

No, it's a method developed from epistomological frameworks meant to account for human limitations in perception as discovered by philosophers.

>So is philosophy, in many ways. But it all comes from reality.

No, it comes from humans, through philosophy. Reality did not up and bestow upon us science.

>Except sometimes they fail to do so. Like you are right now. Philosophy, kid, is very fallible.

Sure, it created idiotic positivists like yourself.

>Nama Amida Butsu

Irrelevant. You admitted it has meaning, so does it have meaning or not? If not, I can point back to the very simple and easily understood meaning I gave.

>Yeah... this is the point where you just have to start laughing.

Language is self-referential, and the meaning of a word can only ever refer to other words, never to itself directly, so each word's meaning is understood through related and opposed concepts, but ultimately has no solid underpinning, rendering it fundamentally meaningless.

>If you deny meaning, you deny meaningful claims to be possible. By which you just deny any meaningfulness to your previous statement.

Meaning is contextual and personal, but not actually rooted in anything but subjective experience and social conditions.

>And this is some REALLY freshmen philosophy.

Derrida, actually.

>Nobody gives a fuck about your arbitrary, useless definition of TRUE. It's not relatable to pragmatic reality.

The value of pragmatism is a philosophical value judgment.
>>
>>54996822
So, if he starts a political party, advocates for eating every 3rd baby, and then wins, putting into law, you shrug and say "Well, it's not my place!"
I really hope you're just trolling. It's despairing to think a man such as what you present could exist.
>>
>>54996752

>We have been over this in philosophy in a LONG time, by the way.

Over is an overstatement. We were just unable to answer it and gave up, opting for answering highly specific problems. Ever since Nietzsche smashed systemized metaphysics, it's all been unwravelling.

>It's actually really simple. Truth is "what allows you to function". Solved.

Oh, but what if I'm driven by a falsehood and function just fine? Does that make this true?
>>
>>54996654
>No, I'm reaching for a truly empirical requirement (...)
And what the fuck made you believe that requirement is even valid or sensible? It's a condition that cannot be fulfilled.
You can set up what ever arbitrary bullshit requirement (this is a form of trascendental requirement, by the way, you should immediately recognize it).
Why should anyone bother to indulge that fucking waste of time.

>Of those sociologists,
Backtracking like a complete retard? OK. Thanks.

>He is one of the three modern fathers of the field, asshole.
And so was Aquinas. I like how you ignore that.

>You said these patterns of behavior could be used to prove the existence of these societies
What kind of proof EXACTLY do you expect? Oh yeah, we were over that: one equal to an apriori knowledge.
By the way. Here is a fan fact: you just denied the existence of society. I'm still waiting for you to look out of your window and see what is happening there... and ask yourself... "what the fuck am I doing?"
It's like denying existence of light. And asking for a proof of light that nobody who has been told what light is correctly identifies as light.

>The epistemological frameworks they rely on come from philosophy
No. Philosophy only helped to clarify the formulations of those epistemological frameworks. The frameworks themselves actually have deeper root. Pro-tip: it's the reality.

>Neither is writing, nor science, what's your point?
That philosophy does not constitute the concepts of truth, existence, objectivity, meaning. Merely tries to offer suitable, limited, heuristic formulations. But those exist even without philosophy. Philosophy is not an absolute authority on them.

>The scientific method itself is a product of philosophy.
That is an over-simplification, but what the hell is your point here?
That every claim ever made is actually philosophy? Because that is remarkably pointless and meaningless.
You just stretch the definition of the term to meaninglessness.
>>
>>54996861
Nice strawman.
Come back when you have the slightest clue what I'm espousing instead of just slinging arguments at your own feces.
>>
>>54996894

Now, I ain't got no fancy schoolin', but didn't he say language is eternally self referential and has no value?
Doesn't that mean he doesn't believe anything he says is of any value whatsoever?
That nothing has value, because we can only think through language?
>>
>>54996894
>Why should anyone bother to indulge that fucking waste of time.

Because you know goddamn well you wont have "won" and that will drive you nuts, being unwilling to relinquish the last word.

>Backtracking like a complete retard? OK. Thanks.

In what way? I said modern sociology is derived from Marx's work, Marx along with Weber and Durkeim is considered one of the modern fathers of the field.

>And so was Aquinas. I like how you ignore that.

Aquinas was just working off of Aristotle, and nobody in philosophy denies the significance of Aristotle, which deny Marx's role in sociology is comparable to.

>By the way. Here is a fan fact: you just denied the existence of society. I'm still waiting for you to look out of your window and see what is happening there... and ask yourself... "what the fuck am I doing?"

A bunch of individuals are pursuing their own egoisms.

>Pro-tip: it's the reality.

Prove it. Because we can't see those epistemological frameworks in reality at all.

>That philosophy does not constitute the concepts of truth, existence, objectivity, meaning.

Without philosophy, these terms have no meaning.

>That is an over-simplification, but what the hell is your point here?

That natural philosophy is a subset of philosophy.

>You just stretch the definition of the term to meaninglessness.

Hardly. Philosophy is the academic discipline of attempting to make sense of reality and all within it. There are several subsets to it, including natural philosophy that deal with it in more specialized fashions. Philosophy in the broad sense typically tries to put things in terms of the human condition (how does this relate to us and our lives?) but the specialized subsets deal with things in different manners, but all come back to that central premise.
>>
>>54996937
>That nothing has value, because we can only think through language?

Actually we think in terms of symbols and sensations, and ultimately our conscious thought is just a simplification of the underlying processes of our brain (the common mistake is in assuming that the consciousness is the self, hence how you get dumbass questions like "is sleep death?").
>>
>>54996860
>I doubt you could find a society with functioning science that doesn't also have philosophy.
Japan? China? India?
All of them skipped philosophy in the western sense, yet can do science well. Amazing, isn't it?

>meant to account for human limitations in perception as discovered by philosophers.
Actually, as discovered by everyone. It's not hard to discover limits of our perception.

They were formulated by philosophers. And that was useful. That is still not the same bloody thing.
Here is a fun thing you keep ignoring: There is a pragmatic distinction between philosophy and science in contemporary discourse. You keep screaming how based on history it's actually still the same thing... but pragmatically it isn't. Philosophy does not have authority over most claims science does. Being a philosopher does not make you a good judge of a scientific claim.
And that is another part of the pragmatic reality you don't like. So this entire line of argument is pointless.

>No, it comes from humans, through philosophy. Reality did not up and bestow upon us science.
Tons of pointless semiotics and I'm starting to get tired: Science is between us and reality.

Philosophy... not so much. That is all that matters.

>Sure, it created idiotic positivists like yourself.
Hardly a positivist. You should probably check what that words means. Pro-tip: it has a lot to do with logic.

>Irrelevant.
NOW YOU UNDESTAND! Great. I really just needed to stoop to your level.

>so does it have meaning or not?
It does. Vague, useless, and as you correctly noted: irrelevant.
But yes, the words are meaningful on their own. And as a chain of claims it can have meaning in very specified and narrow context. Not this one, though. It's completely meaningless in relation to this context. Fun fact - meanings have to consider context!

>Derrida, actually.
Sorry! I'll correct myself: that is a fraudulent thought that isn't philosophy. It's just an exercise in utter intellectual dishonesty.
>>
>>54997031
>it's not philosophy if it's not in the western sense
Fuck right back to the intellectually incestuous shithole you came from. While you're there, introduce them to the radical concept that other opinions have value and are not inherently wrong for being different.
>>
>>54996876
>We were just unable to answer it and gave up,
That is what we call "it's over".

>Oh, but what if I'm driven by a falsehood and function just fine?
You probably should have figured out that there is a little more to this statement. But no - you act like a retard and grasp on what is obviously a cheerful simplification of a more complex theory. Great. I'd refer you to Peterson that was already named here, and to his Darwinian theory of truth. But I'm afraid some retard like you will start posting shit because he is not a leftist.
>>
>>54997074
>That is what we call "it's over".

"It's over" and "we're over it" are two very different statements with different implications.

>Peterson

My only thoughts on Peterson are that not being antagonize a trans person by mis-gendering them is not the same as Nineteen Eighty Four Newspeak. I don't know anything about the man beyond his role in that controversy, aside from the fact he's an evolutionary psychologist.
>>
>>54997031
>All of them skipped philosophy in the western sense, yet can do science well. Amazing, isn't it?

But they fucking didn't. China and India are two of the birthplaces of philosophy, and Japan was influenced by Chinese philosophy.

>Actually, as discovered by everyone. It's not hard to discover limits of our perception.

So this is why the debate of whether we could know things took thousands of years to resolve with a "probably not, but let's try anyway."

>Science is between us and reality.

No. Science is a product of us. If it weren't, we wouldn't have needed to develop concepts like the scientific method of falsification to engage in it properly.

>Hardly a positivist. You should probably check what that words means. Pro-tip: it has a lot to do with logic.

You certainly seem to engage in a lot of the true/untrue/nonsense bullshit of the logical positivists and seem to consider sense experience an infallible route to knowledge like that failure of a system.

>NOW YOU UNDESTAND! Great. I really just needed to stoop to your level.

But you didn't demonstrate my concept to be as such. You just strutted about like the pigeon on the chessboard.

meanings have to consider context!

The context is how does human society sustain itself, and I contend it sustains itself through power, since human action is an exercise of power against resisting factors. What exactly is meaningless about that? Surely if you think Derrida is a fraud, you can engage in better deconstruction of my language.

>Sorry! I'll correct myself: that is a fraudulent thought that isn't philosophy. It's just an exercise in utter intellectual dishonesty.

But Derrida wasn't dishonest in the slightest, he just utterly destroyed the analytical philosophers on language.
>>
>>54997006
>Because you know goddamn well you wont have "won"
Of course I know I'm not going to win, I'm arguing with a desperate retard who pulls out radical scepticism and fucking Derrida even though he admits that it lead nowhere. You said so far that society does not exist outside of philosophy, then you declared that EVERYTHING IS PHILOSOPHY!, completely forgotten your original claim about society not being possible to study scientifically (despite, you know existence multiple scientific fields doing that, because FUCK SCIENCE!)... yeah, I know I'm not going to win against complete intellectual dishonesty.
It's not driving me nuts though. You are not the first or the last kid like this I'm dealing with. I teach kids, and every now and then, one like you comes. I've learned to live with that long time ago.

>I said modern sociology is derived from Marx's work,
You said you can't understand how I refer to sociology because sociology is all derived from Marx.
To which I replied: there is much in sociology that is not based in his theories. Like the people I mentioned and their theories.

Again: you forgot your own original argument: that I can't accept Sociology as an authority without accepting authority of Marx. But that is wrong. I can reject Marx and chose other sociological theories that don't use him.
It's that simple.

>are pursuing their own egoisms.
And also for some reason keeping you alive. And doing a bunch of things you chose to ignore because that does not make you feel superior to them as much.

>Prove it.
Radical scepticism. We are back at solipsim level of argument. Empty, meaningless notions that have no baring on pragmatic reality. If you deny pragmatic experience, you are not saying anything. You are making vaguely language-like noise.

>That natural philosophy is a subset of philosophy.
That is a definition that does not have to be accepted. In fact most people don't use the terms this way.
>>
>>54997256
No, my premise is that society is an idea, without a "real" existence, and thus can only be understood through philosophy, a field that deals with ideas. Sociology is not a hard science, it's rooted as much in philosophy as anything else. Science itself is a subset of philosophy however, it's just inapplicable to the broader questions that philosophy tackles.

>You said you can't understand how I refer to sociology because sociology is all derived from Marx.

Actually, I made fun of you for criticizing me for being a Marxist, when I'm not, and then touting a field that was derived from Marx's work. You just touted sociology, not a specific subset of it. You accused me of being Marxist for bringing up the very anti-Marxist Foucault, you fucking idiot.

>And also for some reason keeping you alive.

You do realize that egoism doesn't mean Randian egoism, right? Spinoza was an egoist and probably more moral than you.

>And doing a bunch of things you chose to ignore because that does not make you feel superior to them as much.

Why do you think I want to feel superior to them?

>Radical scepticism

Which is a valid portion of philosophy. You have yet to prove the validity of pragmatism, which itself is a philosophical notion that has no inherent basis in reality.

>That is a definition that does not have to be accepted.

Sure, but it's the way it was for most of human history, and there's been no good reason to separate the two, since science derives its methodologies and ideas from philosophy.

>In fact most people don't use the terms this way.

Most people consider Epicureanism to be a refined appreciation of the sensual pleasures, when this is directly counter to everything Epicureanism stood for.
>>
>>54997230
>China and India are two of the birthplaces of philosophy
Yet none of what you said has anything to do with THEIR epistemic or conceptual frameworks. Again you think that historical connection is the most relevant one. I can assure you: India or China never developed materialistic and physicalistic, or even atomist notions. So... yeah. Absolutely FUCK ALL connection to the specific branch of western philosophy that precluded science.

>know things took thousands of years to resolve with a "probably not, but let's try anyway."
Yet you absolutely refuse to actually heed this great conclusion.

>If it weren't, we wouldn't have needed to develop
If reality did not exist, we would not have developed either. That is why I'm saying: it's between us and reality.

>You certainly seem to engage in a lot of the true/untrue/nonsense bullshit of the logical positivists
I absolutely don't and I have to ask: do you even have formal philosophical education? Because this makes me think you might not. That is so blatantly false it's not even funny anymore.

>But you didn't demonstrate my concept to be as such.
OK. Show me how to do it. Demonstrate Nama Amida Butsu as irrelevant.

>The context is how does human society sustain itself, and I contend it sustains itself through power,
And we went full circle. Back to religious mantras again. Without ever actually formulating what "meaning" is (in relation to pragmatic reality), or "sustain" in realation to anything etc...

I really, really like how you ACTUALLY do the magical word thing though. How you just repeat the same phrase over and over, regardless of whenever anyone is actually listening anymore. Gives you confidence doesn't it?

>he just utterly destroyed the analytical philosophers on language.
AHAHAHAHAHA JESUS FUCKING CHRIST NO. He did not. Fun fact: ask a general linguist about Derrida one day. You are going to have a laugh.

Derrida, my friend, is a fraud. I more ways than you could even begin realizing.
>>
>>54997363
>No, my premise is that society is an idea, without a "real" existence
And my premise is that your definition of "real" is meaningless. Which you I think even accepted yourself.

>questions that philosophy tackles.
And philosophy is inapplicable to many questions that science tackles.

>when I'm not,
But you still define power though a concept that was defined by Marxist-inspired philosopher, Foucault. You just might not be aware of who you are parroting, really. And you blame Nietzsche, ironically.

>the very anti-Marxist Foucault,
Yes, because his ideas of society being construed through oppression of powerless by powerful majority vague societal identities is very-anti-Marxist, right? Oh god. This is golden. I should screencap this shit.

>Why do you think I want to feel superior to them?
Well, basing this on your obsession with vapid, meaningless dead-end philosophies through which you derive the right to scream FUCK SCIENCE, for starters.

The very fact that you hold on to literally dead-end philosophies such as radical scepticism is a good proof that you embrace philosophy because it makes you feel smarter, not because you actually desire to achieve anything of value.

>Which is a valid portion of philosophy.
No, it isn't. Someone so fond of Nietzsche should know that too.
It's not a valid part of philosophy: it's a giant FUCKUP that philosophy is trying desperately to avoid.
It's literally NOTHING. A proof of reasoning going wrong. Failure of reason.

>You have yet to prove the validity of pragmatism
I don't, it's based on assumption of self-evidence. Do you know anything about pragmatism. AT ALL?!

>and there's been no good reason to separate the two
You seriously can't think of a reason why we should draw line between two systems with RADICALLY OPPOSING methodologies?

>when this is directly counter to everything Epicureanism stood for.
Philosophy has authority over what Epicureanism menas. Science has authority over what science means.
>>
>>54997377
>Yet none of what you said has anything to do with THEIR epistemic or conceptual frameworks. Again you think that historical connection is the most relevant one. I can assure you: India or China never developed materialistic and physicalistic, or even atomist notions. So... yeah. Absolutely FUCK ALL connection to the specific branch of western philosophy that precluded science.

Yet didn't engage in science before philosophy.

>Yet you absolutely refuse to actually heed this great conclusion.

In what way?

>If reality did not exist, we would not have developed either. That is why I'm saying: it's between us and reality.

No, we exist between reality and science. Science is not something external to us, it is a concept of us.

>do you even have formal philosophical education?

No, I don't.

>OK. Show me how to do it. Demonstrate Nama Amida Butsu as irrelevant.

The fact it deals not with power, nor society, nor human action?

>And we went full circle.

You're trying your absolute hardest to drag this discussion away from that, yes.

>Back to religious mantras again.

In what way is it a mantra?

>Without ever actually formulating what "meaning" is (in relation to pragmatic reality), or "sustain" in realation to anything etc...

Reality is not inherently pragmatic. Pragmatism is a theory of knowledge, not reality. But no, I'm not equipped to explaining meaning, but sustains is easy enough: perpetuates itself and doesn't collapse.

>AHAHAHAHAHA JESUS FUCKING CHRIST NO. He did not. Fun fact: ask a general linguist about Derrida one day. You are going to have a laugh.

You realize the analytic philosophers engaged in fruitless shit like trying to ground language in logic, right? Linguists are not the same as analytic philosophers.

>Derrida, my friend, is a fraud. I more ways than you could even begin realizing.

PROVE IT
R
O
V
E

I
T
>>
>>54997499
>And philosophy is inapplicable to many questions that science tackles.

But science is just philosophy.

>But you still define power though a concept that was defined by Marxist-inspired philosopher, Foucault. You just might not be aware of who you are parroting, really. And you blame Nietzsche, ironically.

But he wasn't. He was inspired by Nietzsche.

>Yes, because his ideas of society being construed through oppression of powerless by powerful majority vague societal identities is very-anti-Marxist, right? Oh god. This is golden. I should screencap this shit.

It's not, it doesn't relate to the worker/owner dynamics of Marxism and he rejects Marxist progress. His ideas are rooted in Nietzsche's understanding of the Will to Power.

>Well, basing this on your obsession with vapid, meaningless dead-end philosophies through which you derive the right to scream FUCK SCIENCE, for starters.

But I didn't say fuck science. I said fuck scientists, because you were acting as though the only way a term can be useful is if it's scientific, like a fucking STEMlord.

>The very fact that you hold on to literally dead-end philosophies such as radical scepticism is a good proof that you embrace philosophy because it makes you feel smarter, not because you actually desire to achieve anything of value.

All this projection. I am interested in philosophy because its underlying questions have haunted me from a young age, probably due to a shitty childhood, but hey, let's make broad assumptions about my character. I haven't bashed you for seeming like an alt-right nutcase.

>No, it isn't. Someone so fond of Nietzsche should know that too.

But I'm not super fond of Nietzsche I just recognize him as a highly influential philosopher.

>Do you know anything about pragmatism. AT ALL?!

That knowledge which can't be put to use is just trivia, and knowledge is ultimately defined through what we can do with it.
>>
>>54997499
>You seriously can't think of a reason why we should draw line between two systems with RADICALLY OPPOSING methodologies?

But they don't. Science's methodology comes from philosophy. Karl Popper was a philosopher.

>Philosophy has authority over what Epicureanism menas. Science has authority over what science means.

Neither of those are actually anything that can hold authority.
>>
>>54997505
>Yet didn't engage in science before philosophy.
Engaged in science without having understanding of the philosophy that precluded it. And are pretty good at it.

>In what way?
Because you are still using radical scepticism as an argument? How is that not fucking obvious?

>No, we exist between reality and science
I'm just going to assume you mistyped that and leave at that again.

>No, I don't.
That actually explains a LOT.

>nor society, nor human action?
What do you think that phrase means?

>You're trying your absolute hardest to drag this discussion away from that, yes.
Yeah, people generally tend to drag discussion from using circular logic. I understand that you don't really KNOW philosophy, but circular logic is generally something that is frowned upon.

>In what way is it a mantra?
Uh... you don't know what a mantra is?

>Reality is not inherently pragmatic.
What... the... fuck...

>Pragmatism is a theory of knowledge, not reality.
Knowledge is our grasp of reality, kid. Again transcendental requirement, you desire to talk about reality BEYOND knowledge. Well, good luck with that!

>But no, I'm not equipped to explaining meaning
You are really not equipped to explain anything. Which is the problem I had with you talking from the start.

>PROVE IT
Considerable portions of his texts don't fit Zipfs law and number of other linguistic tools for coherent language detection.
Also: Read Sperbers article on Obscurantism. Also try applying Grices rules of communication, or Sperbers Relevance theorem to his texts.

>But science is just philosophy.
Not by any contemporary dictionary definition. They have widely different methodology. This is what we end up with. "There is no such thing as science". And also "philosophy can solve all problems, we don't need science as an individual entity".

>But he wasn't.
This is so blatantly wrong that I'm just going to ignore it. No, he was not. Like you aren't. He misused him. You admited that yourself, too.
>>
>>54997598
>It's not, it doesn't relate to the worker/owner dynamics
Except considerable portions of Marx philosophy is not focused on Worker/Owner dynamics. That particularly obviously dumb part of Marx has been rejected LONG ago. Adorno, Horkenheimer and Habernas also rejected economical parts of Marx yet they are - beyond any doubt - labeled Marxist philosophers. You never studied Marx, have you?

>like a fucking STEMlord.
Ignoring how much you are proving my point about your desperate need for security: the fact that you use term reserved for some of the most productive departments of academia in the world as an insult is really telling.

>I am interested in philosophy because its underlying questions have haunted me from a young age
I don't give a fuck about your sob story: it does not actually justify your stupidity, AND poor education AND the immense arrogance with which you go out into public spouting this utter SHITE, kid. You are compensating for shitty childhood and grasp to poor understanding of the worst parts of philosophy to feel better about yourself. Great. I already assumed as much.

>But I'm not super fond of Nietzsche
You literally use his words as mantra, kid. Have you looked that word up yet?

>and knowledge is ultimately defined through what we can do with it.
Which is determined through means that are self-evident...

>Science's methodology comes from philosophy.
HISTORICALLY. But that is not relevant to actual practice of science, or the role that science performs in our society.

Oh, wait. You don't believe in society. Just power.

Yeah, I'm getting bored with you, I guess you noticed.

>Neither of those are actually anything that can hold authority.
If you are radical scepticist, sure. Nothing meanings anything, nobody knows anything blah blah blah. What a fucking joke. Why do you waste time on saying things that have no impact on existence?
Because it makes you feel smarter and superior about yourself, that is why.
>>
>>54997743
>Engaged in science without having understanding of the philosophy that precluded it. And are pretty good at it.

Can you prove that their science was distinct from their philosophy? Because I've read some Chinese philosophers, and they were happy to dabble in natural philosophy like our western ones.

>Because you are still using radical scepticism as an argument? How is that not fucking obvious?

My scepticism isn't radical. I don't reject reality itself, only ideas within it.

>That actually explains a LOT.

Sue me.

>Yeah, people generally tend to drag discussion from using circular logic. I understand that you don't really KNOW philosophy, but circular logic is generally something that is frowned upon.

Don't talk down to me because you were rich enough for a formal education you piece of shit. I know what circular logic is, and it's not what I was engaging in.

>Uh... you don't know what a mantra is?

It's only a mantra in that it's been repeated, it doesn't carry any of the typical connotations.

>What... the... fuck...

Pragmatism relates to how we use knowledge and tools, it is not a description of reality.

>Knowledge is our grasp of reality, kid.

Knowledge is knowledge and reality is reality. Pragmatism is just a theory of how to use knowledge, of which there are several theories.

>You are really not equipped to explain anything. Which is the problem I had with you talking from the start.

Fuck off.

>Considerable portions of his texts don't fit Zipfs law and number of other linguistic tools for coherent language detection.
>Also: Read Sperbers article on Obscurantism. Also try applying Grices rules of communication, or Sperbers Relevance theorem to his texts.

Obscurantism is just a meaningless analytic buzzword. Derrida absolutely has a point about the structure of language, and ultimately proved to be an influential philosopher. Langauge being fundamentally without solid basis doesn't mean we can't still study it.
>>
>>54997743
>No, he was not. Like you aren't. He misused him.

No, he used him as it suited him. He was influenced by Nietzsche, any credible source on contemporary philosophy will back this up. He was never an orthodox Marxist, or even much of a Marxist at all.

>>54997866
>Adorno, Horkenheimer and Habernas also rejected economical parts of Marx yet they are - beyond any doubt - labeled Marxist philosophers. You never studied Marx, have you?

They still believed in Marx's theory of class struggle, which Foucault rejected.

>Ignoring how much you are proving my point about your desperate need for security: the fact that you use term reserved for some of the most productive departments of academia in the world as an insult is really telling.

Science and scientism are two very different things, learn that.

>I don't give a fuck about your sob story:

I don't expect you to. I just expect you to not make sweeping statements about my character like an arrogant piece of shit. I'm not going to back down from a discussion just because your daddy was richer than mine.

>Have you looked that word up yet?

SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT.

>Which is determined through means that are self-evident...

The fact we have competing theories of knowledge says otherwise you arrogant twit.

>HISTORICALLY. But that is not relevant to actual practice of science, or the role that science performs in our society.

As recent as the 20th fucking century asshole.

>If you are radical scepticist, sure.

My scepticism is not radical. I am sceptical of the inherent validity of certain ideas. For a man with a formal education, you're not very fond of particulars.

Also you're kind of a rude little shit.
>>
>>54997869
>Can you prove that their science was distinct from their philosophy?
Uh... can you provide a single classical Chinese philosophy that is a strict materialist?

>I don't reject reality itself, only ideas within it.
That is literally nonsense. And also... your claims are actually completely inconsistent. I don't know if you even realize this but you switch between DEMANDING transcendentalism, and absolute scepicism. You talk about truth and reality, but then you reject validity of any human grasp on them.
You don't really know what you are saying.

>Sue me.
I wish I could.

>Don't talk down to me because you were rich enough for a formal education you piece of shit.
Really hitting the nail on the head here, aren't I. Fun fact: I worked my arse off to be able to afford that. And I'm talking down to you because you are a clueless, arrogant, dishonest piece of shit.

>It's only a mantra in that it's been repeated
You use it to regain emotional stability and security through it's repetition and familiarity. That is PRECISELY what a mantra is.

>Knowledge is knowledge and reality is reality.
Yeah, there is no connection between the two what so ever...
Look you fuck, this boring. We are reaching a point where you don't understand what is wrong with circular reasoning, or what is wrong with statement "You can't say anything and believe it's true. Which is a true statement".

We have too long been just flailing in the most pathetic, most dishonest relativism and scepticism of the absolutely most unproductive form.

You created as set of tools that allows you to reject or accept ANY claims depending purely on your emotions. Which is also why you seem to have fondness of postmodernist. And why I initially identified you with Marxist, who do the exact same dishonest act to justify themselves.

You have a set of tools that cannot produce useful knowledge, but can always validate your feelings. That is what your embrace of rad scepticism means.
>>
>>54998005
>Uh... can you provide a single classical Chinese philosophy that is a strict materialist?

What does that have to do with science? The enlightenment, which heralded massive advances in science was largely rooted in dualistic and idealistic philosophy.

>And also... your claims are actually completely inconsistent.

Point out where it's easy to lose track of yourself in "discussions" like this.

>I wish I could.

Asshole.

>Really hitting the nail on the head here, aren't I. (sic)

Forgot your question mark.

>Fun fact: I worked my arse off to be able to afford that.

I'm sure luck had no role in it.

>And I'm talking down to you because you are a clueless, arrogant, dishonest piece of shit.

Clueless I can accept, but I am no way arrogant or dishonest.

>Yeah, there is no connection between the two what so ever...

Not directly, no.

>You can't say anything and believe it's true. Which is a true statement".

But I haven't said that.

What has been dishonest about anything I've said?

>You created as set of tools that allows you to reject or accept ANY claims depending purely on your emotions.

That's literally all anyone does. If you actually tried me rather than sperging out on minor points, you'd probably find my practical worldview (rather than theoretical one) to be quite reasonable. But you're an unempathetic little turd.

>You have a set of tools that cannot produce useful knowledge, but can always validate your feelings. That is what your embrace of rad scepticism means.

I AM NOT A RADICAL SCEPTICIST. Scepticism produced the methodologies and epistemology required to engage in science, the criticism of sceptics is important. Without Hume, we wouldn't have had Kant as we know him.
>>
>>54997964
>No, he used him as it suited him
PRECISELY. Not as it suited Nietsche's theory.
As it suited HIM.

Which is something you might find acceptable, but it's also dishonest.

>They still believed in Marx's theory of class struggle
Not really (also a thing you need to study before making claims, another notion that eludes you, and which you then excuse by "I'm poor!" shit).

>I just expect you to not make sweeping statements about my character
Your character is shit and after this discussion, I'm entirely justified to claim that.
But you don't really believe in a possibility of a justified claim, so why do you worry?

>SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT.
I have to admit something: I never thought I'd find joy in seeing people squirm as much as I do. I never found joy in making people mad over the internet.
I think this is the first time I do. You fucking deserve this shit. If you are uncomfortable right now: you actually deserve that.
I don't think I've ever thought about anyone this way after ten years on this site...

>The fact we have competing theories of knowledge says
You do not have a theory of knowledge. Which is why you making any claims as if they had any value is a joke.

>As recent as the 20th fucking century asshole.
Yeah, that is as old as science is. Can we move on from historical triva?

>I am sceptical of the inherent validity of certain ideas.
Yeah. All that don't validate your feelings and needs for arbitrary intellectual superiority. I'm not fond of dishonesty, kid.
I'm not fond when someone presents himself as an authority, insults others and entire classes of people, only to reveal that there is no coherency to this thoughts, and that literally says what ever will validate his irrational side of personality.

You use knowledge, philosophy and science as your personal masturbation tool. And I find that fucking distasteful. It's an insult to everyone who restrains himself and actually exercises consistency and standards.
>>
>>54998110
>PRECISELY. Not as it suited Nietsche's theory.

So? You shouldn't use any philosophy with intent of living up to its theorist. Philosophies are just tools.

>Not really

Adorno reflected extensively on the nature of class, I'm not so sure about those others.

>I'm entirely justified to claim that.

Only in your own mind.

>But you don't really believe in a possibility of a justified claim, so why do you worry?

Not an intrinsically justified one, no.

>I don't think I've ever thought about anyone this way after ten years on this site...

You're keep calling me kid, but the only one acting like a child here is yourself.

>You do not have a theory of knowledge.

Nope.

>Yeah, that is as old as science is.

...no. Science as a formal discipline probably stems to Aristotle, though natural philosophers were speculating before that.

>Yeah. All that don't validate your feelings and needs for arbitrary intellectual superiority. I'm not fond of dishonesty, kid.

I've never claimed intellectual superiority. I only said fuck scientists, because I wasn't engaging in a scientific concept and didn't want to discuss science with you as though it were the only valid field of thought.

And I only insulted you after you started making sweeping assumptions about me and my beliefs in an insulting fashion, asshole. And yeah, scientism is something to scorn.

>You use knowledge, philosophy and science as your personal masturbation tool.

You take that back you piece of garbage. I love all of those.

>It's an insult to everyone who restrains himself and actually exercises consistency and standards.

Your consistency here has been consistently acting like an arrogant piece of shit who thinks pragmatism is the be all and end all of knowledge and your standards have been shitposting in an autosaging thread to prove how fucking educated you are. You want to talk about masturbation? Lets talk about you spending your education like this.
>>
>>54998096
>What does that have to do with science?
If you can't follow you own trail of arguments, I'm not going to do it for you.

>Asshole.
I have a very pragmatic reasons for this claim. People like you are actually dangerous to the society whose presence you denies.

>I'm sure luck had no role in it.
No what so ever.

>but I am no way arrogant or dishonest.
You are NOTHING but that. You insult the entirety of philsophy. You insult everyone who thinks that philosophy does not serve self-validation, when you use their words to validate yourself, instead of seeking it to generate something of use.

You insult Nietzsche - like Foucault did - when you use his words to justify EXACTLY the kind of approach he so fundamentally despised.

You insult Popper when you mention him - the man who made some of the biggest contributions to establishing science and independent of philosophy as possible - as a fucking tool to validate your desperate sense of superiority stemming from associating yourself with being a philsopher.

You defend people who ACTIVELY TRIED EXPLOIT naivity of people and of accademic system to make money, at the expense of academic standards.
Because it fits you feelings.

Your vague, completely flexible theory of knowledge that can't be questioned, can't be used to generate knowledge, but can be used to make mental gymnastics that make you seemingly impervious to intellectual criticism.

You use philosophy to draw people AWAY from knowledge. You want people tend up with knowing less, not more. Because that will make you feel good.

Because that is how you compensate for your shitty childhood.

And I'm done with you. I'm off to bed. Enjoy the rest of your shitty life that you blame on bad luck, never even realizing that it may have been your intellectual and pragmatical laziness that got you were you are.
Not other people being rich or lucky.
>>
>>54998233
Have a good night, anon. Keep fighting the good fight.
>>
>>54998219
>>54998233
Last thing: just so that you are fully informed on what happend.

You demanded that I tie concept of society to concept of "reality".
However you from the start hold a definition or reality that AXIOMATICALLY cannot be tied to any human concept reliably.
Which means that you knew from the START that there is no argument - by your chosen philosophy - that could prove you wrong.

You asked me to play a game that was rigged. There was no possibility of me winning and you knew that.

That is dishonest.

You hold a philsophy that denies any justification can be trully sufficient to make a claim.
But you declare that claim justified.
And you scream FUCK SCIENTISTS when they make a claim that you don't find justified.

THAT is dishonesty, and arrogance.
And the fact that you did not even admit these intellectual dishonesties to you adds another problem.

DELUSION.

Now you are informed about what you have done wrong.
What you do with that is up to you.
>>
>>54998233
INSULT NIETZSCHE?! YOU ARROGANT PIECE OF TRASH!

Nietzsche would reject anyone using his work dogmatically, one of his aphorisms specifically rejected that notion, and then you fucking claim I'm insulting Nietzsche after you called him an armchair philosopher?

Fuck you. Go fuck yourself.
Thread posts: 429
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.