[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay. I need help with killing a character. I'm running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: skull-icon-png-33.png (29KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
skull-icon-png-33.png
29KB, 480x480px
Okay. I need help with killing a character. I'm running a campaign, and long story short one of my PCs is changing characters. I was okay with it, and all of the other players were too. Now I need to kill him off. We're only 1 session in, so it's not too big of a change since it's so early. How can I kill his old character off, and introduce his new one. The old one is basically retarded with an INT of 6, and the new character is a traveling monk. I was thinking about making it so that their's a bounty on the old character, and a bounty hunter comes to collect his prize, then the new character meets them in a town or something. What do you guys think?
>>
Okay, so killing a character is a source of tremendous drama unless everything is fair/perfect.

I cannot in good conscious inflict that on any party unless I know why you need this character to die.

Just have rocks fall
>>
>>54979983
Retard pisses off the monk after acting like a dick to everyone/ revealing himself to be evil, who goes Bruce lee on his ass

Or just have the retard leave and get recruited by their enemies/ becomes a bandit
>>
>>54979983
you should remove him from play but NOT kill him, only fake his death. Then later on you can totally bring him back as someone else's henchman or something.
>>
>>54980036
The character is becoming a chore for everyone to deal with, and keep him under conrtol. He's a belligerent alcoholic with no sense of norms and customs, and his low INT just increases all of that. Just in the first session he managed to nearly get himself killed by a 7' tall adventurer with battle scars, and everything else that makes you think "I shouldn't fuck with this guy", and completely destroy someone's house, and entire life's work.
>>
>>54980052

This.

Whenever I run games players tend to enjoy seeing their old companions down the line, months or even real-life years later. Sometimes they're minor antagonists, sometimes they're minor helpful NPCs, sometimes they play huge part in the current situation.

Killing off a character so a player can switch is usually pretty lazy, unless it can be used in a way to creatively propel the story forward.
>>
>>54980097

Have you thought about talking with the player? Is everyone still having a good time?

Or are character deaths considered cool with the group?
>>
>1 session in
Just retcon the old character out. He never existed. The group was traveling with the new character the whole time.
>>
>>54980266
I was thinking that, but he already did a bunch of things in the last game that would have a big impact in the future.
>>
>>54980844
so replace him with the new character
>>
File: purge.gif (5MB, 540x320px) Image search: [Google]
purge.gif
5MB, 540x320px
>>54979983
Go with Overkill.

>Party is enjoying a pleasant day in bumfuck town
>suddenly sky rips open, deposits a crew of adamantium golem-knights directly in front of party
>"WE ARE THE CHRONOKNIGHTS, HERE TO STOP A TERRIBLE-"
>one points to the character-to-die
>"THERE HE IS!"
>*purging-with-my-kin intensifies*
>beat him to a bloody pulp with their bare hands
>then keep beating him
>pull out enchanted swords
>hammers
>a flamethrower
>one of them lights up a couple of Maximized Disintegrations from a wand
>go back to beating on him for a few more minutes
>suddenly they begin to fade away
>"YOU ARE WELCOME MORTALS, THE FUTure is secured-......."
>new character wanders over
>"What the FUCK was THAT about?"
>>
>>54982355
Dingdingdingdingding

This is your answer here

If the guy's so retarded have him fuck off on his own, the player can say he does it and you never see him again

No muss no fuss no drama necessary, he just goes off happily to gig frogs for the rest of his life
>>
>>54982495
I would very much like the source of this Linkin Park parody.
>>
>>54982695
If The Emperor Had A Text-to-Speech Device
>>
>>54982695
>>54982795
For clarification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVArOQVtGUc&ab_channel=Artanisenpai04
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.